Heraldry and Coats of Arms

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Anon of D'Athen

Heraldry and Coats of Arms

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

I've seen so many attempts at heraldry in this game it occasionally makes me facepalm. Forcibly.
So, here's a file free for all which will help all of you figure out how to make, if not completely accurate and historical, will at least be more medieval in feel. Sure, no one has to do this, but to follow these guidelines will help create a more real background story for Illarion.

http://www.modaruniversity.org/Newcomer ... raldry.pdf

Enjoy!

PS
And if anyone needs help decoding this packet, feel free to PM me. I generally check the forum once or twice a week. Yeah, I know, I'm a lurker.
PPS
bonus points if anyone can figure out my own coat of arms: azure, a bend vert fimbreated (sometimes cotised) between two morning glories argent.
rakust dorenstkzul

Re: Heraldry and Coats of Arms

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Also, to add to this helpful post, If your interest has been piqued, check this out: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 8&p=655040

(For reference purposes, because i frankly think these are excellent to look at.)

The standard of Diedenshausen
Coat of arms of the Schlieffen family.
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

Is the second one German? As far as I know, those are the only people who put color on color.
As for that contest, I'd like to do it, but I've no skill with any programs which would allow me to make the devices which you have asked for.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

I think it's German, i just spotted it when i was getting stuff to reference while entering that contest.

apparently, German heraldry is public domain.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:apparently, German heraldry is public domain.
Not really. German laws a little complicated; you may use coats of arms that are in use by an official institution (town etc.) to e.g. illustrate a book about said town. But you must not use the coat of arms for your own purposes, especially not claiming it for you or your institution. For coats of arms that are not in use by an official institution, most probably, copyright has expired.