Eco-Terrorism

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tywill

Eco-Terrorism

Post by Tywill »

What with the increase of industrial progress and conversion of wilderness into farmland and housing,
there could also be a rising outcry for defense and conservation of the forests and undeveloped lands.
Maybe the smokestacks of Old Varshikar (Kumdah?) might attract some extremist attention?
Then again no one wants their hard work to go up in flames due to some irate halfing named "Strawberry" >.> character idea.. anyways,
The point is, with the world developing a little, some of the problems of such an environment could be a bit more commonplace.

First comes the oil pipeline, then the people who break it, then the people that protect it, escalation, etc.
It could add a lesser explored atmosphere to game play, and bring exciting new conflicts and role playing to light!

Though this is merely a passing thought, I wonder what others might think?
Djironnyma

Re: Eco-Terrorism

Post by Djironnyma »

Someone Played to much Fable 3? :D

in general you are free to play such a Char - but i see no reason for speaking / planing it ooc :)
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

To be totally honest, I think such ideals are a little modern for Illarion and the people of Gobaith. I just can't realistically imagine fantasy characters putting much thought into it, hell, we didn't however many years ago when our technology was like that... minus the magic and monsters. Love the creativity though!
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

I find it there are kind of two worlds:
The one with magic, that never had a need for techonology and electronics and science and all that which makes our modern world the modern dying world we live in, and instead keeps the world in a state of "never ending" medieval time with a few differences to it compared to our medieval ages due to the magical influences (the other races counting as magical influences I suppose)
And the one we live in, who never had any magic (atleast as far as we know) and relay on the technology that we're slowly overdoing in a way that will eventually kill us :P

So as I see it Illarion has no need for industry and all of that.

..And I agree with Dji on the fable 3 thing :P
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

There's a difference between being anti manufacturing, and pro enviroment, play a vegan elf that picks fight with people in leather.
Athian

Post by Athian »

@Qeewee
Technology exists in illarion and a lot of fantasy. The difference is in the time period you live in. Now in 2012 we think of ourselves as technologically advanced, but a thousand years from now our technologies will likely be viewed in the same way we view medieval technology. metal working, House building, ship building, plowing and so on are all still technology, advanced technology if you lived in the time :wink:

The fantasy genre in actuality has many examples of technology and magic combined. Magic is a technology in many series, it's just a technology that is too complex for the majority of people who use it to understand.

@ Eco-terriorm

Depends on the scale here I would say. Illarion is not the kind of world environment that modern earth is where people have the luxury to sit around and think about what the effects of the smoke stacks in Salkamar have on the frozen desert. Large scale eco-terrorism is a well-to-do sort of terrorism. People don't have the time to consider indirect environmental effects when they have to concern themselves with day to day survival. In fact considering the map, it seems that ALL of the world of illarion has yet to even be discovered ^^

Small scale things on the other hand make sense. Elves attacking people who are destroying there forest homes could be considered a form of eco-terrorism. Lizards attacking boats that are overfishing there waters is another example.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Yes yes, I know I use the technology word wrong, but I've always done so and it's very difficult to change bad habits :P But I would think I still made my point clear, my whole point being that magic would have an effect on how advanced technology is as a whole lot of the technology we have invented would not be needed in a world where magic exists like in illarion.
Athian

Post by Athian »

I'm not arguing just discussing mind you but i think it would depend. In an illarion like world technology would definitely exist. What you are thinking of is a world with free transmutable energy that can be employed for just about any use. In illarion though, magic exists but not everyone has access to it so the need for technology still exists(and it has its limitations for mortals ^^). Even In a fully magical world some technology would still exist too. Magic wouldn't effect how advanced technology was, it would simply effect the direction that technology took as a whole. A wand is a sort of magical technology for example, as are the Golbiath teleporter's. Neither are needed to do magic but they make life more convenient :)

But in a perfect world where magic could solve just about anything there wouldn't be any eco-terrorist's, that's for sure :lol:
Tywill

Post by Tywill »

Thanks for the speedy replies! I agree with the sentiments shared-

@Rakust (Though I don't think I'll make a fighty-elf all that soon. However, the thought of yelling "Meat is Murder" as a battle cry does have a bit of humor to it.)

I really just wanted an idea of people thought on the matter, and I got just that so thank you all very much for your input.

@Fable 3 :lol:
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Uhuru has been crying about trees for a while, mainly just to her family. They are chopped at a whim whenever they are in the way and just left to rot by many characters. Those digging treasure will then dig up the roots so the trees aren't able to regrow. I think there is room in the game for recognition of the beauty of nature. Also for those that do cherish it.
Owain

Post by Owain »

Play a druid.
Arcatius

Post by Arcatius »

I think that to describe it as well to do is accurate in a real life scenario, but I think that certain character concepts, such as elves and druids, would always be thinking of these concepts before other things, such as more effective plowing. In a world such as that, I would see even large scale acts being possible given the groups committing them pay specific attention to such a value as nature and its protection. There are several instances of fantasy being perfectly capable of supporting such things, and myths about organized efforts to protect forests and such, especially if there is something sacred about them.