FAQ's of illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Athian

FAQ's of illarion

Post by Athian »

Hey guys and Gals. I'm wondering for some future reference, what are the first three topics you are most interested about when you entered Illarion for the first time. Also what are the first three queries you had when entering illarion. You don't need to be specific or a Newbie to answer, anyone can feel free to go by perspectives like "If i were new to Illarion" or "If I were restarting Illarion after a long time away". If you wouldn't mind list your three topics and (or) Three questions (or more if you'd like) by your personal priority of what was most important to your game play and what was least. And lastly tell us how hard this information was to come by i.e. were you able to find it on the site or the Wiki; were you able to Find out ingame; could you find it by browsing the forum; Did you have to ask a staff member (GM/CM/DEV).

Hope this isn't too confusing. I'll look forward to your answers.
Achae Eanstray

Re: FAQ's of illarion

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I read the information on site but a couple of things weren't in the information and I found some to ask in game but will put those here.

1. Why can't my char walk anymore?
That is when someone told me of the depot and showed me where one was. :lol:

2. Where is ....insert arena, library, Eliza's, some NPC name and who sold what? Added to that "You mean there was a sign that I missed warning of the southern forest?

3. My first questions related to profession: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=20599
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

-How do I jump?
-How do I learn magic?
-What does "WATCH OUT SNIPERS!!!" mean?
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

1 When I first tried to play Illarion, I wanted to be a mage or an archer. I chose these from many years of pen an paper play an they suited me best from past experience. I was unaware of the special magic teaching rules or the ineffective ranged weapons engine. A solid heads up to these would of been nice before I invested hours of game play just to be let down.
2 The description of lizards is misleading. I next tried one of these hoping to be able to cross water but found they are limited, they can't swim either.
3 A clearer explaination of how the character stats affect would be nice in the creation process. I understand this is a RP game, but being able to set the stats towards how I wish my character to develop would help a lot. The find out in game explaination just leads to a lot of wasted time and frustration. Having to play for six months just to find out I was on the wrong path does not make me want to start over again, or continue to play.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Belegi wrote:-How do I jump?
-How do I learn magic?
-What does "WATCH OUT SNIPERS!!!" mean?
Ahh the good old days. Thank you for the smile

@Pugnacious

thank you, just the kind of thing i was looking for.

@Everyone else

With the new client due (elephant pregnancy right there) we'd like to know all your most pressing concerns from the previous client so we can make sure that some basic information into an easily findable easily understandable form. For now though we'd like to avoid going to heavily into new systems information and deal with the generalized information. If we acquire any new client info that we feel should be added to an FAQ we'll find a way to get in in there.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

How does crafting work?

How do I mine? (related to first)

How do I get better loot?

Why is there nothing to fight in Tol Vanima?
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Why isn't there a place for people to stay?
(My first log in, I walked around for over an hour asking where the nearest inn was.)

How do you tell NPCs from RPCs*?
(This was one of my biggest struggles when I joined... I got into the habit of walking up and saying "Hello" to everyone, just to see if they were a real char or not...)

How do you change languages?
(I typed [liz] before every message so many times before someone finally explained it to me...)

*role-player characters
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

One: Okay, I'm a orc, should I help the one being chased?

Two: Okay, that went 'well', but wtf? - think I got ghosted within the first half hour after trying to help Rugh - :lol:

Three: Okay, did those bastards just shove me through something? And where the feck am I? - after going back into the town, a mage forced Rp'ed me into a portal to Hellbriar - :roll: :lol:
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Why won't my game finish registering/ why can't I get onto the forums?
Apparently AOL automatically blocks e-mails from Illarion and throws them into the special spam trash place that is inaccessible to the user. I had to register a new e-mail with another provider that I pretty much only use for Illi. A list of common problems and how to fix them easily would have been nice. I know there is one around somewhere, but it didn't answer my question or link me to a place where I could get them answered.

Also, certain other problems really do need to be fixed. How long has Illi been incompatible with IE despite it being the most common browser in use? I know the VBU is important, but ignoring the current problems means that there may not be enough people to play the game once it comes out.

What do I need to know before making a character.
I found this out by asking on the forums, though the answer I got was a lot of pages to read. If I hadn't been already serious about wanting to play the game than that amount of reading would have probably been too much. All I really needed (and I suspect most people need) is an explanation of what "RP enforced" means,The importance of the forums as part of the gameplay, What the stats mean and some common proven builds, Some very basic info on races, a "what is happening now in the game" section, and a set of links to more information if I wanted to look it up. The shorter the better, so long as the needed info was included, and dividing the info up as the character is created can further help (such as an racial description when you are creating a character). After putting info into the correct place and using the phrase "you can learn more while creating a character", the whole thing ideally needs to be a couple paragraphs long. Like it or not, there is a certain amount of catering to the ADD culture that must be done before we can expect people to put time and effort into, what is to them, a completely unknown thing.

More info about what I said earlier is here, but don't read it unless you don't understand what I wrote before. Enforced roleplay could be explained as simply as that "the character is someone else within the game and should act like that person with whatever limitations they have including the lack of ooc information. In illarion it is against the rules to do things in game that are outside of the character's perspective. Peaple, including GMs, will warn you if you start using outside information, so try to have fun. Also remember that certain actions, such as attacking another character, must be done for in-character reasons; so always do some talking before you attack". I don't know, mabie someone else can make something better, but the point is that it needs to be short and extremely to the point. I'm surprised that, despite such a significant amount of the roleplay going on over the forums and despite the fact that a good share of the rest is set up using the forums, nobody talks about how important they are, that was definitely needed information. The stat information needs to be accurate and simple so that way I could pick a good set quickly or tweak one if I wanted to be more creative. More specific info on stats can be included behind a link, but generally the stuff already given when you are choosing stats is fine if it also included a list of "common stat" nearby to compare. The info on races needs to be concise and include the things that most people expect but be no longer than a couple sentences, this also can be included in character creation. Coming into the game and seeing all the bane NPCs moved into the library was really confusing. Knowing just a blurb about the Prince coming to take over would have really been really helpful.

How do I use items/ walk where I want to/ use the chat options/ etc?
Most of this can be found in the current help document, through Noobia, and most of these actions should be made more natural in the VBU. So since the problem now and in the future is already been dealt with, there really isn't anything more to say with this question.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Why does my character walk so slowly?

So, no doubt due to my slow connection, I do however have the fasters broad-band available in Australia, so it was/is (even though I’m used to it these days) quite frustrating that I literally couldn’t/can’t do a thing to change this or have any hope of outrunning another character. I think agility should have more of an impact on walking/running speed (Heck, even a function to toggle running and walking), and everyone should have a set speed which isn’t dependant on internet connection or other silly factors that should not play a part in a game like this.

What do my attributes do, and why are their uses not explained clearly?

I’m sure I’m not the first or the last to feel frustration at the lack of clarity here. So, judging from past rp experiences (D&D) I foolishly assumed dexterity would affect my dodge capabilities, alas it turned out to be agility. So I in essence ended up with a useless fighter as my first character. I eventually learnt through experimentation and grief what each roughly represented as far as fighting and magic goes, but even to this day most parts are still shrouded in mystery for me.

All I want is more clarity, I mean, if you’re going to enforce restrictions like attribute into and enforced rpg then please, please! At least tell me what they do so I can know what my character is capable of. I’m pretty sure the whole idea of Illarion is to be able to play whoever, however you like. So little things like this, which I’m sure people with more knowledge than myself *could* easily fix go unattended to for so long... it’s just silly, really. I pity the noobs who have to deal with this.

How can I learn these ‘runes’ you speak of?

Okay, so, magic. A source of frustration for many, be it the magic of those who rp poorly and ghost the innocent, or those who wish so desperately to learn it.

Finding out a teacher, that is, another player was necessary to learn magic and runes and what not, was actually a little intriguing and I like the idea... at first. But after a year or so running around improving my role play (which I’m pleased I took the time to do looking back on it) that initial shiny coating of interestingness faded, and magic inevitably seemed like it would never be within my grasp.

At the time, I considered myself a capable role player, even though I was probably still a noob. But I couldn’t understand why no teachers would take me? Now, time differences played a large role in this for me personally, being Australian, and when I finally did find a teacher, I’d be staying up late each night for my runes and theory and everything. Of course, I’m glad I did looking back on it.

I guess the only solution to this problem would be making magic freely available to all, which I’m actually quite hesitant about. But hey, I heard it’ll be happening, maybe I’m wrong though. Even if it is that case, all I can say is it should be balances with the other combatants. Maybe split the healing spells away from the mages and make a cleric/monk class all on its own with just those healing spells? You weaken the mages, and essentially get a whole extra class out of it. Who knows, you people are smart, you’ll think of something.

I think that is all. ^^ For now, anyway. Apologies for any unrelated blab, I was on a roll and went with it.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. They're all helpful (or at least amusing)