Older Players

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Achae Eanstray

Older Players

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Satisfy my curiosity?
For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

Why did you start playing, what were you looking for?

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?

What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory?

Positive aspects of the game:

Negative aspects of the game:

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?

Other: Anything to add?

I realize this topic has potential for abuse so ask you all to be civil and not mention ANY names or chars negatively being very general in your answers with that aspect.

__________________________________________________________________________________

translation per @Golwenor

An alle alten Spieler,
könntet ihr bitte meine Neugierde stillen?

Solltet ihr bereits, seit über drei Jahren, an dieses Spiel beteiligt sein, so würde ich mich über die Antworten folgender Fragen freuen.
Da solch ein Thema durchaus einen Nährboden für möglichen Streit bieten kann, bitte ich euch nett zu bleiben und keine Charnamen im übertriebenen negativen Sinne zu erwähnen und lediglich generelle Aussagen zu geben.

Warum habt ihr zuerst gespielt, nach was habt ihr in diesem Spiel gesucht?

Solltet ihr aufgehört haben zu spielen, was war der Grund und wie lange habt ihr vor dem Aufhören gespielt?

Wenn ihr noch einmal zurückgekommen seid, seid ihr dann geblieben oder habt ihr das Spiel erneut verlassen, wenn ja, warum?

Welches Ereigniss hat euch am besten gefallen, welches ist eure geliebteste Erinnerung?

Positive Aspekte von Illa:

Negative Aspekte von Illa:

Welche Entwicklung des Spieles würdet ihr bevorzugen und würde euch solch eine Entwicklung zum spielen verleiten?

Falls ihr noch weitere Kommentare habt, dann nur zu.

Ich hoffe das hilft unseren deutschen Spielern weiter.
Po Will

Re: Older Players

Post by Po Will »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Why did you start playing, what were you looking for?
A new game to play, one were I was able to practice my English - although I didn't improve very much till a year or so - thus why I stuck around.

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?
First, I ended up with sever mood swings whilst RP'ing Orgis, thus why he got the boot because at the time I figured I wouldn't be back. Midway through with Seredoc, I ended up with sever mood swings again, and found I couldn't keep RP'ing him. As I tend to focus on one char, this meant a few weeks/months away from the game. Came back, then the same thing happened once more, thus he died off. So if I were to class my reason as anything, I'd simply say OOC reasons, or life duties.

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?
Honestly? The ability to make a character, and try and add to a story that many other players will be playing was/is one of the reasons I still play. Personally, I see a real problem with elitism within the community. We have the PG'ers on one side, and those who try and spice things up with RP. I have no problem with people working on skills, and creating a more powerful character, but the moment that takes important over RP'ing, that's another point when I decide to take breaks.

If anything, it's a problem with the system. There's those who can't spend hours upon hours PG'ing, so they fall behind even if their RP is good. Sad, but hopefully this is something that's being tackled during the VBU

Heh, I would say the Orcs, the sense of community there is/was great. Their willingness to include others in their RP, and looking for ways to suit both themselves, and the characters they were against was impressive. That, and the early period with Seredoc at the Union. Again, my English was hopefully bad around both those periods, but the people were mostly kind and rather grand to mess about with.

The ability to create a story.
The ability to create random, crazy Characters.
The RP. A cheap answer, but for the few that try, they make this game ruddy grand to play. Even if my characters hate your guys :D

PG'ing.
People taking the system over the ability to Rp. I understand people will base their RP around the leveling system, but I think it just fails so badly.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?
I'd like the game to maintain that ability for peoples creativity to keep shining through.
I'd very much like to see the leveling problem seen to, if people spent less time PG'ing, they might actually try RP'ing.

Just realised its about three years since I started playing, god I feel old now, thanks.. :lol:

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

I had been playing runescape (eep!) and wanted more free rpgs. I played a ton of "mom and pop" mmo's and I stayed with illarion after seeing epic RP in GM run quests and could never (still cant) get over how cool I thought it was that certain players were able to be seen in such high status due to feats accomplished IG.

I stopped playing when I went to college. I had played quite consistently for about 4 years, with a small break before the character wipe. Once the char wipe came I was back playing 20-30 hrs a week for about a year and a half until I left for college.

I came back because I freaking missed this game. I just loved how this game had a society that other games would never had. People relied on me, and I relied on other people. Coming back to Illarion is a completely different nostalgic experience than coming back to another game. You can come back after you are long forgotten and see a group of people discussing an event that none were present for and be able to jump in and give them a first hand account, and it will just be inexplicably interesting to those that wished they were there.

But anyway... what was the question again? I came back usually during the winter while all my friends were home and I was working my ass off taking winter classes, and then I would linger for a few months and disappear again.

I guess I have two moments... I think anyone that was playing around the 2004-2005 time period will have to answer this with the Lich Wars. It was an experience like no other, and unfortunately a quest that the GMs would never consider redoing due to the kinds of complaints you see now. The events leading up to it were great (drahken) but the first event where the Lichs invaded has to be one of the greatest gaming experiences I ever had on PC or game consoles. We must have had ~50 people in bane facing off in this NO WIN situation. Groups got seperated, enemies were forced to team up, strangers were forced to work together, non warriors were holed up and scared... It was just a mind blowing experience... and it went on for a LONG time and we received an absolute and utter defeat. The entirety of this quest was just amazing and brought out the best in the players and the characters alike. I cant even begin to explain how great the RP was at the countless campfire moments. It really did bring out the best in people.... there were virtually no pvp complaints, ooc complaints, or any sort of bad blood between players for the entire 2-3 months of this quest.

But I cant get over the Nightmare quest, since its the moment I realized I may never be able to completely forget about this game. It was quite a long and big quest and unfortunately not too many players were able to be involved with the main plotline, and it made almost the entire Island watch 3-4 people deal with Nightmare's Torment. But the moment I was in that arena, and 30-40 people were sitting there watching Salathe face off against Nightmare in the climax of the quest.... It was just a great moment and cant explain how fortunate I feel that I was able to play the defining character in that quest. And the best part is that I was never picked and this was never staged, it played out by chance and I had a minor role in this quest up until the day of Nightmare's arena. It's great to see a quest work out perfectly with there never being communication between players and GMs.

Enforced roleplay
Dynamic quests
Opportunity to actually be apart of the story
Complex Skill systems (ie; Crafting, Magic, Druidry... etc)

Neglected combat (non-magic) system
Lack of content for fighter characters. The main content for any sort of fighting character came from the large scale dynamic quests. There used to be countless quests that involved invasions and allowed players to gain skill and experience without fighting the same monster for 100 hours. Once those disappeared players then had to turn to pvp for content and that simply doesnt work.

To see something like this implemented. http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 52#p517952
If the amount of effort that the magic system recieved was identical to the combat system, then mages would simply ctrl click a player and stand still while they shoot a generic spell at them. I've wanted attention given to the melee/ranged system for ages but it has never received it.

I love Illarion. That is all.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I was bored with computer games and before you ask, yes I DID play Sims :P ...and wanted player interaction but not "shoot 'em up" variety. I searched for a month or so and got intrigued by what I read of Illarion. It took me a couple more weeks of lurking the forum before I made a character. The skills threw me for a loop ( I mean simply walking!)and I think helped with my roleplay more than anything having to make up reasons why Achae kept running into trees and on top of tables.

I never quit for long, I think the max was the 2-3 months the game was down.

Player interaction.

The "hole in the floor" quest where a few chars fell into hellbriar and Achae was turned into a rabbit. The Knights of Kallahorn and their antics, my mage char and her life, making a char to test the fighting system and getting so caught up in the RP she is still around :lol: Other stories too numerous to list.

Positive aspects of the game: The freedom to make a difference in the world with your char as the story line in a good book along with other char's and their stories.

Negative aspects of the game: The only thing I see is having to severely PG or wait forever in order to get a skill that is usable.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more? Continue the freedom to allow players imagination with added incentive of GM AND player quests adding to the excitement.

Other: Anything to add? Maybe I will think of something later.
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

I was bored as hell with Tibia and Runescape ( I was young, stay off my back), and I didn't know what I was looking for just yet. I sort of knew a bit about DnD back then (had just started) and so looked for something like that.

I quit due to the huge focus on PGing and simply having gotten bored with all the copy and past characters with horrible stories of having lost their parents, et cetera et cetera. That, and I've been appalled at how horrible grammar and RP skills have become. When it makes me cringe to attempt to read what people are attempting to say, I have to step back. Yes, I am a mild grammar Nazi and a RP elitist. Sorry, I just like to have fun when I RP or read a story, not reread the first dozen pages repeatedly (In my defense, I do try to teach and lead by example amongst new players).

Mmm, I missed Illarion. I had a craving for it which I could not shrug off.

Probably the many times I RPed with Joxia,Wolf, and Phoenix as Mattin. Damn, those were great times. Though, I have to admit, RPing with Achae a few others kept me going as well.

The interaction and cooperation to build a story.
How great people can be at story telling.

Mm... I think the most is the lack of effort to be a good RPer with many people. It's like they don't care about more than ctrl+clicking things or amassing wealth.
Oh, and the economy is still horrible. Too much coin is available, to say the least.

I'm not really sure, honestly. I'll wait for the VBU and form my opinion then.

Though absent, I still love Illarion.
Ereaes

Post by Ereaes »

-I started playing because a good friend at the time told me of it. I thought it was a grand idea, especially since i was bored with Runescape and the like. Also, i thought the player interaction would be interesting.

-I quit a few times, most do to a full schedule, even though i popped in from time to time. A few other times because the RP was lacking, in the sense of these new players coming in and not bothering to speak to a soul. They went out and PG like crazy. They never rped actions, or very rarely, and barely spoke. They PGed so much, those of us that actually RPed had no chance of catching up anytime soon. I could name so many names, but i shall refrain, most wouldn't even remember the names ;). I believe i played....a full two years before quitting the first time.

-I came back every time simply because illa is unique. There is nothing like it. There are cheap imitations, but nothing coming close to the interaction, the fun, and the depth you can get from it. (provided you have good RPers.)

-God that really is hard to pinpoint even a few. The Northrot wars, fighting alongside Grant Herion(sp?) in the resistance. The original Temple wars, the Lich wars, the horde! Learning from Kaja Wolfgang! Forming the Wolves of cherga. It has been a long long long time playing.....but i believe those may be my best memories. But there are SOOOO many to chose from.

-In depth rp. My knees bend now(old joke). Great variety of monsters, terrain, and cultures. A unique form of rp styles.

-Bad apples(the bad rpers). Semi-decent graphics(as far as the people are concerned. I miss the old graphics. When all Human males held a sword and shield ALL the time. To me it looked better, maybe thats just me.) The near complete lack of adherence to rules and the inability to keep BANNED PO's BANNED.(though i do understand, just stating a downside). I think i shall leave it at that for now.

-I would like to see more active GM participation(which there will be after the VBU, yay). A more....hands on approach to rule breakers. Also, more of an interest for veteran players to help out new players, as far as RP and the like. And yes, all the above would encourage me to play more, as i have been logging on less of late.

Well....thats really all i have to say about that. *bows*
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

I got hooked on enforced RP playing on a UO server. "Forgotten Frontiers" Sadly they got hacked and they shut down for several weeks and upon restarting the player base never returned and they finally shut down all together. I spent 3 years looking for another REAL RP enforced game with a decent playerbase with no luck until I stumbled on Illarion in some game list. Though my character was killed and robbed almost immediately with bad RP, the ones I met after who helped to replace items and began a good RP interaction was encouragement enough to make me go back. Even the steady flow of mummys that were attacking over the next week or so which kept getting my char trapped on a bridge or huddling at the cross couldnt deter me once Id gotten a sense of the community.

I quit maybe for about six months after the dramatic player base drop due to so many either working on or waiting for the VBU. I have been playing Illa for near 5 years now I think and returned from my 'break' a few months ago. It was just too depressing to log in to noone being IG. And I think I just needed the break as Id been playing daily, hours on end for 4 years without one.

I LOVE Illarion. I could not stay away any longer. It was not so easy at first to KEEP logging in sometimes but so far I have not left again.

My favorite times I think were the last big quest Aeghol did with the search for the artifacts and Revans Highwayman. But there really are too many good memories to put down here.

Definately the RP. I didnt think Id like Illarion when I very first logged in and saw the graphics, but they didnt matter at all once the RP started.

Have to agree with Ereas on this one, the rule breakers. And I must add the OOC abuse and conflicts.

Theres nothing I can add that isnt all ready being done....I think ...(a good automatic jailing and release sytem?). And nothing I can add that hasnt been said multiple times before. Except that I would like to see the player base return to what it used to be. This would make me play more.

Nothing I can think of at the moment.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

I was barely getting into the idea of what roleplaying is, and it showed when I first played (thank allah for mark strongarm.). I really liked the idea of creating your own story, or be apart of someone else's story, though, since this was the time when I was really into reading (still am, but less books and more newspapers, pretty much same amount of reading though :p), and plus I saw that the game was more or less run by the players (towns, economy/shops, etc.), which I thought was really great and weird, because I've never played in a game like that before. 4-5ish years of playing, still haven't found a game slightly close to Illarion asides from the RP being enforced.

At times I left for a few months (I think the most almost a year), usually because I got bored of the routine happenings occuring. I left for a brief period actually after making my first two characters because I didn't understand to roleplay properly (it was okay, but it was bad), and the PG'ing to do for fighting classes was really hard for me because I was new to the game and all I did was fight flies and the pigs in Bane for training. xD

I returned and I made my first non-human character, a lizard. That was when I began to actually roleplay decently, if you can call it that (didn't break through ooc/ic anymore), and I was really able to get into character. But once more, the fact that I was a fighter really killed the experience for me once I reached that first hill of training. I'm pretty sure I left for a relatively long period after this actually, 6 months or so before I came back.

Then I made Olaf ( :cry: ) and Ranek a month or so after, and thats when I was having a blast. Cutting to the chase, I actually played with Ranek for a while longer than Olaf since I did not have to focus on fighting (finally got the hang of fighting with Olaf, did alright with him).

Then sometime after that I made Samuel, and I honestly think I had the best of times with him out of all my past characters.

Then after an exodus I came back to make Fernando, and as I said before I usually leave because it gets bland.

The community and that chance to get in character and stuff. I basically sort of explained it up there^.
You can never really leave the community. It's sort of like runescape for me (>_>). The community (that I hang out with) is great, and if the roleplay is too bland with one of my old characters and I can't spice something up for a while, I'll start from scratch.

Hm... (with Samuel), probably when the prince took over Troll's Bane and everyone went to Greenbriar :mrgreen: . But no, seriously. I LOVED it that Greenbriar was filled. I LOVE it when roleplay takes place out of Troll's Bane. Not to bag on Bane, I like roleplaying there, but roleplay outside of its walls is much more fun to me.

I also LOVED the atmosphere of that time. Everyone was sad of the loss of Bane, some angry at the prince and plotting revolts, some lost, so on. It was (relatively speaking) a "real" roleplaying atmosphere to me. It was tense, anything could happen now. I also liked it when it was like this during the siege of Troll's Bane. Roleplaying in Greenbriar is usually always fun for me.

Ability to create your own story or help forge other people's stories.
IG world is basically run by the players.
(When there used to be)Big events that had everyone participate.
Complex, but not too complex crafting system with enough branches to have you creating character after character.
Community.

As someone said above, I think one of the things that nags me in the game is the economy- mostly the fact that everyone has coins. Ask anyone and they have at least several silvers on them. I think it'd be more rp appropiate if it was harder to make coin (like just fishing and getting a shitload of silver or even gold in a week of just fishing).

Some people don't "keep" the rp. I guess I'll go along with the thread and won't start whining and name names, but there is stuff that is just "wtf, really?" that you wouldn't even do in todays times in front of people. I know everyone on the island is special and comes from the direst of back rounds, but come on people. Don't do unreasonable things.

I guess once the VBU comes, for more quests/events that used to happen- like the salks taking over Bane.
Basically, more quests/events that drag people in it, but allows some to not need to be in it and have them safely go to a city (like during Mas, Greenbriar or Vanima). I LOVED those types of events and I certainly did play a lot before, during, and after those events.

Nope
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Freshman year of college and it was Christmas break. I had a bad flu and I was bored.

I played for two months and then my attention was caught somewhere else but I kept posting on the board, especially in matters of game development and brainstorming. A few months later I was invited to join the SVST (player helper group) and I started playing again to help out. That went on for a couple months and then I was invited into the GM's where my GMing got in the way of my playing. When I quit the GM's I found that it was difficult to play as a normal player again. Since that time I've played now and again, but never more than a few days at a time and even returned to GMing at one point. I guess the reason I quit so many times is I'm ADD?

Answered above.

Playing Pookoo and being a slave of the orcs or trying to con guys into buying flowers for whatever lass came by. Playing Moskher and hatching plots with Aristeaus during the founding of Varshikar or meetings with John Irenicus or sitting in the field with Caitlyn Fergus. Playing Zhaffie and drinking in the tavern with Bailey and making Berengar flustered.

The players, at least most of them, are fantastic people. The game has unlimited potential. The story and setting can also be interesting but I think is under-utilized. Contrary to popular belief, Illarion's development team is the *only* development team of any game that I have ever played that cares about what the players think, sometimes to a fault.

The skill system seems to be built around penalizing those who skill fast but instead penalized casual players. The economy is similarly troubled. There are few new experiences to be had and nothing to do when you can't find other players. Illarion has more players on on any given day than any rp-enforced UO shard currently in existence and yet it's always ten times harder to find anyone to play with. Magic-teaching system only serves the ego of a few players while killing the fun of everyone else. Movement speed is too slow.

I believe the staff has already learned this lesson, but there are still things in the game that suffer this design flaw. It's okay to design things that are of rp interest or serve to give a feel for historical realism, but only after something is designed to completion and is easy to use should those considerations be brought up. Even then, anything changed should not take away from the completeness or ease-of-use of those things.

The same goes for things designed to slow down the progress of powergamers. We all want game balance, but only once a system is complete and easy to use, and only if it doesn't restrict casual players as well.

Thank you for asking. =)
Matron

Post by Matron »

PO Silas dragged me here after some RP on a forum of some other game, RP was new to me but he thought I might enjoy it here.

RL's got more important and the people I enjoyed playing with quit. Quit several times but played long periods in between (registered in June 2006 in the forums, a month before or something IG). Played less when being GM.

Boredom kept dragging me back and perhaps the hope to meet some of those I used to play with. New players and immature chars kept driving me away. Can't get used to the childish and kinda lame RP.

Druid lessons, PG/Maps with Matt, running around with the Caelum clique, helping out every settlement once with giant donations who nobody ever properly thanked for (tss), planting trees all over Bane until people blocked me on MSN since they couldn't see the town anymore, medico RP at the Bane Hospital when people made chars just to play with me :), watching people RP when I was GM and notice the change in their behaviour when I showed up. :P

Simple graphics, simple gameplay. You can get to know people from abroad quite easily and improve on your english skills.

The VBU, gets people all annoyed and impatient, also I don't expect Illarion to be Illarion anymore once it is done. The fact that people younger than 16 cannot/won't be kept out.

No comment, can't expect anyone to fullfill my expectations.

May have accidently deleted my MSN-list, so feel to re-add me if still interested in conversations: spetzmatz@aol.com (I didn't think of that crappy e-mail, I swear).
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

When I started playing Illa I had no experience in RP at all. My brother made me give this game a try a few days before my birthday. I became addicted immediately.

I paused playing the game after playing Illa for about 1 1/2 year. I came back after about 1 year break and played for another 1 1/2 year.
The reason for quitting was the same in both cases:
First and foremost: Real life duties.
Second: Didn't wanted to keep on powergaming for hours and hours AND guild leading.
Third: I started to get the feeling that both my chars were somewhat like "finished".

First and foremost: Addiction :-)
Second: I wanted to be part of a cool orc clan 8)
Third: I wanted to roleplay on "the other side", with new players i didn't play before.

I am with Wil: I loved all orc roleplay. We had awesome meetings, fights and quests. Thanks to all orcs, you are a true clan! I honestly miss pur roleplay.

Freedom in action - play what you want. The world is yours - you can change it.
Deep and long roleplay.

Wayyyy too much powergaming needed.
Good roleplay needs much time over a long time. I guess this is positive and negative at the same time. Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to spend so much time :cry:

It should be possible to lead a clan without the need to powergame hours and hours of your life for gaining skills/money/equippment.

Thanks to everyone I had the chance to play with. Illarion is my first roleplay love and will ever be.
Thanks devs. Thanks orcs :D
Belegi

Post by Belegi »

Oh, nice survey! My turn :-)!

Well, I was looking for a free multi player online game with enforced roleplaying. I tried other so called MMORPGs of that time (Tibia...) but was scared off by the low level of roleplaying there. Also, the game had to run on my computer and I always preferred the 3rd person view. In fact, I found out about Illarion quite a while before I joined but I didn't consider it worth a shot because of the crappy homepage back then.

I still have my account and my characters and lurk the forums, so did I really quit...? Yes, I do not play actively because of various reasons (see below). I played for around five years very actively and one more rather sporadic(ly?). There were always downtimes in between, but all in all, I tried never to lose contact to the game.

I usually "came back" to check out the new players, their roleplay and, if there were any, the new features. A new downtime, including my current absence from the game, usually had the reason that I was not satisfied with the level of player driven ingame events (=bad roleplaying of drama kids) and found dozens of technical bugs and unbalances that spoiled my fun and persist(ed) for years. And also - I don't have that much time to play computer games any more. Since the game became much less "casual" with the awkward skill cap, playing it became rather unrewarding.

There are countless good memories and I don't dare to call any "the best". This game is, potentially, marvellous and still the game I want to play - given that certain things change that seriously keep me from logging in. To name a few good memories, without order: Gold grinding with Caranthir and the bunch, powergaming with Muten Roshi, drinking beer until death with the guys, the quest that ended the drought, hosting SBS quests without any GM support, beholding PO Sevious Helios' astonishing roleplaying with all his characters, beating up demons for fun...

This game has a unique outline and concept. There is no 2nd game like Illarion, in bad and in good ways. This game has, still, a massive potential to attract casual roleplayers that do not look for "combo buff DoT attacks that do a lot of dps!" or 3D graphics but interesting roleplaying with graphics and toys like magic and crafting. However, this "potential" has to be realised and speaking of great potential for years becomes weird.

Skill system, magic system, lack of vital features like priest magic, archaic NPC interface (i buy sword...), countless small bugs that are not taken care of for years, Verhinderitis, players that mix up their own success and the success of their characters, lack of active gamemasters, the massive delay in release of the VBU,... I could name more, but I don't want to focus too much on negative things.

First of all, I won't play before you release this VBU. The current flaws of the game, especially skill system and bugs, keep me from playing. The general game direction should be that of a casual game where I can play like I want as long as I roleplay properly. I want attractive events without the need to stand around idle for hours to regenerate some weird metal capacity points. I want to see less rules but those rules that remain have to be enforced strictly. And I want to see GMs that shape this game instead of just administrating it.

From a player's perspective: Release that §$@%& VBU, fix magic, hire some cool GMs and ban all "no lifers" that just want to "own" and "dominate". It does not take much to make this game great!
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Huh... that's a noodle scratcher... my memory must be getting hazy...

About 10 years ago I was just looking for any old Hack&Slash and I didn't think Illarion was any different. I was mainly sold on an old description saying how "There are no class restrictions so you can be anything you want to be" and "You will have the chance to buy and design your own building". Also, "Illarion... a better world".

The first time I quit was due to a technical overhaul to the magic system which lacked consideration/options for its negative effects on existing characters of key active players in the community, including myself. At the time, I strongly believed that the player community was the basis for a strong foundation of continued activity in Illarion. The second and final time I left was mainly due to RL things consuming my time.

I returned the first time because I felt there was still a lot of unfinished business and a lot of potential with the things that I had already done and things that I could create and add to the game world with the influence I had. Once those things were set into motion and rolling on its own, I felt it was time to move on and focus on RL things.

I'd thought about returning every now and again, but mainly I just don't want to spend too much time on this game anymore. Also, the current perception of this game seems to be confusing to start off, having a steep and boring skill learning curve and too much empty space for too few players.

Does cybering count? :wink: If not, it's hard to remember a specific best memory. But the first thing in the early days that solidified the storyline of the game was the very first arrival of the lich, Drakhen Vorkalion. It was the first event to ever really bring together all the people of the town from every facet to fight against a common enemy and build new friendships and alliances. It gave the town its first real villain and a new purpose for life on the island.

Sometimes I just read the rpg/guild boards a little, and I notice a few really interesting characters that I really like and wish I could go in and interact with them and nurture/reward their talent.

I believe the "no talking/no trading" philosophy change to the RPG boards was a huge mistake. The RPG board acts as a viewing window to the IG world of Illarion, and all the banter, both friendly and unfriendly, makes the world look active and paints a picture of what's happening for outsiders looking in. Now the RPG board just looks like a barren ghost town, and that's the impression it creates for the IG world.

It's hard to say. I doubt I will ever fully play just because I don't want to get drawn in and spend so much time. However, it's always nice to see something from the past being mentioned or used. It's nice to build upon the past and watch the IG world grow and evolve from the actions and history of past events and characters.

The "feel" of Illarion is a little dry and lacks an epic feel or stylish theme to it overall, like cool weapon/armor/location names for example. I know part of Illarion's uniqueness is its focus on roleplay rather than the impression of "cool" things that other games give, but sometimes it helps to dress up Illarion a little and make it look more exciting.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

I was young and bored with runescape. Thats about it really. Illarion was like 83 on a top 100 list in 2001, and I thought hey why not.

The first time I quit, was in 2002 or 2003, and it was because another game took my interest. I came back shortly after.

The second time, I was banned for a stupid reason, because of the actions of a couple stupid people.

The third time, Everyone worth a damn had already quit except Dyluck and a couple others

The fourth time, I couldn't deal with the new systems in place, the player quest team had kind of broken up, and reformed into a disjointed mess, and the clique attitude of the game made it difficult to play with

The fifth, and final time before this, the forums were overmoderated by people who no right to be moderators, some GM's were oppressive, the remaining old staff was close to giving up and it was pointless to be in a community where nobody cared about the actual game anymore.

Had to think before I answered, so, here it is...

1. Made alot of friends here.

2. Made alot of friends here.

3. Wanted to make a difference

4. Wanted to make a difference

5. Wanted to roleplay

6. Was bored.

Hanging out with Damien, Cosma, Gala and Sirius at the fluffy sheep, Dyluck showed up and at the time I viewed him as a sort of on and off rival, so we got into a duel, I lost, and we went back and talked some more. Oh and any time Badmosche had a campfire.

Learning german in game was fun too.

So many other memories. Starting wars. Starting guild council. Stealing all the rangers money, and using half to donate to the sirani temple and the other half for potions to make me stronger....rooftop sniper....;)

Roleplaying. Thats about all I can think of.

Present lack of character customization, antiquated skill trees, dice roll combat system not fully utilized, wonky colour based stats (if this is a true role playing experience, remove player access to stats trees altogether and build in powergaming penalties!) Clique groups, Language based groups with animosity towards others, too big map with not enough players, bad magic system, bad druid system, the direction the VBU is taking does not seem pertinent to the overall direction the game should be taking to stay true to its original vision (more npcs, npc quests, typical MMO direction as opposed to player based direction)

More player based quests, more staff involvement, less NPC quests coming in VBU, less focus on political systems, more player customization, less boundries between cliques, less ingame animosity (I don't CARE if its in your characters bio that he hates race/old language speakers, its negative, negative is NOT fun for other people) smaller map, better combat system, better magic and druid systems, no player access to skilltrees, proper lore rebuild.

Other:
I hardly play anymore. I came back with a goal, but it began to bore me. Theres little sense in logging in just to play with a few people in passing who have similar timing to my own. Too little involvement and engagement.

Don't need to please everyone, but promoting a closer tighter and more positive community for fun roleplaying would probably increase playerbase then NPC quests, language barriers, and cliques.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

I found Illarion on a site of mmorpgs about 5 years ago having grown tired of an mmorpg I had been playing and was looking for a new one, the idea of enforced roleplay made me ignore the crappy graphics and such the screenshots showed me

I first played for a day, being crappy at english at the time making it difficult for me to understand some things made me get stuck at things all the time and I ended up leaving after that, to later return. Barely made it out of Noobia.

The second time I quit I had been playing for about.. 2ish years, the reason I quit was reasons many of my friends that play illarion tell me their also annoyed with
OOC abuse (MSN and such used for IG gains in a way that benefits their characters)
And
Overdramatic RP (clicky)
And other than that, of course there is more needed for someone to quit a game like Illarion:
Depression
Real life

I came back the first time because then I had more knowledge within the English language, and still loved the idea of an mmorpg focusing on roleplay (+ the current clients graphics are kinda charming in some odd way). What inspired me to return was that I once again found the game on an mmorpg website.

I have been off and on again on the game about fiveish times for just short breaks like 1 week -1 month, but then I've started missing the roleplay and the things I love about illarion. (currently though I'm just stalking the forums mostly as illarion has actually had a rather bad effect on my life, possibly due to my rather young age.

Orc clan, it's great roleplay that I have to thank Rugh, Jag, Murgo and.. uhh.. there are probably more.
The time the farmers union was the place to be!

Focuse on roleplay
Staff don't get paid, they do it by free will and therefore there is passion to their work and they are players too that know how the game works.

OOC abuse
Need to PG to fit in IG

More players, I'm glad the staff is doing so much for that to happen (this probably being one of the things)
Last edited by Qeewee on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

I found a link on a forum board for the first game in Facebook. It was called Knighthood. I had maxed that game and was looking for something interesting. I never imagined what I would find the day I clicked that link.. love it!

I didn't quit really i just paused play for a while for various reasons. I had a huge learning curve.

Addiction, I never left again for long though I have paused play for RL reasons.

I loved being part of the Temple. I found the best players there. Also I had the privilege of being part of the orc clan. Roleplay and the player community is the reason to play Illarion. If you play for other reasons .. yeah you can find it somewhere else.

Freedom, ability to shape the life as you see it. The fact that the gm and devs really do care about the players.

Not enough players at the moment and the builder being absent too.

I would like to see more opportunity for housing for people.. also I would like to see more life for the non-powergamer. I don't mind the power-gamer too. I would like to see a way for them to still fit in with the rest of us. Frankly I think I just like the game as it is.

Thank you to everyone who makes Illarion what it is.. but especially to the Devs and the Gms
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I must have been.. 12 or so when I first found out about Illarion. It still had the application system where we'd have to send in a story. I had never roleplayed before and I distinctly remember I lived in Lebanon back then, internet was rare and computer performance even rarer, but I had always been in love with videogames, so I must have been looking for some RPG to play, definitely not roleplay in particular. Although I must have been a bright kid since I quickly caught on and as far as I remember I always understood I was meant to play out a character and make up stories. Oh man, I remember how excited I was when my application was accepted.

I come and go, I haven't played in a long while but recently I decided to give it another go, out of boredom.

I generally play Illa out of boredom nowadays. Honestly, it's lost its interest because of the dramatic decline of quality in roleplay. I may have my nostalgia goggles on, but I remember a few years back, everyone really had a story. Everyone typed properly. Everyone adopted roles accordingly and respected their race's general attributes.. New players were easily spotted either by a distinct lack of proper spelling or a distinct lack of any background story. Those were quickly picked up either by GMs or players and taught how to make an immersible and interesting character. Nowadays, the situation is a little disheartening. For example, I made a new character today, just for fun. He's not the type that likes people so he generally avoids them. He went to the tavern, where three lizards were and took a seat on the opposite side of the room. The three lizards find him suspicious because he's wearing a cloak, hood and hides his face - fair enough. So they decide to approach him.. and synchronously give him a hug literally by surrounding him and typing #me hugs - at the same time? He stands up and flees, they follow him around and don't understand why he turns hostiles and pulls out his daggers? I don't know, it was a little strange and pulled me out of immersion. None of them really seemed nor acted like lizards at all, just humans with a lizard model. I miss when people took the care to make lizards stretch their sssssss, orks spek wib funni akssunt, halflings chirpy and merry, elves wise and thoughtful, etc.

Later on, he's walking from the cemetery back to town, I pass by an elf, pause and pop my description of him being a short, cloaked person and the elf just passes by and goes; "cute little human" and walks off.

I don't know, maybe I'm nitpicking but nowadays Illarion feels like an RPG.

Truth is though, no matter what, I will always be playing Illarion on and off. Hopefully the day will come where everything is in order the way it should be and everyone will start playing actively again because Illa will just be a really fun place to be.

Meriel Pelith when I played her son Eleas.

Roleplay-enforced..

Very slow updates. I don't blame anyone, I understand why this happens.

The community being stricter about not accepting poorly made characters, people who put no effort in their writing or stories, etc. GMs need to be educators and not afraid of pulling a player aside and tell them that the way they're playing just isn't right and breaks the mood. Really, there was a time where we were all careful of what we said, we thought through what our character would do and if it would match the time Illarion is set in, the current mood, if it was reasonable for a character to do in this situation or not, etc.. because if we didn't take care not to break the mood or roleplay properly, a GM would pull us aside and ask us to shape up. It really made Illarion an atmospheric place. Now people really seem half-assed about the "story" part of Illarion, which is sad.

A quest team made of a few, constantly active players that regularly work out good quest ideas and enact them. Maybe at the rate of one major quest every month or so, weekly mini-quests and maybe daily quests that only affect a few players for an hour or so.

The whole development system, in my humble opinion needs to be reworked. I'm going to get hate for this, but hopefully it's for the best! I tried helping with graphics, but honestly the lack of organization is really discouraging. It's on a "do what you want to help the game and if we really like it then maybe it'll end up in the game" or so it feels. I think there should be separate teams for each aspect of the game with "heads" of team that coordinate what each person must do. I.e; Coding Team > Quests/NPCs/General Functionality/Client/Server -- Graphics Team > Non-Organic/Organic/Animations/Effects -- etc. If a person wouldn't be able to do what needs to be done this week, then they would be set as inactive and a replacement would be found.. Honestly, I hated not to know what to do and hated the idea that I would spend some hours doing something and it would never end up in the game because it wasn't what was needed/wanted and no one really told me what was needed/wanted and I had to guess for myself.

Once the development team would be established properly, it would be really, really good to have weekly or so updates coming from the players' suggestions. Sure this is hard, but I don't think it's impossible to achieve.

Anyways, that's all for now I think. I'll probably edit this when more things pop in my mind.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I'm not exactly active these days, but I thought I should reply anyway. Before I answer the questions though, I thought I'd comment on
Those were quickly picked up either by GMs or players and taught how to make an immersible and interesting character.
Maybe my experience was different because of the groups I tended to stay with or because I joined at a different time, but I don't seem to remember older players being that willing to teach newcomers when I was active. Every once in a while RP at the tavern or the shop would be interrupted by a confused new player, and quite often people were very reluctant to stop their own RP to go help out the new player learn the basics. Sometimes some established characters would even cloud new players because they had been attacked.

Now on to the survey:
Achae Eanstray wrote:
Why did you start playing, what were you looking for? I was looking for a new online multiplayer rpg, and ran into Illarion. The idea of a game focusing entirely on RP (which I had not experienced before Illarion) seemed really great to me, and I grew quite excited. I was worried that my application would be rejected, and in the time it took to approve it, I remember reading the moonsilver website, and various other information around.

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting? I've been joining and quitting several times. When I stop playing it is usually because the players I was used to roleplaying with no longer play, and I find it very difficult to make new friends. The lack of proper capitalization and punctuation in the game these days kind of turns me away too. I don't really know much of what's going on these days.

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why? Sometimes I get the odd urge to play a little, but like I mentioned before, it doesn't really last long as it seems I am even more socially inept than before.

What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory? Oh man, so many good RP memories...I remember when Cyndil was still around, RP with her, Alli, and Baurus seemed pretty great. Later on some druid stuff like helping the trolls in the forest is still a really positive memory for me. Back when I was still newish, I remember having good times with Aristeaus, Maggie, Orren, and others. In more recent years, roleplay on Vanima with Isilwen and other elves was great.

Positive aspects of the game: The RP as it was before.

Negative aspects of the game: I find it quite impossible to dedicate enough time/energy to leveling up any skill to a decent amount. None of my characters ever had good skills because of this. The druid system is not very user friendly, it takes too much moving items around and shift clicking, making it quite difficult to skill up alchemy.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more? Higher standards of RP would be nice. A non-frustrating skill system would be nice too. I don't know that I could really come back fully without overcoming my own social inabilities though.

Other: Anything to add? You asked for no names being mentioned negatively, I hope it's okay if I leave in my positive comments though? I'll remove them if asked.

abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I'm not sure I remember well. I think I was just looking around at free roleplaying games available, when I didn't even have an idea of what is "roleplay" as seen in this game. But I was a big fan of medieval fantasy. I was quite surprised to stumble on illarion, and even then, I still barely had any idea of what it involved.

The first time I quit was due to stress and pressure the game was giving me; the fun was taken away with the circumstances ingame. I think it was after more than a year of constant play.

I tried several times, some lasted a few minutes, some a few days. But it was hard to get re-attached to it as I was before, as that requires a lot of dedication and time, which at this point in life I didn't have. I had many more commitments. Remembering some of the great moments I had makes me go back, but then I'm reminded of how much time it takes for such moments.

Hard to pin-point one. In general, the best times were those times where there was a clear, unbiased, friendly and transparent cooperation between all the characters involved, even if against each other in-game. Also those moments that evoked emotions (including happiness, tension, excitement, sadness, pride, fear, etc...) to a notable extent.

• Player-driven to a good extent - such as guilds, events, towns, buildings, politics.
  • A setting that somehow, has potential for players to create or experience memorable moments that stay with you for a long time.
  • The necessity for social interaction
  • Character development - both yours and others. This leads to attachment to characters.
  • Lack of control on "evil" characters (the thought of "why attack if they'll just attack back after?")
  • Level gains becomes quickly monotonous (at least after the first character, because slow level gain is almost essential for the first time, as you slowly gain experience with the game)
  • Crafts sort of boring (this is a problem in general RP games I guess, it's a challenge to make crafts interesting. Particularly, the repetitive work was too repetitive and gaining tons of resources wasn't the most exciting)
  • An open and friendly environment between the players themselves, and between the players and the staff.
  • A purely cooperative game, not a competitive one.
Time remains a problem, so whether I would play or not is still a question.

I miss illarion. During my peak play in illarion, I became very careless in my general life, sleeping late hours or none at all, missing school, etc... but I do not regret it the least bit. It gave for some really unique experiences, and has surprisingly taught me a lot about life too.
Phib

Post by Phib »

Like stated before I never knew there was a forum so I was a late bloomer, I went on a site after trying WOWC and found Illa.. I was looking for a good time

Hmm.. Well I never have quit until now.. It's been 5 years... life has dealt me some unfortunate cards and I am playing them.. besides my wifes defeat with breast cancer, golf schedule and kids.. internet time is few and far between.
But most of all being an older player of the community was the immaturity of the younger players.. waaa this waa that.. cliqueish and just alienating a majority of the people...

I would like to come back to this game eventually.. my wife and I loved to play this game.. real life is real life.. cant hide behind a screen forever.. I have to put shoes and clothes on an eleven and 7 daughters ya know.. maybe someday

Hmm.. best times have to be first and foremost Leva! my first friend and teacher of everything Illa.. Jox, Ori, Vel, Sere, kitsa, nell, Saigwin,Yvanna, Sonara your PO is at the tip of my tounge... just loved the time I had while making friends...

Making friends.. emertion into an alternate universe, creating somthing new

The immaturaty of the younger players.. felt too high schoolish after a while.. hiding behind false pretenses... Well yeahh I have to say immaturaty.

good friends.. sound Rp.. real backrounds... less high school bickering (SORRY IM OLD)

yes to the younger players that want Illa to live on.. Grow UP!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Satisfy my curiosity?
For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

Because most of the time its boring.

Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Because generic mmo's got boring.
I logged in, ran into Liles and despite the rather simple gameplay it was fun anyway, where most games you spend about a week playing solo before running into anyone interesting or getting into a fun guild.

The open system that allows you to basically do whatever you like instead of having 4 classes where every level 10 mage is the same, with the same armour and the same skills was quite appealing.

Because it eventually also got boring, there's times when the game is real fun, but then some story ends and there isn't anything fun to do, spending most of the time walking in circles hoping to run into someone or killing the same lame mobs over and over again.
Going with a group to kill X was always fun, but most of the time it just didn't happen.

Also though the game allows you to do what you like and combine skills the way you like, it's pretty much determined by finding some good stats and grinding like a boss.

I have no idea how long I played before quitting.

Again, boredom, eventually I left again because over half of the time there is nothing to do, it might eventually get fun if you eventually run into to play with, but at some point you just can't bother waiting and go play WoW, because there's always something to do.

Lich wars was fun, a big event with things I hadn't seen before and plenty of fun roleplay to do instead of the day in day out same thing you oftenly get, it was pretty immersing and everyone went along with it, it wasn't the kind of quest that dissapeared and never happened when the fireballs stopped flying. I didn't even see most of it, but what I did see was awesome.

Orcs where also fun, getting into trouble and generally not being the same boring human or human with pointy ears like everyone else. It takes special kind of person to play an orc, if you saw an orc you had a 90% chance that you were going to have fun.

Open skill system.
Fun people.
The ability to make a difference.
It combines two things pretty well, many roleplaying games are either like DERP ME KNIGHT or lack the actual game part.
Running into new, fun characters every so often.

Lack of content, oftenly a lack of people to play with.
Sometimes the small ingame groupes are rather inaccessable.
solo-fighting is boring as hell, ctrl click & afk.
Huge map with hardly anything on it.

I hope the upcoming update will bring more fun things to do and make skilling in the game less boring and/or more of a group thing. Hopefully the group thing stimulates people to interact with eachother.

I'll most likely come and play for at least a while, wether I'll stay for long or not will eventually come down to the people I play with and wether there is enough to do with them.

I want to play again now, sadly there's just 5 people online and you can just feel that you're not going to run into any of them or that they'll just run past you. D:
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

I seem to remember I wondered in here from Rune Scape or some place and the great community, combined with the chance to bring my love of DnD into an online game had me hooked from day one.

I think if one invests too much time in any game eventually frustrations amass and a combination of the removal of an application system along with the frankly idiotic way the introduction of the magic system. Left me feeling the game no longer valued the effort of older players or the importance of a serious role playing environment.
I will add that though, seems things to have worked out well enough so I cannot fault staff for the choices made, those choices simply alienated me as a player until I felt it was time to move on. I left with fond feelings towards the game and pop in now and then happily.

I often pop back in because I find the player base friendly and chances are I can easily find some role play of one kind or another nearly any time I log in, which is a huge compliment to this community and its player base. What always pushes me away eventually is my lack of time combined with Illarions punishing skill system. If I want to grind levels these days I may as well go and play WOW or something similar. I play games like Illarion for the roleplaying but the system is not truly role play friendly. If you do not have skills you cannot fully partake in the game and to get skills you have to partake in something very boring.
Example of my recent return. The day I left I engaged a few characters in duals for fun and one ended in me getting clouded completely by accident (skill loss). I returned and due to hunger was clouded by flies (skill loss). I ran into some or other villain refusing to leave town and simply keeping in character attacked the character, got clouded (Ah more skill loss). So out of three deaths that have certainly removed skills which are a pain to regain at capped level one was actually necessary and serving the designers vision of making death important. By now this probably sounds like I am complaining, I cannot win I do not want to play. Far from it I am still playing and could not care who wins and loses in a role playing world. Simply it makes me less inclined to invest any real time or effort into a system that seems designed to punish mistakes, playing along and lag.

Too many to count, great players, great story lines. The best times are always when players cook up an amazing story that requires no GM action or when Gms put a real obstacle in front of players. Losing trolls bane to the undead was a great challenge and made for some awesome role playing on every level.

Great in game community with Friendly and accessible role play, infinite potential to be creative. An amazing dev team and admins, love em hate em, agree disagree this must be one of the oldest role playing games around that has not sold out like Tibia and others. The sheer length of this project and the fact it keeps growing is nothing short of amazing,

Skill and death system.
I could even accept and survive the current skill system but the fact that game punishes you by removing skills for accidentally taking on to many mobs is disheartening. There are many more ways to control pging or gold farming without punishing a player for being online. As far as PvP goes there needs to be a system that makes it serious without allowing X maxed character to breeze through town and kill a few people, ultimately costing them time to recover what they lost to amuse that player.

The VBU will do a lot to address this the video shows game play more like UO and as such skilling up will be a little more fun, more tactical and exciting I am sure.

Lack of direction in game, players can only create so much role play before it becomes a case of stirring up unneeded conflict or just sitting around telling stories. The plot arc of the world needs to draw players in more, the game does not feel threatening, no reason to combine and work towards goals.

Well what I would like to see is probably not what most people would want, but you did ask....
An option to create a character that arrives packaged and playable. So I can make an old soldier or medium skilled mage and role play a character. I do not care if this character can never be a pvp god. I do not mind if he can never cast the best spells. I just want to be able to log in and involve myself in the game be that hunting, plotting or story making. Something along the lines of starting at 70% of selected skilles and capping at 90% or similar. Basically I want to skip the chore of making a character, so I can enjoy the strong points of the game.

More focused plot line that encourages players to have a goal or react to a threat. Obviously we cannot have a plot a week that is awesome, but we can have a series of events that makes players focus on achieving something or working together. Ideas like the drought, the lich wars and more made players band together and work as a unit.

I am excited to see what the VBU brngs to the game and pleased to see the game is still going strong, always nice to be around :)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thank you for everyone's thought provoking input, I am making this a sticky hoping other players will contribute also.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I honestly started playing Illa because Irania made me. She can be very forceful and violent.

I've left the game a few times. I'm not going to lie, I've ragequit at least three times because of in game stuff I couldn't stand. At one point I just realized that I was entirely too enmeshed in the game and I had to take a break. I was working my entire schedule around when I could play and when I knew the people I RP'd with would be online. It was getting ridiculous how much my life revolved around this game, even as a working adult with a full time job. It became an obligation, a bad stress in my life. So I left.

Usually my sister would pester me with OMG YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT IS HAPPENING IN GAME, or ARISTEAUS IS LOGGED IN GET IN GAME NOW OMG. Either that or I came up with a character concept I just couldn't leave alone.

Most of my best memories include the early days of Quinasa in Trolls Bane, with Athian Corulas the Feral and Aristeaus. My very best memory, though, was the day Maj died. It wasn't the happiest time, but it was the best role play. Pendar and Caitilin gave great performances, and I'd never felt so much for any of my characters as I did that day. I still miss her. She was my favorite.

The community. The ability to create a character from nothing, with any background you wish, and fit them into this crazy world.

The community. The current crafting system. The game requiring too much work to be fun.

I'm just going to say that the plans for the VBU make the future of this game exciting for me. It's going to change A LOT, and a lot of people aren't going to like it, but Illarion needs a face-lift in more ways than just visually. Also I'm v excited about paper dolling.

I miss the old player base. I hope some of them come back for the VBU.
Guir Rabenflügel

Post by Guir Rabenflügel »

Well, I have to admit that it was just a coincidence that I found the homepage of Illarion and I thought, that this game could be quite interesting. I was very new to games in the internet because I got my first internet just a half year before XD I started with an elven char but I quit playing just a few weeks later, I think it was just... to early for me, to play a game like Illarion. A half year later I tried again with another and it was fun from the first moment. I love RPGs and Illarion is also responsible for that, so... thanks ;)

I never really quit playing Illarion, but I've reached a point where I had so say to myself, that my char isn't worth playing anymore. I have reached a lot with my char and it was fun to watch the development of my char, other chars and the game itself. But everything comes to an end and so it was with my char. Sometimes I had to stop playing, because I had problems with my computer or my internet, but I think I was an active player for... 4 or 5 years, before I "quit" playing.

Seriously? I don't know. Maybe to try other ways of playing. Not just to be the good one all the time. Sometimes it was just "oh, let's look what has happened in the last few weeks/month" and most of the time it remembered me of my reasons why I've left the game. But I think, that Illarion is a game, that nobody can escape :twisted: You will come back, maybe just to try a new character or to log in with your old one and discover what you have missed. ;)

That is a very difficult question. There are many good memories. And really good times. But I remember a party in my first year in Illarion. It was in the grey refuge. Together with the old leaders and old knights we had a really good time and after we were all drunk, I remember a very funny conversation with a lizard about the reproduction of lizards... I fell off my chair :D

-be part of an epic story
-not to run everywhere, doing quests and that was it
-imagine another life
- this game is (in my opinion) the real meaning of "MMORPG"

-good players left, not so good players come
-sleeples nights, because of you are depend on other players
-it was difficult to be part of a play, when there were many players speaking at the same time

I will answer this question after the VBU maybe ;)

I've never played a game for such a long time and for so many hours. Games like Illarion are very rare nowadays and that is the "magic" of Illarion. I will go on playing from time to time. Sometimes with my old char, sometimes with other chars maybe. The "good old times" are over I think, but it is still a very good game and I will follow up its development with interest :) Go on boys and girls, you are doing a very good job :D
Last edited by Guir Rabenflügel on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banduk

Banduk - probably the oldest active PO

Post by Banduk »

Older player, that sounds like directed to me … ok let’s try.

I did what parents should do, looking for what my children are playing. And after some month both get nerved due to ongoing intrusion so I got the answer “You should play yourself dad!” one day. I started and stuck.

I didn’t quit playing really since 2006. Just sometimes be away for some weeks due to RL reason. The longest time away I think was caused by changing the internet provider and being weeks without a line.

I want to know what’s going on in game. I want to have a chance to go on with my char. Often enough I want to have a little bit a change. My wife says I’m addicted.

Playing together, talking, talking, talking, whenever RP goes on and both sides win.
Just some great times has been short intensive role plays:
- Barging about 10 copper for 15 minutes.
- My beggar got trashed due to anybody believe he light Bane.
- Being insane in the hospital after coming from the cross.
- …
And there are other things like taking part in any large quest or writing offline stories about my chars as well.

The community is the best.
I’m glad to have anything, which not becomes linear after a time. Playing against a KI can’t be as good as playing with people. So far Illarion is what a MMORPG should be for me.
I love the capability to build up a char with a long term perspective and follow this over years.
And there is the RL meeting in Friesen. I’ve been the 1st time the driver only … until I enter the house. I haven’t met so many maniacs at any other place. I feel good over there. Must I sorry now?

To less capabilities to have a short time RP if you are not in a position to play as much as the most of the players.
Excessive PG’ing required getting any skill to a reasonable level.
Focus changes to fighting over time.
In game events rules the real life.

Reducing the amount of fighting and the need of PG’ing is one point.
The graphics is ok for me but if it helps to attract further player I’d take a newer one too.
And playing more nothing can force me. Except I’ll get retired, but there are some year left.

I ask the players having time to stay multiple hours IG every day to take care for other, who have a real life additionally. We want to take place in the game as well.
Setherioth

Post by Setherioth »

I've been out of the loop for awhile so I apologize if my answers may be a little irrelevant. But it's a survey! It says older players! So I'll fill it out anyways! :D

I was in to RPG's of all kinds and I found this off of, i think it was http://www.mpogd.com, and Illarion was in the top 100 list or so, back in 2001.

Some pretty big changes were made to the game itself, and a number of familiar faces had left or were leaving. I played from 2001 to 2003 consistantly, and I think I drifted away start of 2004.

I have tried to come back a few times over the years but the problem I found was with the expansion of the map and usually not a large player count online, I very rarely ran into somebody! That coupled with the amount of changes, made it difficult to get back into the swing of things.

Well, like any game of this nature, my best memories are with/from the other players. Let's face it, Illarion wouldn't be very fun playing it by yourself. I guess just spending enough time in game to get to know the people and establish a connection is all it takes to start having a good time.

The shining light of Illarion which makes it unique and unequaled, is it is one of the, if not the only remaining RPG that is actually still a role-playing game. Ever tried to role play in WoW? You get laughed at and told to shut up. About 99% of games that billet themselves as an RPG make a joke of it or really don't encourage the player to try. By today's game standards, Call of Duty is an RPG as you're 'role-playing' a guy with a gun.

For a game that appears simplistic it has a fairly steep learning curve. User Interface is pretty clunky.

I can't say I'm currently familiar enough with the game to constructively comment on this one. But all this VBU talk has gotten me a little excited, and I think I'm going to give it a solid go when it rolls around.

It brings a smile to my face everytime I log into Illarion and see the chatbox full of RP chat. Only the occasional (( )). No other game consistently has this. Plus I have many fond memories of this game when I was in high school. :)
Ceigan Ibatha
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Ceigan Ibatha »

Hey my lovely Illarion crowd. I enjoy randomly peeking in on you to see what's going on! Sorry if some of my answers aren't relevant anymore-- I'm answering from what it was like when I last played.

That feels like forever ago! I remember getting tired of Runescape and decided try something new. Illarion was the new thing.

I got busy with school and jobs and all that annoying life stuff. I had been playing Illarion on and off for several (4?.. I don't remember) years before quitting.

I think I tried to come back, but everything had changed so much I didn't feel like re-learning everything. It felt like a completely new game to me. I also remember the skill system had been tweaked so improving things were more difficult.
Oh gosh. So many fun times! Some highlights:
I loved the atmosphere during the drought. Big scary overlord Darlok that could destroy my soul if I ever ran into him-- fantastic! I loved the roleplay that developed from two groups pitted against each other as well. That was my first experience with a quest going on for an extended period of time and I really enjoyed it.

I loved playing my orc Kruuba. Running around being a super strong orc warrior with my orc brethren.. Too much fun.

Finally, I loved the roleplay that developed from Ceigan. He was such a unique character to play with and it was fascinating/exciting to see how people reacted to him. (& how I reacted to people! :P ). He was probably the character I enjoyed playing the most, and funny enough, the character with absolutely no skills at all. He couldn't fight/craft/do anything to save his life. It was all about burning books, eating socks, and the magenta troll XD.

The nurturing roleplaying environment this game provides! It seriously has no bounds and can be so fun if you get the right people together in the game. Illarion is small-- and I think that's what makes it so fun. The gameplay and quests are on a more personal level.
Many may disagree with me, but I think that making the skill system harder to improve was a mistake. It made improvement more of a chore than anything else. I missed the days when I wouldn't have a weird blue spiral glitter explosion surround me whenever I had maxed out for the day. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand the argument against powergaming-- but shoot, I think the way it was worked just fine. Having skills to backup your character's story/roleplay is what makes it fun!

I'll play again if I get my own IG castle. And the bricks have to be pink. Speaking of pink bricks, whatever happened to Martin? Is he still around? The Austrian graphics guy that was hilarious? I think he liked to ski too. I miss him.

Thanks for the fun times guys! I looked at my first forum character and realized i started playing this game in 2003. I was 12 years old at the time. That's insane.
Gryphius

Post by Gryphius »

Hello, Illarionites. Long no see!

I was curious what the phenomenon MMORPG was all about, but was looking for one that didn't focus on skill-gaining like most do. Illa looked just like my cup of tea, due to its "unscripted theatre" approach - and it was.

I played Gry for about two years (2006-2008) before pulling the char from the game. Since then, i made some sporadic appearences with secondary chars (such as Graalsh). However, i haven't played for about a year. Reasons were all the same: Real life duties. In addition, Gryphius and the whole town leading thing was too time-consuming, sometimes even punishing.

I wanted to re-experience the game from a new perspective, without all that heavy duty work. Anyhow, i left again, since my interests gradually shifted elsewhere.

The rise of Varshikar. Sadly, later it was overshadowed by its downfall. :cry:

• As i mentioned in the beginning, i just loved the "unscripted theatre" approach. And most of the time, it worked really well.
  • The overall tone on the board has improved a lot (big problem in the past)
  • Huge map to explore, many places to visit
  • The detailed background offers quite some depth
  • Too time-consuming (not really the game's fault, though)
  • Players who use their skill-maxed fighters to play yet another cardboard cut-out villain who commits random acts of violence and evades captivity every time. Back when i played, that aspect spoiled the fun of many, in favor to few.
Can't think of anything right now. Maybe later.

Glad to see you're still around! :D