What's up with GMs nowadays?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rekarafi

What's up with GMs nowadays?

Post by Rekarafi »

Okay, first of all, i have nothing against the GMs. I am glad someone is helping to keep this game alive, so we can all enjoy this experience.

But there is something i would like to criticise. Events or Happenings created by gms.

Let me explain what happened this day:
My character was with some of his fellows training in a room. All of a sudden, a man appeared. He brabbled something about a broken bottle and was
descriped as a ghostly shape on the wall. Since none of our characters did break any bottle, they of course didnt take the situation seriously.

After some discussion about a freed genie and three wishes he started to summon a skull which was slashed to pieces. This is where the GM started
to think in a way GMs seem to think often. People HAVE to pay respect to my doings. Since the skull did not make the people kneel down and praise the smoke,
a demon was summoned. Okay, nothing special, i free demons out of bottles all the time. After he was killed the GM wanted to regain his authority.

What to do? Spawn a dragon. Yes, a dragon. This is the point were we all logged out, because we did not want to die for such a bad roleplay.
I ask you, whoever GM made this 'event', is it really nessecary to spawn stronger and stronger minions until the people die to create a good athmosphere?
There are so many ways to make up good roleplay, let it be a wandering stranger, robbers, something people can interact with, instead of spawning demons,
dragons or whatever. Why don't you use them? I expected more from a GM.

I do not want to say that GMs create bad events, i just want to criticise this one i just experienced. I aswell ask the responsible Gamemaster to remove the dragon,
and even offer to repeat the event in a more enjoyable way. I hope this post is not deleted nor ignored. Really ruined the mood.

Regards, Reka alias Tash.
Nomos

Re: What's up with GMs nowadays?

Post by Nomos »

I feel the need for a CM coming on.

Now this is the story all about how
your power gaming session got flipped, turned upside down
and I’d like to take a minute just sit right there
and I’ll tell you how I became a GM of despair.

You were 4 players all locked in a room PG without any RP interaction, even stoned up the doors in case other players came to disturb it. Now I don’t have a problem with power gaming but let’s not take the piss. I added you a little chance to have some RP fun with content and also fight some monsters but you played , well you didn’t really did you. That is fine I don’t have a problem with that it is a game fun but what you are saying is... Its fine for you NOT to take content, RP and players seriously when your trying to cap your skills (again no problem with capping skills) but a differing matter when a GM doesn't? Pot kettle black.
Lenloyd

Post by Lenloyd »

Nomos wrote:well you didn’t really did you.
And that's a lie.

---

1) The walls were not for
Nomos wrote:in case other players came to disturb it
there have a rp-background.

2) You gave us a chance to rp, and we took it. I think we had enough rp
with you. And I think it was a nice idea with the skull. The demon was nice,
but a uber dragon is shit.

---

Some quotes: GM = gm - A,B,C = players

---

Du hörst: the glass bottle break, it hisses as the couldy air inside escapes through the crack.
A: Mh?

---

GM: Why did you break my bottle
B: Where the hell did he come from?
C: Who is this idiot?
B points his wand at the human.

---

GM is a ghostly image made from the smoke of the broken bottle
A: Come on.
C: Ah, i know.
C: I have three wishes now right?
C: Okay, first i want money.
B chuckles slightly.
Lenloyd

Post by Lenloyd »

Gm: You have nothing, like I have nothing. Who broke my bottle.
C: Screw your bottle geenie, you owe me a treasure.
B: It was Gurk who broke it.
C: Second i'll take..eeh..immortality.
B: I have absolutely no idea, why...
B rubs his neck.
A: Here a new bottle.
B: Oh, and some magical enchanted weapons.
Gm looks around at the men, his eyes are smoke and white, his face pale and moving like water.
Gm: You think it fun to play with me. Make fun of wishes?
C places a lot of bottles on the table
C: I dont make fun of them. I demand these things right now. I freed you geenie, so you will grant me these things now.
Gm: I am no Genie you greedy fool
w:B: How do you defeat smoke?
C: Who do you call greedy? It serves the greater good, stupid geenie!
w:D: Tötet ihn mit eurer Magie.
C: Now get in one of these bottles and serve me!
w:B: Inhale it?
w:D: Feuer, dann erwärmt er sich nochmehr.
Gm points a hand made of smoke at the man. 'Your rude and selfish words will grant you a wish.'
w:D: Ich versuche ob ich ihn mit einem Pfeil treffe.
C: Why not three?
B turns for a moment, summoning a stone wall in front of the door.
(...)
Gm: You will live forever in the eternal life.
C: How cute..
(...)
Du hörst: *It has taken time for the smoke to gather its form and power.*
B waves his wand, mumbling a few words. Small flames begin to spread out of it's top after a few seconds.
Drache absorbiert die Magie.

And so on.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

With Nomos here, if that happened to appear IG, I wouldn't try acting the moron. You neither knew what he was, nor what he was capable of, so when you's push the smoke man to a point of extreme pissed-ofness, you's created that situation on your own. You can complain about the GM all you like, but seriously?

Try and RP like the mortal beings you are, who don't know everything, haven't encountered everything that there is to encounter, and perhaps you wont piss of the dragon friendly smoke man in the future.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

My personal opinion. There have been SOOOO many complaints of GM's not "making the game exciting" anymore by their non-involvement due to so busy working on the VBU that I can only say YEAH, thank you so much for actually becoming involved and giving a quest, even a mini-quest! :D *hopes one of her chars will run across one some day*

There are a few GM's that have given elaborate quests only to hear complaint after complaint which usually far outweighs the thanks received. Lots of quests were also stopped short due to this very issue. We may not like all quests (like the time whomever sent that super strong wolf at my new fighter char and when she finally managed to get away left her with a cold :lol: ) but please give some appreciation to the effort guys!Be willing to interrupt whatever to participate, if you are confronted by a dragon possibly instead of logging off (which I thought was against game rules by the way) start shaking in your knees and yelling "we are going to die!" :wink: . If ghosted at least your char has had something better to do with their time besides "I am standing here killing reds again and again because.....", AND it will make a fantastic story to tell later. *shrugs*

PS I think the question was answered and further talk can be continued via PM.