Opinion on certain roleplay

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderators: Gamemasters, Community Managers

Posts: 3221
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:34 pm
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: Berlin

Post by Djironnyma » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Once again where the server is located doesnt matter but where the society is located - and anyway - just because the rules are like they are in reason of the law, it doesnt mean cyber, rape and torture would be allowed if the laws would allow it. Is it so hard to believe that the majority (nearly all) off the society (which are more or less normal adult ppl, some of them with own kids) dont WANT a game where porn and force is needed for fun?

Seriously guys no one want to ban all evil rp or even any single act of force which happen ig, but if you cant play without you daily dose of porn and force than illarion isnt the right game for you.

Posts: 4725
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:25 pm

Post by Fooser » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

The Returner wrote:The quality of the IG atmosphere has been on a decline since like 2004. Its only just starting to recover, and thats mostly due to the fact that theres so few active players now all the cliques have either disasembled or have cross-friendships. Theres not enough going on atall for people, so people make things to do. Lots of time, people just need to cyber-screw. Its a fact of life, if an MMO exists, someone will do the dwarf-orc naked dance in it.

Maybe if this game had more to do, instead of being run by 15 or 20 people OOC, and lightly monitored by staff because of Illarion: Forever.
If one is using cliques as a basis for good or bad atmosphere then it should be considered the worst at 2004.

But anyways, as for someone who is dealing with the in-game quietness I pin it down to 3 things:
1) No technical or map improvements can be made, and there isnt a lot of forthcomingness about the VBU
2) No active quest gm's that I know of
3) People are left with conflict to generate interest and the bad guys are either A) 5 year old kids or B) mature people who leave two days later, leaving everything unresolved.

Those things are fixable but unfortunately not in the short term.

Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Turny For GM '12

Post by The Returner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

@Fooser So? At least then you had people willing to play.

Now you can log in, walk a few steps, find a group of people, passively play with them until either they make it clear your a bother, or you leave. Walk half the map. Find another group of people. Do the same.

Nobody really wants to engage. I've been back for over a month, and I can count the number of people who actively engaged in roleplay on one hand.


I find this legal matter totally silly to begin with. As there is nothing stopping a malicious youth from logging in, creating his own adult content, then logging out and complaining to his parents about the game to start a lawsuit. :roll:


I'm confident people still cyber in illarion. I'm confident banning them for it, if its out of the way and not very public is a mistake, and im confident that limiting roleplaying oppurtunities is also a mistake for the community. Its not a matter of 'evil' roleplay. You can still have sex and not be evil. Similarly, you could make a playerquest with a rape storyline and still not be evil. Its a point of view thing.

Honestly. Exposing youths to an addictive MMO where they can escape from reality by being someone completely different should be more against the law then a little bit of drama. God, theres even rape themes in G rated movies. I guess its to be expected of Germany though, they ban just about every videogame thats actually fun...

Developer
Posts: 12208
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:05 am

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Dji wrote:Is it so hard to believe that the majority (nearly all) off the society (which are more or less normal adult ppl, some of them with own kids) dont WANT a game where porn and force is needed for fun?

Seriously guys no one want to ban all evil rp or even any single act of force which happen ig, but if you cant play without you daily dose of porn and force than illarion isnt the right game for you.
Quoted for truth.

The Illarion society does not want porn, mutilating, rape, torture and other sick shit happening in this game. It has always been like this and this will not change.

If you think that allowing these things will improve the game - fail. Epic fail. So stop trolling!

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Estralis Seborian wrote:If you think that allowing these things will improve the game - fail. Epic fail.
Not a fail. Just find another game or code one yourself.
This game has some rules which might of course be discussed, but in the end, we decide.
Like it: Stay.
Don't like it: Deal with it or leave.

A rather simple thing.

Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Post by MyNameHere » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

+1

Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:25 am
Location: United States... :/

Post by Silo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

I'm sad to say that that's a rather horrible way to run things. But, who's to argue with those who may ban.

Let me just make this clear.
Estralis Seborian wrote:The Illarion society does not want porn, mutilating, rape, torture and other sick shit happening in this game. It has always been like this and this will not change.
Explicit content, mutilation, rape, torture, and anything else a sane man wouldn't do are hereby banned from Illarion. Correct? No more cut off fingers, no more kicking people in the face to figure out where they took your wife, etc? Am I at least to assume that sex can happen on mutually agreed terms in a not-#me'd way for the creation of children?

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

There is no change of rules whatsoever.
It is like that and it was like that for a long time.

See, if you want to play out such things, why just do it in IRC, ICQ, MSN, jabber, facebook-chat, per e-mail or forum-PM instead? It's not that the Illarion client was the only way to comunicate with peple around the world you play with, and if so, this'd be the real FAIL.
Want to cut off another characters finger or any other valuable body part? Do it if you wish, but not using our client and our server.

Where's the problem?

What are you discussing about, really? That there are rules? That we created this game, paying money for it, investing time (MUCH time, in fact!) and then simply enforce OUR rules?
Don't like it, and thereby I rephrase: Come here, help us build the game and change it if you wish!

We ask for help once a month with almost NO outcome (and I remind you: The "developers" of Illarion were all just simple players like you, you and you, they weren't born special or royal or something!), now tell me: WE create that game for YOU, YOU are not even willing to help, why should we really be listening to you? You stand there doing nothing, as most of you, and start brabbling how we should do and change this and that.

Talk is easy.

So:
Like it? Play.
Don't like it? Deal with it, help developing it or LEAVE.

Now, that's as easy as it can get.

Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 pm
Illarion e.V.: Support Member
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Alexander Knight » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

I say we all donate ten dollors :) Keep Illarion running.

Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Kugar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

martin wrote:There is no change of rules whatsoever.
It is like that and it was like that for a long time.

See, if you want to play out such things, why just do it in IRC, ICQ, MSN, jabber, facebook-chat, per e-mail or forum-PM instead? It's not that the Illarion client was the only way to comunicate with peple around the world you play with, and if so, this'd be the real FAIL.
Want to cut off another characters finger or any other valuable body part? Do it if you wish, but not using our client and our server.

Where's the problem?

What are you discussing about, really? That there are rules? That we created this game, paying money for it, investing time (MUCH time, in fact!) and then simply enforce OUR rules?
Don't like it, and thereby I rephrase: Come here, help us build the game and change it if you wish!

We ask for help once a month with almost NO outcome (and I remind you: The "developers" of Illarion were all just simple players like you, you and you, they weren't born special or royal or something!), now tell me: WE create that game for YOU, YOU are not even willing to help, why should we really be listening to you? You stand there doing nothing, as most of you, and start brabbling how we should do and change this and that.

Talk is easy.

So:
Like it? Play.
Don't like it? Deal with it, help developing it or LEAVE.

Now, that's as easy as it can get.
Image

Developer
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 10:23 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member

Post by Jupiter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Alexander Knight wrote:I say we all donate ten dollors :) Keep Illarion running.
Unless you all spend enough so that the society can hire a fulltime deveolper, it won't help.
Those who work on Illarion are doing it for free; therefore, money won't bring anything.

What is needed, is "manpower".

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Jupiter wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote:I say we all donate ten dollors :) Keep Illarion running.
Unless you all spend enough so that the society can hire a fulltime deveolper, it won't help.
Those who work on Illarion are doing it for free; therefore, money won't bring anything.
This is also not really true.
Fact 1) The developers actually PAY for Illarion (to have the server running etc.)
Fact 2) Paying a full time developer? Huh? And what would we others do? One gets paid, the others do it for free? Sounds like no deal.

Martin

Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Turny For GM '12

Post by The Returner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

Estralis, you know I love you, but I never thought I'd see the day where you out douche martin, in 1/3rd of the posts, ouch.

Martin, really? The tired old "if you don't like it, leave" arguement? Have you ever wondered why GM's in this game abuse power, and why theres so few players, that the game can barely keep a top 100 run going? I mean come on. You created a whole society to work the game off of, but your best play for new players, instead of real discussion is "No this is how it is, because we said so." You might as well go to a schoolyard, turn a kid upside down, and take his lunch money. "Hey if you don't like it....bring a packed lunch!"

Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am
Location: In a cave some where. Now wipe yor feet.

Post by Copper Dragon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

The Returner wrote:Estralis, you know I love you, but I never thought I'd see the day where you out douche martin, in 1/3rd of the posts, ouch.

Martin, really? The tired old "if you don't like it, leave" arguement? Have you ever wondered why GM's in this game abuse power, and why theres so few players, that the game can barely keep a top 100 run going? I mean come on. You created a whole society to work the game off of, but your best play for new players, instead of real discussion is "No this is how it is, because we said so." You might as well go to a schoolyard, turn a kid upside down, and take his lunch money. "Hey if you don't like it....bring a packed lunch!"
I think 5 pages of discussion could be considered a real discussion. But thats besides the point. In all of life there are rules, especially in games. I've read through all 5 pages and a lot has been said and some things repeated back and forth but from what I can piece together there are lines that should not be crossed expressivly or for some implisitly. Now Estralis and Martin do have a point in that they DO make the server rules but they are willing to listen to a respectful argument with proper points for and against actions but to have a real voice in what is added to the game actions (help making content) speak louder and carry more weight. Flaming the creators and GMs is not the way to a statement that will be taken seriously. There are countless ways to create RP and drama, but limiting a few that are socially unexceptable dues not limit RP in my opinion. It just means that more creative ways are needed to create said RP. Remember, Evil has goals just the same as good and some times the actions can be the same but the intent and outcome are very different.

Just my two copper on the subjects.

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

The Returner wrote:Have you ever wondered why GM's in this game abuse power, and why theres so few players, that the game can barely keep a top 100 run going? I mean come on.
Because you can't rape in game, right?
You created a whole society to work the game off of, but your best play for new players, instead of real discussion is "No this is how it is, because we said so." You might as well go to a schoolyard, turn a kid upside down, and take his lunch money. "Hey if you don't like it....bring a packed lunch!"
LOL.
Please collect 10 reasons why this analogy is in fact none yourself.

Bye, Galim

Community Manager
Posts: 4168
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 am
Location: A field of dandelions

Post by Achae Eanstray » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Opinion on certain roleplay

It appears that the original discussion has veered off into other avenues and possibly sending PM's if needed is best. Therefore will lock the thread for now. Send me a PM if this is a problem for anyone.
Achae

Return to “General / Allgemeines (Player Forum)”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.