Repairing in VBU

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ace

Repairing in VBU

Post by Ace »

Will Repair feature be addressed in VBU? Possibility to dump more resources into actually maintaining the item at its present quality?
Currently repair feature is a joke, nobody uses it, nobody orders repairs, people just ask to craft new items, because repairing actually ruins the item.
Alli Zelos

Re: Repairing in VBU

Post by Alli Zelos »

I was under the impression that a smith with a higher skill would actually be able to repair an item successfully. This isn't true? :(
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

That is to. A smith as well as Carpenter and so on (with required Skill for the to raparing item) is able to fix the durability. Therefor the item takes a loss of quality
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

but noone wants a very bad/horrible brand new [insert item name here]...we all want our excellent/very good brand new [insert item name here]

but with druidry you can now use a potion to get durability back to brand new without a loss in quality, so anyone can repair an item skill or not that way...but actual repairs by a crafter are crap

repairing is something most people won't do since its easier/cheaper to get a new [insert item name here]

I'm almost certain thats what Ace meant
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

No fundamental changes are planned for repairing items.

Ordering a new item instead of repairing an item is encouraged and wanted.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Sorry to drudge up an old post, but I do have a question.

WHY do you say that "Ordering a new item instead of repairing an item is encouraged and wanted"? I honestly don't understand the logic behind the idea.

The closest idea that I can think is that in ordering a new item you provide work for crafters, but if a crafter could repair the item without a loss of quality than that would create a lot more and more consistent work than new builds would.
Athian

Post by Athian »

David Turner wrote:Sorry to drudge up an old post, but I do have a question.

WHY do you say that "Ordering a new item instead of repairing an item is encouraged and wanted"? I honestly don't understand the logic behind the idea.

The closest idea that I can think is that in ordering a new item you provide work for crafters, but if a crafter could repair the item without a loss of quality than that would create a lot more and more consistent work than new builds would.
Hey again

In the Post VBU world, this is a method to encourage the economy of the game. When you are looking at the crafting step, certainly it seems fine if you can repair one item endlessly but what about the laborers however? who would buy iron ore or wood or gold and other raw materials if items could be made a single time and repaired endlessly? There would be no demand for raw materials with perfect repairing. Considering that there are no locked classes as well any character could learn smithing to the point of repairing has most used objects (the quality and durability you can make an item at does not have any effect on repairs i believe), which means that even craftsmen would suffer from this.

The Druid marvel paste already basically does this action anyway. Keeping a generic items quality while restoring its endurance. Magical weapons, wands and non-creatable items (the short morning star, clubs, rasp, cloud shield...etc) are all exempt from being repaired this way however. Post VBU all items(or most anyway) are to be made creatable but I imagine that some will still remain beyond the power of a druid polish to repair, thus giving incentive for craftsmen to work there way towards these 'craft exclusive items'.

We'll have to wait for a GM to confirm any of this for now

CM-Ath
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

The current system cuts out the laborers completely in favor of the druids. I don't see how the current system helps laborers at all. Now, if the OP's idea of using some materials was implemented than it would help laborers, but why use their services at all under the current system?

The only thing "repairing" is good for is raising skills without having to use the services of a laborer at all.
Athian

Post by Athian »

In the Post VBU world
I don't mean to sound mean but you seem to be only partly reading my posts and picking out what you want of them. Yes the current system is imbalanced, but as the topic was Repairing in the VBU I was assuming we were taking about post VBU, not right now. We can't speculate entirely on the VBU because its not here right now. I'm not really sure what you want, do you just want to debate for the sake of debating? do you have some suggestions you want to make? At least in terms of the second one you can always go to the illarion Mantis and 'request a feature'.

CM-Ath
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I do believe that the original poster has a good idea, it is the sort of thing that just seems like common sense. If the reason it hasn't been implemented is that there isn't time to do it or something else preventing them from looking into it, than fine. But if there is some other reason, then I really do want to know what it is that makes this state preferable to a change. That isn't to say that there isn't a good reason for it, I just want to know what that is if there is some specific reason.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Confused fellow not upset. A change if any is going to be made to this will take place in the VBU, this will not e implemented in the current workings as the current workings will be thrown out the window during the VBU. it's likely not going to be a minor adjust that is made to any but rather a full overhaul on the features that will be changed. Very rarely is it understood how much work goes into what players view as a simple change, its time better spent working on the update. it makes less sense to incorporate an idea like this into a soon to be replaced system then to work towards better implementation in a upcoming one. If you think about it, it does make sense although it may not be entirely ideal. A GM or Dev may come along to answer more in-depth as to the repair feature in the VBU.

CM-Ath
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

I guess all we can do is wait and hope Estralis can explain what he meant when he said that "ordering a new item in encouraged and wanted". Anything else is just wasted words.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I ment what I wrote :-P!

The aim is that in future, instead of repairing the very same sword endlessly, you are encouraged to buy a new sword instead. I didn't check the state of repairing how it is supposed to be after the VBU, but I know that this topic was adressed. A scripter might know more details.

Wear of items will be polished as well; so in the end, it is likely that you cannot really compare the current state with the post VBU state. Always keep in mind that realism isn't a goal of development; fun is! And yes, it IS fun to have a sword that undergoes wear, especially for the merchant that will sell you the next sword ;-).
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

I guess more information on this will have to wait till after the VBU after-all. Though I am one who thinks that being constantly in demand to keep weapons sharpened is much more fun for a crafter than to be intermittently in demand to completely replace the old weapon (the same with tools and armor, etc.)