Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderators: Gamemasters, Community Managers

Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:45 am

I don't know who to contact, the posted lists do not help.
0
No votes
I don't know what to do, the posted information does not help.
1
3%
I wanted to help, but the task I got was lame.
4
11%
I helped once, that's enough!
3
8%
I tried to help but my skills weren't sufficient.
6
16%
Technical issues keep me from contributing (please specifiy)
3
8%
I just want to play, OK?
3
8%
I don't give a shit.
10
27%
Other (please specify)
7
19%
 
Total votes: 37

Developer
Posts: 12213
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 am

Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Fellow Illarionites,
as you all might know, the developers of Illarion are very busy to develop a non incremental update for Illarion ("VBU"). You can review a teaser here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=35360

Illarion is a spare time project and the developers have limited time they can invest into this project. RL jobs, studies, bachelor/master/PhD thesis keep them busy. For a spare time project, much progress was achieved during the last few months but there are still some obstacles that have to be overcome before the VBU can be released.

To reduce that time, the developers need your support. You, that are the players of this game, the persons that shape the actual game world and create all the stories and marvellous characters of Illarion. However, factual support from the players was very low. Some contacted developers or responded to calls for help, but the outcome was usually very limited. Also, those who helped lost motivation after one or two tasks.

To find out about the reasons that keep people from contributing and thus, reducing the time until release of the VBU, I started this little poll. You can mark any number of answer. Please specify your answer where prompted.

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I voted for other, so here I am specifying my answer.

I've already volunteered a couple of times to help, and added a few things here and there, however I very very quickly loose motivation to do so. The reason for this is quite simply that the direction the VBU is taking is rather uninspiring, and the attitude of some of the devs (not all I might add) stinks.

We as players are constantly bombarded with demands that we help contribute to illarion, that if we don't like something we should get involved and change it, and that it's super simple now to do so. However when you actually get in the reality is far from what is promised. What happens is that you are made into a monkey with a typewriter, and told to make ten thousand NPC's with the super easy editor. Granted this is now very easy, but its also very dull and very repetitious. Not to mention that, in my humble opinion, it's a terrible direction to take the game.

Now if you're lucky enough to either stick it out a little longer to learn some LUA or maybe even know some coming in, you might get to work on a few more interesting scripts, but you're still treated like a minimum wage slave in a sweatshop. Maybe its just they don't like me personally but I really got the feeling that I was just some scum to be ordered around and told to do the menial jobs that they couldn't be bothered with. Maybe that's true, and maybe that's what you need from small time contributors, but the fact remains, if you're assholes about the whole process then people are going to loose interest and leave.

And then its demanded that I either grovel at the feet of such senior devs in complete and total gratitude for their amazing sacrifice of time to develop for illarion and that this gives them total complete superiority and competence in matters of design decisions and game direction. And well, to be honest, I'm only greatful to those few devs who actually spent some time to listen to my opinions on such matters and do so in a pleasant constructive way. The rest? Well they can get off their high horse and go smile themselves as far as I'm concered.

And so, in short; I stopped helping because I was expected to work on things that I didn't think were right for illarion, in poor conditions, and by people who treated me like shit. Saying things like; "Like it or leave." is all very good and understandable. Just don't turn around and complain when people decide to take the latter option.

If you want more of the current playerbase to contribute to illarion. Then take the VBU in a direction that the current playerbase will benefit from (seriously,
how retarded is it to ask us for help and in the same breath tell us we're no longer the target audience for the VBU) and that will focus on its strengths, and do it in a manner that isn't completely misanthropic.

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

@Nalzaxx:
While your posting is rather lengthly and I get it that most of the unmentioned "senior devs" are, in fact, me, I don't quite get your point.
You don't like the direction the VBU is taking. This is okay, and you can help anywhere you want and wherever you can, giving it YOUR direction. There are no bosses in Illarion development who say "You do this, you do that, and do it this way". There is just a bunch of individuals with, most of the time, rather controversal opinions about what to do and how to do it, and in the end everything is decided by the fact that it is simply done.
Our idea with NPCs is that without them, Illarion is rather empty. A chat room with some graphics. And it's a simple observation: When a new player enters the game and all he sees is grass, trees, walls and empty roads, he's likely to leave.
However, in case you have suggestions how this could be changed without the need of NPCs, we'd be glad, as we don't have enough for our measures, thus a system relying LESS on NPCs is rather welcomed, if not desired and wished for.

As for being a slave:
We all are. To ourselves. Once more, I repeat: I pay for developing this game (this year probably about 500-600 euros). I don't get a single cent out of it. So, now tell me who's the slave here. Take, for example, a set up situation where I pay this amount of money per year and you tell me that I should be developing Illarion in another direction -- wouldn't that be strange? Who'd be the slave then? The one paying real money and spending real time for it being told what to do and how to do it?
Of course, many aspects of developing a game are not as interesting as it seems. This has to be taken into account. I have manually entered several tenthousands of stupid lines into the client to define which graphic has to displayed where relative to a field, which animation is played when. This is even less interesting than anything I could imagine. Trying 12 pixel here, well, 14 works better. Have the shadow start here or there, was it northeast or north now? Damn. Several tenthousands of times! And yes, I did that, because I realized that if I told someone else to do it, they'd think they are slaves doing stupid work. Thus, I did the stupid work myself (and so did Nitram, Vilarion and Kadiya, who, at the same time, could have written thousands of lines of code instead).

I am totally aware of that you're not aware of that, therefore I mention it.

Now, to come to a point:
In which direction would you WANT Illarion to go?
And what hinders you starting your own server then? We are open source! Buy a server (that's what we did), compile everything, there you go!

Martin

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

No, I'm perfectly aware of the time and dedication and money that you sink into illarion. I also understand that you too do the menial and uninteresting work and that you have to do what motivates you as well. Furthermore I am aware of the open nature of the society and that people contribute what they can and that is how things are changed and progress. It seems apparent too that you have more of a right to decide which direction illarion progresses in.

Its just it didn't feel that way at all, and when it comes to motivation, its a lot more in how people percieve a system than how it actually works. Yes, technically, everything you said might be true, and it is indeed a completely fair system. However that isn't going to win you any points when it comes to getting other people on board and so they aren't likely to be motivated to work with you.

The point I'm trying to make is emotional and psychological, and so it is going to be ambiguous and unclear. People have to feel like they matter and what they are doing is important even if they arn't and it isn't.

Now to come to your points;

The direction I want to see Illarion go in is to expand upon its sandbox nature. The beauty of illarion is that it provides an engine in which to build and play your own characters story in the context of a meaningful world filled with meaninful people. I don't want more content to be added, but more ways for the players themselves to build content within the game. I don't want more NPC's running around, but more player merchants and quest opportunities.

The first thing you want a new player to see, isn't some NPC's that will give them a cookie cutter quest to go on, but another player who will tell them how to play the game and take them around to show them the way. That's what really gives illarion its charm and what hooks new players and keeps old ones. I want illarion to be an interesting, evolving world populated with players, not NPCs, and where we can create our own adventures and quests and stories and merchants and bandits and politicians. The problem with illarion at the moment is that there isn't enough ways to do that.

Having an NPC who tells you there's a Dragon terrorizing the villages to the east and then spawning a Dragon there is rubbish. Even if sometimes its bandits in the west or beholders in the north. The player still knows that its faked. That its been spawned because they talked to the NPC. That it isn't a part of the world and that the person who came before them did the same thing and that the next person will also. It doesn't write a story for the character. However that randomly spawned dragon, that so happened to wander to close to the town in the east, who the player came across and defeated. That's a story. That's contributing to the character, that has significance in the world. That doesn't require 30 nearly identical NPCs to be written.

The same with fetch quests. Don't have an NPC tell you to bring him 10 ore. And then again. And then again. And then the next person comes along and again. Don't even make it so that the NPC tells you to bring ore sometimes, and sometimes a hammer and sometimes nails. Have it so that player smith, working away on his anvil, will grab a noob and pay him a couple of copper to bring him some ore.

What has to be considered that this is a roleplaying game and that the world should exist to let us roleplay in interesting and meaninful ways. NPCs and preset quests are rarely interesting and never meaningful. King Bert the NPC ruler of Riverford means nothing to anyone and is a boring concept. Fooser, governor of Bane will always be more interesting, meaningful and unpredictable, even if he is inactive now and then. Concentrate on building a living world where we can express ourselves in the ways we want and help create rather than a static world which we have to play along with. There are a thousand online RPGs like that already. Many of which do it far better than illarion could hope to. Build on what we have, what we know, and what is great about illarion. Rather than trying to scrap all that for another clone.

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Nalzaxx wrote:It seems apparent too that you have more of a right to decide which direction illarion progresses in.
This right, however, is deduced from the fact that I simply DO what I want to be done.
What you do will be done. What you WANT to be done, might be done -- or it might not be done.
The direction I want to see Illarion go in is to expand upon its sandbox nature. The beauty of illarion is that it provides an engine in which to build and play your own characters story in the context of a meaningful world filled with meaninful people. I don't want more content to be added, but more ways for the players themselves to build content within the game. I don't want more NPC's running around, but more player merchants and quest opportunities.
While we ALL want that, this is my honest opinion, there is a small problem that you overlook here: Reality.
Having player merchants instead of NPC merchants is really a good idea! However, it won't work in Illarion because we don't have enough players. However, I don't see why NPCs would hinder anyone from selling his or her items?
The same holds for quests. Does an NPC mean that there are no more quests? Huh? Where do quests come from? YOU. Period. Having 10000000000 new NPCs, 20 billion new graphics, 90000000 static quests, what hinders YOU from doing quests? How are these things related?
The first thing you want a new player to see, isn't some NPC's that will give them a cookie cutter quest to go on, but another player who will tell them how to play the game and take them around to show them the way.
Exactly! I can't agree more!
However, once again, reality strikes. Don't know if you have noticed, but chances are that when you log on that noone else is online at the same time. And if there is someone, he's somewhere else. Chances of meeting this character(s): 0,001%.
I guess you get the picture.

Hint: We can't code players. We can try producing some, but to be honest, until they reach the age they should, it would take some time. Some efforts in this direction have however been successful.
That's what really gives illarion its charm and what hooks new players and keeps old ones. I want illarion to be an interesting, evolving world populated with players, not NPCs, and where we can create our own adventures and quests and stories and merchants and bandits and politicians.
Which static quest and which NPC hinders you from doing that?
Oh, and I want peace on earth. Once more, reality strikes. There are facts to be accepted, no matter how much we wish for something.
The problem with illarion at the moment is that there isn't enough ways to do that.
Which way would you wish to have?
That doesn't require 30 nearly identical NPCs to be written.
Neither do they in any way cause that your story ISN'T happening.
Have it so that player smith, working away on his anvil, will grab a noob and pay him a couple of copper to bring him some ore.
Wonderful!
But
1) This is what PLAYERS (like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) should do.
2) No NPC in this world will hinder any player smith in Illarion from doing exactly that!!!!!!!!!!!
3) REALITY CHECK! NOOB IS NOT LIKELY TO MEET A SINGLE PLAYER BECAUSE, WOW, NOONE IS ONLINE. Hint, hint.
What has to be considered that this is a roleplaying game and that the world should exist to let us roleplay in interesting and meaninful ways. NPCs and preset quests are rarely interesting and never meaningful.
This is why noone is urged to interfere with NPCs or doing preset quests. Right?
Don't want to do them? Don't do them.
Want to do them? Do so.

What you are complaining about is that someone has the CHOICE of doing something that you don't enjoy doing, right?

Martin

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

No, Im not complaining about that at all, but if I were to suggest all the things I did ontop of a zillion static NPC's I can be pretty sure to recieve the answer; "We have too few people, too little time, and this is too much work." Its not about developing one and not the other. I don't have a problem with eliza, or the irundar quest, and indeed I understand their value and enjoy using them myself.

I just get the impression that you are all so focused on mass producing NPC's that you neglect the other areas of the game that really matter.
This right, however, is deduced from the fact that I simply DO what I want to be done.
What you do will be done. What you WANT to be done, might be done -- or it might not be done.
This is the key thing really for less technically skilled people. We arn't capable of implementing what we WANT. So we look to the senior devs who are capable enough to do it. If we had a situation where you said. "These are cool ideas I want to put these ingame too, you do some NPC's, and I'll get this." That would be a great system and I would be happy and motivated enough to write them. However we don't have that. We have a situation where you say. "I don't care what your ideas are, write some NPCs." In which case what are we really getting out of contributing, and what motivation do we have to do it?
Which static quest and which NPC hinders you from doing that?
None. What hinders me is the lack of ability and evolving events in the world. Infact I've have had opportunities where as a player, I come across some rare event out in the wilderness, travel back to town, and get together some players to go out and resolve it. Sometimes I even toss in a reward. However the fact is that things like this happen so rarely that I hardly ever get the chance. Furthermore, not all players are capable of doing this to the extent I am. If there's something new and exciting and random happening everyday, people will get ingame to experience it.

I'm not complaining that people have the choice to do what they want. I'm complaining that they don't have enough choice outside of static NPCs. There are more and better ways to get and keep people ingame than simply filling the world with NPCs. They need stuff to do, and stuff to do when they've completed all the quests that have been set out, and explored all the dungeons and smithed everything they can. They need a world to live in that changes and adapts.

All Im saying is that put your focus on the good stuff. The stuff that will keep content flowing without having to constantly write new stuff. The stuff that generates unique experiences and stories. Get some NPCs yes. Of course. But we're happy to write them if we know that you're focusing on the better things.

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Post by Astorath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Actually I contacted a developer and got no answer.
I believe I can help sending new NPC's, but I don't know until what limits can we reach. Can I propose a trader NPC? Also, I believe I can make small quests with small rewards, but what can be given, again which are the boundaries?
You know, something that bothers me in Illarion is that sometimes you create a new character, starts to develop him and to whom you sell your stuff? Sometimes a NPC guy very far away in another town or that can't be reached (a bug in the system). I suppose you will say that I might sell it to other players, but that doesn't happen with begginers. Nobody buys stuff from you and when they want something, they want 200, 300, items and you can hardly make 05 through a decent session play. Or as I read once in a post, people buy things from you from pity or they give to you swords, shields, so you can get better stuff to sell. But I don't want help like that (thanks anyway to all those kind players), I want to play a character that can survive IG doing his stuff, no matter how long it takes to get there.
Maybe this has already been answered in any of all those posts about the VBU, but, I'm sorry for that, I cannot read all the posts, I try to follow some.

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Nalzaxx wrote:I just get the impression that you are all so focused on mass producing NPC's that you neglect the other areas of the game that really matter.
We are all so focussed on anything BESIDES NPCs that in the whole team of people developing the VBU, nobody cares for NPCs (except for 1 or to people who only translate some existing ones).
Just to get things straight.
This is the key thing really for less technically skilled people. We arn't capable of implementing what we WANT. So we look to the senior devs who are capable enough to do it. If we had a situation where you said. "These are cool ideas I want to put these ingame too, you do some NPC's, and I'll get this."
Noone hinders you to suggest something that you might want to be implemented but are not capable of doing it yourself.
However, you are just lamenting about how cool your ideas are and how bad ours are (this is, of course, some over-simplification), I asked you WHAT your ideas were but I haven't heard anything so far.
That would be a great system and I would be happy and motivated enough to write them. However we don't have that.
Suggest something we find cool and we implement it. I just see that you know something that would be cool but for some reasons you don't tell us.
We have a situation where you say. "I don't care what your ideas are, write some NPCs."
I have never ever said that, and I am sure that none of the "core developers" (Vilarion, Nitram, Estralis etc) ever said that. You once were a GM even, there is a whole forum for GMs presenting their ideas, and you can be sure that we read it. However, it is practically unused.
In which case what are we really getting out of contributing, and what motivation do we have to do it?
This is a community driven project.
I'm not complaining that people have the choice to do what they want. I'm complaining that they don't have enough choice outside of static NPCs. There are more and better ways to get and keep people ingame than simply filling the world with NPCs.
TELL US HOW, DAMN!
All Im saying is that put your focus on the good stuff.
TELL US HOW!

Martin

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Astorath wrote:Actually I contacted a developer and got no answer.
Who and when?

About restrictions:
Basically you are free to do whatever you find reasonable.
Traders work on a different base, so that isn't what we actually need. However, any other NPC or content that you think you could provide is welcome.

Martin

Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Turny For GM '12

Post by The Returner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I picked other, I too will specify my answer.

95% of the devs hate Turny. The other 5% is their saliva that would be on Turny if he tried to help. That is all.

P.S If made GM, I will demand V.B.U Be released on time (E.G NOW), and four hundred cookies provided to all existing characters.

Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 pm

Post by Retlak » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I chose other. I will make this short and sweet.

1. I spend a large percentage of my daily hours working and studying. This is soon to change in the next months and maybe then I get involved.

2. NPCs? I once got offered removal of my admonishments for writing NPCSs but I still did not do so. Reason? I wouldn't use them myself, and that is hard motivation. I don't even know how to do the current NPC quests ig, and they have been around years. I have nothing against static quests, however a script that spawns a random demon or dragon on the map every week would beat doing static fetch-me quests every day. I LOVE randomness where everyone has to get together and think on their feet about a situation.

3. I offered to help Martin with monster balancing, my favourite kind of job! Me beng primarily an engine-based player with a mathematical thinking pattern - I love balancing and working with values and so on, I would actually kill to have a role in the team simply balancing out things. But I cried for about 3 hours when he said the staff can handle it ;) and I suppose I got back into my usual daily activity then.

So really that's about it.

Matt

Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:17 am

Post by Aegohl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Hint: We can't code players. We can try producing some, but to be honest, until they reach the age they should, it would take some time. Some efforts in this direction have however been successful.
You have video of this, martin? *wiggles eyebrows*

Turny,

With all due respect, mate, you have this bad habit of wanting people to disregard your colorful past on one hand, but acting like people are judging you by it when they're not. I can almost 100% guarantee that even martin, your graphical-sparring partner of old, won't bat an eye at you developing scripts, graphics, whatever.

Moreover, aside from development, own the history and make the future. Besides, the internal thread that ultimately became the one where they picked me for the GM team (somewhere along 9 pages in my name was brought up for the first time) your name was brought up way before mine. There are a lot of players who won't even ever be considered as GM material, so the staff must not think you're so terrible.

Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Turny For GM '12

Post by The Returner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Mitchy Mitch Mitcherson,

With all due respect, mate, you have this bad habit of postulating. Martin does not like me. Martin probably won't ever like me. And if he or I said otherwise, it would be a balls-out lie. Wouldn't it Martin?

My name was brought up, a very long time ago, by other people. I can't imagine one of them being Martin, or most, if not all, current staff members.

I am sorry if I am mistaken in this assumption, however....If any staff member does support the Turny for GM campaign (Edit: And is willing to overlook past forum transgressions....), please contact my campaign office, and perhaps we can work out a deal.

Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:17 am

Post by Aegohl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:56 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I didn't suggest that martin would want to make out with you. I suggested that he wouldn't get in the way of you developing scripts. I, in fact, know that martin has let other people he doesn't like develop scripts in the past. =)

Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!

Post by Elijah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:36 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

When a man applies for a job, he doesn't apply because there is a billboard outside saying, "Hiring now for an open position." Anyone with sense applies because he knows the scope of the job, the focus, the direction, and what his job will most likely entail. I don't help the VBU because A) making NPCs for a game world I know nothing about is ridiculous B) making NPCs in high quantities seems pointless and I personally don't want to add to the number of useless NPCs that blabber the same crap every ten minutes. You guys really think, I mean really think, that NPCs are going to be a defining factor of the immersion of the Illarion world?

Background is achieved through believable storyline, through well written and descriptive RP, through player interaction. It's not achieved through similar, hollow "RP messages", and an army of poorly constructed NPCs that no one could care less about.

Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Turny For GM '12

Post by The Returner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:44 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I would happily help restore the moonsilver lore, the chronicle which is all mucked up, and the wiki, which I apparently was supposed to help with and forgot about entirely O_o

Developer
Posts: 12213
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:45 am

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I'd like to comment on a misunderstanding: Writing NPCs is not the only way how you can help this game. In fact, if you take a look here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=35958 and also here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=34370 oh and here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=33843 ah and here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=34132 you'll find out that there are many ways.

If you think that writing NPC does not help the game - that's totally OK! You don't have to do this, but you can do this. A quest where you explore a dark dungeon, finding the book of uber evilness, killing countless monsters and finally defeating the big bad guy, only to find out that... (no spoiler here ;-)) never hurts, am I not right? Or how comes that every successful(!) fantasy multi player online roleplaying game features such quests!?

Immersion is a very important keyword. What makes a game "alive", what makes you indentify with the world? Lore perhaps? Good! Where is the lore in Illarion...? Oh, on http://www.sungold.co.nz/web/things/illa/us_lore.html? I guess you got the point - lore and other things that shape the world have to be present in the game. NPCs are one option, books another, your idea here!

I'm also in favour of anything that improves the sandbox feeling people have while playing Illarion. However, what martin tried to point out (in his own, unique way :-P) was: Technical developments such as scripts can support such things, but this is a difficult task. So, any idea, conception, suggestion etc. is welcome! In other words: If you say doing A won't help to achieve goal 1, this does not mean that not doing A will achieve goal 1! Instead, B has to be done. "What is B?" is the question.

Of course, you might say "events by GMs" are the answer. We have plenty GMs and I remember that there were many persons who tried to be GM in the past, providing exactly this "randomness" but failed for whatever reason. So, we (as in: guys who care for the development of this game not just in terms of code and graphics but also ingame stuff) made up some rather sophisticated conceptions how to improve the situation. We want to provide structures that prevent the commonly observed failing of GMs. Those conceptions take a while to realise but I guess the result will be pretty cool.

So, do not think that the VBU is just about fancy graphics, NPC quests and new items. We actually try to improve the game on all fronts. If you want to help on one front - you are welcome! If you think that improving the game on another front won't help much - you're still welcome to improve the game where you think it is needed!

Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Post by Qeewee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

On the part of unique one time quests, why not split the GMs job into another new part like with the CMs?

Like.. QMs, quest managers with the GM tools to make quests but not the kick and ban tools and all that, and with GM supervision so that they don't abuse the tools?

Some people don't want to become GMs because of the other duties, or they can't fulfill all the requirements (age, no record of rule breaks, etc) and find regular quests without GM tools too boring and don't want to ask GMs for their help or can't get any GM who has the time, maybe a new position like ''QM'' could bring more unique quests into the game?

Just an idea, of course open for changes and might just be me thinking stupid. :roll:

Developer
Posts: 12213
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Thanks for the input! The role and duties of GMs will change significantly with the release of the VBU.

Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Post by Qeewee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Speaking of that, when IS it released? :3

Community Manager
Posts: 4188
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:03 am
Location: A field of dandelions

Post by Achae Eanstray » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

There is no check for "I help" , but I wish to post in order hopefully to encourage others. I have played this free game and got a lot of hours enjoyment from it for a few years, Achae is my join date by the way. By far no expert but can do a little 2D graphics so I decided to give something back to the game using what skill I have. I don't think anyone is telling someone they HAVE to do one thing in particular...there are so many areas that could use help even writing in game books. Not one person shapes the direction of the game, yet there is a possibility your input will be invaluable. Give it a try?

PO Achae or Dandelion to some :wink:

Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Post by Qeewee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Is there any guide on how to do graphics? :o

Developer
Posts: 12213
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Qeewee wrote:Is there any guide on how to do graphics? :o
http://illarion.org/development/us_graphics.php
Qeewee wrote:Speaking of that, when IS it released? :3
This question can be answered very precisely: When the new client is done. This will take another while, so there is still time left to contribute!

Developer
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Post by Drakon Gerwulf » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I do hope what I am seeing is just someones sad joke.

You could give a shit about the Dev team and all those helping to make the game better?

REALLY?


If that is how you all feel then I am sure the Dev's will stop and not waste their time....I see nothing wrong with the game as it is Skilling and all so it Don't bother me any... But I know the Dev team is busting it ass off to make it better for Everyone.

Want to Flame me for stepping up and speaking for the DEV team then be my guess.... I just feel sorry for the ones that choose the Give a shit vote maybe you need to find a new place to play and leave us to enjoy the game in peace.

Think long and hard at the hours that are being put in to it by the people who do care about it.

That is my two Silvers...like or don't.

PO Drakon

Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:56 pm
Location: The TARDIS.

Post by Irania » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

To 'give a shit' means to care.

Developer
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Post by Drakon Gerwulf » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

No it means they don't care... that is what I mean.

Seeing how many people don't care about the VBU or helping is what is sad..

If you don't want to help that is fine pick the " I just want to play one.."

Don't come on here voting for I don't give a shit then that means you don't care about the game...or people trying to make it better.

Edited
"If I am Wrong the Staff can remove my post but that is what I get out of it and it upsets me to see if I am right. "

Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:34 pm
Location: Places.

Post by Leon Demelii » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Drakon Gerwulf wrote:No it means they don't care... that is what I mean.

Seeing how many people don't care about the VBU or helping is what is sad..

If you don't want to help that is fine pick the " I just want to play one.."

Don't come on here voting for I don't give a shit then that means you don't care about the game...or people trying to make it better.

Edited
"If I am Wrong the Staff can remove my post but that is what I get out of it and it upsets me to see if I am right. "

False my friend. It means they do care :)


I also wish there was one more choice : I would help, but I'm not sure if I am qualified to.

Developer
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Post by Drakon Gerwulf » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

See my last post
Last edited by Drakon Gerwulf on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Developer
Posts: 12213
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:14 pm
Location: Sir Postalot

Post by Estralis Seborian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

Irania wrote:To 'give a shit' means to care.
Sorry everyone :oops:! The poll option got rephrased to "I don't give a shit!". I apologise - you can redistribute your votes anytime.

Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 am
Location: In the sewers, eating pizza

Post by Rafael » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Why don't YOU help to develop the VBU?

I answered other, for clear reasons.
I had been aganist the VBU since it started, since the moment every single Illa resource went to its development instead of caring about the player comunnity. Since it started, the players are more scarse and worst rped, and everything points out that the VBU will aggraviate more the community than helping it. The dev community has showen a lack of maturity in all aspects of it, from starting flame wars at the begining of any critic to them to even closing the suggestion thread. The fact that there is not even considered that the POs might be aganist the current working of the staff in this poll options (when I know maaaaany POs that think like me) just point how obtuse they had been in this aspect.

That is my 2 cents, don't even try to start a flame war with me cause I will not reply back in this thread, though I do will answer critical PMs if they are mature enough.

Return to “General / Allgemeines (Player Forum)”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.