Battlemage

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

themonk

Battlemage

Post by themonk »

Whats the point in having the option to choose a battlemage class only to be handycapped in fighting and still unable to use magic?! Thats baffling to me
Damien

Re: Battlemage

Post by Damien »

These are no real classes, just starter packages of skills, attributes and/or equipment.
Taking them means that your char is possibly able to do a bit of both at the expense of not being to good at either.
New characters start without runes, which need to be learned ingame from other players. Since Illarion is getting close to finishing a huge step in development, stuff like magic teaching and the availability of runes will change in the nearer future.
So all in all, the problem you mentioned should be solved in a matter of some time.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Thanks , ive managed to become a decent fighter but has taken me ages to learn as i have twice as hard to train due to low stats, to be told i was unable to learn magic kind of kicked me while i was down.. glad things are looking up now tho
Damien

Post by Damien »

You might have a small advantage. With some mage-needed intelligence, i've heard, learning might go easier as if when that attribute would be low.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

And with other mage attributes, you may find your fighter more resistant to magic.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Its always been hard to find a proper balance between attributes, to make the famed mage-warrior. This is mostly due to a few factors. As most new players don't have anything to spell out exactly how every attribute effects them, it becomes difficult for them to understand where to place their points. Its not a play type that has ever been supported by the illarion system, even though it was placed in the archetypes long ago. Hopefully such mixed characters will still be playable after the VBU, which may be a better time to try making such a character as the attributes are due to be simplified and possibly better explained.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Agreed to be honest i was that confused with the joining process even just trying to get the game to work at all with all the downloading etc. infact due to all that went off i dont even remember adding any points just choosing the class. If i did cock it up its unfair because i love my character and gurk has many friends now so ill just have to make do
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

A good many people have remade their character for that very reason. You'd lose all your items and skills, and you'd have to re-#i to people, but you can keep the character and fix any mistakes you're not happy with.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

themonk wrote:Agreed to be honest i was that confused with the joining process even just trying to get the game to work at all with all the downloading etc. infact due to all that went off i dont even remember adding any points just choosing the class. If i did cock it up its unfair because i love my character and gurk has many friends now so ill just have to make do
Some people have changed their chars for the stats, that being the most important to them yet some keep their chars as is and "make do" also. I actually enjoyed the experimenting to see exactly what my char could and couldn't do. As long as you have fun in the game, that is the most important.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

@threadstarter: Could you explain what you mean by "to be told i was unable to learn magic"?

Last time I checked, you need an attribute sum of ESS+INT+WIL=33 to learn basic runes. The battlemage package provides a sum of 39 (for humans). So you can learn runes perfectly, maybe not all runes, but sufficient runes to learn basic magic. To learn advances magic, well, you should chose the package of a mage... with all consequences.
themonk

Post by themonk »

I was told ingame gurk was unable to learn any magic with his stats by certain characters. But now i realise gurk can learn magic and fight also, its just a battlemage has a very long path to take , but rewarding .

:mrgreen:
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

You'll get everything you need. The only thing stopping you learning runes will be yours + teachers skill levels. Train your char appropriately and choose a talented teacher to get more runes.

Matt