Character Profiles

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

HolyKnight

Character Profiles

Post by HolyKnight »

I know there was some other topic about this but I want to address the community in general.

I think the other topic discussed changing the 1-10 ranking system with a simple like button. I like that idea personally, but if you want to maintain the ring system perhaps a certain amount of likes can eventually get you to the golden crown. Instead of this harsh averaging system which will never allow you to keep the coveted crown.

I've been reading the online profiles for several months now and it is just discouraging to me to continue to see well thought out, creative, profiles stuck at a mediocre 6. Come on guys stop being so harsh on your fellow players. Don't just scale that meter to 1 if the profile doesn't have a picture. Look at the entire body of work and give people a little leeway. Come on giving someone kudos isn't that hard.
Djironnyma

Re: Character Profiles

Post by Djironnyma »

The Hompake and the Charprofile voting system wil be changed as soon as a dev which can do this has the time for it (sometimes after the VBU).
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

There are two profiles in particular that I saw, one above the other, and both ranked at 5. One was probably a page of MS Word worth of text with a description, story, and picture. The other was roughly three lines of text, which was only the story. No description and no picture. Both had more than 15 votes.

This confused me to no end. I understand that quality>quantity, but the second profile was rather badly written. The first was, at least, grammatically correct. Can anyone tell me how this happens? O.o
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

That is very good news to hear it will change! I have seen some very well thought out profiles and excellent story-lines with low votes...others like Alli said, simply a quick sentence with higher votes. IMO anyone makes an effort to write a description and story deserves a high vote. I read all of them including translating those I can't read and some make me want to see that char they are so well written.

To point out the inconsistency, there are a few profiles with 0-1, hardly any with 8 or above which is a little sad. I like the "like" or "don't like" system however feel that once a vote is cast, it shouldn't be changed to prevent the "even" out voters.

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=691
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=5f7be844

Probably the best character profile I've seen here. Definitely top three.

I've got no idea what people are expecting from the PO in order to bump this up to a 10/10.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Grokk wrote:http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=5f7be844

Probably the best character profile I've seen here. Definitely top three.

I've got no idea what people are expecting from the PO in order to bump this up to a 10/10.
Blooming love that Char.
Great profile overall.

But on topic relatedness.
I don't consider the back story when I rate a profile, sure it would be nice. But people don't give their life stories away to total strangers they aren't even talking too.
If you do, you run the chance of people acting like they know, when you've never met.
Kinda kills the atmosphere for myself personally, obviously I'm in the minority in that regards.
But if you have a diamond description, hell I'm not even too bothered about the picture, you'll get a ten from me any day.

And when I say 'diamond' I don't mean:
"#me beh pretty wibe great curbs and beauty beyond compare"

We're playing mortals, no matter how much the lassie Chars fancy themselves Gods.
And that goes for the guys too:
"#me meh beh big and strong wibe load ob strong fuats!"
:lol:
Rooney

Post by Rooney »

Thanks for the compliment you two. Really the credit should go to Quinasa for creating her character Sicily. It was her story that inspired me to create Rupert. Also, she came up with the name. ;-) Honestly, it was a group effort to set the foundation for the character, I just filled it in with details.

As far as the topic goes I can see what po will is saying about the background story playing second fiddle to the character description. To me that is the most important thing as well. I love reading other people's profiles and getting a good visual on what their character looks like and may act like.

One of the character profiles I think people should really rank highly is this one:

http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=6384c0d0

To me it well thought out and I hope he makes a big impact on the game
Po Will

Re:

Post by Po Will »

Rooney wrote:Thanks for the compliment you two. Really the credit should go to Quinasa for creating her character Sicily. It was her story that inspired me to create Rupert. Also, she came up with the name. ;-) Honestly, it was a group effort to set the foundation for the character, I just filled it in with details.

As far as the topic goes I can see what po will is saying about the background story playing second fiddle to the character description. To me that is the most important thing as well. I love reading other people's profiles and getting a good visual on what their character looks like and may act like.

One of the character profiles I think people should really rank highly is this one:

http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=6384c0d0

To me it well thought out and I hope he makes a big impact on the game
Ahh, a great example of what I can usually pass, considering I did it with my own char Heh.
If you detail your Chars happens on the island, how they responded and how they thought the impact and all that good stuff, I'd say that's a far better read. It'll give the new player a chance to understand what to expect, and maybe.. just maybe, people will keep their profile up to date :lol:
And Shush, be a man and take another persons credit! :lol:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Djironnyma wrote:The Hompake and the Charprofile voting system wil be changed as soon as a dev which can do this has the time for it (sometimes after the VBU).
I can't confirm this statement. Currently there are no plans what so ever to change the character profiles.

Nitram
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

at least vil said so :D
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Maybe I can rephrase:

The homepage (and maybe even the charprofile voting system) will be changed as soon as a (new) dev who can do this has the time for it. See: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=34886

While I see no use nor benefit in replacing the ring voting system with a primitive "Me like dat!" thingy, I see the point of people voting extremely negative upon e.g. watching a profile without german translation. But this won't change with a thumb up/down system. Thus, the effort/benefit ratio of the suggested change is... nil?

Anyway, the homepage is a huge construction site and as long as there are pages like this around, I doubt it is reasonable that any developer even spends a minute on reworking a working system:

http://illarion.org/general/us_faq_technic.php
http://illarion.org/illarion/creatures/us_bck_30.php
http://illarion.org/illarion/background ... erwars.php
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Ah, the good old days when the rotworms looked like broken condoms with sharp teeth and the demons looked as though they were made of play-do.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Aegohl wrote:
Ah, the good old days when the rotworms looked like broken condoms with sharp teeth and the demons looked as though they were made of play-do.
The rots still look like that. So let the good old days continue, eh? ;)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

My new character got a 10 with the crown and all after one vote, now when i checked before i logged out 8 with 10 votes or something, i try to make unique characters when i make one.. but, they all tend to come out a bit...damaged.. i don't vote on character profiles often, unless i have talked to the character in question. AND i rate based on the amount of emotes or roleplaying, wich i notice is dwindling.... emoting body language and facial expressions helps a little with understanding your characters behaviour.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Treva, Olaf? :P
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:My new character got a 10 with the crown and all after one vote, now when i checked before i logged out 8 with 10 votes or something, i try to make unique characters when i make one.. but, they all tend to come out a bit...damaged.. i don't vote on character profiles often, unless i have talked to the character in question. AND i rate based on the amount of emotes or roleplaying, wich i notice is dwindling.... emoting body language and facial expressions helps a little with understanding your characters behaviour.
Feel free to RP with me. ^_^
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Po Will wrote:Treva, Olaf? :P

yes, quite.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Alli Zelos wrote:
Olaf Tingvatn wrote:My new character got a 10 with the crown and all after one vote, now when i checked before i logged out 8 with 10 votes or something, i try to make unique characters when i make one.. but, they all tend to come out a bit...damaged.. i don't vote on character profiles often, unless i have talked to the character in question. AND i rate based on the amount of emotes or roleplaying, wich i notice is dwindling.... emoting body language and facial expressions helps a little with understanding your characters behaviour.
Feel free to RP with me. ^_^
i shalt seek thou out! but, it also depends on if you are in america, germany or england..when are you online and whe'aa?
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

American. ^_^ Online anytime, really, but usually late my time. (Central Time) :/ Generally can be found wherever people are gathered, meaning TB. :P
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As the original topic seems to have been discussed, am going to close this one out. PM me if have something further to say.
Achae