Logs

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

HolyKnight

Logs

Post by HolyKnight »

How many characters till it starts overwriting?
Djironnyma

Re: Logs

Post by Djironnyma »

AFAIK it overwrites never
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Don't say anything Lama. Does it if you are using a Mac?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

If you're using a mac you have a chance of it exploding when it has to many logs.

But eitherway, I doubt there's really a limit to the amount of stuff you can ram into a txt file exept the limit that your file system places on it, no idea what that is on a mac, but that'll surely be above 4GB.

If you have a log that big you should seriously consider rehab.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Kevin Lightdot wrote: If you have a log that big you should seriously consider rehab.
:oops:
Irania

Post by Irania »

Alli Zelos wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote: If you have a log that big you should seriously consider rehab.
= :oops: too ....mine is too big to even open anymore.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

The whole too big to open thing is more like notepad being a bitch, I had that once long ago with a 1mb txt file.

You could try opening it in word or look on the internets for another program.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Irania wrote:
Alli Zelos wrote:
:oops: x3 Mine for Tak is...way bigger than 6 gigs...
Flux

Post by Flux »

Irania wrote:
Alli Zelos wrote:
Mine's nearly 100mb and it opens fine given long enough, and pretty much instantly in notepad2.

@Aldan: Noone wants to hear your fake claims around here. You do realise that 6 gigabytes of text is around 130 million lines? You just make yourself sound foolish.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Flux wrote: @Aldan: Noone wants to hear your fake claims around here. You do realise that 6 gigabytes of text is around 130 million lines? You just make yourself sound foolish.
Crap, looking that over I do look foolish, I actualy miscalculated there, I'm not all that computer literate. -_- :oops: x10
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The client that will be released with the VBU will create a new logfile every month. That will resolve the problems at opening the logfiles with the default editor of some operating systems.

How ever good editors are still able to open that files. Notepad++ is a free example for windows of such a editor able to open very large text files. For Linux gEdit or Kate do the job. No clue about MacOS X.

Nitram
Skamato

Post by Skamato »

Hi!

For Mac try Kod or Editra....
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

Nitram wrote:The client that will be released with the VBU will create a new logfile every month. That will resolve the problems at opening the logfiles with the default editor of some operating systems.

How ever good editors are still able to open that files. Notepad++ is a free example for windows of such a editor able to open very large text files. For Linux gEdit or Kate do the job. No clue about MacOS X.

Nitram
:shock: When it gives a new log file will it also save the old one for you?
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm sure he just means that instead of having one log, you'll have a ton of logs each with 1 months' of stuff. There's no reason why it shouldn't keep the old ones as well you know ;)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't suppose it is possible if at this time, the emotes i.e. "begins to pick herbs, fell in a mud puddle and dropped that herb" or whatever it is :wink: would NOT be written to the log file thereby saving a lot of writing space? That would allow more room and instead of lots of little monthly ones could make them longer possibly as much as 6 months to a year.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

With the new client the current chat log will be called chat.log and all older ones will be named chat.log.YYYY-MM.log where YYYY is replaced with the year the log was written in (e.g. 2011) and MM is replaced by the month that is covered by the logfile.

So everything remains saved, but searching and reading the logs will be easier.

On filtering the logcontents:
Its not planned, everything is written in. The amount of data created by chat logfiles is that insignificant compared to the sizes of current storage devices, that there is no use what so ever in reducing the amount of data logged. And everything that is not logged, is not logged. Means the data is gone. Filtering the chat for viewing is possible at all times too, with a appropiate application.

Nitram
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Would it require a lot of effort to add the informs and whisper informs to the chat log as well? AFAIK, those aren't logged atm. After the VBU, we'll use informs on a much broader base (quest progress etc) which might imply that informs become valuable information for the player.

Also, we try to get rid of "auto emote spam" which renders Achae's request obsolete :-).
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

That would only require removing the filter that excludes the informs from the logfile. Its not much of a issue.