VBU Teaser Video

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Retlak

Re: VBU Teaser Video

Post by Retlak »

I hope we just use the mouse, that allows so much flexibility.

Matt
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

stay on topic. (that means praise me and the trailer and the vbu)

handling of the new client isn't set yet.
Copper Dragon

Post by Copper Dragon »

Rincewind wrote:stay on topic. (that means praise me and the trailer and the vbu)

handling of the new client isn't set yet.
Just asking. Great job Rincewind! I can hardly wait for the VBU!!!!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Copper Dragon wrote: I can hardly wait for the VBU!!!!
Well you (plural) can make it happen faster and better if you volunteer to help illarion out.

We're always in need of programmers, book writers, graphics artists and NPC makers.

So apply today.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

HolyKnight wrote:lol the characters ig on the day the VBU is released is going to be ridiculous. Can the server handle it?
There are many improvements at the server software as well. I hope after the VBU the server is able to handle a lot more players at once.
Alexander Knight wrote:Question. Would we have to use the mouse to move or could we still use the arrow buttons?
There will be alternative methods to move.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You know, instead of locking a thread, the mods should just write "Want to help out with the VBU?"

It has the same effect, the entire thread suddenly goes quiet, and nobody dares speak.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Looks great folks :)
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

I have to say, I had some mild doubt in the back of my mind, but this is bloodly brilliant. Reminds me of my runescape days... *cough*
Wish I had the patiance of knowhow to lend a hand, I really do. Wonderful effort guys. xD
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

AWESOME. That's what I have to say. I can't wait for the release :D
martin

Post by martin »

The thing is: We worked for more than a year now on this VBU. Now, I do not find enough time to work on the graphics since several months and the effect is that there is NOTHING happening on that front any longer.
This means that the VBU could not be released unless we find people *willing* to help and being able and willing to learn. We do not expect anyone to be a master in what he does for Illarion, as we were complete newbies in these things as well. I for myself started with graphics when I first came in touch with Illarion, so whoever says that he or she doesn't have the know how should realize that we didn't have the know how as well. We learned it all by working with and for Illarion!

So, to make it short: We really, really need (for example) people being willing to contribute to the graphics for Illarion, otherwise our whole work will be fruitless and the VBU won't ever happen. Please help! This is urgent!

Martin
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Atm working on books/NPC/Maps but if push comes to shove I will be willing to try grapics though to be honest It's finding time which is hard. I work long hours and when I do get chance I'm busy with other things.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

What exactly is involved in making graphics? I'm willing to try, if I can.
Skamato

Post by Skamato »

Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

My holidays are coming up soon, so I will do my best to contribute. I haven't been around for a while, but I'd be happy to maybe write a few books or even advertising art, etc.?

EDIT.
I forgot to mention: HOLY CRAP THAT LOOKS AWESOME. Ahem. That is all.
martin

Post by martin »

Concerning graphics, everyone who has time at their hands and is willing to learn and has a certain graphical "thinking" (maybe you can paint a little or you're a hobby photographer) and maybe some 3d-imagination can learn to help and produce decent results within several days.
I'd like to put together a motivated "newbie-graphics" team. You'll always be able to contact me and ask questions and contact eachother and help eachother.
I'll show you a lot of things (including good tutorials and examples).

If you're interested, contact me via PM, additionally also via ICQ (16569587) or msn (martinp@reflex.at).

Martin
Felicia Saral

Post by Felicia Saral »

Though i like it, it reminds me of Divine Divinity now!
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Hmm, this is a little off topic, but that's actually part of the point I'm trying to make here.

It seems that there is no one-stop consolidated source of information for everything related to the VBU. Considering how much you seem to want to recruit devlopers, I think ease of finding information is very important. Right now there are half a dozen different threads about one particular aspect of the VBU, such as NPC scripts (the newest template is not even on the first post) and some others that are not stickied and buried in the forum, while some source code is on the main page.The specific contact persons are also unclear or change. Instead I think there should be one single main post or page that covers everything, or at least provides all the appropriate links and contacts, and gets updated as needed. It makes it much easier for a potentially interested developer to notice everything and get all the needed information.

I think information about the VBU is not transparent enough for potential new developers. For example, there isn't even an official statement of what VBU stands for. It's not really clear what the VBU is really all about, or specifically what's the direction or progress of it, especially if you don't follow the forums closely. I think right now the potential recruits are limited to hardcore members of the game/community, most of which would probably spend their time playing the game anyways. Although you likely want persons who are more familiar with Illarion already, I think that the new client will be so different that most of the work needed to be done is independent of knowing the current state of Illarion or its in-game world anyways? If so then your recruitment campaign needs to take more of an outsider's persepctive and have some more info and clarity to attract them.

Regarding contributing to some specific tasks, someone else mentioned this before too, but it's difficult to contribute scripts, NPCs, quests, maps, and things like that, no matter how easy the tools are, without having any idea of the context within everything else that it will appear it. It is difficult to find motivation to create a small piece of work without knowing how it will fit into the rest of the bigger picture. While I understand the desire to keep some aspects secret and not expose too much to potential developers who may or may not end up contributing, I think it's more difficult to find willing new developers that way. For graphics, there's less of a spoiler issue, so I think there should be a specific list of needed objects, and examples/parameters(is graphics section on main page updated?) so that interested people can just get started on their own. Most importantly, like I mentioned above, all this information and more should be gathered into one easily noticable, readable and accessable spot.

This also leaves me with a final question: Is there a test server right now with enough functionality between characters and map objects, and maybe items/spells, for a potential scripter/mapper to learn the physics of how these things can or can't interact with each other?
martin

Post by martin »

Hi Dyluck,

nice to read that you're thinking about all of that so much! Thanks for your input, you're rather right about all the points you make, the problem is that there's nothing like a "management" in Illarion development (which is maybe, or even probably, a big mistake!), but we simply don't have enough people to do that (interested in helping? ;) ) and an aweful lot to do. Maybe we should invest some time in compiling something more appealing.
Dyluck wrote:This also leaves me with a final question: Is there a test server right now with enough functionality between characters and map objects, and maybe items/spells, for a potential scripter/mapper to learn the physics of how these things can or can't interact with each other?
There is actually. At all times, there's a testserver up and running where we test anything, starting from new item graphics, new monsters, new scripts to things like the current state of the client and what not.

Eventually we should think about making it accessible to everyone for testing purposes?

Martin
Rogas Krad

Post by Rogas Krad »

I want to help out with the VBU, I have a lot of free time and most is spent playing illa. I could help with making graphics or maps (provided you still need them) if someone had the patience to teach me how to use mapeditor and maya.

If no one has, I would stick to making npcs and books.
martin

Post by martin »

Hi!

First of all: Do you have any experience in any of these fields? (You don't need to have it, it's just to find out where you could help most)

In case that you decide on doing graphics: Why Maya?

Martin
Rogas Krad

Post by Rogas Krad »

I have used map editors in the past for other games, and I have close to no experience in graphics, of course I downloaded Blender and tried it out, but I wasn't really that succesfull in learning how to use it.
Also, I think maya was recommended in making graphics for illa...right?
martin

Post by martin »

Rogas Krad wrote:I have used map editors in the past for other games, and I have close to no experience in graphics, of course I downloaded Blender and tried it out, but I wasn't really that succesfull in learning how to use it.
Also, I think maya was recommended in making graphics for illa...right?
Oh, I see that the FAQ states that.
To be honest, 3ds max (which is available as a fully functional test version for 30 days of totally free for students) is a better choice.
However, I don't think that you could help too much with graphics being a total newbie on that area.

Would you like to learn scripting maybe? Simple NPCs and alike?

Martin
Rogas Krad

Post by Rogas Krad »

Sure, anything to get the VBU here faster. :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

There's always something to do...

If you want to get your feet wet in 'programming' which is very simple - then you could try scripting NPCs using a very simple language (seriously simple) - no previous experience necessary ;)

If you are creative enough with writing stories but don't want to try programming because it scares you ( :P ) you could always write IG books. Other characters will be able to read them IG.

If you need any help don't hesitate to ask - which of those interest you the most?
Rogas Krad

Post by Rogas Krad »

I will try out both of these.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Great ;)

If you need any pointers, help or some simple and basic NPC tutorials to get used to the language just ask me. Send me a PM if you like. Writing books shouldn't have a problem once you get used to the xml - which shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.
Celastrus

Post by Celastrus »

@martin

Sende mir mal bitte ne To-do-Liste für die Bereiche Graphics + Maps via PM oder Email.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

When can we play!? Like... how's it going? I only pop in from time to time, but I haven't forgotten about Illa.
Kale Drake

Post by Kale Drake »

i was wondering when the VBU happens will it be a complete character wipe? will we have to recreate our characters and start from zero?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

There is no technical reason for a charwipe, so there won't be one. However, keep in mind that the VBU will affect all aspects of the game and will bring changes to core features of the game (skill system, crafting, fighting,...).