Looking for a new board style - suggestions welcome!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Vilarion
Developer

Looking for a new board style - suggestions welcome!

Post by Vilarion »

Hi everyone!

Soon we will update the forums to phpbb 3.3. Since the old board style is no longer compatible, we are looking for a new one.
If you want to make a suggestion, please have a look at the phpbb style database. The suggested style needs to have the 3.3.0 tag.

Have fun,
Vilarion
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Re: Looking for a new board style - suggestions welcome!

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... y/demo/3.2

Would like to suggest this one. The details say that it is compatible and it's the closest to what we had before (and does not look like a WoW-design)
Caswir

Post by Caswir »

Last edited by Caswir on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yridia Anar

Post by Yridia Anar »

Slightly
Gamemaster

Post by Slightly »

Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I would suggest something darker or grayish (less glare on the eyes) and not white at all... like Caswir's theme but Yridia's looks so fancy and more fantasy oriented also, also the color is not glaring.

I have a dark background/light text add-on I can use on my firefox if I have to save my eyes, but prefer not because it doesn't always work.

Avoiding glaring white on any would be my choice. Thanks for asking!

PS The one Slightly/Kat posted is fine by me also.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

The X Creamy one Kat posted is perhaps the best of the bunch as far as options go. It's legible, will probably go decent with the illa logo and it's similar to the last one.

The one Yridia is alright but seems to blend too much into itself. Meaning that some people with sight issues will have legibility problems.

Something on the darker side, like Caswir posted, is ok but maybe a bit dull. I get that some might want to go with a dark/night theme forum but imo it doesn't really mesh with the homepage and all it's good for is a cure for insomnia. I generally like dark themes on websites but that's mostly stuff like youtube and twitter where they insist on having a god-awful white background that burns my retinas out.

Overall, Kat's theme is easy on the eyes and blends with the homepage, is calm on the eyes and better than any of the others. Most other themes on that website are pretty dire.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'll throw in one more forum style. Out of the box, it looks a bit weird but I found it very "adjustment friendly".

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... n/demo/3.2
unknown.png
unknown.png (198.4 KiB) Viewed 27031 times
Of course, the blue and grey area needs some adjustment but the modification above took two lines changed in the style (so 5 seconds of work).
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

I really like this one @Estralis Hopefully it is also available in 3.3 and the blue / grey sector can be changed in something more like the creamy style.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

I don't really care about the fashion of the forums in detail. But the current version is readable much better than before. I mean the contrast of letters to background. On the different boards I can identify new and edited topics easier than before.
Readability and clarity should have priority.

~~~~~~~

Das Design des Forums ist mir im Detail nicht wirklich wichtig. Aber die jetzige Version scheint mit lesbarer. Der Kontrast von Schrift zum Hintergrund ist größer. Das fällt mir besonders auf den Boards auf. Neue bzw. geänderte Topics kann ich nun schneller und besser erkennen als zuvor. Lesbarkeit und Übersichtlichkeit sollten Vorrang haben, egal welches Design.
Yridia Anar

Post by Yridia Anar »

The link will not allow me to look at the style.
thx for changing :)