Alchemy economy (Gem dust prices, etc)

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

H.Banestone

Alchemy economy (Gem dust prices, etc)

Post by H.Banestone »

Please make gem dust craftable through gem cutting as a residue, or cost less than 50 coppers.
It's rediculous how much time, money, and effort it takes to make a potion, especially with the rare un-sickle-able herbs, only to find out that nobody can afford or is willing to pay over 1.5 silvers per potion.

A mage would spend less time eating and regenerating their mana, and a warrior would spend less time regenerating hp and finding new weapons, than it would be worth spending money on a mana, healing, or polish potion.

The only decent use of polish is on high end weapons, like magical swords, but polish does not take to them well. Why, then, bother polish normal weapons at all, when it's a lot easier and cheaper to smith new ones?

Druids gotta make money somehow. Gem dust prices are running alchemy trade into dead end.

My analysis is based on the fact that my character is currently an alchemist and a blacksmith. So, I have two routes to maintain my weapon: by polish or by crafting. It seems that the alchemy route is extremely much more convoluted and inefficient when it comes to keeping a blade up in good shape.
First you gotta find the herbs, some of them only grow in certain seasons, then buy rediculously pricy dust, find/buy/make a bottle, make the potion, make sure the herbs are all excellent quality, and then pray to Gods that the potion will take to the weapon.

Crafting route: buy 2 ingots, make 1 handle, make new sword.

Imbalance? Please fix.

Suggestions:
1. Make all herbs available for gathering via sickle.
2. Make dust craftable and/or cheaper.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Alchemy economy (Gem dust prices, etc)

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Will be done -> VBU.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

H.Banestone wrote: It's rediculous how much time, money, and effort it takes to make a potion, especially with the rare un-sickle-able herbs, only to find out that nobody can afford or is willing to pay over 1.5 silvers per potion...
So you seem to do something wrong <.<' For me I can say that I've never sold a single potion for less than 4.5 Silver. Most of my potions I sell for 5 to 10 silver and they're being bought everytime I want to sell them. There was even sold a very rare and special potion for over 100 silvers!!! So I don't see why druids shouldn't be able to make monney with the current system.
Even though I'm happy to see that gemdust will be made cheaper or craftable, so newcomers to alchemy won't have any trouble to start.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Which herbs cant be found with a sickle?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Fooser wrote:Which herbs cant be found with a sickle?

Honestly, Fooser, FOIG ;) :P
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I'm an alch newb :(

Edit: the ones you can see and pick up off the ground?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

It is not necessary that you got told. Believe me...in you daily praxis you will soon relazie what herbs are rare and which not...believe me... <.<'
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Fooser wrote:I'm an alch newb :(

Edit: the ones you can see and pick up off the ground?
Yes
pygmycougar

Post by pygmycougar »

If you look around the site or somewhere on the web can't remember exactly where there is a very exstensive wiki on the herbs. What you can extract from them, there locations you find them at. and even there growing season it is just a a matter of looking for them.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Look in the druid book it tells you.
And if noone wants to buy potions for 1.5 silver you must be doing something wrong. I reached my first gold coin with my druid 2 weeks in.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Sell poison for 20 silver a bottle! *has done that successfully*