On the potential fields of improvement - game mechanics notes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Brightrim
Developer

On the potential fields of improvement - game mechanics notes

Post by Brightrim »

While the notes that were most heavily voted on will be addressed at a later stage, I saw some other notes that did not make the cut that I could help answer or clarify a bit.
Address the limitations that stop us from being able to add new graphics/items to the game
Due to a lack of documentation combined with our devs coming and going over the years, we've ended up being stuck quite a bit on client side things like adding new graphics.

Currently we're still stuck on adding new paperdolling, the items shown on your character in the game, to the game. Though even if we did figure it out, we lack the graphical artists.

The good news is that I've figured out how to add item graphics (Could be anything that is not paperdolling. Trees, walls, gemstones, leather bags, coal, ore veins.) and new items to the game, along with doing the updates required to actually make them a part of the client. So if you are a graphic artist, or know one that would help, the opportunity is there to add new graphics to the game. Of course they will need to fit in with the theme of the game.
A way to write books IG, like with parchments?
This is actually already on the dev server for testing! To keep up with features like this that are being pushed, you can watch the discord #testing channel, the discord #github channel or even the various github projects https://github.com/Illarion-eV/Illarion ... pe=classic to get an overview of what is being worked on.

It won't be possible to add these books to the bookshelves, as due to both legal reasons and quality assurance reasons any such official books need to be vetted, which can be quite an arduous process. The interface used to read the books will also be slightly different from the official ones, due to technical limitations. You will however be able to craft books, write on parchments and put those into the book as pages, and then spread these books around to other characters at your leisure. Of course the contents of these books, just as with parchments, still has to follow the game rules about portrayal of content.
Remove running and add more teleporters
While I won't comment on the running part, I do feel it worthwhile to add that magic(as it currently is on the magic test server, anything about it is prone to change before it reaches live. Said changes can be because of your feedback too, if you test it :wink: ) will likely see the return of portal magic. This means while there would not be more teleporters, mages will be able to create portals and portal books to various places on the map.
Gemstone re-examination
For those unaware, though it was part of the latest news update, the influence of gemstones was already re-examined and an initial attempt has been made to rebalance things by nerfing their influence in fighting. Stats, skill level and equipment now, on live, has a much higher influence compared to gems. A character with superior stats, skills and/or equipment should now be able to win over a character with superior gems. The influence % on damage/defense is also now the same, as opposed to the previous state where gemming an armour was vastly more efficient.

Of course a full remake of the fighting system is something we want to do eventually, but it is not a priority compared to other projects. For now the plan is to leave in that nerf of magic gems in fighting, let people re-experience how much magic gems really impact fighting now and then gather new feedback there.
Either remove crafts that have no impact, or give them a reason to exist
I'm not sure which craft is considered by this poster to have no impact, as they all have impact in at least RP which should be the main focus of the game anyways. However all crafts are useful in the upcoming housing system, where they will be required to build various furniture on a property.
glyphed ring rebalancing
Reviewing and reworking glyph magic is something that is planned for the future. The removal of relict glyph effects in crafting was part of this. These effects never went through a proper review process.
Food impact
Now this one is less clarification on my side, more asking for clarification from whoever posted it as it was a bit vague.
Is food impact too strong? Too weak? How should it be improved?

Was the relatively new feature of food rarities that increases the impact taken into account by the commenter?
Make crafting meaningful, be able to craft all types of items, and make crafters desirable for repairs, etc.
Now this one _did_ make the cut, but I will still make a quick comment about how making crafters desirable for repairs is already on the dev server for any one of you to test in the form of repair kits that replace the current player repair feature.
Alytys Lamar

Re: On the potential fields of improvement - game mechanics notes

Post by Alytys Lamar »

About the
Food impact
I actually wanted to write more but phone call came in between.

I am mainly concerned with the rare food.
What influence does it have? That has not become completely clear to me until now. Except that it is a huge effort for the cook.
So that it is worthwhile for the cook it should also be clearly defined
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Alytys Lamar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:57 am About the
Food impact
I actually wanted to write more but phone call came in between.

I am mainly concerned with the rare food.
What influence does it have? That has not become completely clear to me until now. Except that it is a huge effort for the cook.
So that it is worthwhile for the cook it should also be clearly defined

Code: Select all

{english = "uncommon", german = "außergewöhnlich gut", identifier = 2,
   foodDescription = {
        english = "An uncommonly well made dish. Sure to be more filling than its common counterparts.",
        german = "Ein außergewöhnlich gut gelungenes Gericht. Ein wahrer Schmauß, der besser sättigt als ein normales Gericht."}},
    {english = "rare", german = "exzellent", identifier = 3,
    foodDescription = {
        english = "A dish so well-made it's a rarity among dishes. Not only more filling than its lesser counterparts, but also somewhat beneficial to the longevity and strength of the boons of your good diet.",
        german = "Ein wahres Schlemmergericht. Wohlbekömmlich und eine kleine Wohltat für die Länge und Auswirkung deiner guten Ernährung."}},
    {english = "unique", german = "einzigartig gut", identifier = 4,
    foodDescription = {
        english = "A dish made by such refined culinary arts, you might even say it's unique. Not only more filling than its lesser counterparts, but also very beneficial to both the longevity and strength of the boons of your good diet.",
        german = "Eine kulinarisches Köstlichkeit, die ihres Gleichen sucht. Äußerst wohlbekömmlich und eine wahre Wohltat für die Länge und Auswirkung deiner guten Ernährung."}}}
Above is an excerpt of the crafting code, the bit that has the descriptions of the food rarities. Could you detail which part is not clearly enough defined and how you think it could be improved?

uncommon = more food filled
rare = even more food filled, bigger stat increase, longer duration for stat increase
unique = even bigger increase to all the above

Also on the "effort" part, they are supposed to be _rare_, hence why it's called rare food. Common food should still be the norm. The intent was to give cooks a boni for using magic gems, high quality tools and most of all give dexterity an impact. There used to be no difference between someone with 3 dex and someone with 20 dex when it came to cooking, which is not exactly ideal when you compare it to the influence of dex on other crafts. Yet food itself could not be given quality without resulting in 9 different stacks for each food. Rarity instead results in 4 different stacks, which is not as bad in comparison.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Thank you for the detailed clarification.

I agree that *rare* for sure must be rare.

My next question would be if an old character with little DEX will even be able to produce such a thing?
The trainer is very, very expensive - and if it rarely occurs anyway, the change is certainly not worth it.
And if the thing with the GEM's is revised aren't then also the effects for tools with Gems at risk?
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Alytys Lamar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm My next question would be if an old character with little DEX will even be able to produce such a thing?
The odds are lower the lower your dex, but there is always a chance. Higher dex means a higher chance. Max dex will be able to relatively consistently produce at least uncommon food, while lowest dex will be lucky to even achieve it once in a blue moon but the possibility is there. So a character dedicated to being a crafter will be able to pride themselves on producing superior wares more frequently.
Alytys Lamar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm And if the thing with the GEM's is revised aren't then also the effects for tools with Gems at risk?
The only thing that was changed was magic gems impact for fighting, which is what has been considered broken.
Magic gems for crafting/gathering is considered to be in a balanced state, so that remains the same as ever.
If magic gems change for crafting at a later stage though, the calculations will of course be remade to account for that.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Alytys Lamar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm The trainer is very, very expensive - and if it rarely occurs anyway, the change is certainly not worth it.
To change attributes permanently about trainers is expensive. But it is a good long-time goal to work and to do other things to gather coins, to pay the trainer about time.

In other hand, don't forget, that we also have food and potions to push attributes for a short while. In combination you can increase your attributes about 6 points for a short while. That is a lot in my opinion.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Thx for the two answers to my questions.
Does make it clear I never was into crafting - I suppose :D
In other hand, don't forget, that we also have food and potions to push attributes for a short while. In combination you can increase your attributes about 6 points for a short while. That is a lot in my opinion.
You can't forget what you didn't knew - certainly not about the 6 points I mean.