So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderators: Gamemasters, Community Managers

Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!

Post by Elijah » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:32 am

So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Hey Illarion regular,

Just wanted to inform you that my name is Justin in real life and that I have a regular day job just like you, I pay bills, and most of all, I tend to be a somewhat nice guy. But wait, how could this be? You say this isn't true because I surely play a evil tyrant IG bent on world domination who tries to jail your characters (because they are against him) and intend to sit up an evil empire IG that, and I'm quoting directly from a recent RP post, mirrors fascist ideas? Oh geez. That sounds real vicious and evil doesn't it!

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm rping a character and that I, Justin (the regular hardworking American with a day job and sadly, no wife :( ) isn't a evil tyrant who is secretly co-worting with Julian Assange as we speak to hijack the CIA's headquarters and leak all kinds of valuable information on the world's top leaders, which in turn will leave me as the only suitable person to declare myself King of the World! Oh and, no, I'm not trying to pwn, pk, jail, rape, murder, or impose my fascist ideas (I believe in a democratic government with some socialistic leanings, such as governmental job placement, health care, and free education.. but I'm not a fascist.. and as far as I know, Elijah isn't either) on any of your characters from a OOC point. Elijah is described as a tyrant and fascist pig IG after all, so if you go against him (as all have done), it's the normal RP option to go back at them. Every action has a equal and opposite reaction as they say in the scientist books (Yes, I went to college too.. just not for fascism or evil leadership school.)

So now that you know a little more about me (and that I'm not an evil tyrant bent on the destruction of Illarion, and more importantly declaring myself King of the World) maybe I won't get bombarded with OOC flame through different avenues next time my tyrannical characters does something through RP. Basically what I'm saying is, RP with me. Don't immediately jump to bashing me OOCly. I don't think anyone who has came to me OOCly and went, "Elijah.. wtf man, you tyrannical mutant.. can you ease up," Has been met with saying "Hahahaha.. no, for this is my first step for world domination!"

Thanks,
Justin
None tyrannical man

Posts: 905
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:05 am
Location: Switzerland

Post by Korwin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:40 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Totally expected you to be British.

Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am

Post by Juliana D'cheyne » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:57 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

The RP ig is always interesting and fun. Once you take it oocly however it becomes totally "unfun" and honestly something I prefer as a PO to avoid.... playing Illarion for fun and enjoyment only like most PO's here. :wink: IMO there is a definite line between ig and oocly. *waves to Justin the nontyrant*

Posts: 807
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by Karl » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:29 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Justin,

You're stirring things up in-game.

I congratulate you. Illarion is boring and you might just be on your way to making things interesting again. One thing though; don't over do it. Let others have a little victory sometimes too if you're causing such a big scale stir. You have the power to either make it very fun or very unfun for everyone involved, use that wisely. When you get approached OOCly, it's really simple; ignore it. If you think someone's being unfair, don't make a thread about it, tell a staff member and they'll deal with it accordingly.

Don't fret too much about it, keep roleplaying, try not to rustle anyone's jimmies while you're at it and have fun.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:42 pm

Post by Lrmy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

People will always complain about something your character does to you OOCly. Sadly, this is normally because they don't separate themselves from their characters ENOUGH. Which is hard to do in the first place if you've played a character for a while. Honestly, you play the leader of Troll's Bane better than most people have. Governor's tend to be a comedian or the people's rights activist to often. The fat cat collecting taxes and looking down on average folk is more realistic and better for the atmosphere in my opinion. Just remember there are a lot of people that quietly commend how you play and that the few flames you get are silly at best.

Posts: 7685
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: The VBU is awesome

Post by Llama » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Elijah.. wtf man, you tyrannical mutant.. can you ease up?

Glad to see someone is stirring up something IG...

Posts: 1615
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by Matron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

I agree with the Llama.

Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Post by nathi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

I like this kind of rp, even if my char is not as involved 8)

PO Deanna

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

The only game is the metagame.

Welcome to the thankless world of playing one of Illarion's 'Villains'.

Posts: 3221
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:34 pm
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: Berlin

Post by Djironnyma » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Nalzaxx wrote:Welcome to the thankless world of playing one of Illarion's 'Villains'.
it isnt really better if you play a (successfully) good guy.

When ever a char have success in any case there will be enviers. you have two options, play a mean char or live with enviers.

Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:57 am
Location: Behind you

Post by Darkshade » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:25 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Hello Justin, i've rp'd with your character Elijah quite a few times with my chars, and quite frankly i have not noticed any evil in you at all.. and i enjoy rp'ing with you. Ignor those basterds flaming you, your awsome.

Nuff said.

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Djironnyma wrote: it isnt really better if you play a (successfully) good guy.

When ever a char have success in any case there will be enviers. you have two options, play a mean char or live with enviers.
Yes, I suppose this is also true.

Posts: 4725
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:25 pm

Post by Fooser » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

This is just an Orwellian disinformation campaign

You don't fool me.

Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:42 pm

Post by Lrmy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Fooser wrote: You don't fool me.
Coming from the fish king of the island?

Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:32 am
Location: The Future

Post by Dyluck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Djironnyma wrote:
Nalzaxx wrote:Welcome to the thankless world of playing one of Illarion's 'Villains'.
it isnt really better if you play a (successfully) good guy.

When ever a char have success in any case there will be enviers. you have two options, play a mean char or live with enviers.
Or you can play a role viewed as a hero by some AND a villian by some, and still get all the problems and thanklessness, otherwise known as a "politician"!

Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Post by Cascarrabias » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

You can't be a tyrant with out toadies..

On that note, who do you have in mind and can I be one... Arch Duke or some such title would be a nice addition too.

zda

User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:49 am
Location: up in a tree nere you

Post by zda » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

every one should just leave him alone dont take it personal. its just a game. what happens there just let it stay there dont take it ooc.
the character can be evil and the player of that char is just playing the way he wants the char played.
and the opinion of the char should not be the same of the po's because that's bringing ooc stuff ig if te char would not normally not act that way
twords the char.
just my two cents

Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 am
Location: AR4Q

Post by The great one » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:12 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Get a grip. Seriously mate. I am just speaking my mind, if I get banned for dissing you then whatever but you gotta reap what you so. It's a freaking game get a grip, my only problem is that you try to introduce a christian holiday into Illarion which I find offensive tbh and totally fucks with my experience. I feel like shit too sometimes but whatever, get over it.

But PO Elijah you are a good player and noone wants you to leave, people need ambition in this game like you. The amount of hours you spent trying to create interesting roleplay is commendable, dont beat yourself up! The only thing I can really say here is keep going, go with the flow and don't change just because pressure tells you you must - there are five character slots!

Look on the bright side - noone has demanded an election!

Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am
Location: In a cave some where. Now wipe yor feet.

Post by Copper Dragon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Cascarrabias wrote:You can't be a tyrant with out toadies..

On that note, who do you have in mind and can I be one... Arch Duke or some such title would be a nice addition too.
Get in line. There are a few ahead of you. (shoves you to the back of the line)
As for PO shandra, I like your style elijah. You do have supporters, hidden but there. The intrige in trolls bane is always fun but can get a bit overwhelming. But then there are the woods and a few mobs to take our frustrations out on. And for the OOC and the flames, (new york accent)forget about it.

Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 am

Post by Amira Ranevskaya » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:13 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

The great one wrote:Look on the bright side - noone has demanded an election!
People have. Then they got arrested for treason.

You may not be a tyrant, but you need to ease up ig. A lot of people have quit the game because of the high stress and lack of fun created by the recent Trolls Bane government. Sure no one has said anything, they all just up and left instead.

Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:23 am
Location: Canada

Post by Ezor Edwickton » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:19 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Amira Ranevskaya wrote: You may not be a tyrant, but you need to ease up ig. A lot of people have quit the game because of the high stress and lack of fun created by the recent Trolls Bane government. Sure no one has said anything, they all just up and left instead.
People who quit because of someone rping a 'bad/evil' char should lighten up a bit. I remember back in the day there used to constantly be wars between different player created factions. It made thing real interesting even if you weren't directly involved. Conflict makes for good story telling.


I don't see much point in getting mad at someone OOC for the way they are rping. I haven't rped with Elijah much so I can't really judge if it's been good or bad, and frankly it dosen't really matter. I can recall several times when other peoples rp has been just plain bad, (i recall a one legged fighter) but I never got mad and sent any angry pms. Just let it go. Complaining about it and getting stressed or trying to avoid players does a lot more to break the flow of the game then someones poor rp.

Some times crap happens to you chars. Just go with it. Play long enough and you'll likely find that things rarely go as you have planned. You'll find that you can have just as much fun if not more with these situation if you just look at it differently.

Posts: 489
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 am

Post by Grokk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:32 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Amira Ranevskaya wrote:People have. Then they got arrested for treason.

You may not be a tyrant, but you need to ease up ig. A lot of people have quit the game because of the high stress and lack of fun created by the recent Trolls Bane government. Sure no one has said anything, they all just up and left instead.
What a load of bollocks.

Since when have we been allowed to tell people how they should or shouldn't play their characters? Especially one that plays his part so well and consistently. If the current government of Troll's Bane is causing you high levels of stress and ruining your fun, you seriously need to take a look at your life, gaming habits, and mental state. Because that is messed up. It is also ridiculous to suggest that people have quit because of the current government. There are more than enough settlements on Gobaith, both with and without governments in place. Wouldn't they just move to one of those places?

I don't understand why when some people start speaking about characters in positions of power, they all of a sudden bring PO responsibility into the equation. As though it becomes the PO's job to make the game interesting and fun for the POs of characters in lower positions. I am fairly certain that more players have been driven away from this game by shit commoner characters with the mental capacity and humour level of an eight year old child, whose POs are unable or refuse to use anything resembling correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar, than those who have quit because of the actions of the current government. Even if I am wrong, I'd wager that the players lost because of the current government would be far less beneficial to the game than those by the others.

There has been nothing done IG about Elijah the tyrant. People continue to press the idea that the best way to make him change is by taking OOC action. The amount of shit that Elijah has done to his people is jaw dropping. And nothing is done about it IG. Why hasn't there been a revolution? Why isn't there a group of rebels, tearing power from Elijah's tight grasp? PO Elijah has worked so hard to build up this brilliant roleplay opportunity, but no one has done a thing. It is a two-way street. If people want fun, they actually have to put some effort in and organise it. I remember the rebellion against Prince Anarius. The roleplay involved with that rebellion was very fun and interesting, I would imagine for everyone involved. Prince Anarius didn't have shit on Elijah. The worst Prince Anarius did once he took control was hide away in the Seahorse. And yet he had a large portion of the town prepared to take up arms against him. It just blows my mind that no one has actually taken some serious action.

And I'm sure I'll hear all this talk about how "we can't rebel, he'll just lock us up!" Suggestion: don't play retarded characters. If you walk around the streets of Troll's Bane, talking to every Tom, Dick, and Harry about how you are going to overthrow the governor, what is PO Elijah supposed to do? Have his character completely ignore it all? Suddenly start playing his character completely differently so that everything works out for you? If your characters rebel, PO Elijah is going to have Elijah respond as Elijah would. With an iron fist. If Elijah knows or suspects that your character is a threat to his position, chances are he is going to do something about your character. Before things got ridiculous, this would have involved the prison. Now, I've got no idea. I don't see how people have failed to understand this fact about him, and continually try to peg it on the PO. A smart idea for your characters would be to leave Troll's Bane, find a place to hide, and formulate a sensible plan.

If you want some assistance, why not send a PM to PO Elijah, asking him to cooperate? I've done this with PO Elijah before, and it has worked as smoothly as with anyone else here.

Also, I guarantee that no one has ever demanded an election. And that no one has been imprisoned for suggesting that an election take place.

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

This is nothing new, people only complain and quit because they don't get their own way. So they threaten to leave (despite the fact they've usually been inactive for several months beforehand anyway) which forces the GM's to step in and admonish the recipient of their complaints because they are driving people away from the game!

People will scheme and plot and plan OOC untill the ends of the earth, and we have to accept that, whether it should happen or not.
But when rival PO's start pressuring other players directly, something is going seriously wrong and it is this that should be stopped.

Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am
Location: Cadomyr

Post by Sammy Goldlieb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Guys, calm down. It is right, it is a game. a role playinggame. As for that, PO Elijah has to play like a governour, known of old days, not like a shiny, easy going guy. He must be strict in what he does. There is a law of Trolls Bane, that says what you are allowed to and not. Maybe you should read it again and let act your chars like it says if you want to avoid 'stress' and less 'fun'.
If you want to play like a rebel, you have to consider punishments for your actions.

That was my cent.

P.S.: I like that char.

Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Post by Po Will » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:11 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

From an IC point of view, the gov is getting what every gov's got since the war.
From an OOC point of view, absolutely no hard feelings towards the other players behind their chars.
Hell, that's the one reason I think Illarion can stand out within the rpg communities, we don't have huge personal vendettas against each others, and even if some do they keep it quiet and don't let it spoil the game for others.


Keep up the good work IG and keep the chin up :P

Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Post by Arvemor » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 am

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

Incidentally...who *does* whinge OOC? Or is this that point where someone jumps in about anonymity and saving face..? :P

Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Post by Po Will » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

yeah, enough whining and get it all out front. If you can't settle face to face (figuratively XD) shush and don't complain. The game is made fun by working together, not against each other :P

Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Straya.

Post by Morbius » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Re: So.. I guess I'm a medieval tyrant!

To sum things up, i think Elijah, both the PO and the charecter are doing a damn fine job, and I regret that I myself can't get in on the awesome rp opertunities he has created due to those damn pesky time differances. If your charecters done like Elijah? Do something about it in game, i personally think a rebellion would do wonders from a rp perspective. Flamers, quit your flaming, ask PO Elijah what he thinks about this rebellion idea that seems to keep coming up? Figure something out damn it! you're not children who's only way to solve problems is to bicker with little Jimmy for spoiling your fun in the sand-pit. Use your minds people, sort your heads out, sort your charecters out, and come to a conclusion that's fun for yourselves instead of playing the poor little child in the sand-box. So please, just use your minds people, it is the greatest gift of man kind after all.

Return to “General / Allgemeines (Player Forum)”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.