Explaining the "downtime" thread..

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aegohl

Explaining the "downtime" thread..

Post by Aegohl »

The Downtime thread is often abused or at least used incorrectly and I can understand why. It's been a long time since I started the thread and I believe I had a topic in General that explained it back then. Most of you weren't around for the events that started the thread.

This is the situation. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

There was a ruler ingame named Eristeaus who ruled an upstart kingdom named Marshikar. The player of Eristeaus, we'll say his name is Darrek, had a very busy personal life and often couldn't keep up with the average Illarion player who is much younger and has less obligations, and so he couldn't always be around to rule his kingdom, have meetings, answer questions, and other things that rulers must do.

Players reacted in a way that was natural but ultimately unfair: they improvised. At first it was "I'll make sure that Eristeaus gets your message, but he's been so busy lately" but when that excuse started to wear "Eristeaus couldn't show up to this meeting, I fear. He's come down with a terrible illness" and eventually "Eristeaus has been nowhere to be found of late! Between you and me, we're talking about launching a coup for Marshikar!"

How was that unfair? Well, people were playing Eristeaus' character for him, so he no longer got to make decisions about his character, and even worse, he would have to improvise and play along with what other people decided his character has been up to, and sometimes those things were contradictory!

People often forget this is a game and they expect more out of people than what they can give and the stress started to build, and games shouldn't be stressful. So I invented the Downtime thread.

You see, downtime is a concept I took from tabletop rp: the idea that your character continues to exist between gaming sessions. Good rpers consider this and can use this in interesting ways, developing their characters in new directions by what they experience between sessions. I think in the original thread I gave the example of a down-on-his-luck detective who always has a story about some painful encounter that happened between game sessions.

That being said, your character continues to exist when you can't play them, and the downtime thread is your chance to describe in in-character rp detail what your character is doing while you're away. Now it can include a reason why your character isn't answering his mail or interacting, but it doesn't have to. If you say your character is still about town chasing ladies around, you can say that, and other players don't have a right to act as if your character is doing anything but (within reason). It's your character: you decide what they're doing and no one else has a right to say otherwise.

Have fun with it, but please don't just post an ooc note about how you're away and leave. Better yet, leave the ooc for the ooc boards.
Elijah

Re: Explaining the "downtime" thread..

Post by Elijah »

You should tell us more stories about the lore of Illarion. :)
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Isn't it a PO's responsibility to give a legitimate reason why their character isn't around if other player's characters stories and in game goals depend on them. Like a town leader being absent?

And shouldn't it be Vershikar if we're talking about Eristeaus? :lol:
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

If i remember rightly Eristeaus was played quite well by Meskher.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Hey Aegohl,

Go back to WoW you traitor.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Matron just posted a good example of this in the downtime thread I guess, made me snicker :lol:
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Pyrrho wrote:Hey Aegohl,

Go back to WoW you traitor.
Sounds like a plan. Yoink!
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I can't imagine Aeghol playing World of Warcraft...
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

I had to start over from scratch when I started again recently because my account got hacked a while back, but here are my characters as proof:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... uls/simple

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... %bc/simple

We also had to restart the guild from square one, so again, not too impressive, but the Rotten Apple Corps is here:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/azgal ... er=m%c3%bc
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Lrmy wrote:Isn't it a PO's responsibility to give a legitimate reason why their character isn't around if other player's characters stories and in game goals depend on them. Like a town leader being absent?
Mm, Yes. But isn't that what the Downtime thread is for? To do that very thing. =)

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Didn't notice the question until my second scanning.
Elijah wrote:You should tell us more stories about the lore of Illarion.
Contrary to what it says over there, I'm not a gamemaster anymore. I don't really have the time. I only try to be helpful when I can and maybe do a bit of nudging for the good of Illarion. Sometimes people listen to me, maybe because I have good ideas, maybe because they are confused and still think I'm a GM, or maybe for other reasons (maybe they don't listen at all), but I should mention that anything I say is only tenuously linked to the staff (and then only because I was one before and have some semblance of what the goals and opinions of the staff tend to be, but I could always be wrong even then).

Besides, I only know what I played through and there are still some people around here and there who have been around just as long or even longer. If you want lore as in background story and about the gods and what not, I'm not really your guy. You'll want to tackle Damien if you get a chance, but he's a busy guy too.