Pssst...interested in the VBU?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Pssst...interested in the VBU?

Post by Llama »

Fellow Illarionites,

As you know, we need everyone's help if we want to finish the VBU so you can all play it. Unfortunately there are not enough people working on it, and too much work to do. So this is another call for help. If you can help in any way, we would love to have you on the team. You do not need to be an expert in programming, nor do you need to know any programming at all in order to help out. All you need is some dedication, creativity, and the ability to work in a team.

So do some work for the game you love - come help out. We need:

- Client Developers - (Java)
- Script Writers - (Lua)
- Mappers - (Our own GUI interface for making maps)
- NPC Writers - (Using the simple NPC language)
- Book writers - (Just creativity needed here) Link
- Graphics People - (Need to be good enough with 3D software and whatever to make models)

As a gift to you all, we will show part of the surprise we have been working on - a screenshot may be found below :)

If we get some more helpers - we might even be tempted to release more screenshots in the near future... or a video perhaps?

Image? Click here :)

The more help we get, the faster you get to play :)

Regards

Illarion VBU team
Last edited by Llama on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Interested parties please use this:

PM Estralis

Thanks.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

This doesn't mean we won't have the text at the bottom does it?

And can we move on diagonals now!? :D
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

For mapping, what kind of tasks are needed? Is there a need for mapping the general wildnerness, or a need for a specified list of locations waiting to be mapped, or is there a need for creating new ideas for locations/dungeons?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Ezor Edwickton wrote:This doesn't mean we won't have the text at the bottom does it?
This is an early preview. The chat journal is not implemented yet. But yes, the current static box that fills 1/3 of your screen won't make it to the PostVBU state. Most probably, a dynamic box that can be moved around will replace it. But again: This is a preview!
And can we move on diagonals now!? :D
Yes. Well, not NOW but after the very big update.
Dyluck wrote:For mapping, what kind of tasks are needed?
If you are interested in helping out with mapping, please contact GM Zot: http://illarion.org/community/forums/pr ... st&u=10814

I'm pretty sure he has concrete tasks, dungeons are always needed (nothing big!) and I guess the one or the other mine can use a redesign.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Nomnomnom...screenshots. Is the Frankenstein an orc?:lol: Looks genuinely fantastic though, guys. I'll get onto some writing, and uni holidays are soon, so I'll be able to...do something...anything. Geez, I've been real inactive lately. We'll let Perry try his hand at some rhymes again!
Llama

Post by Llama »

With all the hype going on and on, I'm amazed at how few replies I got to this thread. Overwhelmed? Underwhelmed? Disappointed?

Feedback?
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

I am particularly excited, and also surprised at the lack of response also. What's going on, people?
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

They are in shock :shock:
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

wolfsword wrote:I am in shock. :shock:
Edit: To stay on-topic, though;

I can help with the books. I'm writing a few to be put IG anyway, mostly Sam's interest (His cookbook, + knock-off version of LotR.)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

My god. Just saw the little black outfit on the counter. I shall make a thief *just* for that outfit.
=D
Oh, also just wanted to know if there are any changes to established norms that we should think about/take into consideration. For example, the lack of gnomes and goblins.
Copper Dragon

books

Post by Copper Dragon »

Working on a few ideas for books my self. Looking into the gods to flesh them out a bit. Maybe a book of runes to be tucked away in the acadamy?

copper dragon
Asyur

Post by Asyur »

It looks pretty excellent so far - but will be actually be able to see our characters sit down in chairs? Or on logs? ... Or see a sword swing from our avatar's body that is connected to our avatar's hands?
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Yes, there will be fighting, casting, etc, animations ;)
Damien

Post by Damien »

I really like the display of wares on the tables, the different graphics, the rotated/randomized tiling of the stone tiles... now that really looks like a market !
Of course it still looks a little 2D pixel-ish, so it starts to remind one a lot of UO, but i don't know if adding normal maps to the stone ground tiles and tiny billboarded grass bushes to the gras ones would be an improvement or rather the opposite.

But seeing this screenshot, i start thinking two things:
1. WANT. TO. PLAY !
2. Want a fast enough internet connection !
:D
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

The text should also possibly read:
"Thomas Dalenus. And don't call me Tom, or I'll stick my needle in your eye."

Heh, was bugging me.
martin

Post by martin »

Damien wrote:nternet connection !
Yeah, the new graphics will require a connection that is about 100-200 times faster than before.
That's really a pitty for all you slow people.

Martin
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

martin wrote:
Yeah, the new graphics will require a connection that is about 100-200 times faster than before.

Martin

Well..... that looks like a problem then...

Any ballpark number for the speed of connection we'd need?
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

It's called sarcasm! LOL

The game will be much faster after the VBU, hence the new client :P
Graphicus

Post by Graphicus »

Kinda looks like Runescape.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

kinda like runescape yes, but better looking then runescape! me likes! as long as it doesnt turn into runescape i will be very pleased..we wont get the Varried Bullshait Undone this year, will we? :(
Asyur

Post by Asyur »

Graphicus wrote:Kinda looks like Runescape.
It does look like Runescape a little, but the game elements don't compare at all.

I mean, look at them both.

Illarion kicks Runescape's butt head over heels. :P
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

If books are needed written just give me a title and topic.... unless you want something totally made up from the history aspect :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

I dunno how you guys think that looks like rune scape... Rune scape doesn't look anything like that. I'd place it as more of an Ultima online look, but even then it still has the illa feel.
Netsirk

Post by Netsirk »

Oh...my bad...opps...I thought this was another spam thread with the VBU as a title xD
Christmas is coming which means I can continue that NPC scripting I was doing....Imma need the thingy maggiger again....had to wipe my HD

much love,
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Little more colour then i would have imagined, or prefered.. but hey, i'm loving what i'm seeing! :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Morbius wrote:Little more colour then i would have imagined, or prefered.. but hey, i'm loving what i'm seeing! :wink:
Its colourful because they're dressed in colourful clothes in the middle of the day. You can always wear depressing black if you want :P

We've got more screenshots where that came from - lets see how much content we get from the community by giving them screenies ;)

Ps- One of the screenies contains a glimpse at one of the animations talked about earlier...
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

You can always wear depressing black if you want
haha, i intend to my good sir!

Also, looking forward to some more screen shots :o
Damien

Post by Damien »

martin wrote:

Martin
Explanation. My internet connection cannot handle illarion at the moment, since it is slow and we share it with three machines. Therefore i hope they get this LTE stuff built up around here before the new client comes out... most likely wishful thinking. :P
Belessar

Post by Belessar »

Hey, guys! Congratulations! It looks it'll really improve.
I'd suggest something about the appearance of the chars. Elves, for example, look all the same, no matter one is wearing an armor, the other a robe and another one is nude.
Would it be possible to make them look a bit like what they're wearing? I dont think it would be necessary to be exactly the same we're wearing... Armors could look all the same, but at least something we could see they're wearing an armor. Or robes or whatever.
As for helping, I'm not a programmer, but I've mastered many pen and paper rpg, creating maps (in paper, of course) and quests, so let me know if I could be useful.
Illa forever!