New Guild: Anyone Interested?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Grokk

New Guild: Anyone Interested?

Post by Grokk »

"Know this: a Light endures, even at the very heart of darkness."
This thread is just to gauge interest in a new guild I am considering forming. Tentatively named 'The Order of the Cleansing Flame' (strongly influenced by the Shadowbane guild of a similar name), the guild will be a militant organisation striving to purge the wicked. There will be a heavy religious element, and I suspect that its members will eventually come to be regarded as evil religious fanatics by the general public.

A brief overview:

• “The servants of the Flame believe that Bragon has turned from Illarion because of the wave of sin which has swept across it. The Order of the Cleansing Flame fights an eternal war against evil, chaos, the three ‘fallen’ Gods, the undead, the corrupt, Moshran’s three servants, heretics, and abominations. Once the wicked, corrupt, and impure have been purged and the world purified by the Fire, Bragon will return and reward those faithful. ”

I'm hoping that this guild can reintroduce some religion to the game, spark some action, create some quality roleplay, and act as a foundation for a few quests in the future.

I would like to start it off with a small group of capable roleplayers, and then go on from there. If there isn't enough interest, then I probably won't bother. The first to get involved will be the ones who get to help shape the guild, and get first choices at the initial IG positions available. While I am working on some content, nothing is set in stone yet, and I will certainly listen to those who wish to offer suggestions.

There will be an obvious need for priests, paladins, knights, inquisitors, etc., but I am fairly certain we could fit almost any sort of character in. If you are interested, would to join with a character, have suggestions/questions, or would like more information, hit me up via PM (either this account or 'The Cleansing Flame') or MSN (below). Don't bother contacting me if you can't/won't use a reasonable level of spelling, punctuation, capitals, and grammar IG. This whole project will require OOC cooperation between POs of opposing characters, so don't waste our time if you're going to have a "me vs. them" philosophy.

Also, I've got several ideas for quests and conflicts involving the guild already, and am more than happy to hear from anyone or any guild looking for some interaction somewhere down the line.
"There is no place for the fearful and hesitant. Only through firm action and resolute faith will we succeed. No sacrifice is too great. And no treachery too small."
Seori

Post by Seori »

It's a highly motivating idea! I hope more players rally to bring this epic-scale sort of roleplay to life. Shadowbane really has some thrilling faction concepts doesn't it?
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Absolutely. Some of the best lore I've ever encountered in a game. Such a shame it went to waste.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well the Lizards had tried something like this in the past - since it worked very much into their background.

Here is what happens:

1. The guild will have some awesome roleplay inside it
2. You will discover that if you pick on 'heretics' - they will complain to you in OOC.
3. You can do absolutely nothing against the 'bad people' - you can't PK or threaten them to leave town, because of #2 - you can't embargo them because nobody cares - you CAN ignore them, but that does nothing at all.

In short, its a beautiful and brilliant idea - but its not going to work because of the way things are set up.
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

Man, I love the idea,
but it makes me sad that the Llama busted it.

Still, you have my support-we need better RP concerning the deities of Illarion.
I tried to have my main character religious..but it was a bit of a flop since no one cares or even says 'May the Five bless you' anymore.
*sighs* Good luck, fellow RPer.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

*puts up hand* T'would be awesome! Count me in fer stuff!
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Ignore Llame :P

I don't expect it to be an issue. The religious side of the guild will be just as significant as the military side. I'm far more interested in roleplaying with the 'bad guys' than PKing them. Redemption and all that. PKing anyone will be quite low down on the 'things-to-do list'. If worse comes to worst, then I have faith in the GMs to properly do their jobs and prevent such a situation from happening.

Even if Hadrian's right, I'd be perfectly fine with just #1. Some awesome roleplay with a few decent roleplayers would be a shitload better than almost anything I'm finding IG these days. If we want some outside interaction, then we would just contact OOC the players and guilds known to actually play this game properly, and organise something....by cooperating :wink:
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:2. You will discover that if you pick on 'heretics' - they will complain to you in OOC.
Why should anyone care about OOC complaining? It's best to ignore such unsporting behavior (I never "complained" when my character nearly got killed as a heretic).
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The Order of the ... Flame, huh?

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25398

:-P

A very interesting and appealing conception, Grokk. I'd be interested to join if I didn't work for the very big update. I have some advices; guilds work best if they pursuit a common goal than can only be achieved together. Religion is something very powerful if used the right way; just take a look at RL. Bashing other characters might get lame in the long run. The cited guild above was a GM driven quest guild and I can say that, as long as the quest lasted and there was a goal and somebody who took care, it worked fine.

Sadly, players can't really come up with interesting goals other than "I want to build a hut". Guilds like the Grey Rose didn't last so long because of some stupid castle but because they had a vision that determined their goals for years. So, an overall vision of how your guild wants to shape the whole ingame world is the best goal you can have. And you need endurance. Organise meetings that matter. Organise quests, opposition, benefits. Ask the GMs for goodies ;-).

On the "players will complain OOC"-part, well, I know this happens. But I also know that most complaints resulted in absolutely no consequences because we have (meanwhile) very clear rules what is allowed and what isn't. So, don't bother, us GMs do not appreciate daisy picking characters that die from lameness while staring at their depot. Action is fine! Just keep in mind that a guild somehow has to fit into the existing world, like, you have to deal with existing political structures. Founding a village somewhere in the middle of nowhere (or a temple at the outermost edge of nowhere, *nudges Hadrian*) does not help at all. Isolation does not help, it hurts. Interaction is important, if people want to avoid interaction, they can play Minesweeper, but not Illarion. So, jump right into the middle of Varshikar, Troll's Bane or whatever community suits your guild and consider your guild a part of the world, not something exclusive that hides deep inside a mountain or beyond the seven hills.

Best of luck! I hope you can gather some skilled players, for I think Illarion currently lacks interesting guilds!
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Estralis Seborian wrote:The Order of the ... Flame, huh?

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25398
LOL! Ah well, was just a working title anyhow.
Estralis Seborian wrote:Best of luck! I hope you can gather some skilled players, for I think Illarion currently lacks interesting guilds!
I agree! And thanks for the advice and support.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Oh snap... count me in :twisted:
High Inquisitor Kar'armak, Magistrate of Trolls Bane, paladin of Bràgon :P
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

I might be in.. Altrix was an acolyte of the order of the flame, way back when.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I actually wanted to start something like that myself once when I was still active-ish :D
Estelwen

Post by Estelwen »

Llama face = little bit of a killjoy

Id be up for it but Estelwen is currently a criminal, and isnt over religious, maybe you could turn her

Dont purge her, shes very friendly? :D
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

stop copy us u n00bs :P

to be serious, you will fail if you make the founding and organisation ooc go ig and just do it
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Djironnyma wrote:stop copy us u n00bs :P

to be serious, you will fail if you make the founding and organisation ooc go ig and just do it
Nah, all it does is speed things up a bit at the start.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You probably should make the guild non-flamethrower. I mean what does Bragon care about stuff like that? Just go all the way.

Best of luck with the guild, if I wasn't up to my neck in work I would probably join.

With all the interest you're getting, someone should really start a 'puppy sacrificing guild' so you people can fight it over.
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

Kar'armak sounds good for /that/ guild. ;) Much love, mate. The opposition and political hash has been fun.
Damien

Post by Damien »

How interesting ingame fashion can be. A few years ago we had some evil temple thing that everyone wanted to continue and copy up to annoyingness, now, everyone starts copying the flame theme. We had that order of the flame, we have the bearers of fire which are very successful, okay, why not another bunch of Brágon followers *g*
...Just don't chew it through too much, or it'll become lame after a while. :wink:
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Damien wrote:... now, everyone starts copying the flame theme. We had that order of the flame, we have the bearers of fire which are very successful, okay, why not another bunch of Brágon followers *g*
The Order of the Flame was almost three years ago. And I don't think that I have seen anything other than their name and having a bunch of mages in their ranks to suggest that the Bearers of Fire are in any way associated with fire or Bragon.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

The Bearers of Fire are successful? Wait.. you said very? The only thing I know that they succeed at is sitting in a castle and doing absolutely nothing. And if you want to throw that cliche argument at me that "They do a lot you don't know about :wink:", you're talking to a deaf man.

It's a RP game for a reason. It needs things to come in and churn up the collected dust and create new opportunities. Old guilds with a bunch of secretive players are doing NOTHING for the game. Names don't make things. Titles don't give personality to people. You could call them "Corporation" for all I care. I don't think the player woke up one morning and said 'HEY I'M GOING TO RECREATE SOME GUILD I'VE NEVER RPED WITH." No. He woke up in the morning and said, "I'm going to bring something new to the game."
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

yeha nothing except growing, build things in varsh., teach newbies, teach magic, protect tv....

if we are sitting around how do you call bane? dead?
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I really have no intention into getting into a forum argument with you.

Varshikar is a mostly german abode and seeing as how I have a large majority of IRC logs to prove you intend to keep it that way, I suspect it's fairly counterproductive towards creating any substantial gains in the IG atmosphere. I respect your right to disagree however, and I'll let you fancy yourself with notions of building a dynasty in Varshikar of supreme activeness, well trained new players, an army of mages, and a wealth of beautiful infrastructure.

Then again, I believe my "complements" have derailed us from the point of this thread
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Troll's Bane is crappy, because everyone there speaks only english and they do not open up for the german speaking community. :roll:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now here is a line. You see it. Right about this line of text.
Everyone who says something like "Xyz is mean because they do not support [german/english/l33t] as language in their community!!!" receives a nice strike with the ban hammer! Delivered by me. I heard the exact same complain way too often from both sides.

Nitram
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Let's all cool off with a nice mojito, shall we?

A hostile message is difficult to understand.

Group hug?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Staying in the middle of Nitram's loooong line....Juliana has been MORE then welcomed in Varshikar, another of my chars in the past was also until RP wise, moved away. As far as the guild, Juliana looks forward to coming into conflict some day... and as a PO I love the idea of RP conflict (which I think you originally mentioned in your post though can't find the reference at present) looking forward to it!
Llama

Post by Llama »

There was the "Order of the White Flame" around 4 years ago too.

Wasn't a Bragon thing though - but what do people have about fire, seriously?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

It's been that way ever since people first heard smoke on the water :P

Though I have to say, I've never seen the bearers of fire do anything fire related, I even recall someone telling me it wasn't really related to bragon.

Also, Caelum is such a closed german community they don't accept me because I'm black... uuuh I mean Dutch.

Go go religious fanatics beating people with baby seals!
Rogan Thorgrim

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

This sounds like it could be interesting, depending on who else is involved. If the RP is good, I might be tempted to play this game again (despite how dead everything seemed a couple of weeks ago).

Folks moaning about copycat guilds need to shutup. I praise Esty for trying to breathe life into things!