Bungo Plumpstick's character profile. This made me laugh

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ezor Edwickton

Bungo Plumpstick's character profile. This made me laugh

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

This is not my character, and I don't even know whose it is, and I have never even rp'd with the char before. But if you haven't yet, go check out his profile.

...Do it now, I'll wait...

http://illarion.org/community/us_charpr ... d=7bdad692

How is it that out of 13 votes he only has a 4 out of 10?

First thing I noticed was the picture. Is that Worwick Davis from Willow? :mrgreen:

I thought, wow only 4/10, no wonder. His picture is weird and his description and story probably aren't much better.
So I read them...

Man, that made me laugh. While in his few paragraphs, he completely fails to tell you anything useful about his character. But he his successful in completely making fun of how most of you do describe your characters.
Considering himself to be one of the more aesthetically pleasing creatures upon the island, Bungo Plumpstick was not at all a rarity.
His back story was equally enjoyable.
His childhood was, by all accounts, uneventful and free of significant trouble. He was never banished from his clan, which, by the way, was not destroyed in a calamity of some description, of which Bungo would have been the sole survivor.
By the time I got to end I realized why some of you would give him such a low rating. He probably offended you with his satire.

Once I finished reading, I immediately gave him a 10 out of 10.

(Option reading) Opinion Warning!!!
The following is not made to be offensive, but some readers may find it so
Without actually knowing who the person was who made this char, I can't say for sure what his views are, but if they are what I think they are, I completely agree with him. There are WAY to many characters with notable scars, magic tattoo's, unnaturally coloured eyes, etc. There are better ways to make your character special/unique. And why does everyone have to have a dark troubling past? I'm not saying it can't be done, but I have to roll my eyes every time I come across another character dressed from head to toe in black, and has a tragic back story. It gets to seem very uncreative after a while. I don't blame new players for doing this, they wouldn't know better. And heck, I've done it myself in the past.
While, yes, back stories can help a new player springboard their rp, in a new world they haven't experienced yet. I believe that most of your 'history' should come from stuff happening in game. It doesn't take long for tragedy to befall your character in game. You don't even have to look for it most times.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

In somewhat defense of chars that have been around for awhile.. Gobaith is not an "easy" place for a character to have a nice quiet life. Most of my characters start out with just an outline of a past and a LOT of their history including scars etc...is taken from in game and their experience.

People don't vote on the profiles with just that profile sad to say. There have been other threads I believe discussing similar. People have posted they vote because.

1. Like or don't like the picture, and some have voted 0 rated just on the picture alone yet I have seen 10 posted on some profiles with only a picture and no description or story.
2. Like or don't like the roleplay of the character in game.
3. Like or don't like the PO that plays the character.
4. They think the overall vote is too high/low for that character so vote 0 or 10 to adjust it one way or another.
added.. and no offense but:
5. Because they like/don't like the "views" incorporated in the story-line.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Your interpretation of my views was spot on, Ezor. I completely agree with your opinion on the matter. There are plenty of POs who should plug their characters into the Mary Sue Litmus Test to see what walking, talking clichés they play.

And I'm pleased you were entertained by the profile. :D

The 4/10 rating is partly my own doing; I made a handful of posts on the forum to provoke people into bringing down its rating. The profile started off with a pretty high rating (the first few people 'got it', like yourself), but I figured that a lower rating would be more appropriate for the point I was trying to make with the profile. Though, subsequent ratings are entirely the result, as you point out, of offence caused by the profile.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

That was awesome. I had it rated at a seven even though I never remember reading it before. Maybe he changed it. 10 for hilarity now.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Now THAT is a great profile : it niftily avoids all the little way too worn-out oh-so-tragic background themes of people who thought that making something extra-tragic or uber-epic would cancel out the necessity of character depth.
I like it. Don't care for pictures, willow is a great movie anyway. And it is a very refreshing change from all the standard backgrounds, even if it doesn't say too much about the character and instead makes the reader giggle.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I know the PO and frankly, I think that's one of the best profiles in the game. I like how someone above tried to defend people's descriptions.

I lol'd.
Juliana D'cheyne

Elijah wrote:I know the PO and frankly, I think that's one of the best profiles in the game. I like how someone above tried to defend people's descriptions.

I lol'd.
Glad you enjoyed it, possibly time to make a story for your char...btw, was posting the description "defense" as read in a previous thread which I had never thought of before but makes sense for older chars.

@Ezor Edwickton, I agree is a very nice story-line, description and I even like the pic :wink:
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Ha! he's up to 5/10 now
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I can assure you I have a pretty extensive background for my character, which due to the relatively self contained nature of my character, I don't think it's right to share publicly. Of course, it could never compare to having two souls in one body or killing random people in your sleep. :(
Juliana D'cheyne

I would suggest if you have a problem not with the char but from your post the PO, to air it in private.. my PM is readily available. :wink:
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Learn to take a complement for your imaginative and extremely well contrived character ideas. :)
Juliana D'cheyne

Elijah wrote:Learn to take a complement for your imaginative and extremely well contrived character ideas. :)
:oops: Thank you!
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Halflings always come from normal lives.

Even Bilbo did. :P
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

That profile was hysterical and right on the money. :D
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

Sounds like the perfect candidate for the next NPC town character.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

THAT'S how a character description and story should be like xD i see TOO many "he is manleh with hundreds of tatoos and such a troubled past that even the grimmest of warriors would get wet eye syndrome" characters... well my ape orcs story was a bit like that one..minus the tatoos and such.. too many brave characters on here...brave = yellow skills ,by the way :) *un-derails himself* loved the total and utter sarcasm in his description and history, but, it makes me curious as to how that character is. lazy is all i know about him. still asomsauce.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Good on him. I like uniqueness if it's not cliched. I don't how he is as a character, but the writing is surely witty and humorous! Great work!
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Opinion warning.

I happen to think this is just plain rude.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

:P