Wow Illarion has changed

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ezor Edwickton

Wow Illarion has changed

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Any of you who where playing this game 5 to 7 years ago may remember my old chars "Ezor Edwickton" "Derek Corydon" and occasionally "Milo Hayfield".

Well, I quit cold turkey about 5 years ago when the big update happened. I just didn't have the time to spend in game much anymore. And somehow I find myself back here again after all these years. I feel like a recovered drug addict who has fallen off the wagon. There is something about this game that grabs hold of you on the inside unlike any other you'll ever play. It's the only reason this game is still around despite ancient graphics, and now, we don't even have music? Sure the old music was droning and almost annoying, but it was what Illarion sounded like, and it attached to every old Illarion memory I have!
Doesn't seem like there are a lot of the people from back then still playing. No surprise. When you get involved with this game it really starts to become consuming. Besides I believe with Illarion time, my first char should be in his 60's by now! Does Trollsbane have a retirement home?

The first major change I noticed since I last logged on is that the game is so dark now. Not figuratively, but literally dark! Maybe I'm just unlucky and only log on at night now. The light effect are cool and all, but could it not be a little lighter? And we get winter now! with snowballs! Is that not Awesome?!!

The game looks a little prettier, and the building in Trollsbane are generally in the same spot they were when I left so I didn't feel totally lost. Just felt a little like returning to your childhood neighborhood after not being there for a long time, and finding that they took away your favorite playground and put up some condo's across the street. I remember when outside Eliza's shop was 'THE' hangout of Trollsbane. You were board, and wanted to rp, that's were you went. And you'd lean against that wall until someone came by, and stuff happened. Sometimes I thought that shop would fall over if it weren't for people leaning on it. Now people hang out at the workshop it seems?

And also people 'stare' a lot. Enough to make me paranoid the first time I logged on. We used to just describe ourselves whenever we met someone or felt that it mattered.

And "Newbie Island" or whatever you call it was neat. I kinda just wanted to get on with the game, but went through the whole things because it had been such a long time. Seems the crafting system had a major face lift. Everything seems so much more complicated now. "take pincers...grab this....stand in front of that."

I realize most of you won't read this far into my post. You will just read the first line or two before loosing interest, and then a few of you will just read the first and last lines, before moving to more interesting posts. But I didn't mean for it get this long. So sorry to those of you who didn't read this far, and thanks to those of you who have. I hope to get back into the game somewhat, but there seems to hardly ever be many people online these days. I thought the game population would be much higher by now, but I guess people come and they go. I've had some good rp with some of you already, even received some 'newbie freebies' from players already, and hope to have some more good times online with the rest of you too.

See you all in-game!!!
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hey, welcome back! I would be considered one of the noobs (only been here a year), but you'll actually find the updates you've seen will be updated again, fairly soon. Date pending. Thats the Very Big Update!
It's good when old players come and play! As I said, welcome back!
Seori

Post by Seori »

Awesome to have you again Ezor! Your long experience here gives you great insight about the community, and that's certainly respectable. See you ingame soon!
Llama

Post by Llama »

I remember you. Welcome back!

Illarion will get prettier soon...

See Also: VBU.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Hello again and welcome back!
I can gladly tell you that many "old" players are not gone. They just created new characters and go by new "names". Having the insight I have as gamemaster, I'm always surprised to find out "who is who"...

Basically, Illarion didn't change that much since the char wipe. Of course, here and there, we had incremental innovations like the weather and the light effects or some aspects about game content. But. The big innovations are ahead. So, you chosed a "bad" time for rejoining; Illarion won't stay like this any longer. We're planning to release the big update this year, but honestly, there is still a lot to do. What you can expect in summary:

http://illarion.org/general/us_news.php ... 9#news_209

And, of course, awesome music:

http://illarion.org/general/us_news.php ... 8#news_208

Just be patient. All available hands work on this update, thus, there won't be any updates to the game until the update. Whoever wants to help can find informations here:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=34132

Estralis

...who enjoyed a lot playing with Ezor back then ;-)
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Sounds like Illarion is always on the brink of a new 'big' update. Hope that brings more active playing in.

Was there another char wipe??? I remember having one back probably in 05.

One thing I was pleased to see is that you guys kept the old battle music. Please don't ever git rid of it. Add more music sure, but that old music just makes me feel nostalgic.
:D
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

EZOR EDWICKTON THE ROGUE!!!!!!!!! <3 <3

Wait until PO Irania sees this.... *squee*
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

well..wellcome back..*hands him the needle* illaheroin can be a baaaaaad trip maaaaan...but, mostly it's all good :) yay, naddur old playur! wish more of them would come back and do political fights over trollsbane! i miss the Rothmans and WOLF! *siiiiighs*
Felicia Saral

Post by Felicia Saral »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Hello again and welcome back!
I can gladly tell you that many "old" players are not gone. They just created new characters and go by new "names". Having the insight I have as gamemaster, I'm always surprised to find out "who is who"...
What was the biggest surprise concerning that who is who?
Irania

Post by Irania »

I was just thinking of Ezor a few days ago. I'm psychic? Yes.

<-----Excited one.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Felicia Saral wrote:What was the biggest surprise concerning that who is who?
Hagen von Rabenfels and Fienchen.

@Ezor: We had just one charwipe, should be sufficient for the next decades. No charwipe is ahead, by the way, but we have other changes, many technical ones but also some that affect game content.

I'm always interested in things we can improve. It's not because we have nothing to do; in fact, we have 129 ongoing tasks and graphics as well as client development is not included in this... It is because we care. Illarion has too few players and basically, we know why. But we need to know what we can improve and how it should be improved. We're not aiming at big show features but especially at those little annoying things that scare off players without really knowing what scared them off.

The opinion of a senior player is of great value, especially if you have to relearn many things just like a new player :-).
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

I remember Ezor.. oh, and I thought that the biggest surprise was when we found out who Conscience was, Estralis. =)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

who are you
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Irania wrote:I was just thinking of Ezor a few days ago. I'm psychic? Yes.

<-----Excited one.
Damn! My subconscious probably picked up on that thought, and drew me back here! Or maybe it's Telekinesis or something like that.
Clydus

Post by Clydus »

Hey! I am a complete newbie( been on about 4 days ha) to the game, so my opinion doesnt really count, but welcome back anyway :)
I dont think that people play it because of graphics, Or the music, or even the gameplay! They play it because of the community, the sense of, if you have played long enough (of course i havn't, but educated guess) Then your guild, or group etc, becomes an extended family to you.

The best way i can put it is, Illarion is like a perpetual book, every page written as it happens. You go in, knowing a little, and an entire world, including family, rivalries, communities, racism and diversity, just springs up around you! You follow the story, and when the protagonist cries, you cry, when he's angry, your angry... and you decide where the story ends, and how.

I love this Illarion, and i love what it stands for. An escape from the worlds worries, after a long day of shit at school, college work etc, you come here and you become a warrior, a mage, a world renowned cook!

Hey, if after 4 days this is what i think, then i can't imagine the addiction you lot have
:wink:

Clyde, PO of Owain Curtis
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Clydus wrote: a world renowned cook!
Clyde, PO of Owain Curtis

Why, yes.

Also: get ready for the VBU- paperdolling. :D
Clydus

Post by Clydus »

Haha Yes, sam is incredibly good, and i expect to see him soon?

Wtf is paperdolling? It reminds me of those chains of people you used to make with scissors and folded paper...
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

We'll be able to see the clothing we wear (Coat, armor, dress, etc.) rather than having default pictures for race/gender.
Clydus

Post by Clydus »

:O

AWSOME!!
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Clydus wrote::O

AWSOME!!
Yep. Coming out in a few months too.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Whoah ! Welcome back, Ezor ! I myself am rarely online these days (mainly 'cause playing with a slow connection lags hell out of badger-butts !) but it's always good to see some old newbies who later became new olbies come back, so welcome to COOON ( the club of old-olbie-noobs ) :lol:
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

The only way to make Illarion popular now is to make roleplay optional.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

The only way to make Illarion popular now is to make roleplay optional.
Now, if we did that, illarion would no longer be illarion. And i'd quit for sure.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Hey Quinasa is that still your same avatar from 5 years ago? It looks familiar.

and is the char Irania still active? Ezor might have to make a surprise appearance one last time.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Yes it is. And yes she is.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

#me goes off to recreate a char that has not stepped foot on Gobiath for over 6 years.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

#me awaits with a hobbit character at a certain, non-specific inn.

This message has been brought to you by Bluemoon Inn Inc. located in the Seahorse of Troll's Bane.

On a more serious note- hope I see you IG.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

You probably already have. :wink:
Irania

Post by Irania »

OMGFORREALS?! Wowzers! Make Ezor happen. Do it. Do it.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Ezor Edwickton wrote:#me goes off to recreate a char that has not stepped foot on Gobiath for over 6 years.
I can't remember if Ezor ever married Irania. A lot has changed.