Where has the roleplay gone?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderators: Gamemasters, Community Managers

Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:28 pm
Location: Orcs ob da northern mountains

Post by Rugh'toh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:23 am

Where has the roleplay gone?

Hehyo,

well, guys, it has been quite a few months, I think more then half a year ago that I logged in to play Illarion again.
This evening I thought that it might be a good idea to log in. Sadly it turned out that it was not.

[Somone] of the town trolls bane lost a fairplay duel against my char. I RP that I put my sword against his throat. Though, then out of the sudden he drank a potion without any #mes but then started to attack meh, chased meh and did not react to any RP-attempts of my char. Finally, he clouded my char roped him and put him to jail
He did not ask for any names, nor did he give me any chance to roleplay with him. All he did was to use the engine in an egostic, non-cooperative way. He also admittted in ooc that he acted wrongly by not having reacted to my victory in the duel.

To be honest, I do not like that way of RP.

[ ...blabla... ]

EDIT: But now we all are friends again :-)

PO Rugh
Last edited by Rugh'toh on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: The cake is a li(n)e!

Post by Blay » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Where has the roleplay gone?

Rugh'toh wrote: The supposed Captain of the town trolls bane lost a fairplay duel against my char. I RP that I put my sword against his throat. Though, then out of the sudden he drank a potion without any #mes but then started to attack meh, chased meh and did not react to any RP-attempts of my char. Finally, he clouded my char roped him and put him to jail
!gm?
Rugh'toh wrote: 4 dwarven weeks as jail sentence is against jail rules anyway.
!gm? It's not allowed to flame oocly IG as well by the way.
Rugh'toh wrote: To be honest, I do not like that way of RP.
Well, I do not like people bitching on the public forums.
Rugh'toh wrote: Until then: farewell, Illarion.
bye

Seriously - there is a [Report Player] function and a !gm command IG. There is the PM function in this board.
Why is there always the need to create whine-topics when there's a problem IG?

Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by orgis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 am

Re: Where has the roleplay gone?

Rugh'toh wrote:It is complete crap.
:? Seriously. if you got a sword up against you're neck, it's fecking terrrrrrrrible to drink down a potion, then to start fighting again. Rugh had full right to "#me slits the stupid lizards throat for being a dumbass" Rp before engine :x

Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow!

Post by Elijah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:42 am

Honestly? He has a point. I love the PO of the Captain to death, and I'm not signaling him out. But I think the majority of the player base is engine orientated. For example, druids. Just because you drink a random potion IG, it doesn't make you a true druid. Or because you can PG thousands of potions and turn people into demons. A true druid understands how to dress wounds (and no not "Here, drink this potion.") or set bones.

They understand the complexities of the forest, and know how to RP accordingly (instead of stating it IG.)

Remember: It's a RP game. Not Runescape. People can lose and don't take things as hard behind the screen.

Posts: 2429
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:15 pm

Post by Athian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:46 am

If this is the whole of the situation then I agree, extremely poor use of the system here.

Rather then The RP, since it was technically possible to defeat you (probably figured he had more potions then you) without losing, he opted to win by engine rather then play it out. I partial blame the "anyone can be a potion maker" system devised in the place of the real druid system. Left potions to be vapidly abused by anyone who doesn't want to lose, Ala this very situation. You won't find many non potion making fighters with stockpiles of insta-heal in there bags.

I'm sorry you had to enter a situation where the opposing player used this as an excuse to engine kill you rather then at least attempting to be a good sport and play it out. You are correct, there is no way he should have been able to drink a potion unnoticed when a blade to his throat. He knew that and you knew that but he chose to do so anyway and it was bad RP end of story. Some players lately are just ridiculous when it comes to there character losing in any way, shape or form, and will use any method possible to keep there character from losing face or skill, even if the situation does not call for it.

Wish it wasn't a factor for making you leave again.

Hope you'll try again in the future.
Last edited by Athian on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by orgis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 am

Elijah wrote:But I think the majority of the player base is engine orientated.
One of the reasons I just gave up the whole fighting side to the game. One: most can't really Rp it properly (I can understand if this is due to time, but if you have a dual going for donkeys and some can only manage "#me whacks you hard" We is in for a problem :lol:
Elijah wrote:It's a RP game. Not Runescape
Amen.

And yeah, nothing against the PO. But seriously, not the smartest move.

Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm
Location: Stay Classy - stilvollen Aufenthalt

Post by Sirith-Rym » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 am

Oii Veii,

Yes, I screwed up like crazy. I am still quite new to this game and did react very much on instinct and on the engine. He came up to me with his sword, pointed it at me, and said "Now die." after I had been brought down to 0 health. Which, not gonna lie, freaked the shit outta me so I forgot to RP. I was not aware of whether he was a good RPer or not and would give me time to RP my side out or not, so I assumed the worst because I have seen people get ghosted without having a chance to RP it out. (Which sadly I totally did that to Rugh... >.<)

The point is, I know I made a mistake in RPing and I am not gonna try and defend myself for acting it out so crappy. I will do better next time. In the meantime, I am sure there is some way to remedy this without bringing OOC , IG?

Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am

Post by Juliana D'cheyne » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:53 am

Rugh,
You are the one almost ghosted my char Juliana until she fell off the pier into the water at the graveyard. You laughed so hard forgot to stay angry! :wink:

Don't give up, there is still good RP around and others are learning, it takes awhile.

Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: The cake is a li(n)e!

Post by Blay » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 am

We all know Sirith's behaviour was wrong, he even said that himself. No need to tell him how hard he does/doesn't suck. Let the gms handle it now. I hate seeing someone's reputation dieing because of such a topic.

Posts: 175
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: The Middle Kingdom

Post by Anon of D'Athen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am

Rugh,

Man, come back. We need the older players like you, else we'll be over-run by the*coughs*
Anyways, give it another go. Have another character? Maybe make a new one?

Posts: 2289
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: In the heart of every smiling child

Post by rakust dorenstkzul » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 am

I fully support Rugh on this.

Posts: 175
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 pm
Location: The Middle Kingdom

Post by Anon of D'Athen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 am

Can we perhaps.. perma-delete this occurrence form history?
You know.. Rugh spawns somewhere in BFE,
Sirith's post disappears.. as well as their logs.


*cough,cough*

Posts: 7685
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: The VBU is awesome

Post by Llama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 am

Its behind the sofa.

Posts: 807
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:04 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by Karl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:04 am

I pretty much lost all interest to Illarion because of this.

Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Post by Grim_banned » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:40 am

OMG Rugh is back!!!!!!! :o :o

Sorry you had your first day of Illa get your bummed out man, but it happens, and its not always because the other player was expressivly trying to get you pissed. I know PO Sirith, he's a good guy, new but a very good RP'r. I do not doubt that what happened, happened because he got overexcited or even scared like he said.

I myself did the same dumb mistake a while back, when I clouded Athian who threatened my char, just because I thought he was going to mage-attack me (which he didn't). Felt like shit afterwards and I would of gladly accepted any ban a GM might have given me :)
If we need to blame it on something, let's blame it at our fear of being clouded, which is deffinetly there, even though no one can truely explain it.

Please, do not stay upset, I am sure the situation can be fixed, but as it was said, please try and use the !gm function. Even if a GM does not immediately respond, all of the reports are stored and investigated by an un-biassed person. I know it was not your intention to flame, but you must also take into consideration the efect of your post can have upon the other players that read it.

Welcome back man, I hope to see more of you IG!

P.S. : Rugh will get out sooner that he thinks, the Warlord has strong connections in Bane, heheheh :wink:

Posts: 1234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:14 pm
Location: In Ethereal Thoughts

Post by Nalzaxx » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:48 am

I've never understood this whole pseudo engine-roleplay balance that essentially forms some kind of unwritten code within the community.
Its wonky, its flawed, and it simply doesn't work. Which leads to incident after incident like this. Time and time again.
And it all seems to stem from this belief that a good roleplayer is one who writes lengthy sentences with colourful language.
We have an engine for a reason, you cannot ostracise Sirith for using it.
If the methods he used are unfair or unbalanced then it should be addressed by changing the engine.
We have to get past this thinking where using the engine is a taboo.

Roleplay is great, its why I love illarion, and writing flowering sentences is fun aswell.
But when it comes to player conflicts how are you meant to decide the outcome?
By the person that writes the most gramatically correct sentence?
Or the one that has the best social standing as a 'good roleplayer'?
Or by using what we've been given and duking it out with the engine?

And its crazy the way we behave about it.
There's situations where a conflict is inevitable.
And people mill about making long sentences and excuses,
Because they don't want to be the first one to ctrl click.
And thereby be labeled a poor roleplayer, and to recieve the righteous wrath of the community!
Am I really the only one who thinks its better roleplay for sworn enemies to attack each other on sight.
Rather than wandering up to each other and dithering about for an eternity?

Good roleplay is playing your character as a well developed and believable character.
Not about writing the most poetic sentences.

And seriously, this whole, "play together for each other mentality."
Can we drop this already? Its quite clear that people want to play competitively.
And this is just confusing the way people go about it.
As it stands its a meta-concept that is actually harming the flow of the game.
And what causes people to be so upset when there is a difference of opinion.
Players should be nice to players. Characters should be free to be characters.

"Bang bang you're dead."
"No I'm not."
"I shot you"
"No you didn't I dodged it."
"I'm a good aim I never miss."
"Well this time you did"
"Thats not fair!"

Am I getting my point across?
Stop perpetuating this idiocy.
And let people play the game.

Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Post by Grim_banned » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:55 am

P.S. : The devs have already been alerted about the high abuses a druid potion can be subjected to. It has been fixed already, waiting to be uploaded with the VBU ;) All thank you know who, that drank 7 potions one after the other while under attack by two assassins :P

Like Nalz said.. the engine is not perfect, it can not be perfectly balanced from the start. But if the devs get input from players, it does get fixed :) Look at the mages par example. Matt killed half of Trolls Bane one day, now mages have casting time. Thanks Matt >.< :P

Posts: 7382
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 7:12 am
Illarion e.V.: Active Member
Location: vienna

Post by martin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:41 am

Nalzaxx wrote:"Bang bang you're dead."
"No I'm not."
"I shot you"
"No you didn't I dodged it."
"I'm a good aim I never miss."
"Well this time you did"
"Thats not fair!"
Where can I sign?

Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:30 pm
Location: A place which I call home......

Post by Skaalib Drurr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 am

The main reason why the above two posts are garbage is because in this instance and in many instances the engine will not be made fair for some time. So only the players can make the game fair, for the time being at least.

I don't think it is so wrong to trust that people will behave appropriately.

Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Post by Grim_banned » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:59 am

That is true Skaalib, but in this particular situation it has been already established that the RP was... let's just say it could of been better ;)

The whole argument now has shifted, centering around the people that complain against the usage of the engine all together (not necessarely including anyone that wrote in this topic).
Nalzaxx's argument was that the engine, even if not perfect, is there for a specific reason, reason which many seem to forget, and his written and qouted example was not a reduction at absurdum, but rather a very competant example of where a clear line should be drawn between RP and engine usage :)

Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: I see your post and I raise you 5.

Post by Flux » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:09 am

What I read:

Let's not tell the GMs, a GM punishment is not enough, I must publicly call out and humiliate this player and his roleplay.

Maybe if you'd maintain a level of maturity your complaint would be taken more seriously.

Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:55 pm

Post by Bellringer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Sorry Rugh, I was there at that scene and I'll admit that it was a poor reaction to a RP'd death threat, to use a potion when physically impossible to do so. It could easily have been solved with RP, e.g. with Kalune and Rolfe planning to charge in from the side-lines, as they were going to anyway. However, it was not, and PO Cptn. Sirith understands that this is a mistake and has apologised. Also I know the PO, and he usually plays his role very well. Don't treat an exception to great roleplay as if it were the rule.
Come back to the game and don't get in a fuss, just because the rp wasn't up to scratch - he is fairly new after all. Besides, yours was far from perfect either! "I've come to smash the Captain of the Guard" with no explanation, back-story or reasoning behind it. Just out of the blue.
Everyone's RP needs to improve, and if you're perfect by all means share the secrets, but you're not, I'm not and Sirith is not - the least we can ask of players is that they forgive the occassional poor roleplay on our part. I've rp'd drunk before - I'd be mortified if someone left the community because of it!
Forgive, forget and keep playing.
:wink:

Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Kugar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:02 pm

This used to happen all the time, so it's not really a case of where has the roleplay gone, rather, the old days have returned. Rejoice! :lol:

But on a serious note, yeah he is relatively new, apparently. Perhaps it's just too much responsability being the captain of the guard for the n00b? :wink:

Ofcourse, I am joking. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, what then can we laugh at? I believe the lesson has been learned here.

Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Post by Arvemor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Signed. Everyone has learned from this, and what needs to have been said has been said. Mistakes were made, and we're very sorry. Now get out and have fun!

Posts: 319
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:38 am
Location: In between.

Post by Orioli » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:41 pm

I want a recount!! *snicker*

Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:28 pm
Location: Orcs ob da northern mountains

Post by Rugh'toh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Heh, guys, I must admit I am surprised :-)

First, I expected that this threat would be closed within hours after its birth. Seems Arien is in holiday or so :wink: 8)

Second, the reactions of the community to my quite harsh words in sum were much warmer and supportive than expected (and actually deserved) :-)

Third, I say sorry to the PO of the captain. You did your job in game after all, and to be frank my RP actually was some sort of test as well. So, it was my fault that I had certain expectations right from the beginning of our little RP session.

However, there is one thing I am not surprised about: Green skins rule - even the forum :-)

Oh, and Bellringer, I am afraid I need to correct you: My RP always is close to perfection... 8) since the big advantage of an Orc is that nobody can understand orcs' ways of thinking... unpredictability, my friend, unpredictability.. fits perfectly well to any orc char concept ;-)

Still loving the Illa-community :)
All the best,
PO Rugh

Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:55 pm

Post by Bellringer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 am

Oh, and Bellringer, I am afraid I need to correct you: My RP always is close to perfection... 8) since the big advantage of an Orc is that nobody can understand orcs' ways of thinking... unpredictability, my friend, unpredictability.. fits perfectly well to any orc char concept
If you say so, Mr. Clan-leader, I shall accept it as Gospel! ;)

Posts: 647
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Post by orgis » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 am

I can't remember there every being another way of thinking :lol:

Developer
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 am

Post by Nitram » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:46 am

Reading this I guess the roleplay is gone to exactly the same place as the players with healthy minds.

Nitram

Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:28 pm
Location: Orcs ob da northern mountains

Post by Rugh'toh » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:04 am

Nitram wrote:Reading this I guess the roleplay is gone to exactly the same place as the players with healthy minds.
Nitram
Dev's refuge?
GM-castle?

8)

Return to “General / Allgemeines (Player Forum)”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.