i can see clearly now the shroud has come!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Koboldshroud

i can see clearly now the shroud has come!

Post by Koboldshroud »

Hello people of Illarion! *waves madly* just joined your wonderful comunity and im going to get in in the next few days (hopefully) Im going to play as as orc elf or lizard, this much is sure, but i am torn between them. can you more experienced players give me any advice on which to choose? i do understand that there is no "better race" but i am sure some would be easiar than others. also as a side note, are lizardmen IG realy religous? or do the players generaly not do that? just wanted to know for coolity (word invention woopwoop!)
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Harhar! Welcome in Illarion Koboldshroud!

As far as I see... there is just one way to solve your problem. And both are green. 8)

Honestly, just choose the folk wich the most chesthair.
There are lizardmen Ig wich are VERY religious. Other less. But I like to say, that the lizard and orc folk are those wich care most about the "will" of their gods. The orcs surely are more rude an barbaric then the others. The elves are a quite opposite community, but not less fun.

Each folk shall promises their own fun. Its hard to say for an stranger wich will be yours. Finally you are completly free, to choose the way, you like to play your character.
AND.. you are free to try each folk. And see wich is the most fun.

Best wishes
Rincewind

PS.: I'm greenbutt. Image
Llama

Post by Llama »

I've played 3 lizards throughout the time. Lizards are VERY religious - because they were created by the water goddess so they are very tied towards that in their culture. For an IG example - when the lizards were building a town, first thing they built was the Temple (its to the east of Gobaith by the way).

If you do play a lizard, make sure he's religious, or it'll be very very hard to make friends with other lizards. They're seen as pariahs more than anything else.

That said, because there aren't too many lizards around most lizards are nice towards other lizards. Not saying that elves aren't, but I haven't played an elf for 4 years or so now.

Other than that - welcome to illarion :) And hope to see you IG soon.
Flux

Post by Flux »

It really depends on what you want to play. Remember, you have a 5 character limit, and it's not as if the whole orc community, elf community and lizard community are on all the time or even at the same time. There's nothing stopping you from making one of all three and seeing which you like best ;).
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Yeah just give it a try, and if you're REALLY unsure of it, you can always try a human first.

PS:
Orcs are still the best.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Most advise roleplaying a human is easiest for those first learning how to RP. If have done before, even forum text, another race would probably be no problem. As a general rule, and not kept by all chars, orcs, elves and lizards have a group they will attempt to RP with along with racial distinctions. Have fun regardless and welcome.
The great one

Post by The great one »

First of all don't let anyone tell you your lizard has to be religious, that would be your choice. Secondly, 'learning how to rp' isn't some hard thing to do where you have to join a secret society with a dodgey handshake. We all pretended to be our favourite character from something or another when playing as kids, and if you know how to pretend and have an imagination you are three quarters of the way there. It isn't rocket science.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

Haha no dude the reason I was asking about the lizards is becuase I actualy love the idea of a religious lizardman, but I wanted to know so if I went with a lixaedman how fanatical I would be playing it, ya DIG! I was studying deeper into the various cultures and have ended up ruling out elves... Anyway their abit to human for me.. *shrugs* (ex DM alert). So its orc or lizard... I must say the great green but of rincewind may be hypnotising me.... Mehehehe, but then I still l ike lizards, I'm going to look deeper into the forums and at some guild boards, maybe I can find some more info on them. (On a side note.... I only want to plaay one character, I have read up on the info of the. PG restrictions and I figure staying with one char is best, plus I have always wanted to be able to play a single character and develop his or her persona deeply)
Llama

Post by Llama »

The great one wrote:First of all don't let anyone tell you your lizard has to be religious, that would be your choice.
Yes of course it is. You can play an orc who fights for pro-halfling rights and is a vegan But the way the lizard community IG works is that religion is the key. Of course you can log in, say bad thigns about Zelphia and whatever, but it'll be REALLY difficult for you because all the established lizards are like that.
-
You can play as fanatical as you want. In fact, the more fanatical you do, the better :P

If you want to see how the (now sadly mostly-abandoned) lizard town - the guild's name is Zzyathis.

Added: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=29784
Damien

Post by Damien »

Sounds like lizzy then. Orcs don't seem to value much personality deeper than their bellies or the purses of other people.
Or their guts, sometimes.
:lol:
#me flicks his tail, bites the head off a small fish and swallows the rest whole.
Parod

Post by Parod »

Dis scaly hab bad toughts ob orcs, don know nub better.Youse habba make up yuh mind, orcs gud.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Damien wrote:Orcs don't seem to value much personality deeper than their bellies or the purses of other people.
They just express it more simply IMO.

The problem with deeply religious orcs is that it gets really weird at times, since moshran may want them to be brutal, unforgiving murderers, but that very oftenly isn't a valid thing to do in the game, simply because you don't want to kill everyone/have 30 wannabe heroes on your doorstep/get complained about because someone felt their happy carebox rp got disturbed.
It's a challange though.

But Rugh was an awesome example of an orc that didn't get into fights all the time, yet he was still quite orcish and religious.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Oh. Orcs and Lizards also talk a bit different from regular people, so make sure you account for that.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

would be fun with a orc talking lizard though... i played lizards a couple of times..and seeing as i am the least religious caring bastard person here i have to say it was...mmmmkay :P funsies yes, annoying with the whole "jeebus wuvs meh" thing.. and then i played an orc which i have stuck to for some months despite the whole "jeebus wuvs meh" shait. pick a choose really, orcs have more fun. lizards tend to stand around talking about..fish and water>,<
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Basicly...if you like smashing stuff, fart jokes, and genrally acting pritty stupid, be an orc. If you like Fish, religion, and scales, be a lizard man. :wink: .
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

The problem with deeply religious orcs is that it gets really weird at times, since moshran may want them to be brutal, unforgiving murderers, but that very oftenly isn't a valid thing to do in the game, simply because you don't want to kill everyone/have 30 wannabe heroes on your doorstep/get complained about because someone felt their happy carebox rp got disturbed.
Actually the background states that just few follow moshran openly. Many, or even most orcs, follow Bragon and Malachin aswell. Orcs also don't go on brutal killing sprees out of fun. Then there are also the Flame orcs, Paladins of the orcen tribe who are not evil or bad at all. They are quite smart, righteous and civilized.

So you can play a very religious orc, cause he doesnt have to follow Moshran at all.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Morbius wrote:Basicly...if you like smashing stuff, fart jokes, and genrally acting pritty stupid, be an orc. If you like Fish, religion, and scales, be a lizard man. :wink: .
I think thats just us, Morby.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Hehe, oh well. Farting orcs are still the best kind in my mind. :wink:
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Orcs are more than thud and fart.

The Background don't solicit/support the silly orcrs. Tecnical Int. limit is ~16.
Please remember/or notice the complex social structure within a group. A orc is more than a silly green musklehill. But be free to play those, and I like to promise you boredom.

A orc character assumes the same background preparings like each other character. If your orc just goes on a killing spree each 20 minutes, his brothers won't be verry happy with him/her. And fastly tie the killer at the next tree.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Well, I dunno what the orc tribe is doing right now, but the last few times I played I got a feeling like "We gotta kill this and that and this and claim this and that for Moshran." Even though it doesn't actually happen, it's still what most things are about.
Of course this was only a short period and I might be wrong.

And I do understand that orcs don't have to follow Moshran, but so far almost all of em do, and it does block out quite some oppurtunities if you don't.

If I do come back sometime Rukka is going to convert you all into flower orcs :lol:
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Rincewind wrote:Orcs are more than thud and fart.
Of course they are. But it comes with the package. =D
There will also always be deviations from the mean, no matter what race...pick a character that you enjoy, not one others think you should be.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

That's all very good but... Will it blend?