Do Illarion developers have career plans in game making?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dyluck

Do Illarion developers have career plans in game making?

Post by Dyluck »

This is a question aimed mostly at those who help develop the technical aspects of Illarion. I was wondering if you are using your technical skills solely as a hobby for Illarion, or if perhaps you are actually polishing your skills for use someday in an actual job related to proffessional game making or maybe some other job that requires your technical skills? If so, what academic field have you studied, or what credentials do you have, or what are your career plans? Also, do you know if any former developers have gone on to related professions in either gaming making or their technical expertise?
pharse

Post by pharse »

I am studying computer science. I have nothing against a job as software engineer ;)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

What about Dyluck? You made that whole Legends of Illarion thing...which I still haven't gotten to work. (Definitely my fault, so don't worry)
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm an ICT student, so development is really up my ally. That said, I'm more interested in Security than actual game development at the moment. I see helping illarion out as more a case of 'using my skills to help the community' than 'practice'.

I've got enough 'practice' already, stupid projects.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

@pharse: What specific skills do you have now or that you will learn? Are you at a certain level at using LUA or?

@Arvemor: I did not study or work in anything related, but I kind of want to now. The only thing close I did in university was a few intro courses in computing science, and one Visual Basic course. The closest related "skills" I needed to create Legends Of Illarion was manipulating variables and logically conceptualizing code for puzzles in something like "If player does action A, then add 1 to variable X, else minus 1 to variable X. If variable X is over 5 do action B, else loop to beginning".
Blay

Re: Do Illarion developers have career plans in game making?

Post by Blay »

Dyluck wrote:I was wondering if you are using your technical skills solely as a hobby for Illarion, or if perhaps you are actually polishing your skills for use someday in an actual job related to proffessional game making or maybe some other job that requires your technical skills?
Mainly I just want to help this game (because I already have a lot of knowledge in programming), anyway I already learned a lot (especially in Java).
Dyluck wrote:or what are your career plans?
I'm wishing to become a professional game developer when I'm older ;)
Ardian

Post by Ardian »

I am studying electrical engineering and information technology. and did learn more hardware orientated programming than game programming. So game developing is just a hobby for me.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Dyluck wrote:@pharse: What specific skills do you have now or that you will learn? Are you at a certain level at using LUA or?
My course of studies is a general one, so I get an overall draft of the whole computer science profession. That is, of course, several programming languages: Scheme (like Lisp), Java, C++, OpenGL, C#, SQL, and whatever is asked. But that is just the framework for different areas: networking, assembler coding, algorithm theory, data base theory, mathematical basics, stochastic and logic theory, artificial intelligence and of course software engineering. E.g. I am currently participating in a project with other students to create a real-time strategy game from scratch. Perhaps I'll publish it here when it's done at the end of July ;)

My Lua skills are sufficient for Illarion. But I think it's more important to know all the Illarion specific things and how to use them. I guess I have some experience in that matter.

For the future, I think I'll choose the special courses of graphics and AI. So, some job related to those subjects would be good.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Ardian wrote:I am studying electrical engineering and information technology. and did learn more hardware orientated programming than game programming. So game developing is just a hobby for me.
Same for me.