Brainstorming on Noobia

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Brainstorming on Noobia

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Dear Illarionites,
as most of you might know, we have a tutorial island called Noobia. It has been around for quite a while and its existance is essential for Illarion. Noobia's mission is to introduce one to the basic handling of Illarion, replacing a lengthy manual.

Since Noobia imprints the very first impression one has of Illarion, it is vital that Noobia is even more perfect than the game itself. The first ten minutes usually decides whether one will play Illarion or deletes the game immediatly.

Thus, I want to start this brainstorming about Noobia - to make it better than just good. To contribute to this brainstorming, I'd like to ask you, fellow Illarionites, to revisit Noobia with a brand new character and pretend to be a n00b (chose Noobia as starting location for your new character). Try to make your way through Noobia and note what catches your attention, especially:

-What do you like about Noobia?
-What sucks?
-What is missing?
-What is superfluous?
-How much time did you spend on Noobia?
-What (small) problems or bugs did you encounter?

Any logs that show details, e.g. typos in NPC texts or strange responses to spoken text, are appreciated!

One request: Do not argue about others' point of views - give your point of view instead. So, if somebody e.g. recommends to add a huge monster dungeon, don't respond like "no, I don't think that is good" but give your very own ideas what should be added (or removed). This way, we have two options instead of none.
Triton

Post by Triton »

Noobia kahm heraus oder wurde geöffnet, als ich schon eine Weile dabei war.
Also testete ich es damals promt und um ehrlich zu sein ist es für jemanden der
sich mit dem Spiel auskennt kein Problem.

Jetzt sehen wir die Sache aber mal aus der Sicht eines völligen Neuankömmlings,
wozu diese Insel eigentlich erst erschaffen wurde.

1.0 Es zieht sich gefühlt über eine Ewigkeit hin
1.0.1. Vermutlich aufgrund der NPC Sprache die so grotten langweilig ist, dass man ausloggen möchte.
1.0.2 Man sollte mehr Spannung einbauen um Vorfreude aufs Spielinterne zu erreichen.
1.0.3 z.B. mit Hinweisen und ersten Gesprächen über Städte und Gilden, Berufe usw.

2.0 Noobia ist schön gestalltet um aber zu ereichen was teils viele Spieler erwarten kann man auch
Highlights einbauen, wie z.B leuchtende Pilze oder lauschige Plätzchen. Das macht das ganze Atraktiver.

3.0 Der lineare Aufbau nervt..wenn man den Weg von NPC zu NPC verlässt, dann hat man Probleme zurück in den Faden zu finden..
3.0.1 Man sollte versuchen verschiedene Wege zur Hauptinsel zu schaffen, nicht nur einen strickt vorgeschriebenen.

Naja , mehr fällt mir grad nich ein.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I gave myself a run through of Noobia, but sadly didn't have time to test the optional crafters at the end. Here is my input.

What do you like about Noobia?

As soon as I log in, I'm at the docks and can easilly assume that i've just come off a boat, I feel like the scene is set and without moving I can already see a lovely display of different tree and ground textures which gives me a good first impression of illarion's graphics.

The NPCs seem to be perfectly understandable, I tried thinking of different ways to "get confused" but the help descriptions are just too clear. One thing I loved was the second npc, the dwarf fighting the scarecrow. When you approach him to see the first fighting animations and sounds, the scene became very well set and the story was making sense.

Also, after the woodcutting npc, I feel the atmosphere became exceptional, you read the sign post to go to Sandscape, and the journey involves passing different scenery and environments, finally working your way up the mountain into the castle, where you can see out the windows into the wilderness and watch the Ogres in their lifestyles. A very nice feature and makes the first impression of the game VERY mythical.

What sucks?

The second npc says to change the counter at the bottom of the screen you need to bring the curser above it and scroll up - easilly missunderstood, and not everyone has a scrolling wheel on their mouse! You do get alternative methods of changing it after you succeed (use the page up and down keys), but It looks far more technical and attractive to just left click the counter, and type in the number you desire into the menu that pops up.

What is missing?

Those remaining crafter npcs at the end.

How much time did I spend on Noobia?

Well over 30 minutes, trying all the different stuff. But that's without even accessing any of the crafters at the end.

What small problems did you encounter?

-After the mummy fight the npc asks if I saw the blue swirlie above my head and goes on to describe what it is. I did not get one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really enjoyed having the build up of mythical feeling on Noobia, which was very well done. I would like to maybe see more wilderness - Monsters in their habitats maybe? It made the game feel quite exciting and made me really want to play, despite already being an experienced player, so that's got to say something.

-Matt
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

You only have to do this crap once...

-What sucks?

The crafters who are STILL missing, the boring, boring Noobia, boring dialogues, NPC's who say "I do not understand, say 'yes' or 'help'" ...sigh.
Vote 4 RP on Noobia lol...introduce people there instead of these NPCs...they need a backup.

-What is missing?

Some crafters...some action...fun...something more then the super mario concept (you may only walk right -> one direction)
Some magic or druidic introduction, just to let the player know how it is like. You'll loose every skill afterwards, anyways.

-What is superfluous?

Noobia in general, at its current state...it is no help at all...or it wasnt for me...(okay, i started before there was noobia, but...no matter, its not useful i think)

Straight know-what-to-do action: 5 minutes.
I-have-no-idea-what-that-NPC-wants-just-try-everything action: hours...

Missing crafter portals (dont remember which ones)...exactly the ones i wanted to know that time...nevermind.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

The name always bugged me, I thought it should have been something more...fantasy-ish. Just hearing Noobia made me think of Runescape, and instantly I compared it to that.

But otherwise, I thought it was a nice intro, not some static quest. "Help me kill the the mighty dragon. Fetch a bucket." :roll:
It was something that any character could go through, and even talk to other characters. "I remember that dwarf! He was the first to show me how to put on armour!"

It was especially nice seeing the beasties out the window. :P
Milo Bottoms

Post by Milo Bottoms »

Very helpful. I spent about twenty minutes this time as I skipped the crafters. My first visit as a true noob I did go to all of them and I recall it was very useful when I arrived in Gobaith. I believe I spent perhaps two hours in there the first time. When you get around to finishing the craft teachers is gemcutting really that important that it needs to be taught to a noob? I think something else like a simple lesson in herb gathering. Have them gather some strawberries or mushrooms.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

First impression: Graphics are good, instructions very plain yet gives no other options on how to do something i.e. oocly HAS to be done by using #o rather then allowing a player to type (( )). If not done exactly step by step, a new player HAS to go back and begin the entire thing again from the start getting a message you can go no further because your lesson wasn't complete. As a new player I would get frustrated by this program MAKING me have to follow these guidelines when I am anxious to begin playing and PKing everyone :wink: Most game sites have information posted for new players that a training time is required before their first char is actually in game. This should probably be prominently displayed under "start game" and give an estimate of a hour or so... this would alleviate some frustration of wanting to get in game right away.

Discussing the health bar "under the map" may need to be changed for the VBU as just a red bar. Like Matt, I saw no swirley during the brief fight with the mummy.

The lumberjacking was confusing... I right clicked and used "pick up" instead of drag and it wouldn't accept it before I figured out they wanted it in the bag rather then belt. A new player may not know which is which as far as bag or belt.

I am trying to look at Newbie Island from the view point of a new player anxious to get in game. Possibly he/she is only interested in fighting and would prefer to skip the how to on crafting all together. Since the program only requires you to do two.. lumberjacking and another (I only tried smelting).. it shouldn't be an issue but it may help to not require any crafting at all allowing those new players to skip it entirely with their first char. Or, let the new player know that only two crafts will be shown, the rest up to them. My guess is they will easily find out in game if want to know, or can simply make another crafter char and go through more of Newbie.

I had forgotten on the test server for Newbie that you basically go through the entire lesson without any clothes.. since a lesson may not be an issue but to make Newbie more user friendly it would be very nice if the char could keep a blouse, pants made at the tailor, the log they cut including the hammer....cheap armor, helmet and any tools they pick up including the swirleys when they are transported to the game. THIS would make Newbie worthwhile for new players to spend their time on ( IMO most new players need more items anyway then what they start the game with... unlike older players they have no knowledge of how to get copper/train etc).

Overall impression: it is very nice to have a teaching island such as Newbie, graphics are good except for the cave which was too light compared to in game now. Time spent about 30-40 minutes having to go back once.. and got slightly frustrated having to read instructions twice on a couple of things stated.

(( PO Milo.. was that your cat? *g* ))
Flux

Post by Flux »

Perhaps add an option for anyone to skip it. When I started I'd worked out how to do everything within a minute of playing, and there's a manual anyway. Since it's all "technical" things that any slightly game-savvy person could work out, it probably isn't necessary for a lot of the people who come in, and would therefore be a deterrant. I would be suicidal by the end of Noobia.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Funny: those restrictions were added only after complaints that newbies just ignored the first NPCs and then didn't know how to do the basic things for the last NPCs.
Estralis Seborian

Another example that you cannot appease everyone and that a overall unique vision for the game is needed ;-).

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'd be also interested in what lessons you consider useful and what are superfluous. Also, I appreciate any small hint on e.g. typos.
Lhosseth

Post by Lhosseth »

I revisited Noobia today and the first thing I want to know is: Why can't I make snowballs in Noobia!?
I also noticed some general and typing errors in the NPC texts. To not clutter up the topic with this, I shall send this in a pm to Estralis.

~It is much better than reading a manual and for people new to this kind of games it is very useful. It also gives a nice idea of many aspects of the game in just one hour. It made me want to discover more of the game. Starting on the pier I instantly got a feeling of excitement about playing illarion, it looks good and the atmosphere is consistent with the game itself.
~The description in blue near the young lizard is wonderful, it sets the scene very nicely and makes you interested in the Lizard and the cross! (Although it also shows if you walk the other way across the bridge.) More of these descriptions would be great.
~After fighting the mummy: *the mummie dissolves into dust* I never saw that one ig, it would be nice to have ig too!

-What sucks?
~There are no animals or monsters to liven up the island. Why not let the newcomer meet another mummy or a small wolf after learning about fighting from the dwarf brothers?
~Too many crafters are on holiday! making the whole learning part a little lame, because it is so obvious that it is only half done, especially if it is the NPC teaching the craft you want your character to take up as a job. (I could help with creating some NPCs, for instance the farmer and fisherman.)
~I can't make snowballs!

-What is missing?
~Explanation on the quality of items when learning to craft.
~Explanation of F10, I used that one a lot, especially as a new player.
~Maybe explain that talking to a NPC should be done as if it is a normal character. I often hear new players talk to NPC’s in game like: "List wares" "buy bread" "Sell boots"
~Some explanations are incomplete:
  • *Henry explains 'use' only as shift-click, not as right click and select 'pick-up'.
    *Nargon doesn't explain that setting the counter can also be done with left mouse click, which lets you type in the number, or right mouse click to select a number.
    *Nargon doesn't explain how to abort a fight.
    *No one explains how to examine characters closely and what the difference is between 'examine' and 'examine closely'.
-What is superfluous?
The crafters Nimbur and Arax are redundant, they even say almost the same thing. It could be one NPC teaching both things, or showing one and explaining that another hammer can be used to make other items.

Easily more than an hour. It was the same the first time, I wanted to be well prepared before meeting anyone ig and noobia helped me in that.

~Many typo's, especially in the crafter NPCs, I'll write these down in a pm to Estralis.
~Most annoying bug: When walking back to Amelia and greeting her again she says: "Hello %Charname!. I can explain etc."
~One general bug: very few of the NPCs react correctly to 'Thank you', maybe it's me, but if I'm roleplaying my character will thank someone for giving or explaining something to them. In noobia most of the NPC don't respond correctly or at all to this.
Graphicus

Post by Graphicus »

I'm an old player that recently came back, and the island looked really nice and fun. It seemed natural and exciting, up to the crafters part which was tedius and I found after the first, it got boring and repetitive. Maybe turning each craft-tutorial into more of a quest, with things happening in between clicking a stove than a river then a sheep then an oven.would excite it up abit. Also, getting lumbered with a bunch of ingots and wool and having to throw it all away was abit annoying too.

Crafting Bugs:
Maybe because it was night time, (i'm not sure how the craft works) but I couldn't bleach the cloth at the tailors.
Had no entrails to finish cooking the sausages at the chef.

But overall it was fun and informative.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

@Graphicus

i had the same problem at first. got it to work though

Ifyou need entrails just go to him and say, i need entrails

For cloth bleaching, you must lay it out for like an hour or so, i dont think the D/N cycle makes any difference :wink:
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

but I read that some want you to be able to keep the items, which is nice indeed, but you'd have to fix the dwarf npc that gives you money, because you can keep asking him for money indefinetly even if you still have money.
Blay

Post by Blay »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:but I read that some want you to be able to keep the items, which is nice indeed, but you'd have to fix the dwarf npc that gives you money, because you can keep asking him for money indefinetly even if you still have money.
and all crafting tutorials, because they give you materials...too much effort.
Koboldshroud wrote: For cloth bleaching, you must lay it out for like an hour or so, i dont think the D/N cycle makes any difference :wink:
It's less than an hour, I don't know the exact value, must be between 5 and 15 minutes I think.
The Day-Night cycle does not affect the bleaching.
But it seems like there's a bug - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Well, I wasn't able to reproduce it myself yet.
Graphicus

Post by Graphicus »

Blay wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:but I read that some want you to be able to keep the items, which is nice indeed, but you'd have to fix the dwarf npc that gives you money, because you can keep asking him for money indefinetly even if you still have money.
and all crafting tutorials, because they give you materials...too much effort.
Koboldshroud wrote: For cloth bleaching, you must lay it out for like an hour or so, i dont think the D/N cycle makes any difference :wink:
It's less than an hour, I don't know the exact value, must be between 5 and 15 minutes I think.
The Day-Night cycle does not affect the bleaching.
But it seems like there's a bug - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Well, I wasn't able to reproduce it myself yet.
But surely, making a newbie wait 5 to 15 minutes is just as bad as making them wait an hour for cloth to dry.. When they are doing nothing but staring at cloth, Illa is going to seem really boring. Most of the crafting tutorial's were boring really, they ought to be spiced up abit.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Some new people seem to be annoyed by the fact that NPCs are steered with text based commands.
They end up not finding the clue words in something an NPC speaks, quite often. Or mistyping them.. but that's own fault. Many seem to get frustrated over that.
But with most of those candidates, it's kinda like they don't want to interact at all, for talking to some of them just gets no reaction.

So, they COULD, theoretically, also be very advanced spambots... so solving noobia seems to be a very good spambot protection... :P :P :P
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

The only thing I notice that is wrong is that I got "concussion" Skill instead of "slashing" for killing the mummy.
David Turner

"

Post by David Turner »

It is generally a good introduction and goes through most of the important parts of the game. The format is generally good and, so long as you already know what to do, it only takes about 10 minutes to get through the entire thing. Not too bothersome, as some might think it is, and the advantages greatly outweigh the problems.

-What sucks?
The BIGGEST thing, the missing crafters. Seriously, my character started out trying to be a woodworker but having no one to teach me the basics of the craft. I ended up having to ask any number of people in game just to figure out what the h*ll I was supposed to be doing and why clicking on something or shift clicking didn't do what it seemed like it should do. If it hadn't been for the rollplay I would have ditched the game right when I entered the world thinking that it was generally nonfunctional. Afterall, it is still in beta.

Second, you spend so much time in that place but get to keep NOTHING? That seems like a waste. It isn't as though your character is going to be appearing with loads of anything, all they have is their inventory and it is impossible to carry that much stuff. Replace the starting equipment (which everyone admits is not enough) with the ability to pick stuff up from noobia and you should be good. That would require some adjustments (nobody should be able to pay for your wares or give you money, though they can point out that some people might want to buy the items elsewhere) but that shouldn't be too much trouble. Afterall, if you get to keep what you get and learn then there will be a sense of "I got something for my trouble" rather than "they wasted my time by explaining things that should have been easy enough to figure out on my own".

The first thing I noticed when I first played the game (no direct insult on Noobia, though it is something that should be brought up) is the difficulty with movement controls. The arrows being at an angle wasn't too much of a problem, but having to telegraph your moves to keep from going too far made it really hard to get anywhere. I also don't remember an explanation of the "go here" option on the right click menu, which would have somewhat helped but not fixed the problem.

-What is missing?
THE CRAFTERS. Seriously. This absolutely needs to be taken care of before anything else.

More explanation needs to go into the RP aspect of the game. Explain that, when talking to the NPCs, it is better to say "Can you list your wares to me, good sir" rather than "list wares" or "What can you help me with?" rather than "help". Also explain that you should treat NPCs like actual characters rather than parts of the landscape (perhapse with an explanation like "the guards can be pretty tolerant sometimes, but beware that they may report what they see and you may pay for it later" or something).

An explanation on the RP aspect of the game that takes place on the forums would also be a major improvement. Sometimes as much as half the game takes place on the forums, completely ignoring the RP that sometimes takes place over other media not game related, so that would be an important thing for new players to know.

An explanation of the storage boxes and how they work. I'm not the only one who didn't figure it out from the tutorial and had problems because of it.

Also, an explanation on all the stats (made ignorable if one already knows) would be good for character creation. We already have the basic stuff up publicly on the forums so why not just copy and paste it in there so that we don't get so many "what do all the stats do" questions from new players (who have good reason to be asking, since not all systems use all stats the same)?

-What is superfluous?
We only need one exit from Noobia. Giving people "options" is just confusing and likely to have some poor inexperienced player roaming the lonely halls of the dwarven fortress (because they built a Dwarf and thought that this is where he should be) or completely lost and separated from civilization by a few scorpions and wolves if they try going to Varkishir (perhaps because they like the name? Who knows). If someone really wants to go to one of those other places after they get to Troll's Bane, then they can, but anyone who can't figure out how to get there or can't make their way to that place should probably stay in the relative safety of Bane till they figure out more about the game.

The first time, probably a couple hours. I collected a bunch of fruit (wanting to be prepared, because I didn't know how easy it would be to get later) and made sure I understood as much as possible before I started. It really sucked to find out that I basically got NOTHING for my trouble except an explanation that seemed like it should have been obvious or more easily (and quickly) decipherable from the manual.

A few typos and quirks and such. Nothing that hasn't been mentioned before.

I also would like to see it named "newbia" rather than "noobia" due to the way it sounds. Calling someone a newb means that they are new or inexperienced, no fault of their own. Calling someone a noob means that they are stupid or willfully ignorant, and probably deserve heckling or at least they deserve to be ignored.
Triton

Re: Brainstorming on Noobia

Post by Triton »

Da hat sich ja mal gar nichts geändert. ;)
Estralis Seborian

Bitte benutze die Suchfunktion und tippe "VBU" ein.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Clearly owned. :wink:
Regallo

Post by Regallo »

I know when I first started. I met this random person at the cooking island. We were both trying to learn cooking. Neither of us could figure out how to cook the sausage to completion. He/she waked away, maybe from the game. So I say specifically make that part easier to understand.
Llama

Post by Llama »

We should be overhauling Noobia extensivly in time for the VBU. The crafter part especially - and attempting to make Noobia shorter - so players can actually get into the game, instead of spending an hour learning how to cut down trees and making fire.

Feedback is still appriciated. Were any of the lessons there, according to you (plural), unnecessary? Lessons which took too long? Things that we missed out? Lets here from y'all.
Damien

Post by Damien »

The actual approach is a good step : Make basic handling of things a must-do and make everything else and/or very craft-specific a can-do.
Reducing the walk distances as well as improving the understandeability of the NPCs may improve things.
I figure that with the next client, since the interface handling becomes easier, the Noobia NPCs will become easier to handle as well.

On-Screen-Pointers and comments - sort of like an overlay - for a tutorial, pointing out things on your interface (like he counter) - for example drawing a red circle around those while explainng stuff - might be an option, if such a thing as overlays becomes possible.
H.Banestone

Post by H.Banestone »

I have not read the majority of replies to avoid arguments.
One thing that really hurts the newbie in the first minutes of the game is inability to start out as a mage or a druid. After reading the ambitious and luring introduction to the game on the web page, a magic lover comes to noobia to learn his first spells, and ends up discovering the bitter truth.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

H.Banestone wrote:I have not read the majority of replies to avoid arguments.
One thing that really hurts the newbie in the first minutes of the game is inability to start out as a mage or a druid. After reading the ambitious and luring introduction to the game on the web page, a magic lover comes to noobia to learn his first spells, and ends up discovering the bitter truth.
This probably already has some solution, but maybe if they would get 2 or 4 rather weak basic runes to get the feeling of it if they chose mage? And a tutorial for druids added?
Felbion Lijawyn

Post by Felbion Lijawyn »

Qeewee wrote:
This probably already has some solution, but maybe if they would get 2 or 4 rather weak basic runes to get the feeling of it if they chose mage? And a tutorial for druids added?
Hell no. There's a simple reason we don't want complete newbies having runes. It's annoying enough to have someone run around with a badly made sword trying to pk people, you don't want someone starting to throw ice balls at your cook who's sitting at the campfire, do you? This game is about roleplay and players who come here because they wanna be 1337 p0wnzrz mages for the fun of using awesome graphic effects, killing tons of monsters in the process 5 minutes after they've started the game aren't the players we're looking for. There are rp-theories behind the magic system every char with even a single rune should have at least some idea of and there is a ton of background on races, gods, cities and what not a character should know - especially a class that is generally considered to be smarter than the rest (mage, druid). The same goes for the druid system. People worked hard to make druidism something mystical and interesting. The purpose of the system is not to start out with a recipe book and a basic set of druid runes, it's to have fun while researching recepies and learning more about the ingredients etc.

We have enough so called druids and mages that basically do nothing but annoy the hell out of players as it is because they completely rely on the engine sides of their respective professions, completely forgetting about rp, we don't need more of those. I'm all for making Magic and Druidism available for every serious player, but not in a way that will utterly destroy the ig atmosphere.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Felbion Lijawyn wrote:
Qeewee wrote:
Hell no. There's a simple reason we don't want complete newbies having runes. It's annoying enough to have someone run around with a badly made sword trying to pk people, you don't want someone starting to throw ice balls at your cook who's sitting at the campfire, do you? This game is about roleplay and players who come here because they wanna be 1337 p0wnzrz mages for the fun of using awesome graphic effects, killing tons of monsters in the process 5 minutes after they've started the game aren't the players we're looking for. There are rp-theories behind the magic system every char with even a single rune should have at least some idea of and there is a ton of background on races, gods, cities and what not a character should know - especially a class that is generally considered to be smarter than the rest (mage, druid). The same goes for the druid system. People worked hard to make druidism something mystical and interesting. The purpose of the system is not to start out with a recipe book and a basic set of druid runes, it's to have fun while researching recepies and learning more about the ingredients etc.

We have enough so called druids and mages that basically do nothing but annoy the hell out of players as it is because they completely rely on the engine sides of their respective professions, completely forgetting about rp, we don't need more of those. I'm all for making Magic and Druidism available for every serious player, but not in a way that will utterly destroy the ig atmosphere.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 44#p637944
Estralis Seborian wrote:There are conclusive conceptions for changing the rune learning and skill system in order to meet the demands of the intended audience of Illarion which was also defined and differs from a) what was stated above and b) what was defined in the past.

All we lack is manpower to realise all the conceptions in time, so both issues are currently planned not to be included in the VBU.
:wink: