Too many towns?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

Loophole wrote:sorry forgot to check who said this and too lazy to check but @whoever said you cannot find people, thats why my brother created the thread where is the rp at, so dont bitch about not knowing where people are, and start posting on the thread!
Because we all know that the thread works. If you want to see how much is doesn't - try comparing it to the "Who's RP did you like today" thread, and see which one increases the fastest.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:Wow, that sounds like every last major quest this game ever has. :roll:
Exactly what I was trying to show :) It's been done a million times before, would not be hard to do it again.
Dantagon Marescot wrote:People will unite if you do this, but only for the short period of time it takes to get the isle back to the way it was. After that you go back to people ignoring each other.
And that is why you cut down the number of settlements. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. Not quests. Not conflicts. Force people to be within a smaller area. Have two, maybe three towns. Don't allow the construction of any more. These would be the only places that had a variety of static tools. Have active governments, with POs who will take an interest in diplomacy. Have quests regularly (as will no doubt happen after the VBU).
orgis

Post by orgis »

Grokk wrote:And that is why you cut down the number of settlements. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. Not quests. Not conflicts. Force people to be within a smaller area. Have two, maybe three towns. Don't allow the construction of any more. These would be the only places that had a variety of static tools. Have active governments, with POs who will take an interest in diplomacy. Have quests regularly (as will no doubt happen after the VBU).
And if the player base grows? And what about construction of other buildings? Also the towns are no longer player run, the head is a GM who'll pop in now and again; then we have the problem with the quest idea. GM's and questers have lifes as well, you can expect them to go along with "YE'S DID IT BEFORE! DO IT AGAIN!!"

Also another reason why these quests were such fun was the fact they were new in a way, if you just redo the quests slightly different they'd get boring, lots of problems me tinks :roll:
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

You wish to have constant conflict is your opinion on how YOU wish to play Grokk that is not how I want to play if you seek constant conflict then feel free to start some in game.

Have a few bad words with the Orc's tell them their cubs are to hairy and smelly and I can assure you they will gladly give you conflict. As for ME and Drakon they fight when he needs to not just have some Rp. That gets old after a while the constant fight then all you will have is Characters running around Training and not Rping any way because they will be powering gaming to mister or misses uber warrior.

its a two sided sword and that is why the different towns are needed... not to keep people apart but to let them enjoy the game as they wish not how someone wants them to play or forces them and believe me you want someone to spit and walk away if they don't like your character in game whats the point in that in real life you avoid people not start conflicts or fight " I see player 1 I hate him instant fight between player 1 and 2 then you split in to a useless guild that last a month or two."

then your back to square one and nothing is solved.

if you want to bring more players together the where the Rp is not the way.

Start a forum Rp allow other to take part in it and gain momentum and excitement to attract more people to where you are and want them. Take it upon your yourself to start something. The GM's are busy people and can't be around all the time to cause excitement.

you have to remember its an RP game what can't be made by the player with GM help can BE rped by normal people you just have to use your imagination.

Example.

Call the all the warriors to Bane and have them hunt for a missing person some place dangerous even if its a few places. Rp the person there Rp them as hurt dead or crippled but you will have your rp.
Last edited by Drakon Gerwulf on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orgis

Post by orgis »

if your looking for a little conflict ig send a pm my way as well, though you need a solid reason for such and not just reused plots ;)
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

orgis wrote:And if the player base grows?
As I said in the first post, once the player base grows, then new settlements can be introduced. Even without new settlements being introduced, this is hardly a problem.
orgis wrote:And what about construction of other buildings?
Only allow buildings to be constructed in or very close to the towns. More buildings than that are unnecessary and just lead to people wanting to establish new settlements. Exactly how this problem arose in the first place.
orgis wrote:Also the towns are no longer player run, the head is a GM who'll pop in now and again
To my knowledge, only Troll's Bane is run exclusively by GMs. I could be wrong though. This does not really concern the thread topic.
orgis wrote:GM's and questers have lifes as well, you can expect them to go along with "YE'S DID IT BEFORE! DO IT AGAIN!!"

Also another reason why these quests were such fun was the fact they were new in a way, if you just redo the quests slightly different they'd get boring, lots of problems me tinks :roll:
As I said, this thread is not about quests. Of course the quest would have to be something new and original. Of course someone would have to put work in. Maybe it doesn't even need to be a quest? Again, this is not really an issue here.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Drakon Gerwulf wrote:You wish to have constant conflict is your opinion on how YOU wish to play Grokk that is not how I want to play if you seek constant conflict then feel free to start some in game.
Conflict is not what this thread is really about.

I am not speaking of conflict solely in the sense of 'you killed my father, now I hate you and will try to kill you.' Conflict can be anything, from a minor disagreement all the way to a blood feud between gods.

There is always constant conflict, whether I wish for it or not. Vanima's dislike and distrust of Troll's Bane is conflict. People being suspicious of the Prince's motives leads to conflict. Followers of two different gods may result in conflict. People disagreeing about whether black or green is the best colour for trousers is conflict.

I do not expect people to spit and walk away, that was just an example. I just want them to acknowledge those characters who they have conflict with.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Solution to topic:

Start getting more people to join. :wink:
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

But how do you get one or two towns, destroying the others? A quest? A GM initiated natural disaster (aka, causes a quest). What happens when you force all the temple members into a town with Non-temple members... conflict... Either with temple members taking down some of the non-temple members or visa versa. If someone disagrees with the active player run government what do you get, more conflict and a town that isn't very stable.

Play for more than say, 3-4 months and you will realize that there is a new government every 6 months to a year in Trolls Bane, which happens to be the town where most people are. In the outer towns you get people interesting in steady politics, the changes aren't as quick, the conflict is less subtle. But then you force everyone with different ideas on how they want to play into one spot and what do you get, player losses.

You can't tell people how to play or force people to play the way you want them to. To do so is to cause more harm than good. I would love to see people being more politically active. Yes this is a game, but this is an rp game and you are rping a life. You do so in rp as you would in life. However that works both ways. If you don't like your city, you move, if you don't like someone you avoid them, and if you disagree with something, you say so.

If you are really that upset about not finding rp join a guild or create one. Try to get people interested and try to get them to stay. Set up meetings so you have people to rp with and see what happens. Sometimes you have to create fun for other people inorder to have fun, not expect people to come to you and give you the fun you are looking for.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Just my two cents:
IF Nordmark would be destroyed to force us to play in a big town, my mainchar would leave the island. And with him, the PO would leave. And that is common attitude to most of Nordmark POs.
Llama

Post by Llama »

"If things don't go my way, I just leave"

There, I've summerised every single complaint in this thread.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:"If things don't go my way, I just leave"

There, I've summerised every single complaint in this thread.
Well, you did a good job on mine.
I want to play my chars the way i want. I play my chars using the background. And that includes that Vigalf will NOT live in the same town as elves and mages do. If i am forced to do it, he will leave the island.
And i will leave, too.
I dont want to be forced to play in a town. I want to have the choice to leave the town and to LIVE somewhere else. And for that a settlement is necessary.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

People - the considerations of Grokk are more of theoretical nature, a statement of principles. You don't need to jump up and defend your hucksville in the middle of nowhere against the allconsuming hut-muncher.

It is true that Illarion has too many villages (can't speak of towns here) for the low number of players. But the players built those villages, one after another, just to abandon old ones. Kallahorn, Fairytale, Long Monastery, the list is long. Surprisingly, many players who founded now abandoned villages are still around...
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Illarion is like a free for all picknick.

You'll get the blankets, the baskets, a nice park to stay in, heck even the cuttlery
but you have to bring the food (RP) along yourself if you want to eat something,
as the Quest Gm's can't feed everyone constantly on their far too small old BBQ-grill.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I'd like to write something on my own, but well... Kranek got my opinion pretty well, so *shrug*.

I have four chars in three different towns. And I enjoy being able to play them so differently. Forcing everyone into the same town would actually destroy most of my chars, as none of them likes Bane - and if I like it or not, it is the biggest town on that island.
I actually tried to rp in Bane for many times, I really did. Most of the chars I rped there are dead or gone back to the mainlands. And sorry, dudes, but there is a reason for that!
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I like to say...
(in addition to true words of Ogris, Dantagon Marescot and Drakon Gerwulf.)

To seperate all the different kinds of chars is a good thing, and makes the char's story and existence deeper.
I saw too much orcs living on Tol Vanima. And Folks which usually shall don't like each other, beeing best friends.
Mixed towns are chaotic. They rob your char the principle and prejudice. Its not fun to be each person best friend. *puke*
Also there shall be more place (then the Baner Campfire) to be with your group, undisturbed by jerks(IC).
Why there are such many villages? I DON'T WANT TO MEET YOU. I LIKE TO BE WITH MY GROUP.(IC)
To be with my group, gives my Charakter deepnes and targets. Wich we discuss about and work on plans how to get rid of somebody(IC).
Otherwise i will have a bunch of lukewarm friends. Where each one works on own plans. Wich are puny and uninportant at all.
(Sure there is alternativ to be friend.... its get bashed. Do you like get bashed? No, you don't.)

So my vote is clearly. I choose a group and stick to them. And i like to stay with them on a seperate place. Wich fits the background of the group.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Grokk wrote:To my knowledge, only Troll's Bane is run exclusively by GMs. I could be wrong though. This does not really concern the thread topic.

As I said, this thread is not about quests. Of course the quest would have to be something new and original. Of course someone would have to put work in. Maybe it doesn't even need to be a quest? Again, this is not really an issue here.
Yes bane is the only town run by the GM's at the moment, but with the idea of getting rid of other towns (there only being three others out there) You'd most likely have all those people in bane, which is just a daft idea to be frank. Orcs chasing halfers, templers sliting bearers throats, bearers zaping the templers to pieces, nordmarkys getting to know their elf friends a little too well with the end of their knife.... Sorry but there be alot of conflict in the idea of bring town levels down :lol:

Also like almost everyone has said, it would take a good quest, disaster to happen for all the lads to hop over to bane.... unless you want us to pretend they never happened :roll:
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

I would just like to point out that nowhere in this thread have I (or anyone other than those complaining) suggested that Troll's Bane should be the only town on Gobaith, nor have I suggested that Troll's Bane be one of the settlement's that are not removed. And yet, almost every single one of you complaining have used the fact that you and your character do not like Troll's Bane in your arguments.

I find it hilarious how strongly some of you feel about the settlement your character lives in. It is as though the town defines its residents, instead of the other way round. You are all raising petty IC issues (my character lives in an empty settlement and is absolutely against change) and in some cases even converting them into ridiculous OOC issues (therefore, I shall threaten to quit this game in order to protect my character's interests).

As Estralis kindly pointed out, this thread is not about me trying to destroy the homes of your characters. It is an attempt to discuss a potential solution to one of this games problems. How about instead of trying to protect your character's authority over a tiny, abandoned settlement (however important that makes you feel) or sense of belonging and uniqueness that comes from residing in said empty settlement, you take a step back and look at this from the perspective of a player who wants what is best for Illarion, not themselves/their character.
Damien

Post by Damien »

My two cents.

1. Fact: Different player bases. Different maturity grades. Different RP definitions. Some RP one way. Some another. Some another. Many not at all. Others just want to kick ass for compensational issues.

2. Mix them all up by forcing them into few towns => mucho conflicto. Cannot avoid meeting each another. Annoy each other. Grow hatred. Many immaturebies cause OOC conflicts. Cannot retread inside game, have to leave. Flame wars. Community splitting again. Angry players leaving. Fractalized community. Headache.

Results obvious :
Less towns == less players in long run. Too dense. No place for free growth.
Several towns == place for growth. Everyone finds place to fit in. More players. Conflicts only when wanted. Ability to avoid when not wanted. Community growth easier. Less troublesome. Pax. Laissez-faire, mes amis.

Suggestion.
Use one or more central, GM-controlled places like Troll's Bane as safety zone. Many NPCs. Bigger tavern. Less headaches. Good idea.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Grokk wrote:
zda wrote:umm.... how is sitting by a fire and talking with people not rping?
Of course it is RP. It is just not all there is to RP.
Campfire gatherings = Easy Mode.

When I see a group of people who have met randomly in town I usually cringe when one of them suggests a campfire (most of the time because it is often IG day-time when suggested).

On the topic of too many towns:
I think I'm in agreement with Damien here. His logic is quite sound. I'd like to think that one of the reasons there are a larger array of settlements is because characters had conflicting opinions with each other and some sought to settle with other like-minded individuals - not just because it was possible to "make" a town. Though I really dislike GM-controlled settlements as an idea, the leadership of .. well, leaders in the history of Troll's Bane (as an example) has been unusual and erratic - sometimes even pointless. But I would go even further and say that the GM in control of a town should be one that is freshly appointed and done so based on logical, idea-churning prowess and exemplary merits of the individual. For example, having a static, yet stagnant leader that contributes nothing in and out of character is a horrible idea.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Welcome to Illarion

Land of the people who probably can't accept any changes ever.
orgis

Post by orgis »

sounds like the autistic society :lol:
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

orgis wrote:sounds like the autistic society :lol:
That's offensive.