The Post-o-matic! Inventing.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jerico Aslaniz

The Post-o-matic! Inventing.

Post by Jerico Aslaniz »

Clever name, huh? Huh? *Hint hint, nudge nudge*

Since I'm not able to post in the improvements section of the board, I was wondering if technology just comes out randomly in the world of Illarion or if people themselves can invent things. I think if the object is rational, it could be implemented in - with comments to the inventor. I don't know. The more experienced could help me out with this.

Any response to this?

Thanks for your time,
-Jerico

Kluger Name, haha? Haha?

Da ich nicht im Stande bin, in der Verbesserungsabteilung des Ausschusses dahinzueilen, fragte ich mich, ob Technologie gerade zufällig in der Welt von Illarion herauskommt, oder wenn Leute selbst Dinge erfinden können. Ich denke, ob der Gegenstand vernünftig ist, konnte es in - mit Anmerkungen dem Erfinder durchgeführt werden. Ich weiß nicht. Das erfahrenere konnte mir damit hinaushelfen.

Antwort darauf?

Vielen Dank für Ihre Zeit,
-Jerico
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

But...why? I play Illarion because it's fantasy....medieval like. I don't want guns or elevators or cog-turned doors.
I like our time-period the way it is. It just seems like more effort to me. :/
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Put the word gnomish in front of it and you can practically have anything you like.

So long as it isn't guns, or anything with a motor.

You wouldn't get a graphic implemented but you could act as though it's there and most people will play along.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Who needs inventions when you have magic ;-)?

I do not know what you mean by "inventions" in detail, keep in mind that anything that has an effect on the game world needs to be scripted. And I doubt any developer wants to script a gnomecopter.

PS: Please do not use an online translator to translate your text to german, it is unintelligible.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Arvemor wrote:But...why? I play Illarion because it's fantasy....medieval like. I don't want guns or elevators or cog-turned doors.
I like our time-period the way it is. It just seems like more effort to me. :/
they had gunpowder cannon and muskets by the 14th century. they just weren't used a lot.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

*sigh*

Yes Illarion sets somewhere around 1300-1400 ac concerning european technology but somewhat before concerning society.
There is not even a trade union like the Hanse or universities for engeneering and the gynkesian cities are not even real merchant-republics like Venice.

It would be compareable to Eas-Asia where technological advancement did boom and surpass Europe quite much until ~1000 ac and got stuck there because on the one side there was no real need to invent new weapons and other devices.
Additionally there were not really societal structures encouraging further innovation or other civilizations like the Muslims for early medieval Europe at that time where one could "steal" innovations from.
Illarion is a little more extreme than that thanks to magic which makes most new inventions useless in the early states. Why use or try to improve such an old hand cannon when you can get a modern mortar for the same price?
When looking at the history of Illarion there were no major changes concerning technology for over 3000 years so it would be strange if that would change for a sudden.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Estralis Seborian wrote: I do not know what you mean by "inventions".
I'm sure its just meant as an 'invention' by an 'inventor' that 'invents' things. Like Alexander Graham Bell invented the phone; Hans Lippershey, Sacharias Jansen, and Hans Jenssen invented the microscope and so on.

@poster - Even though this would be cool and all, graphics would be an issue etc.. and unless you work in the graphics team, or have a close friend in the graphics team who is interested, it's highly unlikely your invention will be realized. Though perhaps in the very far future, when time regimes have been nullified and the illarion team have nothing better to do, this might happen. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

But yeah, nice to see an original question for once. And kudos on the belief that there should actually be inventors in illarion, cause lets face it, it's a bit unlikely noone would be an inventor apart from the mysterious builder (*scary*). And gnomes.. well they are merely liars, or beggars like you see in old movies based in egypt who call something already existing something else, and give you a BS story of its majesty ;)
Jerico Aslaniz

Post by Jerico Aslaniz »

Mmm. Well thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Just a random wonder. I'm rather happy to see you can be gone for X amount of hours, and in return receive Y amount of responses. Basically: The forums are very much alive, and the community is extremely into the game. Love it. I eat it up. Nom nom nom. :lol:

Thanks for all of everybody's time to help answer this, much appreciated.

Thanks Again,
-Jerico