Online Translators / Auflinien Übersetzer

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Faladron

Online Translators / Auflinien Übersetzer

Post by Faladron »

Original:

Ich möchte eine kleine Beobachtung zur Diskussion stellen.
In letzter Zeit finden sich häufig englischsprachige/deutschsprachige Spieler, die Online-Übersetzungsprogramme dafür verwenden ihr Charakterprofil / Beiträge auf dem Forum / oder auch im Spiel selbst Emotes mit Hilfe dieser Online-Übersetzungsprogramme schreiben.

Ein Online-Übersetzer kann nicht die Feinheiten die eine Sprache ausmachen, die kleinen Details 1:1 übersetzen, da dies von einer Sprache zur anderen kaum jemals wirklich möglich ist.

Vielmehr kann es eine erste Orientierung dafür sein, worum es in dem vorliegenden Text geht, anderenseits ist es, aufgrund der vielen Fehler die sich durch die automatische Übersetzung zwangsweise einstreuen und einem native-speaker der übersetzten Sprache die Haare zu Berge stehen lassen, manchmal auch mitunter schwer zu lesen.

Ein Potential für Frustrationen besteht weiters durch das falsch verstehen dieser Übersetzungen und sich daraus ergebende Missverständnisse die das Rp beeinflussen können.
Ich habe noch niemanden damit gesehen, aber ich hoffe weiterhin dass kein englischsprachiger/deutschsprachiger Spieler
ein "Ich habe es eh übersetzt warum versteht man mich trotzdem nicht, das nervt" Verhalten entwickelt.

Ich persönlich finde es aber eine gute Sache die das Bemühen um ein miteinander zeigt auch wenn persönliche Sprachbarrieren dem entgegenstehen. Wenn die von mir oben erwähnten Dinge die eine solche Übersetzung kann, beziehungsweise nicht kann, beachtet werden und bekannt sind, spricht nichts gegen den Einsatz von Übersetzern als "Erste Hilfe Pflaster", dass man jede Feinheit und Nuance des Textes der Originalsprache auch in der übersetzten Sprache findet darf man sich allerdings nicht erwarten (und tut auch hoffentlich keiner).

--------------------------------
Translated with g00gle:

I have a small observation for discussion.
Lately, there are often English / German speaking players, the online translation programs to use their character profile / posts on the forum or even in-game emotes through this write-line translation programs.

An online translator can not make out the subtleties of a language to translate 1:1 the small details, as this from one language to another, hardly ever is actually possible.

Rather, it may be an initial guide to what is in this text goes to another page, which is due to the many errors that are forced to pour in through the automatic translation and can be a native-speaker of the translated language of your hair stands on end, sometimes sometimes difficult to read.

A potential for further frustration of this issue through the wrong translations and influence resulting misunderstandings which the Rp can understand.
I have not seen anyone doing that, but I continue to hope that no English language / German players
an "I have translated it anyway I still do not understand why that annoying" behavior developed.

I personally think it's a good thing but the shows together to push for an even personal language barriers militate against it. When I mentioned things that such a translation may or may not be respected and known, there is nothing against the use of translators as "first aid patch" that we all subtlety and nuance of the text of the original language and in the translated language is one must not expect, however (and hopefully do not).
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

g00gle:

Ich möchte eine kleine Bemerkung zur Diskussion zu veröffentlichen.
In letzter Zeit mehr und mehr Englisch / Deutsch sprechenden Spieler scheinen Online-Übersetzer benutzen, um ihren Charakter-Profile übersetzen / Pfosten / oder auch Emotes im Spiel selbst, um ihre Schriften zu übersetzen Deutsch / Englisch.

Ein Online-Übersetzer kann nicht erkennen, die Feinheiten und kleinen Dinge, die eine Sprache, die kleinen Details in einem Gesichtsausdruck darstellen kann kaum 1:1 übersetzt werden.

Auf der einen Seite, Online-übersetzten Texte kann eine gute Sache, eine erste fühlen, was ein Text ist zu erhalten, auf der anderen Seite
den vielen Fehlern und Irrtümern eine automatisierte Übersetzung kommt mit make Muttersprachlern der Sprache übersetzt kriechen, und die Übersetzungen selbst schwer zu lesen.

Frustration kann auch vom Verständnis für die Übersetzung in gewisser Weise war es nicht beabsichtigt, sich weiter entwickeln und die Missverständnisse, dass die RP, weil dieser beeinflussen könnten.
Ich habe noch niemanden gesehen, doch das würde devolped haben eine "Why don't you understand me? Ich das überhaupt übersetzen, dass ist frustrierend!" Haltung und ich hoffe, niemand ist in der Zukunft.

In "meine persönliche Meinung Ich glaube, es ist eine gute Sache zeigt, dass gute Wille, dieses Spiel zusammen spielen, könnte eventhough persönlichen Sprachbarrieren machen es schwieriger für die Menschen in einer Sprache oder der anderen zu sprechen.
Ich glaube, dass, wenn die oben genannten Dinge sind zu berücksichtigen, Online-Übersetzer können als "Erste-Hilfe-Kit", aber nicht mehr eingesetzt werden könnten. Sie können nicht erwarten, alle kleinen Details eines Textes auf die andere übersetzt finden perfekt (und hoffentlich niemand tut).

---------------------------------------

Original

I want to post a little observation for discussion.
Lately more and more english/german speaking players seem to use online-translators to translate their character profiles / board posts / or even emotes in the game itself to translate their writings to german/english.

An online-translator can not make out the subtleties and little things that constitute one language, the little details in one's expression can hardly ever be translated 1:1.

On the one hand, online-translated texts can be a good thing to get a first feel about what a text is about, on the other hand
the many mistakes and errors an automated translation comes along with make native speakers of the translated language cringe, and the translations themselves hard to read.

Frustration may also evolve from understanding the translation in a way it was not intended, and the missunderstandings that might influence the RP because of that.
I have not seen anyone yet that would have devolped a "Why don't you understand me? I translated this anyway, that's frustrating!" attitude and I hope nobody does in future.

In my personal opinion I believe it's a good thing that shows good-will to play this game together, eventhough personal language barriers might make it harder for people to talk in one language or the other.
I believe that if the things mentioned above are taken into consideration, online-translators can be used as a "first aid kit" but nothing more. You can't expect to find all little details of one text translated to the other perfectly (and hopefully nobody does).
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

If people are trying to translate their emotes so other language speakers can read them ingame, I guess that's what they want to do. I know a lot of the German speakers know English, and I would guess very few of the English speakers know German. I think us non-German language speakers should at least learn a few important and popular phrases for ingame use.

e.g.

ENGLISH ------------------------------------- ----- GERMAN

Greetings ---------------- Grube
Hello ------------------- Hallo
#me smiles---------------
#me frowns----------------
I don't understand you.--------------
#me nods.------------------
#me shakes his head.-----------------
#me draws a weapon.--------------------
Help!

Stuff like that? Perhaps it would be nice to have a translation sticky somewhere on the forum? That way you can keep the forum window open whilst playing with other language speakers? Just an idea I guess.
Aelorn

Post by Aelorn »

Arvemor wrote:Greetings ---------------- Grube
Actually, it's Grüße, not Grube. Grube means pit. :lol: I realise that you can't write this word since non-German keyboards lack the ü and ß. However, you can write it as "Gruesse".
Pterry

Post by Pterry »

Aelorn wrote:I realise that you can't write this word since non-German keyboards lack the ü and ß. However, you can write it as "Gruesse".
You can get the umlaut and the ß on a non-German keyboard. You just have to know how. On a Mac, the umlaut is OPTION + U and then the vowel you want the umlaut to crown. The ß is OPTION + s. On a PC? I don't know. Probably ALT + something.
Aelorn

Post by Aelorn »

You're right of course. The following shortcuts can be used in MS Windows:

ü: Alt + 129 or Alt + 0252

ß: Alt+225 or Alt+0223

You have to use the numeric keypad for this to work. The problem is that your char will walk around when you press 4, 8, 6 or 2.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

But...both of those have those numbers in them. Grüße!

Hey look, I did it! :D

Okay, I'm going to write up a list of some things that I think might be important for both languages to be able to write, just in case. If anyone wouldn't mind translating these just one more time, I'd be extremely grateful.
Elias S.

Post by Elias S. »

Using two s or even only one instead of ß and ue / ae / oe for ü / ä / ö is perfectly fine, no one will blame anyone for that.

My mother tongue is German and I have always used http://dict.leo.org/ when playing Illarion. It helped a lot, I got utterly fast in looking up words parallel to typing ingame and learned a lot of new vocabulary. Leo doesn't built the syntax for you of course, but most other online translators like Google screw up every second word.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Elias S. wrote:Using two s or even only one instead of ß and ue / ae / oe for ü / ä / ö is perfectly fine, no one will blame anyone for that.

My mother tongue is German and I have always used http://dict.leo.org/ when playing Illarion. It helped a lot, I got utterly fast in looking up words parallel to typing ingame and learned a lot of new vocabulary. Leo doesn't built the syntax for you of course, but most other online translators like Google screw up every second word.
Only thing I'd like to add with using online dictionaries: For some reason they always come up with archaic or obscure words. So even when using a dictionary, watch out! ;)

Mesha
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

i am putting some effort into actually learning German.. i know a lil but not enough..

recently i tried translating an npc using google.. it um sorta worked.. but since i wasn't sure.. i asked another player to do it the old fashioned way.. i hope it all turns out good i know a translator but currently she is in Belgium not here.. and her son admits he's not as good at German as he is French and dutch.. dutch is his native language..