Alignments

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Alignments

Post by Alexander Knight »

I was sat down on my lunch break from work today and was thinking how much Alex has changed over the time I've played Illarion.
Originally he started off as a pretty nice guy with the acception of stealing someones wife.
Then I thought what he has become...

Have you had a similar experience of alignment change?

If unsure take a look at the quotes
Lawful Good

Lawful Good is known as the "Saintly" or "Crusader" alignment. A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion, and always with honor and a sense of duty. A Lawful Good nation would consist of a well-organized government that works for the benefit of its citizens. Lawful Good characters include righteous knights, paladins, and most dwarves. Lawful Good creatures include the noble golden dragons. Lawful Good outsiders are known as Archons.

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict - for example, upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm - or conflicts between two orders, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler.

In the Complete Scoundrel sourcebook Batman, Dick Tracy and Indiana Jones are cited as examples of lawful good character

Neutral Good

Neutral Good is known as the "Benefactor" alignment. A Neutral Good character is guided by his conscience and typically acts altruistically, without regard for or against Lawful precepts such as rules or tradition. A Neutral Good character has no problems with co-operating with lawful officials, but does not feel beholden to them. In the event that doing the right thing requires the bending or breaking of rules, they do not suffer the same inner conflict that a Lawful Good character would. A doctor who treats soldiers from both sides in a war could be considered Neutral Good.

Examples of Neutral Good characters include Zorro, and Spider-Man.[7] The Neutral Good outsiders are known as Guardinals.

haotic Good

Chaotic Good is known as the "Beatific," "Rebel," or "Cynic" alignment. A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well. They always intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganised and often out of alignment with the rest of society. They have no use for those who would try to push them around and tell them what to do.

While they do not have evil intentions, they often do bad things (even if they do not necessarily enjoy doing these things) to people who are, in their views, bad people if it benefits their goal of achieving a greater good. Most elves are Chaotic Good, as are some fey.

Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly, and Robin Hood are examples of Chaotic Good individuals.[7] Eladrin are the outsider race representing Chaotic Good.

Lawful Neutral

Lawful Neutral is called the "Judge" or "Disciplined" alignment. A Lawful Neutral character typically believes strongly in Lawful concepts such as honor, order, rules and tradition, and often follows a personal code. A Lawful Neutral society would typically enforce strict laws to maintain social order, and place a high value on traditions and historical precedent. Examples of Lawful Neutral characters might include a soldier who always follows orders, a judge or enforcer that adheres mercilessly to the word of the law, a disciplined monk.

Characters of this alignment are neutral with regard to good and evil. This does not mean that Lawful Neutral characters are amoral or immoral, or do not have a moral compass; but simply that their moral considerations come a distant second to what their code, tradition or law dictates. They typically have a strong ethical code, but it is primarily guided by their system of belief, not by a commitment to good or evil.

James Bond, Odysseus, and Sanjuro from Yojimbo are considered by Complete Scoundrel as Lawful Neutral.[7] Three exemplars of Lawful Neutral outsiders exist. These are the Formians, the Inevitables and the Modrons.

Neutral

Neutral alignment, also referred to as True Neutral or Neutral Neutral, is called the "Undecided" or "Nature's" alignment. This alignment represents Neutral on both axes, and tends not to feel strongly towards any alignment. A farmer whose primary overriding concern is to feed his family is of this alignment. Most animals, lacking the capacity for moral judgement, are of this alignment. Many roguish characters who play all sides to suit themselves are also of this alignment.

Some Neutral characters, rather than feeling undecided, are committed to a balance between the alignments. They may see good, evil, law and chaos as simply prejudices and dangerous extremes. Mordenkainen is one such character who takes this concept to the extreme, dedicating himself to a detached philosophy of neutrality to ensure that no one alignment or power takes control of the Flanaess.

Druids frequently follow this True Neutral dedication to balance, and under Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules were required to be this alignment. In an example given in a D&D rulebook[citation needed], a typical druid might fight against a band of marauding gnolls, only to switch sides to save the gnoll's clan from being totally exterminated.

Lara Croft, Lucy Westenra from Dracula and Han Solo in his early Star Wars appearance are neutral.[7] The true neutral outsiders are known as the Rilmani.

Chaotic Neutral

Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment. A character of this alignment is an individualist who follows his or her own heart, and generally shirks rules and traditions. Good and Evil come a distant second to their need for personal freedom, and the only reliable thing about them is how totally unreliable they are. They typically act out of self-interest, but do not specifically enjoy seeing others suffer. Many free-spirited adventurers are of this alignment. Alternatively there are madmen whose actions are chaotic, but are not themselves inclined towards evil.

An unusual subset of Chaotic Neutral is "strongly Chaotic Neutral", describing a character who behaves chaotically to the point of appearing insane. Characters of this type may regularly change their appearance and attitudes for the sake of change, and intentionally disrupt organizations for the sole reason of disrupting a lawful construct. Characters of this type include the Xaositects from the Planescape setting, and Hennet from the third edition Player's Handbook. In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Chaotic Neutral was frequently assumed to refer to this subset.

Captain Jack Sparrow, Al Swearengen from the TV series Deadwood, and Snake Plissken from Escape from New York are Chaotic Neutral characters according to Complete Scoundrel.[7] Slaadi represent pure chaos.

Lawful Evil

Lawful Evil is referred to as the "Dominator" or "Diabolic" alignment. Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

Like Lawful Good Paladins, Lawful Evil characters may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or evil when the two conflict - however their issues with Law versus Evil are more concerned with "Will I get caught?" vs "How does this benefit me?"

Boba Fett of Star Wars, and X-Men's Magneto are cited examples of Lawful Evil characters.[7] The Lawful Evil outsiders are known as Baatezu (Devils).

Neutral Evil

Neutral Evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it. They abide by laws for only as long as it is convenient for them. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since he is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

Examples are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind his superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer.

Complete Scoundrel cites X-Men's Mystique, and Sawyer of the early seasons of Lost as Neutral Evil characters.[7] Yugoloths (Daemons) are the multiversal representatives of Neutral Evil.

Chaotic Evil

Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other peoples' lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in a group, as they resent being given orders, and usually only behave themselves out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for a Chaotic Evil character to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do however enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil.

According to the Complete Scoundrel sourcebook, Carl Denham from the 2005 remake of King Kong and Riddick from Pitch Black are Chaotic Evil.[7] The exemplars of chaotic evil are the Tanar'ri (Demons).
Llama

Post by Llama »

I find it amazing that you can describe how a person will act in all situations with only 9 possibilities.

Lets face it 'alignment' is a broken thing which doesn't explain anything.
Alexander Knight

But I am on about basic representative of the character Llama.
Tialdin

Post by Tialdin »

This Alignement System is from D&D.

And its not really a good system.

People have Objectives and Methods.

And wheter it is evil or good is only
a thing of the Approach.

And who call himself as an evil person?
Only Psychopaths.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Hmm when i first started with Serry the plan was a nice little hobbit then I found you make hardly any money that way :lol:

I'd put myself down to Chaotic Neutral mainly due to the fact madness is more fun, but he ain't going to go on a killing spree just yt :wink:
Salathe

Re: Alignments

Post by Salathe »

Alexander Knight wrote:Have you had a similar experience of alignment change?
You have no idea.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Salathe wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote:Have you had a similar experience of alignment change?
You have no idea.
I still remember happy cheerful Salathe who gave us all icebirds.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

I don´t think it is a bad system if you want to give a rough overview over how someone does think.
Surely it barely does cover the characteristics and views of that someone but that is not what it is meant for.

To Topic:

Only Orfin, my first real illa-char from 3 or 4 years ago had a change in alignment. chaotic good -> lawful neutral
The other two main chars did have no grave change in mind.
They did stay just as they were at the beginning if using the d&d-scheme: chaotic neutral the second one and lawful good the third.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Alexander Knight wrote: Have you had a similar experience of alignment change?
Not once. Always remained Lawful Good.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Darlok wrote:
:shock:

Occasionally but due to some RP reason in the game which may or may not be permanent.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Darlok wrote:
*Cackle*
Flux

Post by Flux »

What, making a 90° angle with the axis running through the centre of Earth?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Flux wrote:What, making a 90° angle with the axis running through the centre of Earth?
That is actually incorrect. The 'axis running through the centre of the earth' which is a 'sphere' can be multiple planes.

Also - 90 degrees is rather off as well
Flux

Post by Flux »

I mean from Matt to the centre of Earth.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Stop ruining Alex's/Ryan's topic!

So long as the system is used as a guide, rather than rules or whatever, it's fine.
I personally see your character as Chaotic Good. And maybe a little Evil sometimes. (Manipulation, and ordering Sylmare to kill some poor, gorillarish orc.) Although, I've only ever seen Alexander "on the job."

Krazen started as Nuetral then Chaotic Evil, and changed to Lawful Good, after being treated nicely, and being offered a position in a guild. In fact, even though he doesn't actually work for the prince, he still patrols Bane. :)

Perry - Lawful Good

Jeyna - Chaotic Evil... :twisted:

And there's more who I don't really care for.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

My characters are usually Lawful Awesome or Chaotic Stupid. In other words: Such an alignment system is not really suitable for characters. I mean, what are YOU IRL? Lawful neutral or what? And what would the Taliban consider you? It is all a matter of perspective.

Continue the dick-discussion somewhere else, please.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

I think the system is considered out of the view of the person it does describe.
The "good/evil"-thing mainly stands for how much one is focused on oneself minus the cruelty and other not quite normal tastes
while lawful/chaotic tells how much one is concerned about the own rules and how predictable ones actions are.

So a fanatic rebel standing to his beliefs and the rules of his faith and not eating pork would be lawful good, tough some other guys consider him something like the evil itself.
The real me would be quite lawful neutral. Believing that laws and rules have a reason, thinking much of myself, though disliking cruel stuff and such.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Funnily enough, I really have no idea whether I've lawful evil or chaotic good. Think I must be a bit bipolar.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Alexander Knight wrote: Chaotic Neutral

Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment.
Orgis wrote: I'd put myself down to Chaotic Neutral mainly due to the fact madness is more fun, but he ain't going to go on a killing spree just yt :wink:
Yeah.. Seredoc Freespirit being chaotic neutral makes sense... :D

Iris is neutral good.
Pterry

Post by Pterry »

I often have a D&D alignment in mind when I create a character, but it never quite sticks, and the characters become harder to categorize as they take on personalities of their own. I myself am pretty obviously Neutral Good (a fact confirmed by a Facebook quiz I took once), as is/was Tikir. (In fact, Tikir's personality was a little too much just my own personality, which eventually made him not that fun to play.) As for my other characters, no alignment really fits.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I'm neutral, I go both ways.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Pellandria wrote:I go both ways.
.. As we're all unfortunately well aware.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Sonara Stone wrote:
Alexander Knight wrote: Chaotic Neutral

Chaotic Neutral is called the "Anarchist" or "Free Spirit" alignment.
Orgis wrote: I'd put myself down to Chaotic Neutral mainly due to the fact madness is more fun, but he ain't going to go on a killing spree just yt :wink:
Yeah.. Seredoc Freespirit being chaotic neutral makes sense... :D
:lol: didn't even notice that me self :lol:
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

as for mine, i could never try to give them an alignment. i honestly dont know them well enough :lol:

One second they will be oh... being the main figure for protecting people... the next organizing underground rebellions that i keep forgetting to go back to setting up.... 8)
Alexander Knight

Estralis Seborian wrote:My characters are usually Lawful Awesome or Chaotic Stupid. In other words: Such an alignment system is not really suitable for characters. I mean, what are YOU IRL? Lawful neutral or what?
Chaotic neutral i would think :) I get the job done even if it means breaking the rules, the same goes for Alex
Continue the dick-discussion somewhere else, please.
now now less of the childish comment, just because its not what you like doesnt mean its a bad topic... I would expect more from a GM :P
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Alvis can be considered as belonging to a couple different alignments, depending on what he's doing at the moment. He could range from chaotic neutral to neutral good... or occasionally even lawful evil (wink wink, nudge nudge to those that would know). But no matter what his motives on the inside, he always strives for outward neutrality.

Historically in games that use this alignment system, I have played the Chaotic Good alignment.
Last edited by Thrym on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

i would just like to say i think this is a decent post by alex. because despite being a D&D copy and paste job it helps give some players a new way of looking at their characters, and gives a general outline to help give them some ideas of where they might lie.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I disagree with that statement, the D&D approach always seemed rather faulty to me, because a human being is not "chaotic" out of some born in reason of him being chaotic, every normal human decides upon his experiences, fears, strong points, interest and so on, squeezing that into a few paths doesn't give the player enough choices, because would a chaotic char ever do something lawful or would a lawful char always and to no time ever think of lieing to secure the lives of other people?

There are actually no true lawful or chaotic chars or however you want to call them, because a human being and in the end of the day the goal of a roleplay is to imitate another being, is much more complex than just some basic guidelines, of course producing stereotypes, which is the only reason this silly lawful, chaotic and neutral stuff exists to begin with, to grasp the full concept behind something is far to long to do, so you crystallise certain moral applications to this and bam you got instant alignment.

Funny enough good chars are never called out for taking lives of a thousand beasts, hundreds of just usual creatures, who might just live in day and night and just because they are considered "evil", they are free to be slaughtered, while on the other side we got a evil emperor, who just can hurt one person and he is a tyrant.

So to cut it short, I think any alignment is simply devastating to a char, because you decide on experience..and experience do not create
alignment.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Pellandria wrote:Angry unnecessary rant.
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Tirrend was something like neutral when I made him, then became chaotic neutral.. now he's around the lawful good thing, being a knight and all( although he isn't too serious about it )

Joseph is usually chaotic good or neutral good, depending on how I feel that particular day..