Remove weight from the lookat description

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mesha

Remove weight from the lookat description

Post by Mesha »

I have a better idea.

Why not remove the weight entirely. Its not like it makes much of a difference anyway. If I want to create a fat person I will just...

#me is a chubby person, he has flaps of fat dangling over his clothes.

Simple.

There are a few cases where mechanics and roleplay face off against each other. Given that the weight is static, and that:

1. it can be roleplayed
2. Most characters are fat because they misused/misunderstood the weights or the ratios are incorrect.

I propose that its removed.
It is a hell to balance it correctly (or at least, I presume it is, since there are so many variables), and serves, at this time, no purpose whatsoever. We can keep weight for semantic purposes, but remove it from the lookat description.

Thoughts?
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

Couldn't it be limited completly to weight and size? Without involving strength?

Or simply make one description for weight, one for strength. Like "He is a slim man with welltrained muscles" or "He is quite fat and appears weak aswell"

Weight shouldnt be a problem. Humans ideal weight is heigth - 100 in kilogram. Means someone 180 cm should be 80 kilo heavy. Elfs would be maybe heigth - 120, dwarfs heigth - 80.

Or give it a range. Like anything is ideal weight which is heigth - 100 (120 elfs, 80 dwarfs, and so on) + strength.

So someone with 180 cm and 16 strength could be 80 - 96 Kilogramm heavy without looking fat. More weight would mean looking more fat, less weight means looking underweight, or athletic if the strength is above 12 or 14. Cause even if someone 180 cm tall has just 50 or 60 kg but alot of muscles wont look underweight but athletic.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Weight shouldnt be a problem. Humans ideal weight is heigth - 100 in kilogram. Means someone 180 cm should be 80 kilo heavy. Elfs would be maybe heigth - 120, dwarfs heigth - 80.
If we want to keep it, we should use the BMI conversion. Everything between 20-25 is normal, 18-20 is thin, 18- is underweight, 25+ is overweight, 30+ is obese.
Llama

Post by Llama »

BMI isn't so perfect anyway.

For a start, BMI doesn't take strenght into consideration. So Arnie and some guy who watches tv all day would both be 'fat'

Secondly, races mean that you'd need to tweak the ratio. A fat dwarf would be much heavier than a fat elf.

I think it more trouble than its worth for a feature like this. Height is fun and interesting, because it actualy shows, and you have an absolute slider so you can't go wrong. But weight - all it does is allow you to call people fat who intended for them to be thin. Meh.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I like the idea of simply removing it or ignoring it for now, since all seem to be concentrating on other issues and...sounding like a broken record "Wait for the VBU" :D
Llama

Post by Llama »

Or we could ask Dji to redo it :P He should be good at that sort of thing ;)

Removing it won't take much effort, just removing a line of code or so.
maryday

((counting ribs or checkxxxn..ary?)) :surprised:

Post by maryday »

*Wears old, worn down boots and is unshaven beyond those two pairs of loose torn socks, her moms garters,
the clothen pants and the leather dress below a layer of rags,
while thinking of..*

nutrition stat`?
yes? :D
*Huddles into her robes, striding on,
muttering incomprehensible words while undoing knots in her hair.*

---
((Maybe some kind of comparison to the "examining..ed" char?))
"Oh what bluish teint i had if seen through a mirror...and how lovely desireable this nice, fuming fresh pie looks like,
as i lick snowflakes off my lips.*

((Not removing,
yet developing sys towards mr..erm..molething..stuff..thing?)):o
Already in? :oops:
Llama

Post by Llama »

maryday, a large portion of the players can't post here anymore in an attempt to keep spam and useless posts off this forum.

You're not helping at all.

If you want to roleplay being mentally unstable, create a mentally unstable character and play IG - otherwise keep your drivel to yourself.
maryday

Re: ((counting ribs or checkxxxn..ary?)) :surprised:

Post by maryday »

maryday wrote: ...Maybe some kind of comparison to the "Examined" char, projected from the point of the "Examining"?
On second thought, removing the concerning part of the text message seems a nice idea,
as its mechanic could be included into an overall wealth function?

So i propose redoing it into something individual and less objective,
rather then removing it entirely.

to the furry thing there:
Yet i fail to see the point in your post.
SRY for my disperceptive ways.