Random monster messages

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Random monster messages

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Fellow Illarionites,
in order to enhance the athmosphere of Illarion, a new feature needs you support. Some of you might know that, for testing purposes, mummies sometimes yell for "Brains!".

We plan to expand this feature to all monsters. Each monster race shall have a set of auto messages they speak or emote. These messages will only appear rarely, much less often than the current auto emotes of NPCs. Also, by writing a high number of fitting messages, they will not repeat over and over again. And this is where I need your support!

For each monster race (mummies, demons,...) we need at least ten messages in german and english. [Edit] Just write down the messages without any need for special code in both languages.

Please avoid the following:

-Localisation; each monster can appear anywhere and thus, an elf should not yell "Get out of my forest!" or similar
-Jokes. One humorous message each monster race is OK, but not more.
-Messages that cannot be repeated, like "#me cuts off her pony tail and screams."
-Messages that make no sense during Illarion melee like "#me runs away." or "#me casts a spell."
-Race/gender/situation depending messages like "#me approaches the human male while it crawls over the dungeon floor."
-Bad spelling, caps,...

Good messages are battlecries, challenges, insults, generic emotes or general yelling like "Vorsicht!","Verboten!","Alarm!" ;-). The more, the merrier, ten messages each race are the total minimum.

Keep in mind that the messages are all the same for a race of monsters, a human necromancer will say the same as a human bandit. Also, never will these messages depend on who is around, like insulting female elves with other swears as orc males.

How can you help? Grab a race and fill in the messages! Post here which race you'll take, first come, first see. Only take one race if you really want to work on this within the next few days. You can also team up with a translator if you are not able to write in english or german.

I am curious and excited about your results, fellow Illarionites. Let's work together to make this game a better one!

Yours,
GM Estralis
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 am, edited 8 times in total.
Estralis Seborian

Thanks to everyone so far! I collected all submitted messages and created a spreadsheet. You can download it here:

(see below)

There are still some races pending: Demon skeletons, Elementaries, Elves, Forest trolls, Scorpions, Skulls and Stone Golems. Other races could use expansion and/or some more fitting messages.

I thank you so much, Illarionites. There are still some miles to go, but the main chunk of work is done. Let us finish what remains together! Just edit the spreadsheet and send the result to: estralis@illarion.org
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estralis Seborian

To answer a frequently asked question: You can, of course, still write down the monster messages without using the spreadsheet and send them to me or post them here. I just cleaned this topic for the sake of clarity. For the following monsters, messages are missing:
  • Elves
  • Forest trolls
  • Scorpions
  • Skulls
  • Stone golems
But any other race could use messages in addition! You don't have to follow any syntax or layout, just provide the messages in plain text.
Estralis Seborian

Here is a new version of the spreadsheet:

(see below)

My thanks go out to everyone who contributed and especially to HolyKnight and Geralt Devan for their valuable contribution.

There is still plenty white paper in the spreadsheet, whoever finds the time during e.g. a coffee break to write some messages, any help is appreciated!
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I would but I don't have anything to open .xls files with :/
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

http://www.openoffice.org/

Other then that, Estralis said that you can send him the monster messages in any format you like, he'll add it to the file for better overview.
Last edited by Keikan Hiru on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yo, just fixed up all the mistakes etc. in these ones and did the flying skulls.

http://senduit.com/1481a0

I'll do the rest of the missing ones tomorrow but I have my last exam tomorrow.
Estralis Seborian

Thanks a lot!

Here is the most recent version with contributions of GM Zak and Alex Rose:

(see below)

Good job, everyone!
Estralis Seborian

The most recent version:

(see below)

Thanks to Rhianna Morgan and HolyKnight for their valuable contribution.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Estralis Seborian

A new version of the spreadsheet with incremental updates:

(see below)

I'd like to start implementing the random messages, but there are still many messages missing, especially for:

-Elves
-Forest trolls

For many other monsters, translations are missing. Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Estralis Seborian

There are still quite a few monster messages missing. Others need translation. This is the most recent version:

(see below)

If you have any problems downloading or opening the file, drop me a note! If you don't know what to do with a spreadsheet: Write messages in plain text and send them to me!
Estralis Seborian

A new version of the spreadsheet is available. All monsters have now at least ten messages.

(see below)

And proof-reading is both, german and english versions is appreciated. Also, any additional messages are welcome.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian

Awesome, thanks!