Want to Help out Illarion?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Want to Help out Illarion?

Post by Llama »

Want to help out illarion?

You've seen the devs and the GMs spend hours and days of their lives just working to make the game better so that you can enjoy it more. Don't you feel like giving back something in return?

And what better way to give something in return, then to do something that the community (and you) can enjoy it?

Make your own NPCs.

You don't need to know any programming, the language is AMAZINGLY simple to use. Amazingly simple. You can keep the documentation open and you'll be done in an hour.

Just design a few NPCs. Make small, easy to handle quests. Just make an NPC who stands in the wilderness and talks to you a bit about his depressing life. An old lady who asks you to fetch her some food, and in return gives you her dead husband's sword.

Think about it:

You're walking from town to your favourite monster-farming-spot, you see a forest, another forest, some boring grassland, oh look, a path, some more forest.

Wouldn't it be nicer if, while walking, you see a forest, a small house in it, with a man who warns you about something, gives you some item in return for you delivering a package to his friend.

It doesn't have to be complex, it doesn't have to be a difficult 19-part quest involving slaying dragons, ogres and bandits with a wooden sword.

So come on, make a few NPCs. Send them to me if you like (over the IM is preferable but PMs are fine). Lets all help make the game a more interesting, less monotonous place.

And here are the links, so you don't even need to bother looking around:

http://illarion.org/development/us_scripts.php <- script checker/converter
http://illarion.org/development/us_scripts_comm.php <- very very amazingly simple documentation
http://illarion.org/~nitram/npc/ <- 5 simple examples you can get inspired from.
http://illarion.org/~martin/scripting/description.txt <- A more complete list of functions!
Llama

Post by Llama »

25 views, zero replies. I thought you'd all be more supportive of something which will make the game better.

I'm going to be putting a 'leaderboard' of sorts in this thread when I get my first NPCs. If you only speak german or english, don't worry, we'll find someone else to translate them for you.

Even if its just a simple NPC who tells you about his life, his family and his hopes and dreams, it'll still make the game look very interesting, and that sort of NPC can be scripted in less than an hour.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

well, im not very interested in scripting..and making NPC's is quite..boring frankly..and nou i do nooot feel like learning the whole scripting language..sorry :P
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Come on guys, It's so simple even i kinda know how to do it. And thats saying something.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

then 'do' it then :)*fake smile* scripting is, to me at least, boring. And how many NPC's does this game really need? more then a hundred sounds wrong really..BUT if we are talking new and exciting monsters for the Very Big Update i could concider doing some bears, pumas/mountain lions, birds, mooses and the likes....
Llama

Post by Llama »

Oglaf, this is not a disney film, there are no talking puma NPCs ;)

And the more NPCs the better, they make the game look 'alive'. The more 'mini static quests around', also the better. If you've got nothing to do, you can do them for some reward. It'll keep you entertained for a while.

I am talking about SIMPLE.

If you want to have an NPC, which sends you to NPC 2 to deliver a message, and back to NPC1 for rewards, that is in fact, a very valid quest. It'll keep a new player occupied in case there's nobody around.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Oglaf, this is not a disney film, there are no talking puma NPCs ;)

And the more NPCs the better, they make the game look 'alive'. The more 'mini static quests around', also the better. If you've got nothing to do, you can do them for some reward. It'll keep you entertained for a while.

I am talking about SIMPLE.

If you want to have an NPC, which sends you to NPC 2 to deliver a message, and back to NPC1 for rewards, that is in fact, a very valid quest. It'll keep a new player occupied in case there's nobody around.
who the bloody 'ell sayd annyfing 'bout talkin' pumas? i just think a real life hunter like my self would give those NPC's a propper reaction to humans approaching and such :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

I don't think we're on the same page here.

I'm talking about NPCs - the things you talk to, not the ones you bash their head in with giant waraxes. If you want to write texts for MONSTERS to shout out/emote while getting their head bashed in with the afore-mentioned giant waraxes, you're in the wrong thread, see Estralis' thread for that.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Do i want to help Illarion?

Nah
Llama

Post by Llama »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:Do i want to help Illarion?

Nah
Then get out of my thread. Simple
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Oh hey I don't feel like doing any more stuff as well. I think I just drop that.

Seriously. If you do not want to do anything, then don't spam that topic. If you want to help, you can write some useful comments in here. If you don't you can just smile off.

Nitram
Alexander Knight

Meh suit yaselfs

I'll try give ya a hand as best as i can Llama face.
Send me a few ideas you have for NPC's and I'll try sort something out.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Is it any use to place "trade" merchants in the game as it is...I mean withthe vbu we got to rewritte them all don't we?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Pellandria wrote:Is it any use to place "trade" merchants in the game as it is...I mean withthe vbu we got to rewritte them all don't we?
Because of the changes in armour/weapon/whatever stats, and the differences in their price and materials to make it, I would not suggest you make trading mechants, because then their price and goods would need to be changed.

So I recommend you keep it simple. Don't worry, if the reward is too big, we'll change it, you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

What Illarion really needs are static quests. There can't be enough of them because that brings fun into the game even if only a few people are online and it also helps new players to get some stuff in the start without the boring fishing.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I just sent Alexander Knight 3 NPC ideas at his request. If you really want to help out but you don't have any ideas what to script, just talk to me and I'll give you some ideas.

Also, if anyone in the community has some great quest NPC ideas, but is too lazy to do it himself, you can post the idea here, and someone might pick it up and write it.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I've been meaning to make a few NPCs for a while. Once my exams are over (This Thursday woooo :D) then I'll do 'em.
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

If it really is that simple, I'll try it when I can. I know how scripting works for the most part so it shouldn't be a problem. It'll feel great to give something back.
Alexander Knight

I'll send you one of my simple scripts on MSN later, It's really easy dude
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Or just look at Nitram's scripts which don't have people allcapsing at you for taking your name in vain.
Alexander Knight

XD shush, Well i was going to send him my sweet old librarian one but the resistance fighter might be better.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

I need the item code for beer mug.
Llama

Post by Llama »

EDIT:
1908 is the empty beer mug
1909 is the full one

You can just write "Beer mug" and the dev who'll correct it will sort it out for you. For next time ;)

ADDED: it just occured to me that there are 4 items marked as 'beer mug' -_- Just write 'beer mug' and we'll sort it out.

Ah ok: They show various levels of 'drunk' beer
Alexander Knight

First off Nitrams Scripts are buggy ;) Don't use them.

But heres the general jist.

"<Trigger>",<Language>->"<Reaction>"

E.G

"Hello",english->"Ermm... Hello do i know you?"
"Gutten tag",german->"<random german text>"

Quests are just as easy.

"Quest",english, queststatus=0->"You want to earn some money? Go get me 10 serinjah swords", queststatus=1

"Swords",english, queststatus=1->Item(<Serinjahsword>, All)>10->"thank you.", deleteitem(<Serinjah sword>,10), money+100, inform "he snatches the swords off you", queststatus=2

"Swords", queststatus=2->"I have my swords so go away", queststatus=2
"quest", queststatus=2->"I have my swords so go away", queststatus=2

Item(<Serinjahsword>, All) The all means where you have the item, it can be changed for "hand", "belt" or "bag"

>10->"thank you.", deleteitem(<Serinjah sword>,10) The numbers represent amounts.

Thats pretty much it.

Useful links:

http://illarion.org/~nitram/npc/

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25012

http://illarion.org/development/us_scripts_comm.php

http://illarion.org/development/us_scripts.php

With the items ask for the item code from a GM/Dev

EDIT: Opps forgot the quality bit. Can you sort it out Ardian while i go get some food :)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Updated the first post with another link.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alex, could you kindly stop posting snippets of code, thank you. Instead feel free to write as many NPCs as you like. Bonus points if they don't try to cut off your tongue :)

ADDED: Also you have two mistakes in your code over there. And you can check for race, no need for language.
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: So I recommend you keep it simple. Don't worry, if the reward is too big, we'll change it, you don't have to worry about that sort of thing.
My actually scripted npc is allready beyond "simple" actions I think, but I choose a bad time to do him i guess, completting him with prices and everything else will simply be useless now, but I could jsut make the shell and include it afterwards.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Right, so absolutely nothing came out of this.

I thought you guys actually wanted to help the game... which you yourself play.

Always on the first line to critise when somebody does something you don't like - always at the back when you have to do work yourselves. Go figure.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Welcome to Reality (tm). I assume that those who invented the simple NPC scripting language spent more time with that than players actually spent time for creating NPCs with it...

It is so simple. Do not think about great, fancy quests with dungeons, levers, illusion doors and that stuff. Think about such things:

The Patrol
Task: Patrol the area around a settlement for a set time and report to NPCs at waypoints

The Delivery
Task: Bring an item (pell, book, money) to a contact person in a different town
Modifications: Ambush along the way, multiple deliveries in a row, fake contact person intercepting the delivery,...

The Strike
Task: A monster (bandit, gnoll,...) has robbed an item of a peaceful character. Smash it!

The Festival
Task: For a banquet, food and bewerages are needed. Provide them!
Modifications: A 2nd festival might try to buy the stuff for a higher price

The Blessing
Task: A paladin asks for a good deed (smashing some monsters). Upon completion, the hero receives a blessing (push).
Modifications: Evil paladins might ask for bad deeds - deeds fitting each god are possible (Bragon: Burn stuff!)

The Ritual
Task: A priest needs help for preparing a ritual
Modifications: As above, many deeds are possible, depending on the god (pour water on the soil, plant a tree, arrange some flowers,...)

The Search
Task: An item was lost (wedding ring, necklace, magical book,...). Find it!

The Message
Task: Deliver a message to a certain person.
Modifications: Depending on the accuracy of the complicated message, the 2nd person could send the hero to a 3rd person, with the message becoming more and more complicated until the hero fails

The Chase
Task: A prisoner, e.g. a halfling thief, has fled. Find him!
Modification: Prisoner might be innocent or trying to bribe the hero

The Butcher
Task: A butcher needs ham for selling. Beat up some pigs!

The Sacrifize
Task: For a ritual, a priest needs something to sacrifize. Bring it!

The Plea from beyond
Task: A spirit asks for a deed, to be fulfilled so he can rest in peace
Modification: Tell a woman that the spirit loved her, tell of all the bad deeds the spirit has done and tell the victim how sorry he is, undo bad deeds by e.g. giving back stuff, hidden under a tree root,...

The Spy
Task: A secret society meets. Drop an ear and report!

Or whatever. Just don't script NPCs that will only help your very own deserted hucksville or secret guild nobody ever heard of.

Anyway, whoever is unsure about whether a quest idea can be scripted or not, feel free to contact me or any other developer. Rule of thumb: The more simple, the better.