Injuries and today's events

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I'll add to what was said previously about roleplay:

If you receive a wound out of a engine based Player Versus Player fight which has been enacted with Rp involved,
you should roleplay some sort of consequence.

However that does not mean in my opinion that everytime your health drops to low whilst sparring with another player you have to rp looking like pin-cushion. :wink:

In that case roleplaying "exhaustion" also works in my eyes. You sparred and exercised, you'll need a break, after which you can continue again.

If however you combat seriously (duell with grave background, battles, wars) and get roughed up / clouded that should show in your roleplay for some days after the battle.

On the other hand I tend to ignore wounds and not roleplay them if I received them from fighting NPCs alone (Did a tree in the woods with noone around realy fall down?) / receive them on a peaceful character due to poor Rp / Newbie rampage.

Acting out wounds received by NPC's whilst fighting them in a group should be at the discreetion of the player(s) involved.
Fighters usualy fight NPC's every other day so Rp-ing injuries after every encounter might become tedious and boring after a while.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Well the fun for everyone thing, is maybe something you can never reach. Still its a good thing to try and to aim at so at least the "most" involved players have fun at the created situation. And if you want to limit your conflicts to nothing but some PvP battles, I have to say that this is really poor from the roleplay point of view and hopefully not fine with all involved. The idea of Illarion is that you are actually doing some roleplay. And not just sample a bunch of people and attack someone.

@H.Banestone:
I did not say that you have to meet with your enemy and dance with them around to fire with happy music. I did not even say that you have to bother with them. Its fine to retreat after you got beaten and roleplay with your beaten up party. But when a battle is over you should accept that it is over. PvP is a minor part of a proper conflict and for your "enemies" its absolutly no fun if the ones you are fighting keep returning faster then you can kill them. And a battle over a few hour is in Illarion honestly nothing but boring. A fast and intense battle over 10min is perfectly fine. But what is everything beyond? Standing around and switching targets from time to time, real fun...
Winning at all costs leads to nothing but problems after all.

Nitram
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Well personally from that i dont think anyone should cough up blood as we were attacked by mages and there for should be burnt.
But i just really wanted to say Cromwells ideas are AMAZING, i mean this is one idea i would honestly do anything to see implemented. It will add depth, good RP and believability to the chars
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Alli Zelos wrote:To point something out, while we're getting technical:

1)Two people sparring would not be using sharpened blades... It's simply not done.

2)People would not be running around the battlefield in full, solid plate armor.

3)Orcs, Lizards, Elves, Gnomes, Fairies, Drows, etc. did not exist.

As you can see, Illarion is not quite historically accurate.

... I do agree, though. Let's stop with the uber, invincible warriors. Let's see how many apple trees we can plant on the island instead, eh? ;)
ehm..yes they would...yes i know this is trolling or something but, you know...warriors would run around in fullplate and fighting back in the days :P *points to the zweihander of Rome* tha's roiiit ah saids it..and did i miss a big fight or something? :P and havent this whole "role play your injuries better, because i do" discussion been had before? and to ad 'my' 1000000 cents: Role Playing injuries for more then 1 hour gets tremendously boring. 'nuff said.
Alexander Knight

Well get an NPC to sell wooden swords which i know we have the stats and avatar for. This would be good to spar with.
Or even better, make branches usable as a weapon :)

As for the RP of injurys... Simple, extend the "you feel weak" time, slow regaining of health when ghosted and make it 24 RL hours :)
Or... Perma death when you die more that 5 times. :twisted:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:Or even better, make branches usable as a weapon :)
You could use boughs to fight with before. If you wanted to train concussion I guess.
Alexander Knight

Well make branches usable as slashing. Or how about a NPC that will sell you wooden swords (Might need someone to show me how to do the item selling and buying,, can't do that much yet)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Why, so you can set them to fight, leave, go get a glass of milk, go do the shopping and when you come back you'd have trained a bit of skills without the risk of dying?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

H.Banestone wrote:Hm, okay. I think I understand what you are saying, Nitram.
So this means, the point of the game is peace and eventual end, not war and battle itself?
So conflicts are not meant to be eternal, but rather conclusive? With ends in someone's permanent victory?
Is war between guilds and organizations not what makes the game go round?
In my whole time at illarion, apart from wars against GMs (as in lich wars, salk war etc.) the wars I have seen are:
Kallahorn Vs. Silverbrand
Caelum Vs. Troll's Bane
This.

So no, war does not make the game go round.

And it rarely solves anything. In our case it actually managed to get one of Caelum in charge of TB but then the GMs shut all the NPCs so there was no point and we backed off and let them have an election.

You fight because you have a disagreement. Generally, after the fight, you still disagree. Just because someone trounced you doesn't mean you want to change to their point of view, in fact it makes you hate them even more. In real war, you kill everyone who disagrees with you, and the few that still disagree are too scared of you to do anything. In illarion, you pk everyone who disagrees with you and then an hour later it may as well not have happened at all because absolutely nothing has changed in terms of what your character is able to do. If your skillz were low enough to get killed in the battle, you probably don't care about those lost skill points anyway.

And it's all very well and good for really sad people with no lives who can sit in the yard all year skilling up their slashing in a game where fighting is barely important (as I said, 3 wars in 4 years), or skilling up their magic resistance to absurd values. Yeah, that must be fun for you guys, and everyone thinks you're really cool, and the people who aren't masochists with nothing better to do and actually spend most of their time ig roleplaying should bow down to the people who live at the reds.
Llama

Post by Llama »

There was also the SB VS TB massacre

The battle itself was composed of 10 minutes of 'parley' and 20 seconds of dwarves getting blown up by TB mages.
Alexander Knight

Pretty much :)
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:There was also the SB VS TB massacre

The battle itself was composed of 10 minutes of 'parley' and 20 seconds of dwarves getting blown up by TB mages.
Dwarves and TWO Nordmarkers. Gosh, we wrote history that day being the only ones who played someone severly (and I mean almost deadly) injured! At least on our side... though I doubt that on the TB side anyone was being attacked long enough to carry away an injury. We were pretty badly pwned that day but it was fun almost dying ^^.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I think from reading the thread that there is conflict between the engine based and RP particularly in a battle situation. If a PO RP's severe injury after going to the cross, they mostly miss the rest of the exciting quest *g* (( oocly )) because it makes no sense from an ig and engine perspective to run back into a battle with your health low (by the way, the health staying low for a period of time after going to the cross is wonderful). If, your char didn't have to go to the cross, they can wait on the sidelines to heal, or get a mage to help.

During the Salk battle after my char was severely hurt, she left against medical advice *g* trailing bloodly bandages in her wake and went down the library steps NOT to fight.. but lean on the wall to watch. Isn't that a compromise for RP purposes yet allows the PO to still be in the quest?

I never believed a fantasy game should be that realistic, like a lot have said before, we are here to RP together and have a good time also.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Since such fancy ideas like Crommy's won't be realized anytime soon, I will try to close the gap between engine and roleplay post-mortem-injuries by a small piece of code which will raise the time to fully restore (max health and attribs) depending on how many times the char has died in the near past.

This will have almost no impact on those who already play injuries properly. However such behaviour is preferred. Thus it will be engine wise enforced to guarantee a little bit more balance and fairness.

You will be informed as soon as it is active.
Alexander Knight

We <3 Pharse
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

pharse wrote:Since such fancy ideas like Crommy's won't be realized anytime soon, I will try to close the gap between engine and roleplay post-mortem-injuries by a small piece of code which will raise the time to fully restore (max health and attribs) depending on how many times the char has died in the near past.

This will have almost no impact on those who already play injuries properly. However such behaviour is preferred. Thus it will be engine wise enforced to guarantee a little bit more balance and fairness.

You will be informed as soon as it is active.
LOVE YA!!! :wink:
H.Banestone

Post by H.Banestone »

Great idea, pharse. Sounds like that will accomplish what you guys are trying to accomplish. The debuffs will keep the wounded from returning to battle naturally, thus pushing them to make harsher choices. But it will still be player choice.
Make the debuffs from multiple deaths stack with each other. So if you return to fight and die twice, you now have even more attributes lowered. That will be better than a GM telling people to stop fighting, it will be a natural harsh limitation to combat ability.

In other games I played they called this condition a "death shroud". You can try fighting in it, but it sure as hell be wiser to stop and rest.

I'd have to add, that in my experience developing and running games, a good client development is one which allows to minimize work for GMs. The less micro-management of players GMs have to do, the better the client does its purpose.
Llama

Post by Llama »

H.Banestone wrote:I'd have to add, that in my experience developing and running games
Illarion is always looking for developers and scripters. If you want to help out.

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... veloper.3F
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

.. :O

He -scripts-!? Could he be the legendary man to bring about the VBU as told in the prophecy!?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Vern Kron wrote:.. :O

He -scripts-!? Could he be the legendary man to bring about the VBU as told in the prophecy!?
The VBU was always going to happen.

Whether its in your lifetime is another concept entirely :P
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

The Prophecy wrote:
In a time of great technological leaps and bounds, a staff shall become overworked to the brink of their ability. When their work is at their highest, some shall step forth to assist, and one of them shall undertake the worst of the work and will do it quite successfully. Born in a time and place unknown, he will soon become known as the Second Cousin of the VBU. He will take commands from the Father of the VBU, known only to mortals as "Nitram". The work assigned to him will be that of horrid tasks, but they shall so be completed with such skill, that the VBU will arrive many ages sooner than had this Second Cousin not stepped in. So it is written, so shall it be!

I think its quite clear what has to happen here, aye?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Actually that already happened. The 'second cousin' did turn up, and s/he's produced a bunch of class-A work very very quickly, helping push back the date considerably. Only the 'nitram' part is wrong.

Also for a sacred prophesy, it lacks the llama references.

How can you have a sacred prophesy without llama references?
Dahinar Sharpeye

Post by Dahinar Sharpeye »

That is only a part of it...He left out the part about llamas raining from the sky.