Old player avatars

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Indril Linwelin

Old player avatars

Post by Indril Linwelin »

Just a personal opinion, but looking back at old game screenshots, it seems that I like the old characters ingame better. Sure, they had weapons and armors not reflecting properly, but the level of detail and attractiveness seemed better. Female humans and female elves were a lot curvier and wore mini skirts, now everyone looks like a peasant. A girl can't be told from a guy, and most of her figure is covered by a swamp green cape.

Halfling women used to have one of the most gorgeous avatars, a little lady in a fancy ball dress, now they wear pants and look almost identical to male halflings.

And orcs I feel sorry for, as they no longer wear pants! I think only lizardmen benefited from new graphics by gaining shirts.

Does anybody share my opinion or have alternative thoughts? Just throwing it out there, on behalf of the ladies who want their characters to look appealing and attractive. :)

Discuss?
Llama

Post by Llama »

We're going to get paperdolling with the VBU...
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:We're going to get paperdolling with the VBU...
signed...

And I am GLAD that my Char doesnt look like a cheap Aragorn any more!!
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

I absolutely love the old elves. But perhaps that's just nostalgia clutching my brain.
Deschiri Shayler

Post by Deschiri Shayler »

Better than what looks like peasants brawling with each other when they fight. Did anyone else make the connection between the color of human cloaks and, say, vomit green? I happen to like the avatars I see in screenshots. They seem to have more character in my opinion.

On a side note, VBU? I keep reading posts in suggestions that just say "wait for VBU." Kind of seems like a dismissive, 'dont want to discuss your idea' mentality. I guess I'll keep looking around until I find an actual breakdown of what the devil VBU is.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

You can have your chars walking around naked after the update. So I guess that solves the issue.

EDIT: The VBU is the "very big update". Basically a set of updates hitting all parts of the game. Including a refactored client, a large set of server updates, ten thousands of new graphics, new static quests, a refactoring of basically all scripts, rebalancing of the ingame techniques (crafting, magic, fighting, druidism), massive changes of the story line, a large bundle of new maps.

The exact contents of the update are yet kept secret for various reasons. Partly because everything is still under active development and the details change every day, partly because some changes will be less popular but required to get the whole picture fitting. And we want to avoid massive rantings as long as possible about small things that appear bad when the whole picture is not seen. We can't afford getting our team members demotivated at the current state by something like this.

So thats what every staff member is currently working at. And by every staff member, I mean every staff member. All seers, questers and developers are working at this.

At the end it will change the look and feel of Illarion and thats the reason why proposals of any kind are currently not that useful. Many of those things are already included in the update, some become obsolete.

Nitram
Deschiri Shayler

Post by Deschiri Shayler »

Ah, thank you for the detailed response Nitram. It answered a lot of questions for me.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Deschiri Shayler wrote:Ah, thank you for the detailed response Nitram. It answered a lot of questions for me.
Also, if you want to help out, the NPC scripting language is AMAZINGLY EASY to learn - if you script a few quest NPCs, it'll be much better for everyone.

Or you could write books (also uses a very simple application)

So there's stuff even the non-technical people can do.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Nitram wrote:massive changes of the story line
That actually frightens me...
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

whatever happens with the Very Big Update we will just have to adapt :) they are doing the best they can..and we can play this game for FREE..too me, the Avatars, as they are now, allows you to use more fantasy when you see a character in game. allthough i have to agree, telling a lizard woman from a lizard man is a bit though if you are new, not so much with halflings, i just look at the hair. And i didnt notice that orcs didnt have pants untill a couple a months ago xD i was overly tired when i noticed it so it was a bit *giggle snicker* allthough im looking forward to seeing characters that doesnt look like they are frozen in time just as they were about to take a step :D and of course the whole paper dolling thing..just hope it doesnt totally ruin the looks of my "monkey" orc>,<
Llama

Post by Llama »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:
You people complain that everyday illarion life gets too boring, and now when they decide to spice things up a bit, you get scared?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Rhianna Morgan wrote:
You people complain that everyday illarion life gets too boring, and now when they decide to spice things up a bit, you get scared?
Sorry Llama,
but Nordmark-POs NEVER complained about a boring life in Illarion!
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Rhianna Morgan wrote:
qft
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I wrote a bunch of quest NPCs and they were never used. :(

I gave up.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ten thousands of new graphics
If I dont count at least 20,000 new graphics...I'll be upset.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Pyrrho wrote:
ten thousands of new graphics
If I dont count at least 20,000 new graphics...I'll be upset.
No reason to be upset then.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karl wrote:I wrote a bunch of quest NPCs and they were never used. :(

I gave up.
If you still have the NPC files, send them to me and I'll take a look at them.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

"Karl "->"Karl is a hero amongst our players, do not talk bad about him or I WILL REDUCE YOUR SKILLS!! *puts his hand on his lockpicks*"
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:
"Karl "->"Karl is a hero amongst our players, do not talk bad about him or I WILL REDUCE YOUR SKILLS!! *puts his hand on his lockpicks*"
This has the makings of an instant meme
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:
It is actualy kind of scary..its like..the world as we know it changing forever...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

If nothing changes the update would be rather... useless, wouldn't it?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

There is a difference between technical aspects of the game and the world we play in!!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kranek wrote:There is a difference between technical aspects of the game and the world we play in!!
Is there ? If we didn't have any elves, we wouldn't have vanima. If we didn't have magic, we wouldn't have the Academy, and a bunch of other roleplay things.

So yes Kranek.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

But we rp clothes :P
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Kranek wrote:There is a difference between technical aspects of the game and the world we play in!!
Between the world we see and the things we fear, there are doors. When they are opened...nightmares become the VBU.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Pro-tip: The VBU is a lie.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karl wrote:Pro-tip: The VBU is a lie.
Not true.

But the cake is.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Karl wrote:Pro-tip: The VBU is a lie.
Not true.

But the cake is.
So what's this then?

Noob.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Is there ? If we didn't have any elves, we wouldn't have vanima.
I vote all for that one :P

And the old avatars didn't look THAT awesome either ¬¬'
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Aldan Vian wrote:
Rhianna Morgan wrote:
It is actualy kind of scary..its like..the world as we know it changing forever...
*Huddles in the corner*