Character inspiration... As in yours!

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Darkshade

Character inspiration... As in yours!

Post by Darkshade »

Okay guys and galz this is where you can ((and hopefully will)) post your origional ideas for your main ((or non main)) chars. How you came up with the idea. How it developed IG. and so on.

Ksiksin was developed when another char of mine heard a Lizard ((i believe it was Ssar`ney)) ranting on about his religios beliefs. So i decided to creat an anti Ssar`ney ((or what ever the lizards name was i never actualy heard it)) As i played i developed a reason for her hating of the lizard culture. and now even though she serves the goddess she is still reluctent.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Meh, once I had a lizard, who was a goody-goody Templar. Then the new java client came out, my computer couldn't play so I perma-killed him. When I bought a new laptop, I was able to play, so I decided on another lizard (I love lizards), but made this one sneaky like.

Eventually he became a spy, which then once lead to him producing tons of shoes for selling to NPCs and getting money for Zzyathis - which then lead to him giving up on tailoring, and becomming a smith. The end. His character kinda changed dramatically.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Alex was meant to be a skermish fighter for the Militia.. Now he's turned into a hero/menace of society although he has kept his skill on target as i didnt want to max him i wanted to take him through a learning curve and give him a montage moment then come back fighting :)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

well...the original idea for Turga, my orc character, was to have a "gentle giant" type which allso 'did' work for some time...now he's more of a gentle giant/happy go lucky kinda orc...with minor anger manegement problems when it comes to stoopid oomins and staff!

and of course my first orc was an atheist orcling whom got so smiled up that it wasnt even fun...its strange how a game, by atheists mostly, can contain such an amount of religion. mildly annoying you might say.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

astari the book dweller. being small (even for a fairy) he found himself at the butt of many many practical jokes, one of which broke his nose. after that particular prank he didn't find them as amuzing as most fairies do and so spent time reading. it was later discovered in illarion, that he had an affinity for magic. He has had two magic teachers, and one teacher test his affinity for magic without asking (as in i wasn't sure if he was attacking me or what at that current time), then after the two had a chat the mage said that he (astari) should be taught magic. however this person does not currently teach so astari is still looking for teacher number 3.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Olaf: :twisted: ..Inspired from 40k books I read about the Space Wolves, 'nuff said.
Ranek: Same as Olaf, but- as a more.. sensible/understanding 'Wolf'.
Samuel: Myself, :shock: I just put in a bit of my naivity, and love of mixing crap into food. >_>

<_<
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

The inspiration for Alvis came from my own mind at first to be sociable, bright, humble, and curious. But after a few ingame events (and much storylining) he changed for the worse, becoming a much darker individual than was originally intended. At that point for the personality changes I drew inspiration from all of the more conspiratorial antagonists in Frank Herbert's "Dune" books. I've never found characters more well-developed than the ones in those books (original series only, of course).

The particular people I based Alvis off of (at this changing point) were Hasimir Fenring, Vladimir Harkonnen, and in general much of the Spacing Guild and Bene Gesserit folks. He has, however, changed even more since then, and become quite a unique individual (although if your character is not compatible enough with Alvis to be able to hold a lengthy conversation, all they will recieve is a stick-in-the-mud impression).
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

"And what does it matter whether God speaks to us from amongst the thorns or the flowers?"
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

I'll move this into General, this is directly Illarion related.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Kranek: No idea *g* just wanted some char, so i made him a hunter...

Vigalf: Yes...i wanted to play a real char. An albarian bondman. So i created him...it was NOT planed to make him a Jarl *g*

Other Chars: Secret :P
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Exactly, Keikan, thanks!

I base my characters not around events, stories, influences and so on, but around feelings. I usually chose a basic feeling I want to represent with this character, like carelessness, loyality, arrogance, "craving for recognition"-ness (you have no word for Geltungssucht in english?) and so on. All this story stuff I make up on the fly, yields the best results for me.

In the end, you don't need a twenty pages essay as concept for your character. You need to know how your character feels, how he encounters unfamiliar situations. You know how your character would react if his mother dies or if he committed a terrible mistake. All this "my parents were killed by orcs and I want to become a noble knight who fights for justice"-junk won't yield interesting(!) characters. At least that's my opinion.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Rhianna: Was my first char, and I decided for her to be a thief. It lasted about... two days... then my char was broken. Thief rp IG is so hard, especially for a newbie.
I was about to leave the game, never come back, but eventually (thanks to Harald) my char was saved and brought to Nordmark, so I started playing her there, just a confused young girl who had been forbidden to steal, and who now lived in a strange place full of rough and tough barbarians. She was so shy back then... Later on, she met Vigalf, fell in love, became pregnant, and they decided to marry. None of us would have thought they would ever be something more than that, a simple warrior and his beloved wife. But well... as fate tricked us, we now lead Nordmark ^^.

Alan Dowland and Gorim von Bragona: Those brothers were developed about the same time, Gorim a little bit later than Alan. I was inspired to create Alan when I listened to music of John Dowland, there is his last name, right, while reading a book about Robin Hood (I fell in love with Alan a'Dale, isn't he gorgious?)... So I created a bard char. Of course I wanted to do some background on him, explaining his good education and so on, and that is when Gorim, his half-brother, suddenly plopped into my mind. I realized I wanted him to look for Alan, so I made a bard char plus a fun char who was his complete opposite^^.
Gorim then started out as a knight, but he was merely a toy between Julius Rothman and Jorothar Sladrir, oweing both of them his life, and after a while of intrigues, my silent warrior was no longer capable. So when an assassin quest-like tright to kill Gorim, I let my char fall for it, but of course I hoped one of his knight friends would help him (what they didn't) and eventually he died. Sad and short.
Alan was always meant to be the happy, funny nice kid, playing his instruments, being the total understanding guy and stuff... being beaten up by rough and tough barbarians perhaps :)
But he did not end up that good, unfortunatelly he is in a crisis right now, refusing to speak or sing or even touch anything related to music. I hope I will get him out of there someday...

Aarya: Was created when Merung came to me and asked whether I wanted to play a fairy for him. And I said yes, partially because I wanted another very happy fun char.

hmm the rest... are a secret :P (yes, of course there are more!!)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I start out with "nice", "not so nice", "shady", "evil" :twisted: ..make basic characteristics for my char, actions that are directly related to only that one. I decide a background only to figure out how they would relate to different stimuli i.e. if somone calls them a name, gives a gift, etc., make the char and flesh in the background later. Some chars I make just from looking at a picture *g*. Most of my chars have one or more basic idea/quirks that stimulates a lot of their action/response, call it similar to a photoshop "easter egg" :wink: .. it is nothing ever discussed ig or their background except alluded to but helps me to keep every char a little unique.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Ssar'ney:

I was quite pissed from all the fighters my spy/thief/dagger-guy char before Ssar'ney had no chance against.
From the system-side I planned to create a char to beat those powergames, what maybe succeeded in the end by becoming one of them.
The inspiration for Ssar'ney came from Goris, the friendly Deathclaw inFallout 2.

The main-idea was either a nubian templar or a lizard hunter with ambition to become templar.
Ssar'ney became a lizard, obviously. I made up a simple background story about a young hunter
leaving his home-settlement and heads out to the world to learn.
In the beginning he was unfamiliar with the land, did behave rather childish.
Over all I intended to make him a command following and awaiting soldier- type.
Due to the lack of religious chars and the background he was planned more than average religious.

Inspired by the lizard missionary Graalsh (who was played fantastically religious) he turned as fanatic as he
is now and while learning more about the land and growing stronger in fighting he became more serious,
slowly turning to how a lizard templar should be.
At the moment he turns a bit more tolerant while becoming less emotional and more distanced.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Either you're an orc or you're not an orc it's as simple as this. :twisted:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Either you're a mage or you're a cloud, it's as simple as this.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

And those who want to be a mage either have a teach or they are *(#@^%, sadly.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Napoleon.
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:Napoleon.
Where are you? You're too short, I cannot see you!
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

For Azuros I just wanted to be a mage at first...the rest of him is based on IG interactions.

As for Ademar, I made him to be one of a set of twins, but the player left and I stayed :P His personality is a bit lacking sometimes because he wasn't my idea.

Linden, now.. I said to myself "I want a character who loves fun and loves to be silly!" That is how he came about.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

What about Nerisella?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kenneth Ladrus wrote:
Actually the rumour that napoleon was short was based on a mistake made with the units, and with enemy propaganda who preferred to flaunt the 'faults' of such a dangerous enemy. Really he was average sized.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Hmm for my orc char orgis which I guess was my main char I knew hardly anything about orc history so I just put my own sharp wit into his hardly understandable mouth. good times with the orc crew :)

Next and my now perm char Ser. I wanted to add my own little ting to the history evolving around him so that I could construct his character better to my liking. And it would explain why he isn't all Hiho! Like most halfers. Again i just transferred most of my wittiness to his personality, making him a sarcastic little bugger who'll be the first to pop a joke after a funeral :roll: got a few more tings to add to him though :)
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

AlexRose wrote:What about Nerisella?
Nicole and I wanted to make kick-ass girls that'd be like bandits sort-of. She didn't go as planned though, interestingly enough!
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

My inspiration for Moirear Sian was a mixture between a young Han Solo and a D&D thief character I had played a loooong time before Illarion.

I have an inspiration for a new character to play some time soon, but I don't want to spoil it; suffice to say that any old school gamers would possibly recognize the character concept from one of the ol' Legend of Kyrandia point 'n click adventures. :D
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Moirear Sian wrote:My inspiration for Moirear Sian was a mixture between a young Han Solo and a D&D thief character I had played a loooong time before Illarion.

I have an inspiration for a new character to play some time soon, but I don't want to spoil it; suffice to say that any old school gamers would possibly recognize the character concept from one of the ol' Legend of Kyrandia point 'n click adventures. :D
Do I know you?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Pyrrho wrote:Do I know you?
*thunderclap*

*awkward silence*

*shrugs*
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kenneth Ladrus wrote:
Actually the rumour that napoleon was short was based on a mistake made with the units, and with enemy propaganda who preferred to flaunt the 'faults' of such a dangerous enemy. Really he was average sized.
Lies have short legs! :D

@topic: I wanted Kenneth to be a typical crafter, I did not really have an idea or a "plan" what to do with him ;)
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

orgis wrote: And it would explain why he isn't all Hiho! Like most halfers.
Still dont understand this... Wernt it snow white and the seven DWARVES who said Hiho? :?
orgis

Post by orgis »

Alexander Knight wrote:
orgis wrote: And it would explain why he isn't all Hiho! Like most halfers.
Still dont understand this... Wernt it snow white and the seven DWARVES who said Hiho? :?
most halfer chars usually have a german po, might something total different to them, in any case sery wasn't ending up like that lol