Keys in VBU

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

H.Banestone

Keys in VBU

Post by H.Banestone »

It came to my attention that there is no way for players to craft keys in game, so each individual key has to be given by a gamemaster.
Is this being planned for change in the VBU? If not, it most probably should. Perhaps with locksmithing skill as a branch of blacksmithing?
Kind of boggles my mind why GMs would want the job of manually managing people's keys to access territories that players themselves control?

Give players ability to make and change their own door locks, manage their door access and craft/duplicate keys.

A good avenue to surpass Ultima Online actually. UO does not allow picking locks to players' houses, which was always a cripple to thieves.
Illarion has its own diety Ronagan in place for thieves, but as I understand, stealing is impossible from player unless it's off the ground?
Perhaps craftable lockpicks that can unlock keyed doors would widen this aspect of the game? Locks would have quality, which would be compared to lockpick quality and some skill?

Would players want to see this change? At least the craftable keys part?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

This is not the proposals-board.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Some people just aren't super-special enough to post on the proposals board. Myself included.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

And myself, too.
But it does not change the fact that this is not the proposals-board.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

I hate to turn this guy's thread into an entirely unrelated discussion, but do you really have nothing better to do than speak for the governing staff? You contribute nothing but unnecessary hostility. I am content in my own lack of submission, in case you're thinking of asking.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

This is not the proposals board, and I am sad to report that we are not planning such a thing.

The major issue being abuse. It is rather difficult to separate between houses which should be able to be lock picked (or to renew the locks on), and buildings which should be restricted. I'm also not a huge fan of orcs being able to invade dwarves simply because they had one of their guys make keys for the main gate on a time when there was no dwarf on.