Allright, brand new idea for food and eating.
Basically, food is given a less "Always critically there" importance, and a more underlying, yet very useful role.
Firstly, the food bar is replaced, and instead of it, you'll have a 'stamina bar'. It'll go down when the character hurts, uses mana or whatever, and goes up on its own, independantly of what you do, and slowly.
Now food instead is controlled using lstates.
Every 1/3rd of a day IG, you get the message "You feel hungry". You are free to ignore it (but it'll happily remind you every 30 minutes or so). If you eat, you only eat a single item, and that'll satisfy all your hunger. If you try to eat something else, you get an error, and can't.
Each food will have a 'bonus' modifier stuck to it. If you eat no food, the bonus is 0. If you eat good food, the bonus is higher.
The bonus effects two things.
1. The stamina bar. The higher the bonus, the faster the bar increases. At the BEST FOOD, you should gain stamina thrice as fast
2. Gives a bonus when crafting. At the BEST FOOD, you should gain the equivalent of 2 dex points.
1. You don't need a ton of food stockpiled somewhere -> Cooks become useful
2. Its more 'realistic' (hahahaha)
3. If you don't want to eat anything, you don't need to. If you want to pay money to cooks, then you get bonuses AT ONCE that everyone can enjoy
-> Cooks become useful
4. Fighters no longer need to carry half a river of fish when hunting. They just need 'rations' just in case they get hungry during the fight, but they can carry GOOD FOOD instead of the free stuff everyone takes.