Destroying the races

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arvemor

Destroying the races

Post by Arvemor »

Hey Guys, making a proposal here about the races that are being deleted...
I heard someone suggest that they may magically going to turn those species into the existing species. To me (and this is just me) this seems pretty wierd.

Couldn't it be something more interesting? Such as an evil type character, one of those about to nonexist, starts attacking Troll's Bane, generating xenophobia for them. The prince gives a reward for the heads of gnomes...or some kind of war...or extinction...

Just make some sort of quest out of it, just for fun...I know there aren't many of those players...But yeah, discuss!
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

ok, you got me, i'm confused. it's because a) you missed something in that explanation because i have no idea which races your are talking about or b) i'm mildly drunk from a good night, or c) some combination of the afore mentioned. either way i am confused. please explain.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Mesha allready offered that he will create a quest for your char if you want to.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:ok, you got me, i'm confused. it's because a) you missed something in that explanation because i have no idea which races your are talking about or b) i'm mildly drunk from a good night, or c) some combination of the afore mentioned. either way i am confused. please explain.
Gnomes, Goblins and Fairies are not included in the paperdolling update. Because of this we no longer hand out permissions for new characters of said races. Also because of this we will loose those races all-together when the VBU comes out, which means all the existing players of said races will need/want some compensation.

I am unsure yet how I will provide this compensation, but in the end it will result in your character turning into another race. I still have to work on story and execution. Suggestions go to my PM box. Even if you do not get a response I will have read and thought about your proposal.

This should answer your question.
The prince gives a reward for the heads of gnomes...or some kind of war...or extinction...
The Prince is Salkamaerian. But feel free to send a proposal to my inbox, as I suggested.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol, sorry if it came out garbled, I was trying to type while on the phone at the same time! :)

Anywho, no, I don't have one, and it probably wont affect me in anyway, whatsoever. BUT...yeah, it hasnt really been thought out too much...

Maybe I can put more thought into it. I dunno, I just want to see what you guys think as well.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

A lamp thrown out in the heavens by a strong mage (( http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=28428| )) suddenly falls back to Gobaith after all this time, it is unclear how or why yet a halfling walking toward Tol Vanima, in order to trade, picks it up curiously as a sudden blue light emanates from it. Dropping it quickly shaking his head "should know not to pick up dropped lamps" as he frowns before continueing his way toward his destination. When in Tol, instead of going to the city he turns east and with a clear loud voice yells "Fairies, I have something to trade". Weeks possibly months later, no one remembers the strange blue glow from the halfling that night as one by one the fairies become deathly ill. In the meantime, a gnome passes the road and spying the dropped lamp picks it up curiously again getting this strange blue glow as he quickly takes it back to his home to analyze, the illness now spreads. A human walking to the gnome village trades candles for the unusual looking lamp taking it back to Trolls Bane... in the end humans, elves, halflings and dwarves become ill for a few days but seem to get over it soon, yet gnomes, goblins and fairies die swiftly. Mages, druids, alchemists all attempt to stop the spread of this disease yet it had traveled so fast and symptoms delayed so long, it was hard to find exactly where it originated from. The only answer at this late date may be a once in a lifetime ritual using the power of all mages along with special druid potions in order to turn the affected races into another race entirely...this to save their lives. This ritual will be difficult to accomplish and take days to develope needing the cooporation of everyone on Gobaith.

( just one idea, feel free to elaborate )
Alexander Knight

Re: Destroying the races

Post by Alexander Knight »

Arvemor wrote:Hey Guys, making a proposal here about the races that are being deleted...
I heard someone suggest that they may magically going to turn those species into the existing species. To me (and this is just me) this seems pretty gay.

Couldn't it be something more interesting? Such as an evil type character, one of those about to nonexist, starts attacking Troll's Bane, generating xenophobia for them. The prince gives a reward for the heads of gnomes...or some kind of war...or extinction...

Just make some sort of quest out of it, just for fun...I know there aren't many of those players...But yeah, discuss!
But if a char has spent 2 years IG and would like to change the race?
It take a lot of time to gain all that skill just to waste it because of the VBU, just change the race and blame it on the Temple :P
Or that spirit... It will effect the bodys of Gnomes, fairys and goblins turning them........ ORC :)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

No further "gayness" discussion, please. ~Estralis

I quite like Juliana's idea...Yeah. But anyway, I suppose how it's handled should really be left up to those particular players.
Anyway.
Yeah.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I'm a fairy PO, yes I know, not a very active one, but still...
I actually don't want my fairy to be anything else than ehm... a fairy. I don't want her to be switched into some elfess or girl or whatever...

but if you really have to do it, can we at least take it to her background that she once WAS an actual fairy? Because then she would at least be very interesting to rp due to her confusion^^. If I suddenly have to rp her as a full human, she might as well die. In that case I am all for Juliana's idea!
Tanistian_Kanea

what?!?!? i don't want to die...

though i can understand leaving out these races from paper dolling, to few people play them. (i play one of the 6 fairies and the only male one, and i haven't been ig much of the last few months because of college, which means paper dolling the male fairy avatar would benefit only me)

as for a solution though death is a punishment. i really like being a fairy. i like being able to fly, i like that they are smart and have a natural affinity to magic. i like the speed at which they can move, their dexterity and long life, (400 years). i am unsure what my options are but i would not want to become a dwarf or a human, half ling, lizard man, orc or elf. out of all of them only elf is close to the type of person i would like to play.

will it be possible to keep my character?

edit: i feel the same as rhiana, i can not imagine him being any of the other races, at the least i would like it to be some sort of magical change. hey, maybe me and her could be out exploring, than we come across (insert magical thing) that turns us into a human or something.
Alexander Knight

Tanistian_Kanea wrote: (i play one of the 6 fairies and the only male one,
:O FLAPPY? *Tries to touch the fairy*
Tanistian_Kanea

Alexander Knight wrote:
Tanistian_Kanea wrote: (i play one of the 6 fairies and the only male one,
:O FLAPPY? *Tries to touch the fairy*
yes twinkle toes, now back on topic
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I think you did not got one part.

It is not possible to play the mentioned races any further. As a result those characters need to disappear.

The staff is offering you the option to keep the skills and items of the characters that have one of the races that are about to be deleted. How ever in roleplay those characters become new character. With a legal race and a new name. They have nothing to do with the character they were "created from".

What happens to those old characters is up to you. They die, they leave or they just disappear. Now ever they do not take part in the played world of Illarion.

Nitram
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

@ the only male fairy:

Meet me IG and our fairies decide to go back to the mainland to live happily ever after??? That would spare me some heartache actually because I love that char, somehow she is a part of me.
Tanistian_Kanea

i will, if no other solution can be found. but for now i hope to find a solution everyone likes and not difficult for the devs. edit: my fairy is my main, and the only one i keep going back to roleplay.
Alexander Knight

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:i will, if no other solution can be found. but for now i hope to find a solution everyone likes and not difficult for the devs. edit: my fairy is my main, and the only one i keep going back to roleplay.
Why dont you fall inlove with a woman (Human) and want to be with her so bad that you would take a potion that allows you to become human

Rhen you still keep him, have a story AND all your skills
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Yeah, but why doesn't SHE take a potion then to become a fairy instead? That's far more Thumbelina xD
Alexander Knight

Because fairy's cant have sex? I dont know just go along with it :P
Alexander Knight

Or!!!!
A guild has gone around and kidnapped all the fairys to use they're pixie dust :) and taking their life force turning them human
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

That's Peter Pan... sorry dude, but we are playing a game called Illarion. Still.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

To clarify:

NO CHARACTERS ARE CHANGING RACE.

However the devs are offering to (in effect) transfer the skills to a NEW character. One which is completely seperate from your fairy/gnome/whatever. The alternative is to start a new character from scratch.

I repeat.

The NEW characters having NOTHING in common with your fairy/gnome/whatever from an IC point of view.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

why not?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Because its strange if a fairy become a human out of all sudden.

Its exactly in the way as Nalzaxx said.

Nitram
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hey, go the "happily ever after" idea...it's probably the nicest way to say goodbye to a character. I know you can get really attatched to them...so you want the best right?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

So, what about the goblin warriors? Are those just poofing too?

And if that is the case, why can they simply not just playing a goblin non-changing clothes characters?

And more over, why can they simply just change to become humans? We have potions that do that.

And also, what happens to the transofmration potions? Are those not going to work any longer?
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Goblins and Gnomes helped to flesh out the world, even though not many people played them, it would hurt me to see them disappear. Gnomes especially have the chance to be expanded upon. I would not mind these races just not having paper-dolling capabilities if possible.

Fairies...yeah...screw them :P
Tanistian_Kanea

well thanks with the fairy stuff but i would be fine not to have paper dolling. however you (devs) seem unusually set on killing these three races off for some reason
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:well thanks with the fairy stuff but i would be fine not to have paper dolling. however you (devs) seem unusually set on killing these three races off for some reason
. . .

Let me put this in perspective

Martin is working a lot to get paperdolling done, and Nitram is working a lot on the client.

After all the work done to make the client seem very attractive, and with a proper paperdolling system, you expect that a subset of characters do not have it supported? It'll look like a very crappy attempt which the devs hacked in at the last moment or something. It'll look weird, and it'll make the game look horrible.

And while everyone looks different, and has weapons and armour showing, this small subset of graphics will run around wearing the same and looking the same.

After all the work everyone is doing, you don't want to spoil the appearance of the client for something like that.

Its not like anyone is going to say "Let me look at the positive things", players will wonder what on earth they were smoking when they let a half-created thing in the middle of the client
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

llama dude...this pic rocks!!!!

*still thinks that some story about really good potions changing the chars into other races would be MUCH better than the present plan*
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Tanistian_Kanea wrote:well thanks with the fairy stuff but i would be fine not to have paper dolling. however you (devs) seem unusually set on killing these three races off for some reason
. . .

Let me put this in perspective

Martin is working a lot to get paperdolling done, and Nitram is working a lot on the client.

After all the work done to make the client seem very attractive, and with a proper paperdolling system, you expect that a subset of characters do not have it supported? It'll look like a very crappy attempt which the devs hacked in at the last moment or something. It'll look weird, and it'll make the game look horrible.

And while everyone looks different, and has weapons and armour showing, this small subset of graphics will run around wearing the same and looking the same.

After all the work everyone is doing, you don't want to spoil the appearance of the client for something like that.

Its not like anyone is going to say "Let me look at the positive things", players will wonder what on earth they were smoking when they let a half-created thing in the middle of the client
Admittingly but you could at least still use fairys i mean how many do you see with chainmail on?