Goblin Warriors - Minor change

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Goblin Warriors - Minor change

Post by Llama »

The goblin warriors (part of the goblin bandits north of the Rose) are very unfair currently.

They are far stronger than skeletons, or human bandits - yet they drop a pittance of coins (3 coppers?!) and useless items. Moreoever, they have an excessive speed, and will often chase you for ages, and you'll be unable to shake them off.

So the suggestion is - multiply the amount of coins goblins drop. The risk is VERY high, but there's no real reason to actually hunt them. Skeletons which are easier (and less of a walk) drop more coins then they do - and the odd weapon.

So my suggestion is to make them drop AT LEAST 20-30 coppers each.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

They will die with the huge ultra update anyway, right? :p
Llama

Post by Llama »

Jupiter wrote:They will die with the huge ultra update anyway, right? :p
Yeah, but that will take a while to come out, this is something that can be fixed pretty quickly.

And its the VBU, not the HUU :P
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

HUU = VBU 2.0

Concerning Goblins:
Do it...please XD
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

They are far stronger than skeletons, or human bandits - yet they drop a pittance of coins (3 coppers?!) and useless items. Moreoever, they have an excessive speed, and will often chase you for ages, and you'll be unable to shake them off.
Actually warrior goblens are about as strong as a small gnoll, they can drop hunting armor which can be sold for good coin (at least ONE of the goblins drops it), shields which are nice to have also yet the loot they drop is no where near what even bandits drop.
So the suggestion is - multiply the amount of coins goblins drop. The risk is VERY high, but there's no real reason to actually hunt them. Skeletons which are easier (and less of a walk) drop more coins then they do - and the odd weapon.
There is a need to hunt if your char wants to train for the next level, which would be gnolls. Skeletons after awhile give you no further skill. I am good with increasing the coin but think between the goblin bandit, archer, and warrior ...and having fought and ran extensively from them *g* they are fine (btw, they are very slow in the forest if chasing you)

Interjecting another point, forgive for changing the thread but is slightly related, the mage goblins are ridulously hard to kill and there are so many of them it is fairly impossible for at least one char to go there (though it may be set up for a group I don't think the loot is worth trying and hope that is changed at least in the update)

So no more goblins with the update?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

As you might know, updates to monster drops and monster strength will be part of the big update. So, this will be fixed with the update. If you want a quick change, you might want to take a look at the already finished drop scripts. But incremental updates don't really help.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:If you want a quick change, you might want to take a look at the already finished drop scripts. But incremental updates don't really help.
Tell me where it is, what I have to do, and I'll do it ;)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i dont find the gobblins too hard to beat...and if you want more coins you could allways go to the demon skeletons..and if new players gets clouded by goblins..well..lesson learned really:P thats how i learned too not mess with the goblins, untill i was good enough to smash dey fais that is. so what if they drop too few coins?:P meh:P
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

I like hunting the goblins, please dont get rid of them. They can be outrun by slowing them over forest ground or rocky terrain. Goblin archers tend to drop hunting armor, but more coin would be nice.
Llama

Post by Llama »

@ Oglaf: My argument was that they don't follow the "Harder enemy = More gain" thing. I didn't say "Make them easier to kill" just "Make it more profitable to kill them".

@ RayJ -> They're getting removed due to goblins not being compatable with paperdolling. There'll be something else to fill in the niche, don't worry ;)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

meh..i think that the goblins drop more then enough copper coins..aawww..i'll miss smashin dey stoopid fais! *pouts* yay! paperdolling! back on da topic...make them easier to kill then, since they are fairly close to the crypt where with mummies and skeletons. you know, so that the new players dont walk past that crypt and then try and tango with the goblins and ends up getting clouded..and then leaving the game..yes..i still get mildly aggitated when any of my characters gets clouded.... they 'are' agressive little buggers, i'll give you that :) just like the Gnolls, one chased my orc all the way back to Trolls Bane back in the days.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

Dropping more coppers does not really make sense, if other goblins steel it at the next opportunity. And .. compared to that .. the stone golem should drop some silver coins, as he did years ago ...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Golems drop something else apparently, that's why people hunt them.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

I know ;-)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Just to clarify

At the goblin 'camp' there are 3 kinds of goblins

Hunters - Which attack with bows
Thieves - Which attack with daggers (and drop gynk fire)
Warriors - Which attack with maces

The warriors are a multiple times harder than the others -

I killed two - the spoils : 3 coppers, a mace and shoes
5 coppers and a salmon.

When I killed 2 theives I got two molotovs, and when I killed a hunter I got a light hunt armour.

So while the others are balanced, warriors aren't.
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

Lots more ppl hunting goblins now though, I used to be by myself, now I have to wait in line.
:D
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

The only thing goblins are good for is training between skeletons/wolves and gnolls. That is a short gap of strength anyways. So, the need to make their loot better seems like a waste of time if we're getting rid of them eventually
Estralis Seborian

To clarify: We'll lose goblins as player race. This affects currently 3 characters. As monsters, we'll, most probably, keep goblins. But we have to wait for the big update, new, balanced monster drops that fit the state after the update are already created. So, yes, this proposal is valid, accepted, implemented and will be a part of the big update. A quick fix could be a waste of time, better spent speeding up the introduction of the big update!
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Oh... I wanted to be a goblin...*Sigh* Oh well.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Estralis Seborian wrote:To clarify: We'll lose goblins as player race. This affects currently 3 characters. As monsters, we'll, most probably, keep goblins. But we have to wait for the big update, new, balanced monster drops that fit the state after the update are already created. So, yes, this proposal is valid, accepted, implemented and will be a part of the big update. A quick fix could be a waste of time, better spent speeding up the introduction of the big update!
Can people with special chars just get a race change or do these chars just get deleted btw?

I'm not playing much right now but I don't want to train my gnome alchemist to find out it's gonna get deleted a week later or so.
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

can we still make fairy/gnome characters?
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

No :( I was just starting to get in depth with my fairy, too... ah, well. Old friends will forget about them :P

But yeah.... Agreeing with Kevin, here. Will the char just be changed, or deleted?
Estralis Seborian

That is not decided yet. Actually, this is an issue of minor importance when we behold the challenges of the big update. Like, currently, it is of no importance to think about what happens to a couple of characters.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Maybe to you :(

Ah, well...
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Also, I am deciding now. Your char will be available to be changed before we perform the actual update. It is out of the question that we would delete that character. That would be unfair to the player.

I will try and work out how to deal with it, but not offering such an option would be unfair.
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

Damn, I wanted to make a gnome jeweler some day. :(
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Thank you, Mesha. Much appreciated :)
Dahinar Sharpeye

Post by Dahinar Sharpeye »

Well, only make a quest about a mad mage that want to transform all ferries and gnomes into humans, elfs, dwarfs, orcs, lizards or halflings. Then there is a good RP explanation and the players can choose for themselves is their chars is to act like gnomes/ferries or adapt to their new body. Or am I making a fool out of myself here now?
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Is there the possibility of those races becoming available again in the future or is that just not going to happen? I had one character who is currently on hold (I have the proposal but haven't sent it in) because I heard about this change and wonder if I should just scrap it or leave it for some, hopefully not too distant, future time.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Look here's the problem

There are no models for gnomes, fairies, goblins, rotworms and beholders. So they can't be set towards paperdolling.

Now maybe if martin decides that 3 players are worth spending a few hours[?] designing a new model and setting up paperdolling for them, then yes they will be avaliable in the future. But given how little they are played, I wouldn't hold my breath too long.