Promotion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Promotion

Post by Alexander Knight »

Can someone make a few more different banners/posters and gimme the code for it as i wanna slam a few on Myspace and send to a few mates.

Also i had a brainstorm when i was walking through Cardiff the other week (Was going to watch rugby).
There is a shop/store called Games workshop in the UK which is for all your D&D needs and board sets, i saw a few stick up bits of paper in the window acting as a notice board and realized it was buy/selling stuff which is when i had the idea.

If someone was to make flyers then maybe with a bit of persuasion your local RP shop/store would let you advertise and maybe even help give out leaflets when someone buys something. Free promotion to the to people who love true RP :D
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Games Workshop is a WARHAMMER shop. And a bit of LOTR tabletop.

And why do you need to give your FRIENDS banners? Surely you can just tell them what illarion is.
Alexander Knight

Yes i could but if i can get them to put a banner on their profile then friends of friends will see it and so on.

Yes it is warhammer but also is that not the crowd you are going for? If you get even 10 people out of Games workshop, they tell 5 of their friends and soon we will have an army :twisted:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Pointless posts removed.

Banners:

Alexander Knight

Thanks, but is anyone able to make a leaflet? I can print it out and cut/fold it to size and have a try see if they will let me put it in the window or leave 100 copies on the till point so people will pick it up when they pass
Estralis Seborian

Honestly, I would not waste time and paper on this, littering your town with handouts. You reach many, many more people via the internet ;-).

I still urge you to take a look at this, you could have found the banners there, too:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Promotion

You could proceed like this:
  • Search for sites that deal with (free) online roleplaying games, MMORPGs and free (linux) games in general and accept submissions of reports/descriptions. Add those sites to the first list.
  • Check the sites of the first list and search for Illarion, comparing what you find with the current state
  • Move checked sites to the 3rd or 4th list
  • Update the information on the sites of the 3rd list by sending the admin an update of the informations or, if you need a login, ask me for help. Do not act like an official representive of Illarion, though.
  • Submit reviews to the dynamic sites. Pay attention to your spelling and stay true; do not write advertisements but a critical review with "pro" and "contra"
If there are any concrete problems, ask me for help.
Alexander Knight

Alright it was just an idea, but if i find any sites without Illarion is it okay if i make a new page and copy and paste the text from the others and put a few screenies up?

What if i made an Illarion video? Put a few RP'ers in there of different races so they dont notice the lack of paper dolling and maybe a fight scene or 2
Estralis Seborian

Do it :D.
Alexander Knight

Okay dude consider it done, I'll post the vid up here later on or something so you can see if you like it or not

Does anyone know of any good screen capturing software that wont make Illa lag?
Alexander Knight

Okay, we need a sort or epic theme tune for the vid and i need someone else to gimme a hand

Well a few people:

Cook to record themselfs making a good dish or baking

A smith to record himself making a sword (It dont matter what the quality of it), as it always looks like people are smithing swords.

A hunter stalking a deer in the woods

Carpenter making something

Druid making a potion

Mage casting a spell.

I could do the fishing, mining, fighting, general talking and trading.

I aint good at making the actual videos so we might need someone who we can send all the clips to who can edit, and make the video
Estralis Seborian

Fraps (37$).

Maybe CamStudio (free).
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Illarion video = boring

Nothing happens on the screen in Illarion remember? D:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Alexrose over in off topic wrote:If someone makes an actual promotion, it should have a big group of people doing like a yr map with witty subtitles (A bit of humour looks a lot better than saying: A MAGICAL WORLD WHERE MYSTICAL THINGS HAPPEN). Show off the most interesting looking stuff the game has, rather than "First I click on the hammer...". Someone go invisible, walk through the most interesting looking forest closings and dungeons, oasis, and stuff like this, then speed up the footage a lot and put this on. Noone wants to watch footage of someone saying "Oh hello my lord" "Ah, hello, I am off to shift click on a fishing rod". Something that looks like a ritual as well with someone as a demon being summoned in the middle and a group of mages in hoods (once paperdolling comes out) standing around it with flames all around them of different colours and things. It's dark and lightning crashes down. Someone 1 hit killing a rabbit with a kel ra will not interest anyone.
Just because it is roleplay based doesn't mean you can't show off the potential of the engine and an epic quest.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Idd there's pure roleplay stuff around that has roleplayz > Illarion has but they don't have a game to go with it.

If you want to advertise advertise both.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

That's why you show a quest. What games do you know where players do a ritual? Admittedly, yes, in illarion you don't get rp like that 99% of the time, and it's more like a medieval instant messenger, but, again, there's no problem pretending it's epic when it has the potential to be with the right playerbase.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

This plastic smells like cheetos.

Show some random shots of exotic monsters too so people don't think everything in Illarion is a skelaton. :P
Alexander Knight

Hence why i'm going out to annoy demon skeleton mages, yeah i'll get my ass kicked big time but it looks cool :)

And then i'm doing the whole "Stalking a deer with a bow" scene *Cue epic music*

Them perhaps a bit of light sparring but if you guys can capture the essence better then go for it, theres no harm in making too many videos just so we can cut bits out of it but i'm trying to capture the whole range of crafting things first.

Who knows we could make more than 1 video
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Make videos AFTER the VBU.