updates

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

updates

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

why not do incremental updates? every other week or something...

edit: instead of one big one. i know me personally would like to see illarion get even a small update every other week.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The aim is that the VBU blows your socks off.

it'll keep you guys all interested.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Because updating the client requires work?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

All is balanced onto each other. Release e.g. the new fighting system without adapting the monster attributes would lead to mummies pwning everyone. Bug fixes and minor stuff is, of course, released subsequently, but when we talk about a big update, we mean a big update and no shitty pair of NPC quests or tweak to weight of some items. Also, some things like client-server dialogue cannot be treated and published independently.

Just be patient, OK?
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

A blind deceit, as if to defeat - the subject/ in/ halves. Will it happen?... 1 may ask, to flee or fall from question - to - answer:
Ill(us)ion.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

I'm excited! :P
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The current state of the development client is:

There is the game map displayed.
There is the mouse cursor displayed.
There is no GUI (Inventory, Bags, Hitpointsbar, etc.)
You can't write anything (as in speech and emotes)
You can't cast spells
You can't use items
You can walk around!

You want such a development state as incremental update? :P

Nitram
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol, if there is paper dolling, then YES!
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

from nitram's quote i have to ask: are you rescripting everything from scratch???

second with the "crazy importance" of the VBU can we get an ETA. I would like to point out to any wise guy that answers with "don't know how long it will take.... blah blah blah..." That ETA stands for ESTIMATED time of arrival. are we talking days (HAHAHA...) weeks (see days) months? (maybe) years (what it seems like). if weeks how many? 2? 5? 233495960?

i personally getting tired of hearing, oh... VBU... just be patient... can't do that... very big update... blah blah blah...
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Months. Under a year.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Mesha wrote:Months. Under a year.
Before 2012 defentally.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:from nitram's quote i have to ask: are you rescripting everything from scratch???

second with the "crazy importance" of the VBU can we get an ETA. I would like to point out to any wise guy that answers with "don't know how long it will take.... blah blah blah..." That ETA stands for ESTIMATED time of arrival. are we talking days (HAHAHA...) weeks (see days) months? (maybe) years (what it seems like). if weeks how many? 2? 5? 233495960?

i personally getting tired of hearing, oh... VBU... just be patient... can't do that... very big update... blah blah blah...
Apparently you have no idea about that matter. But oh well. Nobody expects you to understand how all this works and where the problems are. Just one plea (not only to you): Do not annoy the devs by moaning about the current state. It's just as it is now and you can't change anything.

For your ETA: before August 2010 is a realistic estimation.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote: i personally getting tired of hearing, oh... VBU... just be patient... can't do that... very big update... blah blah blah...
I am also getting tired of reading such statements. Big update=whole lotta work. Done by devs. For you. For the players. For everyone. To make things better. Not to annoy you. So...

We've done incremental updates for years now. This time, you have to wait for a bundle of updates, because it is not possible to release those updates independent from each other. We cannot release the new client without the paperdolling graphics (and vice versa). Same for fighting system; we cannot release it without new monster stats. And so on.