Prizes for promotion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Prizes for promotion

Post by Alexander Knight »

As i'm writing reviews for Illarion on a website i got a thought (And yes Llamaface it did hurt)
What if the GM's were to reward us for new character's added to the database.
What i mean is, lets say i told 50 people about Illarion, and 30 joined. I propose that for every person joining that the GM pay you 1 silver to any character of yours and perhaps at the end of every calendar month an additional 5 silvers is payed to the person who has introduced the most players.

All you will need to do is ask the new guys/girls to post a forum topic saying who introduced them and when.

Just a thought guys...
Llama

Post by Llama »

I am greatly against the concept of rewarding OOC things with IC things. It is the first step for "Premium User" and "Buy stuff with real money plox"

Also 1 silver is a pathetic amount anyway.

Maybe the best suggestion is simply to have a counter underneath the forum avatar which keeps track of a rank which tells you how many people you've brought in.

People like showing off.
Alexander Knight

Yes which is why i said 1 silver, its nothing too big but it is also nothing too small to just throw away. 1 silvers like *Counts in his head* 100 fishies off one person.
If you invite 100 people and they all join thats 1 gold piece. I'm just thinking about all the soul taking :D

But its totally up to you guys.
Estelwen

Post by Estelwen »

Ryan, stop trying to blag the GM peoples, your writing these reviews out of choice.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

The lama is light, do not look to lesson the lama's languishing with your lip-service while lightly listening to his lore.

But seriously, he has a point. I have gotten so fed up with games that are "free to play" but where IG benefit for OG activities eventually means that those who do not participate can not compete that I started looking for a good game that didn't have that problem. This is how I ended up here at Illi (through a web search), and the moment that competitive IG benefit starts appearing I will go somewhere else while I can still hold onto the memory of "i remember how it used to be" rather than "yeah, I got killed again. He had the Uber Sword of Donation Domination, I'm so tired of this I don't even care anymore".

Though I do like the suggestion of a forum counter or something, if it has worked somewhat for scripting than it might work here too.

PS: I have tried getting people into the game but the overly simplistic look, difficult early learning curve, and lack of early direction has caused my efforts to fail every time. The paper-dolling update should greatly improve the first one, but perhaps we should look at ways to help introduce new players better (such as what Nooby Island does) as a way to keep new players better.
Alexander Knight

Well i'm not working atm so if the GM's need someone to help keep an eye on Noobia while the new guys get through i will be more than happy to.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

If you really want people to play this game, you need to do the job of a "personal introducer".

This means:
- show them the game
- help to create an account and the first char
- explain him basic things, like the gods or the mainland
- show him the ig world -> RP with him

And stay always by his side during the progress.

This is the best way to win someone for a game. Much effort? Yes. But we have a pretty low number of players - every single player is a gain.
Alexander Knight

Please mind the netiquette!

Nah but think guys, it's only 1 silver per person.
Realistically what is the max amount of players you will be able to introduce in a month? 10?
So 10 silver dont really seem like much if you distrabute it between all your chars
Llama

Post by Llama »

Its the concept and the mindset which is the problem Alex

Yes I know 10 extra silvers is a pittance, but if you open the door a bit, it'll then turn into "Give prizes for scripting" and "Give prizes for donating" and pretty soon its "Give prizes in proportion to the amount donated"

And before you know it, you have a pay-for-game.
Dahinar Sharpeye

Post by Dahinar Sharpeye »

Lets take it this way...What is the RP reason for your char to get those silvers for inviting players? There is no reason that I think may be used several times. And I do also feel that it is no good idea to let RL and RP affect each other in this way.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

IG and OOC are strictly separated. End. No further discussion needed.
Eadgar

Post by Eadgar »

Dahinar Sharpeye wrote:Lets take it this way...What is the RP reason for your char to get those silvers for inviting players? There is no reason that I think may be used several times. And I do also feel that it is no good idea to let RL and RP affect each other in this way.
+1
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Dahinar Sharpeye wrote:Lets take it this way...What is the RP reason for your char to.....?
I wish more people would ask this question more often.
Olive

Post by Olive »

Grokk wrote:
Dahinar Sharpeye wrote:Lets take it this way...What is the RP reason for your char to.....?
I wish more people would ask this question more often.
/signed
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Maybe he's illegally exporting the new player's characters from the mainland to Gobaith and they each pay 1 silver to his char for helping them flee a corrupt regime.

Btw I'm totally against the idea.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Wow.

You just reached a new level of bad suggestions dude.

Just give up.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

Jupiter wrote:If you really want people to play this game, you need to do the job of a "personal introducer".

This means:
- show them the game

This is the best way to win someone for a game. Much effort? Yes. But we have a pretty low number of players - every single player is a gain.
That's it.

Welcome all the new players. (Role) Play with them. Help them. Show them how to use the engine. Show them nice places on the map, etc. Act friendly and helpful.

And your price? Many new evolving role players you can play with.
Triton

Post by Triton »

Ragorn wrote:
Jupiter wrote:If you really want people to play this game, you need to do the job of a "personal introducer".

This means:
- show them the game

That's it.

Welcome all the new players. (Role) Play with them. Help them. Show them how to use the engine. Show them nice places on the map, etc. Act friendly and helpful.

And your price? Many new evolving role players you can play with.
<3 YEAR.

:)

Theres realy no reason to give someone´s chars money for promotion. Thats weird. If you want to help this game, do it for free.
pharse

Post by pharse »

wasn't his topic discussed once? The conclusion was simple: No. OOC is strictly separated from IC.