Free Food vs. Cooking

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Free Food vs. Cooking

Post by Rye »

The Utopian availability of free foods cooking a moot question. The island is a cornucopia of fruits and fish. Until some balance is created why would anyone bother to obtain cooked foods? One can collect 500 apples in a half hour. And carry them all seemingly without encumbrance. Carpenters will scream but fruit trees need to be less ubiquitous. Rather than go to the trouble of creating a complex system of nutrition from cooked foods just take away the ability to walk down the road and have apples and cherries within arms reach at every step. Apples that grow wild are 99% of the time almost inedible.
Perhaps growing apples and cherries for eating should be brought into the province of farming. Apples should also be available only a few months during the year as well. Aside from winter, there are times when apples are more difficult to find but it is only because of people who engage in vandalism. Carpenters will still find applewood in the wild but from trees with inedible apples. Apple trees that are TENDED by a farmer will yield a couple of crops a year. Of course this will make securing orchards of paramount importance.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Wait until winter comes lol 1 apple per tree and then thats when the cooks make their money.
And trust me fishing is no problem because Alex has become a fisherman and he even has cooks buying off of him as well as other people. Cooks need fish for their dishes
Eadgar

Re: Free Food vs. Cooking

Post by Eadgar »

Rye wrote:The Utopian availability of free foods cooking a moot question. The island is a cornucopia of fruits and fish. Until some balance is created why would anyone bother to obtain cooked foods? One can collect 500 apples in a half hour. And carry them all seemingly without encumbrance. Carpenters will scream but fruit trees need to be less ubiquitous. Rather than go to the trouble of creating a complex system of nutrition from cooked foods just take away the ability to walk down the road and have apples and cherries within arms reach at every step. Apples that grow wild are 99% of the time almost inedible.
Perhaps growing apples and cherries for eating should be brought into the province of farming. Apples should also be available only a few months during the year as well. Aside from winter, there are times when apples are more difficult to find but it is only because of people who engage in vandalism. Carpenters will still find applewood in the wild but from trees with inedible apples. Apple trees that are TENDED by a farmer will yield a couple of crops a year. Of course this will make securing orchards of paramount importance.
I buy cooked foods when I can, but I don't really ever seem to run into any cooks when I'm in need of food. Personally, I'd rather have a cake and some cooked meat on hand, so I don't have to spend my time collecting those 500 apples. However, having apples and fish abound is helpful for those of us who always seem to log on when there are only 4-8 other people online.

I kid you not; I've spent four hours online, wandering between TB and Varshikar and never ran into anyone (or the people I do meet will only speak old). I'd be hard pressed to keep my food bar up if I had to find a farmer/cook anytime I needed something to eat.
Alexander Knight

Re: Free Food vs. Cooking

Post by Alexander Knight »

Eadgar wrote:
Rye wrote:The Utopian availability of free foods cooking a moot question. The island is a cornucopia of fruits and fish. Until some balance is created why would anyone bother to obtain cooked foods? One can collect 500 apples in a half hour. And carry them all seemingly without encumbrance. Carpenters will scream but fruit trees need to be less ubiquitous. Rather than go to the trouble of creating a complex system of nutrition from cooked foods just take away the ability to walk down the road and have apples and cherries within arms reach at every step. Apples that grow wild are 99% of the time almost inedible.
I buy cooked foods when I can, but I don't really ever seem to run into any cooks when I'm in need of food. Personally, I'd rather have a cake and some cooked meat on hand, so I don't have to spend my time collecting those 500 apples. However, having apples and fish abound is helpful for those of us who always seem to log on when there are only 4-8 other people online.

I kid you not; I've spent four hours online, wandering between TB and Varshikar and never ran into anyone (or the people I do meet will only speak old). I'd be hard pressed to keep my food bar up if I had to find a farmer/cook anytime I needed something to eat.
Well if you replyed to Alex's dove i would have come on :)
And what exactly does the diet system do? does it lower any attributes if you have a bad diet?
Llama

Post by Llama »

The current diet system doesn't lower anything, but it can give a +1 constitution or a +2 constitution if you eat enough good food over a long enough period.

The problem with this suggestion is that not everyone can afford to buy cooked food, and if you take away the trees, they'll just eat fish, or meat. Then we arrive at the point where newbie fighters can't start because they need to pay cooks for food (or become them themselves).
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

We can modify the regrow rate of trees immediatly. But I warn against a "nerf-nerf-nerf"-attitude, as Hadrian pointed out; if we take away everything from everyone, this game will suck and nobody plays it anymore. In special newbies shouldn't have a hard time finding food, I even dislike the current state of having only one apple each tree and an insane regrow rate during wintertime.

So, free food is fine, better think about benefits of dishes rather than nerfing free food (in old times, free food reduced your constitution, this s*cked major!). We can play around a bit with regrow rates, sure, but afaik, it was raised only recently.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Estralis Seborian wrote:We can modify the regrow rate of trees immediatly. But I warn against a "nerf-nerf-nerf"-attitude, as Hadrian pointed out; if we take away everything from everyone, this game will suck and nobody plays it anymore. In special newbies shouldn't have a hard time finding food, I even dislike the current state of having only one apple each tree and an insane regrow rate during wintertime.

So, free food is fine, better think about benefits of dishes rather than nerfing free food (in old times, free food reduced your constitution, this s*cked major!). We can play around a bit with regrow rates, sure, but afaik, it was raised only recently.
I agree which is one reason was hoping the druids.. yet possibly another magic system could have one of the attributes of making an apple tree temporarily produce as the summer months if scriptable...better yet relax the strict winter script.

Making a new char in the "winter" with barely any copper for tools/weapons much less copper for food is very boring spending half the in game time with food procurement. (hopefully the raise will help that).

Back on subject, I wouldn't want to decrease the free food ratio for "summer", better to make buying food more a positive thing.
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

I am all for giving more benefits to eating the cooked foods. But there are some changes to the current system which would make sense to me. For example, I need to eat two meat dishes and a couple roasted fish to fill my bar as much as one apple pie. seems inconsistant to me.

Eating soup of any kind is just about pointless unless you are an elf RPing avoiding fish or meat. Maybe soup could give some health to an injured person or cure a poisin or something. Make recovery slower and eating as a benefit to recovery and you will soon see cooks making money.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

It is very inconsistant... And a bit unrealistic, but I do understand that. I'm not too big a fan of "#me eats five loaves of bread so they won't die of starvation after 20 minutes of fighting", but again, it is a good system for how everything works, at the moment.

I like the soup idea... but probably not worth the effort.

Back on topic, anyway.... The free food might also be unrealistic, but necessary. Cooking takes a lot of time (collecting, producing, etc.), so the prices are higher. Based on the amount of money you get coming into the game... You could probably only buy one or two "meals" for your character.

Granted, that would leave a lot of RP open for starving thieves... (Annoying when you say you're stealing to feed yourself and all you get is ".... #me points to the tree full of apples.") But it'd put too much harm on everyone else, for one RP opportunity.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Or.. you can ask Samuel, even though he's been 'asleep' most of the time (New games for the wii and computer >_>) I'm actually fine with how the food/cook system works; I really just 'RP' the foods, sort of (Like the cookies. Different kinds.. etc.) and such, and so on. I like cooking, anyway, so that's another reason why :P
maryday

Problem is one has to think of the good food in forward.

Post by maryday »

@Saigwin; Certain races already have advantages , depending on what certain stuff they stuff into their certain digestive tracts? :o

Maybe it is time to clone ALL advanced food types about three to four times, change them graphically in a minor way,
and add some special ingredients in their individual production process,
to introduce food with limited short term effects on stats,
to the game?

meaning; att-advantages for about 2 to 5 minutes, depending on level of meal.
maybe also; huge att-advantages for about 1 to 2 minute/ -s?
((Remembers me kind of certain goodies probably found in sci-fi games and stored in syringes...)):shock:

((Though all in all i truly, honestly have to admit, the current food system is..."YES."))
Believe me, there IS cheese, somewhere...i believe!