Hello.. give me a break

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

RayJ

Hello.. give me a break

Post by RayJ »

I am new here, but come on, who say's hello to everyone they pass. In ((RL)) I am the last person you would talk to, so why do I have to talk with every passerby. If I run past you with a *nods* accept it, it is more than you would receive from me in ((RL)).
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

I say hello to everyone, and then proceed to heckle them until they buy my mediocre smithed goods.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

dwarvesarecool wrote:I say hello to everyone, and then proceed to heckle them until they buy my mediocre smithed goods.
He will also send countless PM's to sell *teases unmercifully*

(most people complain no one will talk to them, this is a majorly strange complaint btw)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Meh, Its a roleplaying game - so people would try to look for peopel to roleplay with. I greet everyone as I pass, hoping that I find someone who wants to roleplay a while with me. That's the fun part of the game.

I'd settle for a #me nods, or a #me grunts, or anything of that matter.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

dwarvesarecool wrote:I say hello to everyone, and then proceed to heckle them until they buy my mediocre smithed goods.
I spent 30 silver and i'm still trying to get him away :D
Alexander Knight

But understandable, if you dont want to talk with them just blank them or emote blanking them E.g

#me seems not to hear the man/woman
#me looks at the man/woman, grunts and returns his gaze back to the BLAH
#me just nods and remains silent
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Yeah, have a go at saving a premade emote.
I think you type it in
i.e.
#me ignores them.
Then instead of pressing enter hit ctrl + shift + (and any of these) f2-f6

Then, if someone heckles you just hit shift + (the fnumber you chose)

Hope that helps, I do it fairly often...usually to describe my appearance. If you say right from the top you're wearing blood spattered robes, with your hood pulled up, pulling a cart of dismembered victims behind you, smelling of urine, licking a dog turd and scratching your balls...they might think twice before talking to you! :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

Arvemor wrote:If you say right from the top you're wearing blood spattered robes, with your hood pulled up, pulling a cart of dismembered victims behind you, smelling of urine, licking a dog turd and scratching your balls...they might think twice before talking to you! :P
HELLO! Would you like to donate a few coppers for the orphans? :)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

XD
Hmmm...I've always wanted to play some manicall wierdo...it's been done right?
Ah well.
Alexander Knight

Little tip, you dont need to shift+f2-f6 you only need to press the f2-f6 :) sorry just nitpicking guys
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Function-Keys can have alternating bindings, depending if you hold Shift-Key or not.
F2 -> Text 1
Shift+F2 -> Text 2
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Ooooh!
So i can have more than 5 presaved ones then?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Yes.
Ctrl+F2-F6 saves the line you have just entered, it can be recalled by simply pressing F2-F6.
Ctrl+Shift+F2-F6 saves the line to the alternative bind, you can recall it by pressing Shift+F2-F6.

Edit:
I have the urge to type "protip" somewhere in this post.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Awesome, thanks.
And sorry for kinda hijacking the thread everyone!
:lol:
Alexander Knight

Keikan Hiru wrote:Function-Keys can have alternating bindings, depending if you hold Shift-Key or not.
F2 -> Text 1
Shift+F2 -> Text 2
Note: On text 2 you do not have to hold shift when you press f2-f6 you can pess the key alone without shift
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Carefuly re-read what I have written, and/or read the manual.

If, in my example, you do not hold Shift, you would see "Text 1", but to get "Text 2" you have to hold Shift.
Both are bound to F2.
Alexander Knight

Oh so you can save up to 10 emotes on there? :D sorry i didnt read it properly. But thnks i never knew that
pharse

Post by pharse »

Actually F2 is detected as "description" by the client. But it has no real use currently. So you don't need to differ all those texts.

/edit: I mean the "normal" F2, not the shift+F2
Last edited by pharse on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I played a gnome that wanted to steal the trollsbane cross but people ignored him it was stupid D:
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

this must be the first time i have ever heard of anyone complaining about being talked to ingame......like lamurglamur said its a roleplaying game and saying hello is just an attempt at, possibly, starting some roleplaying.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I think it's a valid complaint though.

The original post leads me to assume that nuisance ensued, just for nodding in response to a stranger randomly greeting the character.
Eadgar

Re: Hello.. give me a break

Post by Eadgar »

RayJ wrote:I am new here, but come on, who say's hello to everyone they pass. In ((RL)) I am the last person you would talk to, so why do I have to talk with every passerby. If I run past you with a *nods* accept it, it is more than you would receive from me in ((RL)).

People where I live wave at eachother when we pass... they do it when driving too, if they are moving slow enough. The people of Illa (or Golbiath) are more friendly than people in RL. This can be chalked up to a lack of social networking and entertainment. A Illa-person's entertainment is being social, therefore they are more socialible. This is also historically true of the time period that Illa is modeled after; they were much more "polite" than we are to strangers in the road and such.

Remember that there is a culture IG that is unique to Golbiath. This game has been around long enough to have evolved its own feel. I hope you enjoy! I sure did when I joined.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Eadgar wrote:People where I live wave at eachother when we pass... they do it when driving too, if they are moving slow enough. The people of Illa (or Golbiath) are more friendly than people in RL. This can be chalked up to a lack of social networking and entertainment. A Illa-person's entertainment is being social, therefore they are more socialible. This is also historically true of the time period that Illa is modeled after; they were much more "polite" than we are to strangers in the road and such.

Remember that there is a culture IG that is unique to Golbiath. This game has been around long enough to have evolved its own feel. I hope you enjoy! I sure did when I joined.
Arguably though, not every character is from Gobaith originally. A character from say, the densely populated areas of Gynk, where a lot of people tend to be trouble, or, say, people from distant bustling cities, aren't probably as keen on socializing with strangers.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

I rarely greet other people on the street, unless I know them, or they call me by my name. In Illarion that is.
Eadgar

Post by Eadgar »

Moirear Sian wrote:Arguably though, not every character is from Gobaith originally. A character from say, the densely populated areas of Gynk, where a lot of people tend to be trouble, or, say, people from distant bustling cities, aren't probably as keen on socializing with strangers.
Yeah... I don't have any characters that are from Gobaith (I need to learn how to spell that right... *sigh*). All of mine are from Albar (for some strange reason). Though one is from Kang-Arr and so almost doesn't count.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

I'm thinking this is more of an ingame issue. Just because you met one of the many attention deprived characters ingame doesn't mean everyone should change their RP styles. :P
Lidia

Post by Lidia »

Generally speaking, for the times ingame where something requires my attention or I'm busy dealing with a certain issue and somebody greets me, I greet them back with a simple: "Hello" or "Greetings" -- but only because that's just how my character is, friendly. In most cases, if I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, I greet them but continue to pass through and not stop and wait for a response. It is very rare, unless you're Dain trying to sell smithed goods, that the person who greeted you will follow or stalk you all around the island until you respond. My anti-social halfling character who disliked to converse with people will usually just continue to pass by without even using '#me' statements. Nobody is going to force your character to greet them. It's one of those things where sure, if you're attempting to roleplay you will probably try to strike up a conversation with somebody, but at the same time, at least in my opinion, if you're not willing to want to talk to somebody, you don't have to. Just proceed on your way and continue to stroll around in your own little world without saying anything and let the other person take that for whatever it's worth. It's more based on your character's mood and style and not just what other people do in real life, even though I do agree with the fact that everybody doesn't necessarily greet everybody.
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

I'm trying to hide in the shadows, listening to others, choosing my mark. Then someone passes by, just with in screen, "Hello", and the long conversation starts.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

then just emote #me is hidden in the shaddows works most of the time....
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Mmm. Or running might work. That way they know you're being sneaky.