Bandages

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Bandages

Post by Llama »

Three different items -

Simple Bandage, Bandage, Healing Bandage

All three are made by tailors and have no quality modifier (.: can be stacked).

When one of them is used, the user gains an lstate which gives him a faster healing rate for a short period of time. I'm thinking - 125%, 150% 250% as percentages.

There's no 'skill' to use it and nothing overly complicated as that. Would make tailors very wanted for fighters.

Discuss.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Nice Idea. Tailors are not needed much that time.
A leather armor in a livetime, that's it.

Bandages would be cewl. (maybe make one out of cloth[Cloth Bandage], one out of leather[Skin Bandage] and add quality. f. e. rough [...], fine [...], soft [...])
Triton

Post by Triton »

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 38&start=0

Just to remember :)

The Topic starts german first but changed into english by Nitram and Juliana D'cheyne.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Wonderful!

1. doesn't take away yet adds to chars (unlike the critical hit proposal)
2. increases the need for an about dead profession
3. having seen this in other games it is nice to have. I would suggest a relatively low tailoring skill needed to make (simple bandage) yet it be slightly time consuming i.e. can make on their own yet may prefer to ask a tailor, higher skill for healing bandage.
4. hopefully light weight so can be carried easily.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

If you could use it on other people that would be cooler; make a technical use for medicos.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

This needs a) graphics b) scripts. Do it and we have bandages.

And think carefully about how these bandages should work. Boosting your regeneration might be an option, but somehow, I dislike it.

-"Hey Matt let's pwn that lich."
-"Yeah. Wait a moment, I have to apply some bandages on my wounds first."
-"But you are not wounded!"
-"Not yet..."

:arrow: I would use bandages during or before a fight, not after, if they affect regeneration. Bleeding was once (see other topic) suggested, but whatever you make up, make sure it does not become an annoyance without any real gain for gameplay.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Estralis Seborian wrote:This needs a) graphics b) scripts. Do it and we have bandages.

And think carefully about how these bandages should work. Boosting your regeneration might be an option, but somehow, I dislike it.

-"Not yet..."

:arrow: I would use bandages during or before a fight, not after, if they affect regeneration. Bleeding was once (see other topic) suggested, but whatever you make up, make sure it does not become an annoyance without any real gain for gameplay.
Can it be scripted so bandages can only be used after a fight?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Its simple enough to check whether a player is injured before the script triggers.

Say if you're not below 75% of health , you get an error message instead "You apply the bandage around your uninjured self, you feel very stupid"
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Achae Eanstray wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:This needs a) graphics b) scripts. Do it and we have bandages.

-"Not yet..."

Can it be scripted so bandages can only be used after a fight?
No. It could be like eating, you cannot eat when you attack an enemy (the red circle around him). But if you stop it and run away so you dont get hit you have time and ability to bandage yourself.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Yeah, i was too late :D
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Its simple enough to check whether a player is injured before the script triggers.

Say if you're not below 75% of health , you get an error message instead "You apply the bandage around your uninjured self, you feel very stupid"
Great idea. But let's make it 50% to be evil :twisted:
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Or you will only be able to apply it when you feel "Weak" (After your ghosted when the regen is slower)
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Fail.

"Oh, i am wounded and bleeding heavily. Too bad i need to die before i can bandage myself"
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:Or you will only be able to apply it when you feel "Weak" (After your ghosted when the regen is slower)
That would greatly limit the scope of this item. You're MEANT to wait while feeling weak.
-
And I prefer 75%, usually at 50% you're wondering what you did wrong ;)
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

If you didn't do anything wrong, you have no reason to bandage :D

Its a life-saver, i would support 50%
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

i'm for 75%. because in real life that would be a couple nice slices to ya. some broken ribs, deep cut, maybe a severed limb....
pharse

Post by pharse »

Use bandage on self -> LTE for 2 min
Use bandage on other character -> LTE for 5 min

usable only if hitpoints<5000
Faster healing only if hitpoints<7500

tailor skill 15 -- Simple Bandage -- 125%

tailor skill 30 -- Bandage -- 150%

tailor skill 50 -- Healing Bandage -- 250%
Athian

Post by Athian »

Might be worth designing these bandages so that the regeneration doesn't remain active if a person decides to get into a fight while using them. Also they shouldn't be useable if one is already fighting.

So the regeneration rate should stop if player is targeting another player or npc or is targeted. (though i imagine someone could 'target' you without attacking you which would disable your bandages, a way to tell that apart would be nice).In one on one or even multiplied combat a faster Regen rate would work as an excellent buffer to oppose damage. It probably wouldn't save a person in every situation but it would definitely make a difference in plenty of battles.

otherwise it sounds like a fine idea
Last edited by Athian on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dahinar Sharpeye

Post by Dahinar Sharpeye »

Well, crafting is often separated in different parts. "#me starts to work", "You continue the work", "You continue the work", You finish the work". Maybe one could have the bandages to be something like that, but if one comes under attack during the bandaging the process is stopped and you have to start all over. That would make it impossible to apply them during a fight.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Sounds like a good fix you mentioned Dahinar. I would support that method
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Some further recommendations:

-Using of bandage possible if user.attackmode==false and target.attackmode==false
-Using is a LTE/OOP-thingy itself, like casting a spell, no disturbance allowed
-No "use with" command, a simple "use" command has to do the job. 1st priority: Heal the character in front of the user. If not possible, heal user. If not possible, return false ;-)
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

sounds great! nice proposal, great work on it!
pharse

Post by pharse »

This is a sufficient specification for the functionality.

But about the item itself:

What graphic? Production process?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Can't martin make 3 simple ones in between making our awesome paperdolls?

Production process will just be white cloth.
Charles Kingblood

Post by Charles Kingblood »

and since most things have quality, the better the quality the longer the healing bonus could last.
pharse

Post by pharse »

quality means not stackable. And since 3 different (in "quality" = healing efficiency) bandages are planned, I'd prefer the convenience of stackability.
Dahinar Sharpeye

Post by Dahinar Sharpeye »

Perhaps one should need to have water to wash the cloth when making the bandages (if they are to be made of cloth then), that seem to be logical in my eyes, and it would give some of this time-wasting you want. Maybe one need some herbs to make the healing bandages, and maybe to make the normal bandages as well.
Olive

Post by Olive »

what about somethign where as you cant move (or fight) while the bandage is beign applied, and it drains 'action points' for both user, and the one used on, then, once its been applied it takes affect gradually similar to a healing potion but with a obviously lower effect based uponthe type of bandage, slowly ading hp til it reachs the amount it caps at
Llama

Post by Llama »

@ Dahinar - A good tip is - the simpler a suggestion is, the more chance it'll get in. Adding herbs, water, magical liquids or stuff will just make it harder to script, harder to balance, and less likely to be used.

@ Olive - The 'gradual increase in health' given by potions will be 'emulated' by the increase in regeneration speed. So its going to work rather similar to a potion, except its slower and works over a longer period of time - so its not very good for emergancies, but ok if you don't want to wait for health to regenerate for the next batch of monsters. Draining AP for the target will be slightly harder to balance (and open to a lot of abuse :) ) , so I think it should stay out.

Abuse idea #1 - "Quick, bandage him while the guy gets a rope"
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

I have a question.. you can bandage others.. what if you are fighting, and someone else who isn't fighting the monster bandages you.. this wouldn't be good, any way to stop it?
maryday

*Your bloodied bandage itches and might need replacement.*

Post by maryday »

stackability!

bandages -> healing bandages, ((afford alchemy?));
nice for tailors, nice for brewers?,
add some time penalties on re-usability, combat-state and beeing-attacked-state,
add maybe some alchemy/or attrib checks,
and it is going to be a fine addition.

@furry thing; "request affects efford?".