Ghosted

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

We got that at the mo but it dont stop anyone... i think we need a little bit of forced Rp to solve it :)
orgis

Post by orgis »

hmmm not going anywhere with this till someone other than me and you show up :lol:
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hmm...I dunno. I respectfully disagree I guess, but anyway. I leave you to discussion! :P
Alexander Knight

No come back... i need to go to bed :) so you can keep the halfer busy :wink:
orgis

Post by orgis »

soo arv, you think it should continue that there doesn't seem to be anything other than memory lose and a worse reaction time for those who are ghosted?
Alexander Knight

Memory loss? Huh what were we talking about *Walks in circles*
orgis

Post by orgis »

well the losse of skill sometimes means you would forget how to make something you could make before :wink: and i know what ye mean lol
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol, I just reckon it's painful enough as it is without making it more so. I die all the time. It's so gay, and all my characters are extremely weak. Lol, I'm all for making developers do stuff just for our amusement...but I think there are more important things...or maybe better ways to fix this problem.
orgis

Post by orgis »

its not really a dev's problem though.

say you get done in, and the slash that sends you to the cross is on the leg aye? well once you get back, your leg be burst open and your gonna need to have that looked at, it happens again making the lad have weak spot for folk to go for... i know it sounds daft but its better than coming back, pging and thats it all better
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hmmm. I see your point, I guess. I just...don't think it's a huge problem. Some people won't want their character to be forced to be wounded. I ghosted someone once and he said he was just tired and needed practice...he didn't even bleed. I think with freedom the way it is, it allows for more variance.
orgis

Post by orgis »

that brings me back to the thought of clarification for what ghosting is.. once i find that i'll be back
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Awesome.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

There have been other threads on ghosting (a search on the forum will show you a few), PO's have differing opinions but it appears the general consensus is ghosting is severly harmed. The best proposals IMO are ones that add to the game, this seems to take away from some players particularly fighters. I would prefer to RP my own scars/burns etc as a fighter and not have it dictated by game mechanics.
but am I the only one that thinks it a bit strange that yo have a island full of fighters without even a tiny mark on them
I see there are quite a few fighters you haven't met yet!
orgis

Post by orgis »

heh ill come back in the morning, or a few hours too have a look at zhis, too late lol
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Not saying it should be added or anything being proposed, but a certain MUD I played (RP enforced as well) had it where if you died, you were dead, and had to make a new character. It's actually pretty fun, 'cause you'd have to be REALLY careful, especially when you traveled, (Specially forests) 'cause you had noob rangers or experienced robbers who'd just have to shoot you once with a bow and arrow, and, you wouldn't be able to run back to the city for help. (I actually liked the distance weapons system; if you had an arrow in you, and you took it out, it began to bleed, etc, and you were basically dead. It took a butt load of work to not kill yourself after an arrow wound, or treating any kinds of wounds really, since they could get infected too, I think) Just saying, it's actually pretty neat, except the start over crap.
Silo

Post by Silo »

I do like that, wolfsword, but probably hard to implement. On another note...

My main fighter's been ghosted 3 times... Every one of those has left a lasting scar. I think people really should take ghosting a bit more seriously- It's not being wounded, or whacked over the head... Your health bar drops to *0*... You're essentially killed, and Cherga sends you back. What kind of light wound would kill you?...

I hate the lack of rp from a lot of people who get wounded severely... And I hate it even more how people see ghosting as an inconvienence, not something that matters to your character.

So, yes, I really think the penalties for ghosting should be harsher. Maybe a [much] higher skill loss, or the inability to gain skill for a week. Or both. Or hell, maybe you get an arm chopped off, so you can't put anything into one of your arm slots.

The problem I see with the "Find a druid to heal you, or lasting side effects" is that there's not always a druid ingame when you need them. So... No. I like the concept, it's just not practical.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

I agree completely with Silo. This is a problem that can and should be solved simply by a little RP. If that isn't happening, then I'm all for increasing the penalties.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Turga has been clouded..*counts on his fingers* 5-8 times..i 'think' and if i were to add all those scars to his description it would take up F2-F3 :P especially with all the time he has been whacked obur da head by mage skeletons..i dont know...RPing being in pain is only fun for a couple of hours..then it just gets dull..meh..i think its up to the individual player to add scars to their character description. oh by the way if you count the times my orc character have been knocked back, surely you would get a nifty scar from being knocked out by a sword, it would take up F1-F6.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Grokk wrote:I agree completely with Silo. This is a problem that can and should be solved simply by a little RP. If that isn't happening, then I'm all for increasing the penalties.
me agreeing a little, but with the penalties it just kind of sounds like a worse case of memory lose :lol:
Damien

Post by Damien »

I don't know if that can be implemented from the techincal view :

Count up "Serious wounds" every time you're ghosted while already weakened.
With one serious wound, you can only walk slower, and it takes about 24 RL hours to heal.
Two serious wounds, and you can only move extremely slow (as if you were wearing very heavy load).

Have another char putting bandages on your char - that should take some time and perhaps several work steps:
1. use water on hurt person -> #me cleans the wounds.
2. use a bottle of booze on hurt person -> #me gives the injured person a good swig of tough stuff and fills him/her up until drunk.
3. use a piece of Leather on hurt person-> you put the leather into the injured person's mouth : "There. Bite on that. The sewing could hurt."
4. have a needle in hand and use yarn on injured person-> sewing-emote, etc
5. use bandages on injured person-> bandaging emote, etc
You get the idea.
That could then remove the serious wound. Of course you'd still be weakened so you'd have to avoid getting into more fights unless you want more again.
One could knowk out people with like, 10 serious wounds automatically, for a week, by teleporting them to a hospital where they awake in a bed - and cannot leave the place until said OOC week is over.

But anyway, having people actually RP that without technical inforcement sounds more fun. The most just don't do it. ;)
Alexander Knight

maybe we can tie it in with "You are hit hard on the head/feet/hands/chest/legs"

maybe even constant bleeding until you bandage it :twisted:

Than you WILL NEED a medico :) and maybe put a medico skill in there somewhere :)

And if you leave the cut you will feel weaker (Walk slower if its on feet/legs. Slight loss of eyesight if its on head and loss of appetite/everytime you eat your sick if its on chest)

Or even have someone bleed to death :)
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Yes! And people walking forward while a sword is pointed at their throat will Perma-Die immidiately!
Alexander Knight

You were 2 squares away!!
Damien

Post by Damien »

Remember, you can make everything unfun if you overdo things.
One needs to find some balance.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Permanent penalties from character death are not adequate to begin with, I think. A massive but temporary cut in stats and skills would be more appropriate. As in, your character gets "ghosted", and after x time in game or y time logged out the stat and skill decreases are negated.

The way to fix people's roleplaying around the "ghosting"?

Lead by good example.

With things already mentioned applied into your role playing, like scars, debilitations (ever lost some fingers or teeth, or even worse, an arm or a leg?), infections, mental trauma (growing fear of drawn weapons and war for example), or just keeping your character dead after the "clouding".

It's been done before. And it doesn't de-protagonize players randomly if they want to continue playing their character.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

No perma death from x ghostings. It's a stupid idea.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

There already game mechanics in place for ghosting, IMO no further "punishment" needs to be done and actually am not fond of skill loss as it is too strict for something that should be RP'd being a game with a large concentration of the RP aspect. Different people have different ideas of exactly what ghosting is, if you ask, almost every PO will tell you a slight variation. The important part is the RP of it.... don't just "go to the cross" then continue like nothing ever happened. Honestly I have rarely seen this in game and only from new players who if we RP with them quickly learn. I don't think anything needs to be changed from loss of equipment, temporary decrease in health.