Starting Skills

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Sonara Stone

Starting Skills

Post by Sonara Stone »

I think it would be cool if you could start out with skills (not all blue) I mean, from an in-game aspect, it seems odd that everybody has absoloutly no skills when they come to gobaith. Im not saying you get to start maxed out or anything, but a few skill points as part of character creation would be nice.

And... Discuss
Triton

Post by Triton »

Thats not unmeant.

The reason that everyone starts with the same skills, is part of equality.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Yeah, but what if everyone got like the same amount of skill points, but you got to pick in what as part of character creation?
Llama

Post by Llama »

That would be nice I suppose. I hate the concept that everyone who comes to Gobaith is a dodo-head.

Could also base it on attributes.. for an interesting approach.
Silo

Post by Silo »

I truly like this idea... in the RP aspect, atleast. Starting with no skills severely limits background stories... it's a tad annoying.

My idea was... (so newbies wouldn't go on pking sprees right out of the gate):

Have your player start out with all blue skills, and after a set period of time, they get a rather large level-up. (Maybe some skills brought to light green, I'm not too sure of the value it should be) This would let the character get a feel for Illarion, RP a little, etc.

Explained by... You arrive on Gobaith, exhausted from your trip. After a short time, you feel like you are well enough rested to continue your life normally.

What skills are brought up would be dictated by whatever profession you chose... This'd probably be a problem for magic, and maybe druidism... I don't really know all the details there.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

I really like that Silo.. hadnt thought of that.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

I completely agree with this proposal.

I believe that implementing this, combined with less variation in the effects of skill level would result in a much, much better game. And something a lot closer to what Illarion claims to be.

It is ridiculous that a character's past is completely ignored. If you want new players to stay, let them start off with some skills and actually have a character consistent with their backstory. No one plays this game because they want to powergame. People just want to get straight in there and roleplay, with a character that can actually do something and be competitive. Why not let them?

For a game that claims to be primarily focussed on true roleplaying, I find it very frustrating just how anti-RP some of Illarion's game mechanics are.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

a few skill points as part of character creation would be nice.
We have the preset starting packages, coming with some skill points. Changing the numbers takes like one minute. So, what numbers do you propose?
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

I dont really know.. maybe just enough so that if you used all of them equally all the bars would be like, one eighth full? (like light blue)

Im not the sharpest, so if this dosnt sound right change it. Numbers are NOT my phenomenon. ( :P )
Triton

Post by Triton »

You was asked bout the numerics, cause the proposal was taken seriously.
"Well, in my opinion, nothing should be changed."
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

The hard thing about the numerics is there like, arnt any. Its only colors. (or am i missing something ridiculously obvious)
Triton

Post by Triton »

whats about percent?
Use your noodle.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Okay then. Somewhere on the lines of 75% (of one bar) to split and use as you wish Estralis.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Three skills to 70% imo.
Silo

Post by Silo »

Definitely not that far. I'm thinking 30-40% max on a skill. Maybe 50, I'm not all too familiar at where that would put a fighter/crafter.

Maybe 3 or 4 skills to 30-40%... let's see

Sword Fighter

Slashing skill- 40% (too high?)
Parry- 25%
Dodge- 25%
Tactics- 25%
(add any other skills)

Staff/Mace Fighter

Concussion skill: 40% (?)
Parry: 30%
Dodge: 20%
Tactics: 25%
(add any other skills)

Dagger Fighter

Piercing skill: 40% (?)
Parry: 20%
Dodge: 30%
Tactics: 25%
(add any other skills)

Again... I'm not too sure at where this would put a fighter, so revise the above as necessary. I know even less about crafting, so I don't think I'm the best for figuring that out.

EDIT: If it were possible to delay this skill gain to happen say... 1-2 weeks after Noobia, so we don't end up with newbie pking sprees, that'd be great. If this weren't possible to implement... Maybe have a series of newbie quests (on Gobaith, not Noobia), that would somehow get a player to get a feel of the environment, and then give these skill bonuses as a reward?... *shrugs*
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Thank you Silo!!!

I managed to get the idea but really am not smart enough to figure out the details (at least i admit it) So yeah, technical questions can go to Silo, if he/she is willing.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

I think 40% on anything is too high, maybe 20%-30% at the most.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Yeah 20% should be quite fine in my opinion. Just enough to get you interested.

Anything else is a bit too much, and 70% is right out - you'd have 'just started' smiths who could make more than half the items in game.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Okay Hadrian, you and everyone else have proven that Im not overly smart. So whatever you guys decide is best is fine with me (as long as its above 0%)
Silo

Post by Silo »

/revised! (I think. Continue with suggestions.)

Sword Fighter

Slashing skill- 25%
Parry- 15%
Dodge- 15%
Tactics- 15%
(add any other skills)

Staff/Mace Fighter

Concussion skill: 25%
Parry: 20%
Dodge: 10%
Tactics: 15%
(add any other skills)

Dagger Fighter

Piercing skill: 25%
Parry: 10%
Dodge: 20%
Tactics: 15%
(add any other skills)
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Awesome. Will you do crafters too?
Silo

Post by Silo »

We'll try crafting... Don't know too much about it. I'm not sure what to put in as secondary skills... I don't want to put resource gatherers out of work. Anything I'm not sure of will have an asterik.

Please tell me what other skills they could use, also.

Smith

Smithing: 25%
*Mining: 15%
Finesmithing: 20%
*Crafting: 10%

Woodcrafter

Woodcrafting: 25%
*Lumberjacking: 15%

Cook

Cooking: 25%
*Herblore: 15%
*Farming: 15%'

I'll add more. Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to give anyone higher than 25% in something... Maybe give crafters more items, to make up for not having as many skills?
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Yeah, I like it. For those crafters with less skills, you could just give them a random skill, such as also being able to play an instrument decently (20%)
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

I think 20% is pointless, if that is all that's gonna change you might as well just leave the system as it is.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Anything else is a bit too much, and 70% is right out - you'd have 'just started' smiths who could make more than half the items in game.
Why is that a problem? They haven't just started, they have potentially been smithing for years.
Silo

Post by Silo »

Maybe a way for them to pick the extra skill, to go along with an RP background?

So, say...

A farmer gets...

Farming: 25%
Herblore: 20%
-Select- 15%
-Select- 10%
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Grokk wrote:I think 20% is pointless, if that is all that's gonna change you might as well just leave the system as it is.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Anything else is a bit too much, and 70% is right out - you'd have 'just started' smiths who could make more than half the items in game.
Why is that a problem? They haven't just started, they have potentially been smithing for years.
Its a problem because then we'd have all these just started playing illa people being awsome fighters/crafters and there would be no point to even having skills anymore, since you wouldn't have to work for them.
Silo

Post by Silo »

Like he said... you can't have someone start with 3 high level skills. There are two parts to the game- Roleplay, and skill. If it were just a roleplaying game, then everyone could be whatever they wanted, without having to work for it.

We can give people a small boost to add a bit of realism... but beyond that, it's not practical.

I understand that you want to roleplay, and not have to worry about skill. However, part of the game is seeing your character grow.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

I totaly agree with silo. As well, even if its 20% or even 15% its still worth doing. Its seriously limiting and makes no since for every single person who comes to gobaith to be complete idiots. (skill wise)
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Aldan Vian wrote:Its a problem because then we'd have all these just started playing illa people being awsome fighters/crafters and there would be no point to even having skills anymore, since you wouldn't have to work for them.
Wouldn't you rather actually have people playing? And they wouldn't be awesome, just above average. Skills would still determine who can do what and how well they could do it. Crafters wouldn't be able to fight as well as a soldier, for example. Also, you would still have to work if you wanted to become the very best at something.
Silo wrote:Right... I mean, you can't practically max out a skill. There are two parts to the game- Roleplay, and skill. If it were just a roleplaying game, then everyone could be whatever they wanted, without having to work for it.
True. But why can't this be changed? Why not let anyone be whatever they want (within reason, of course)? Why should people have to spend hours upon hours grinding up their skills?
Silo

Post by Silo »

If it were changed, the game of Illarion would change completely. Your character would have next to nothing to work for, and there would be very little variance in the skill of fighters, crafters, mages, etc.

No one wants to play a "normal" person, so they are forced to until they work hard to enough to achieve what they actually want.

If players were not forced to spend "Hours upon hours grinding their skills" (and they are not, for the record), the game would have no depth to it. You would have 45 knights in shining armor who can destroy a dragon with a single glance, 112 mages who can destroy cities when they sneeze, and 67 smiths who could mass produce swords worthy of the gods.

The best I think we can do is give players who first arrive here the chance to roleplay their backgrounds better... I do not want them to have their entire life already lived out, and Gobaith be a place for uber-warriors to congregate.