The Armour Problem

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

I'm a smith and I have no problemo with the time armor lasts. If that happened people accostomed to high end armor theywould spend a crapload o' money every month on ANOTHER set of armor? I think 6 months is a good time for good armor to be in use. Also, the condition and quality gets lower and lower as you use it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

dwarvesarecool wrote:I'm a smith and I have no problemo with the time armor lasts. If that happened people accostomed to high end armor theywould spend a crapload o' money every month on ANOTHER set of armor? I think 6 months is a good time for good armor to be in use. Also, the condition and quality gets lower and lower as you use it.
In general - people accustomed to high-end armour are rich enough to afford armour frequently. The 'fastest' way to push money into economy is that way - you go dig up a map, you have enough money for a high-end armour - you go to the graveyard, you return with great armour and a magical sword or two.

6 months is good time? You've been around here since may - assuming the characters you sold an armour to then are still around - you can expect your next shipment of money right about now.

Armour is what a smith will use to practice - so now he has to throw it away.

Dunno how skilled your smith is - but I'm guessing not too much.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

It is unquestioned that wear of tools, armour, weapons and other items has to be balanced out. Currently, armour lasts long, tools break fast and weapons are somehow in between. Want to help? Become an active developer, as long as you can read code and can run some calculations with reason, you don't need anything in addition ;-).

I'd like to warn against overdone changes, though. If I break my armour each day ingame, I will definatly not spend much money for my next set. I will just use monster dropped junk and the smithes have no business at all anymore. And also, when I never break anything, smithes will become unemployed bums. So, something in between is needed. And, honestly, I doubt that anything written in this thread helps to improve the game, except that the point was raised.
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:And, honestly, I doubt that anything written in this thread helps to improve the game, except that the point was raised.
I think Cromwell's suggestion, paired with an increase in armour-breaking time, would actually give a LARGE bonus to smiths - without giving too many negativies. = Improves the game.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

This is all good, lovely but please... I spend enough time looking for someone who can make decent food, someone else who can grow the things I need to make my own because I've got tired of not finding anyone online with skill or that has enough... Don't make me have to spend days looking and hoping for a smith that either has the skill or is even online. Agh!... and WHY do smith need a bouns anyway. They don't need to buy armour or weapons, there's hadly anyone around to buy food from in any worth while quantity and its not like they can even spend the money to buy a house or shop for them selves. So whats this money into the economy.' WHAT economy. Its just more of MY coin into THEIR depot to sit like it did in my own. Have wear and tear fine but dont make it fall appart after a month. Open up the NPCS make them buy and sell more for better prices. The whole let the players drive the economy does not work never did, just look what happened to the potions... there is another chore we have if you want any. So I dont see how burdening the players with more chores improves the game.
Llama

Post by Llama »

@Drathe:

Ideally - The smiths transfer their money to MINERS, since most smiths can't be bothered mining for themselves. The fact that NOBODY sells ores/ingots, is another matter entirely. Fighters are a dead end for most - healing potions? get from bandits , weapons and armour? Get from loot , food? ahahahah.

Again, there is the TRADING BOARD for a reason, throw a request for an armour, and i assure you, you'll be pounced on.