Letters and messages?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Letters and messages?

Post by Alexander Knight »

Im sorry if its pants its 01:28 :|
Is there any way of writing messages ig like on parchment using !parchment or with a quill so you can pass letters to each other and read them the same as a book?
Lucy Bann

Post by Lucy Bann »

This is Alex's first idea that I would actually like to see in game, even if it is impossible. I just think that this would make gameplay much nicer.

Someone with actual knowledge, please come in and say something.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

proposed and if i remember correctly technically impossible ATM. please use the search function before posting.

edit: it has been proposed a few times that i can remember
Alexander Knight

Its not impossible as we can make out own books and name our bags, all we need is a good dev who i aint abused.
Tanistian_Kanea

alex: i said if i remember correctly it is technically impossible at the moment. meaning that this came from one of the devs (most likely nitters) which means the answer has not changed. however i may be mistaken but that does not change the fact this has already been proposed like 3 times before this.
Alexander Knight

God someone aint had thief coffee yet sheesh
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

It isn't possible, due to the fact that the server is only able to store a certain amount per item, per customized thing. It would require lots and lots of memory to do something like this, and would basically end up devouring the server. Unless you wanted to write a 10 character message.
Alexander Knight

Oh okay dude... thanks yfor the reasonable explanation... is that why they aint doing the "special monsters" thinng
Tanistian_Kanea

i believe the special monsters is due to the need for creatures, graphics, attirbute, abilities, location, loot list, spawn time, illarion history and scripting required for each monster and those with even a randomly generated name would need a random name generator, this would require compiling lists of possible part names, or possible letters. however it is alot of programming and more important things need ot be done right now. the proposal to have instant message would still eat up way more memory then the monsters would (as I understand it), because the monster data is finite while the message data is potentially infinite.

another reason this is not going to be implemented is that this would be instant message and this is not what illarion is about. it might be possible to send ones voice over the wind but not in the way you discribe.

finally if you really want messaging a backway around is set your display large enough so that illarion can be displayed in a window, then simply stay logged onto the forum. PM's recieved on the forums IC are considered doves, and like a dove you have no idea when the person will recieve the dove or when they will send it back. if you get a "dove" while logged IG simply #me something, like #me watches a dove fly towards him, #me holds his hand outsteched and the bird lands on his bicep, it sticks out it's leg where a piece of parchement is attached, #me unties this and reads it. The dove waits on your shoulder. the have the forum window small so you can keep an I on IG happenings. I believe this would create some interesting roleplay. especially if you properly roleplay the responce to the letter. I see no reason this cannot be done.

however even after all of this IMHO this proposal is rejected.
1. it's not possible.
2. even if it where it would take a while to script and there are much more important things.
3. not really what illarion is about so it wouldn't be scripted if it could (some peopels opinions not all)
4. you can use the forums and private messaging to achieve the same result.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Its not currently possible, but if cassandria implements the multiple-data-value it will be.

We can write 'books' by hard-coding them - not by doing so on the fly, the bags on the other hand use a tiny data value - hense the limit.
Alexander Knight

Tanistian_Kanea wrote: another reason this is not going to be implemented is that this would be instant message and this is not what illarion is about. it might be possible to send ones voice over the wind but not in the way you discribe.
Sorry i didnt mean like that i ment it like "X wants to deliver a message to Y ((He does not know his forum account name)) so he writes a note and gets N to deliver it to Y for a price"

Sort of messenger service.. you might even be able to do love note etc
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

.. That can be done with rp.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

i believe the special monsters is due to the need for creatures, graphics, attirbute, abilities, location, loot list, spawn time, illarion history and scripting required for each monster and those with even a randomly generated name would need a random name generator, this would require compiling lists of possible part names, or possible letters. however it is alot of programming and more important things need ot be done right now. the proposal to have instant message would still eat up way more memory then the monsters would (as I understand it), because the monster data is finite while the message data is potentially infinite.
Why can't you read? Or use punctuation? :( Seriously. Special monsters would NOT need new graphics. Repeat, would NOT. I've said this so many times. All it needs is a load of preset attributes set to preset monster names, I reckon it could all be done using the original scripts since it's not mega complicated (I hope), hell I'd have a go at scripting it all myself when I have the time and if I was given the go ahead and some current monster scripts.
Alexander Knight

nmaguire wrote:
Why can't you read? Or use punctuation? :( Seriously. Special monsters would NOT need new graphics. Repeat, would NOT. I've said this so many times. All it needs is a load of preset attributes set to preset monster names, I reckon it could all be done using the original scripts since it's not mega complicated (I hope), hell I'd have a go at scripting it all myself when I have the time and if I was given the go ahead and some current monster scripts.
Or even back to good old Diablo... change the colour a bit (If its possible without completly re-drwaing the npc)
Alexander Knight

Or is it possible to got ALL npc's random attributes? i mean not all monsters are the same strength. like set 'X' monsters strength variable from 7-10
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:Or is it possible to got ALL npc's random attributes? i mean not all monsters are the same strength. like set 'X' monsters strength variable from 7-10
This is such a good idea its been in the game for ages.
Alexander Knight

Oh lol fair enough
Damien

Post by Damien »

In fact, every monster that spawns somewhere can differ (within a defined range, i think) from the others at its spawn point. That counts for monster skill and monster attributes as well if i remember right, and there are different subtypes of monsters with different values for each monster type already.
That's the reason why you sometimes have no problems with a monster and get totally beaten up by the same type of monster just moments later. ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Damien has clearly been PGing his necromacy
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

jau
maryday

I personally see no need for "not-quest-IG-letterbo.kse

Post by maryday »

Never encountered the "toothless wolf"?

How about a workaround, for parchments/ pells, that allows 24 up to 32 characters?
((They might even stay at 5SP each, at the beginning?))
*Walks on, humming the "55SP for a palchange" song.*