Soldier NPC Scripts

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Lucy Bann

Soldier NPC Scripts

Post by Lucy Bann »

I know a lot of you are after the GMs to create a new kind of NPC to fill Troll's Bane, but for the time being, I thought maybe I could work on some static ones, just to give the game a more 'occupied' feel. I want to give these soldiers as much script as possible, so if you could suggest some things, I'd be exteremly grateful. :D
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Not much you can do with the simple NPC language but make them give stuff, say stuff, walk in a random radius.

Not sure what suggestions you're looking for?
martin

Post by martin »

"Not much"...?

Martin
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

I'ts always fun to toy around with the faction value to make the NPCs react different to the characters.

For example:

Code: Select all

"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) < 10 -> "Get out of my sight pesant! I got more imporant things to do then talking to scum like you."
"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) > 10, faction(salkamar) < 50 -> "Greetings citizen. Take care on your travels."
"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) > 50 -> "My liege, everything is in order in your town."
Rye

Post by Rye »

I think this is a bit beyond what you have in mind right now and I will also post in under proposals.
When I first arrived in Bane I was told that it was illegal to walk around town with a weapon in your hands.
I would occasionally forget to sheath my sword and was reprimanded by other players on at least two occasions. This rule seems to have gone out the window as of late. Even before the whole Prince thing began. How about the soldiers giving warnings to players who walk around town with weapons armed?
Perhaps the NPC soldier could say something like "Put away that weapon!" Something to that effect. It is after all exactly what a guard would say!
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

People only cared about people walking round town with weapons out for like the month after the update that showed what type of thing you were holding through coloured names. Then people stopped caring again.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

@Rye: And what would the normal player do after a NPC orders him to put down the weapon? Nothing!
The NPC would repeat his phrase and the people not reactiong on him would make him look like a jerk ;)
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Player doesnt sheat weapon, he gets teleported in a room full of NPC soldiers that own him :P
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

@Grim: sounds fine.
Good text for NPC-guards: the laws of the city ;)
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Keikan Hiru wrote:I'ts always fun to toy around with the faction value to make the NPCs react different to the characters.

For example:

Code: Select all

"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) < 10 -> "Get out of my sight pesant! I got more imporant things to do then talking to scum like you."
"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) > 10, faction(salkamar) < 50 -> "Greetings citizen. Take care on your travels."
"Hello", english, faction(salkamar) > 50 -> "My liege, everything is in order in your town."
Woah woah woah, what's this about factions? Don't remember it being here when I started scripting NPCs. :O
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Maybe you should read the document then.

http://illarion.org/~martin/scripting/description.txt

They just called them fractions.
martin

Post by martin »

Doh!

Is it really fRaction in our simplified language? If so, we better get rid of that!
Noone should belong to 1/2!

Martin
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

I told you that ages ago martin! I even posted that in the Simple Language thread! I feel so ignored right now!

Mesha
Llama

Post by Llama »

Mesha wrote:I told you that ages ago martin! I even posted that in the Simple Language thread! I feel so ignored right now!

Mesha
Hmm.. anyone hear something?
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Just something like... a low... humming... is that you, llama boy???

*throws a cookie because of annoyance, seemingly does not like humming next to her ear*
Lucy Bann

Post by Lucy Bann »

I'm sorry for the confusion, what I was asking was things that they could possibly say so that it wouldn't be a continuous loop of the same three phrases and emotes. Sorry for not being clearer. :oops:
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

FYI - I already scripted 8 NPC's for Trollsbane. Just waiting for them to be put IG.

:D